What does Yea Forums think of this movie?

What does Yea Forums think of this movie?

Attached: IMG_6328.jpg (463x662, 47K)

I don't know, I haven't seen it.

Hit me hard tbqh

I watched it and didn't get it. Can't really remember it though. Something about suckin some conmans dick in a cult or something

PTA is the dictionary definition of entry level cinema. He not only steals from better directors, but he does it without any irony like Tarantino.

I am personally fine with it though. Because through PTA, all these freshmen college students will discover Robert Altman, who was the real deal. They will discover Scorsese, the most important American film director of our time, they will discover Kubrick, and the Coen Bros.
Through Altman, they will discover Renoir, through Kubrick, they will discover Ophuls, Scorsese to Fellini. Suddenly they realize PTA was just a child with no original thoughts in his head, that his films just revolve around quoting better directors while adding epic catch phrases like "I drink your milkshake!" and "Pig fuck!" Really there is no bigger clue in to how meaningless his cinema is when the only thing people discuss when mentioning his movies are 'le epic catch phrases, dude!'

You might say great artist steal, but what Picasso meant by this is that great artists are able to understand what works and manipulate it. PTA merely 'mimics'. This is why it is completely obvious who he is mimicking from film to film. Simply put? Mcdonald's arthouse

Attached: 1413756011692.jpg (662x800, 176K)

P___ F_____

Attached: pfh.jpg (1280x720, 62K)

Amy Adams jerkoff scene is kino

A really good film about PTSD

Hoffman is PTA's self-insert. He's leading the audience (Freddie Quell) through psychological and emotional manipulation. The thing is, Freddie doesn't mind because at least it keeps him preoccupied for a while. However, nothing lasts forever. As the film's run time comes to an end, so too does Freddie's relationship with The Master. Freddie takes everything he learned from the experience and uses it in his future endeavors.

Boogie Nights is literally Raging Bull. Good post.

fucking horrible

*HUFF* *HUFF*

yes yes yes

I did watch it but I have no idea what I watched.

Freddie had no idea what he was experiencing. That's the point of the film.

I want to try torpedo juice

One of the best films of the decade

I love PTA and The Master but we need more of this elitism in Yea Forums

>Philip Seymour Hoffman is dead
Fucking Heroin, legitimately one of the best actors of all time.

MY MOTHER

Beautiful movie, great performances. Very good film.

it’s stale pasta what are you talking about. he lists out all entry level directors

That makes sense. They established he had some issues from childhood or someone like that; but still, the movie goes nowhere. I thought at some point he's fall out with the Hubbard character, and then they'd be the bad guys, which makes sense as they're a Scientology-like cult, and then there'd be an arch for our hero who'd stop being an aimless errant, but this never happens. In fact, it never happens and for much of the film the Hubbard character is shown as likeable. I have no idea what this film was trying to accomplish.

>gets chased out of a combine because little asia man can't handle his liquor
sad

It's PTA playing the role of "The Master." That's why the scene where Freddie falls asleep in the movie theater is so important. That's supposed to be us, the audience.

Is this all the movie is supposed to be? Why did he make the cult so much like Scientology? What's the point of having those characters going nowhere and never changing?

hey you sound like you sorta know what youre talking about im taking this opinion and will use it in the future to try and secure a art hoe with big fun bags

It's trite, like all of PTA's films.

I think it's not necessarily about Scientology specifically, although it's a really good starting point. I think it has more to do with the power dynamic of master/slave relationships. Hubbard is to Freddie what PTA is to the audience. PTA is projecting his own insecurities when Hubbard starts to get questioned and exposed as a fraud.

phoenix's performance was phenomenal

>Hoffman’s character is a bitch, and Freddie is a stray dog.
>one is domesticated, and the other will always be a stray.
>just because one dog is domesticated, and another is not, does not make him a master
>real master over Freddie is Freddie
>real master over Hoffman Hubbard is his wife, Amy Adams
>movie ends with an anticlimactic cop out in typical PTA fashion

Phantom Thread was unironically one of the best films I’ve ever seen, and bears similar criticism of highfalutinism. But the Master was shit compared to Phantom Thread, and, to be fair, almost all films are.

why did mike stoklasa have a cameo role in this movie?

Attached: mpc-hc64_T3F2hWjGNF.png (1366x768, 1.3M)

Attached: 14544550022.png (540x406, 379K)

i lived in a kind of culty group for a few years and this movie was pretty fucking triggering desu

Attached: always be checking.jpg (759x431, 47K)