Sauron

Why did Jackson turn him into a literal giant flaming eyeball? How does it make any sense? It's not scary or menacing it's over the top and goofy.

Attached: images (54).jpg (620x387, 57K)

I disagree.

Care to elaborate? I'm curious, convince me.

Attached: shadowofsauron.jpg (1221x929, 225K)

It's subjective but I just didn't find it goofy. They had to visually represent him somehow and I think they did a good job.

It's a circular portal with a slim entryway. You attribute human qualities to it because that's what people do.

I'd rather like to know why Jackson shit so much on based Denethor. His portrayal is outright character assassination.

Attached: Denethor.jpg (387x257, 16K)

Sauron wasn’t physically doing anything in the story. He was exerting an evil, presence and influencing others. Being represented as an eye allows a literal depiction of his gaze or attention falling over people and gives his country a very authoritarian vibe (big brother is watching)

for time really
in the books the interplay between depictions of Boromir, faramir, denehor, and Aragorn is fantastic, but introducing yet a other very complex character into an already long movie would hurt the main story

so they just took the easiest to convert aspect and used it as a contrast to Gandalf instead, it's forgivable
desu I'm more mad that they made faramir such a mopey fuck instead of a fucking chad that just resists the ring on pure will

also downplays Sauron at the same time
in the film manipulating Denethor was easy while in the book it's made obvious that Denethor is a strong willed intelligent ruler, it's just that Sauron is "that" good at manipulating men

I don't think it is honestly. Sure he's a bit loonier from the start and less competent but it doesn't change him enough to really bug me. His relationship with his sons and descent to madness is the same.

I get that but it just seems so over the top it's not menacing. Maybe it's just my autism but seeing sauron as a giant vagina torch that shines where he wants on middle earth isn't my thing. I mean, ok we can do a giant eye but maybe a bit more subtle?

Is it really? Got a source? Otherwise just headcanon (but good headcanon)

Faramir was a boring gary stu in the books with no personality, fight me. Him resisting the ring so easily was dumb as fuck

bump

I see OP point. What is that fucking thing really? a fucking energy eye that lives in a tower? I can see the "eye" being used in dreams and in some sequences where the characters feel the power of Sauron (like when Frodo puts on the ring) But representing Sauron as an actual fucking eye was kind of stupid

I think the true nature of Tolkiens world was like this, like the eye thing. Though I did find it a bit over the top, especially during ring wearing scenes with Frodo. Because when you first read them you are listening to the detail in the book. Then in the movie it's kind of like spiritual and ghosts and hovering and bla, but I think to Tolkien it actually was like that in his head, and Jackson was just pushing that vision her had of it

Jackson is an unutterable hack lucky enough to be surrounded by consumate professionals who made his dog's dinner adaptation look appealing enough that plebs couldn't see how shit it was.

He also does his best to fuck up Theoden, all of his actions in the two towers are for totally different reasons than in the book making him appear to still be a senile coward. Hackson must have daddy issues

Far off the shadows of Sauron hung; but torn by some gust of wind out of the world, or else moved by some great disquiet within, the mantling clouds swirled, and for a moment drew aside; and then he saw, rising black, blacker and darker than the vast shades amid which it stood, the cruel pinnacles and iron crown of the topmost tower of Barad-dûr. One moment only it stared out, but as from some great window immeasurably high there stabbed northward a flame of red, the flicker of a piercing Eye; and then the shadows were furled again and the terrible vision was removed. The Eye was not turned to them: it was gazing north to where the Captains of the West stood at bay, and thither all its malice was now bent, as the Power moved to strike its deadly blow; but Frodo at that dreadful glimpse fell as one stricken mortally"
—The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, Book Six, Chapter II "

No it is literally a giant eye you retard, as is obvious by how it reacts when the ring is destroyed. It makes Sauron into a ridiculous joke, a giant burning basketball tied to a lighthouse from where he can menacingly glare at anything directly around him

Well you're wrong then. Sauron is explicitly inside Barad Dur using a palantir and he personally interrogated gollum

The Big Scary Eye Of Evil Flames is what the plebeians want, nothing else to it. Movies - and especially big budget movies - are essentially the modern day version of the ancient circus. It's not about creating art, it's about keeping the unruly mob distracted with shiny sparkly spectacles. Movies are for peanut brains, self respecting people just read books.

I guarantee that if a giant flaming eyeball appeared in the sky in front of you youd shit and piss your pants.

You guys would be less critical of the eye thing and most of his choices had PJ not removed Tom Bombadil

Because the average moviegoer wouldnt understand the concept of the a metaphorical eye so they made it a literal one.

He’s not literally a giant flaming eyeball. Like at all. He has a body, he just doesn’t leave Mordor and rarely shows himself. So he uses the eye of Sauron to let people know that he is watching. It’s not there all the time and it’s not a part of him. It ignites at the top of Mordor to let people know that he is indeed present - and I’d say a giant flaming eyeball is pretty fucking menacing for that purpose.

I meme it a lot, but in all honesty Bombadil could never be fit in without ruining the flow and tone of the movie. The thing that upset me to most about the movies is how Saruman is portrayed as basically another stooge of Sauron.

I meant his tower that is in Mordor. Not Mordor. Also after reading more comments it seems like maybe Jackson did make the eye a physical embodiment of Sauron? Can someone confirm that? I don’t like the movies and haven’t watched them in a really long time so I don’t remember, but that would actually be really fucking stupid. But Jackson is a hack who’s only successful movies were adaptions of some of the greatest source material ever, and all Tolkien fans agree that all the changes he made were poorly done. So I wouldn’t be surprised if he did something retarded like make Sauron a literal flaming eyeball.

No you retard he still has a physical form. And the reaction from Tolkien fans was so autistically overblown, from idiots who have no idea what makes a good movie. Jackson made an incredible MOVIE and LOTR experience.

>all Tolkien fans agree that all the changes he made were poorly done
I don’t think that’s true at all. Most of my complaints are nitpicking over thinks like elves wearing plate armor.

Reminder that Jackson added not 1 but 2 occurences of the Wilhelm scream in ROTK

It's the true aspies who are still butthurt about Bombadil or the Scouring of the Shire, in effect changes that would have ruined the pacing of the movies. Sure there are legitimate criticisms, but most of it is just being petty for the sake of it.

Who could direct a new lotr trilogy?

RUSSO brothers

Me