What makes a character like Fraiser Crane likeable, but a character like Sheldon Cooper insufferable?

What makes a character like Fraiser Crane likeable, but a character like Sheldon Cooper insufferable?

Attached: C929C855-A4EB-4080-AE20-7B40D0200000.jpg (1800x1800, 455K)

the writers

Crane can admit he's wrong more easily; doesn't spend his time demeaning everyone; and has the full range of emotions.

god i hate fraiser

and the actor

Fraiser's dad put him in his place every now and then. I don't watch much of TBBT but Sheldon doesn't really have an equivalent foil. He basically controls everyone else in the apartment psychologically.

Frasier cajoles people into doing things his way, Sheldon threatens to REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE if he doesn't get things his way, big difference

Are you sure it's the actual characters and not just one show or the other's cancerous followings?

No catch phrases and he has more than one dimension

The same thing that made it believable that Fraiser would hang out in a bar like cheers. He is elite, but not elitest. If that makes sense.

>ywn hang out with the boys down at Cheers

Attached: cheers-characters.jpg (480x251, 22K)

fraiser is insecure in many ways and he's too hard on himself. all his snobbery is endearing as a result because he's a kind person.
sheldon is an arrogant quip machine who doesn't understand basic human interaction.

this is a stupid question OP because you're only comparing them to each other because they're both 'intelligent'. Fraiser is a successful psychiatrist, Sheldon has no interest in other human beings or their emotions. They are nothing alike at all.

Not being a disgusting faggot

BRAZILIAN!

You don’t totally hate Crane, he has his redeeming qualities. Really his main fault is just snobism, whereas Cooper from what I recall is just a walking meme machine

Frasier had a well-rounded intelligence and worldview, one that you can tell came from a lifetime of reading the classics, experiencing other cultures, appreciating art through mutliple mediums, having extensive discussions with his peers (whose IQ's widely vary), studying many different fields and sciences, etc.

Sheldon is literally just an autist with a high capability of absorbing knowledge, but has the social proficiency of a toilet paper roll. He's spent his entire adulthood learning a very specific field of theoretical physics, making him an unlikable knowitall within his highly specialized realm of knowledge, yet whenever someone discusses a different field or even area of physics he dismisses it as useless and beneath him. Sheldon is closedminded to anything other than what he knows, while Frasier keeps an open mind to all new information.

To put it simply, Sheldon is the spergy fuck that comes back to the high school reunion bragging to everyone about he won some medal for research in his field, then gets overwhelmed by social-anxiety and goes back home to his new-52 forum discussion. Frasier is the guy that is able to hold up a conversation about Faulkner with his old friend that teaches Intro to Lit at the community college, and then can turn around and talk to his old ex-gf's fiance about world politics.

Attached: 1496088309511.png (900x900, 17K)

These.

thred/

Frasier (the show) is self-aware that Frasier (the character) is a pompous asshole and plays it up.
TBBT is unaware that Sheldon Cooper is a prick and plays it straight.

this tbtruthful
plus this especially

Attached: 132132.png (800x445, 151K)

Based

nostalgia

Frasier is written by people who understood the subjects while also showing Frasier is susceptible to them as much as anyone else.

Sheldon Cooper is written by people who skim facebook science websites and watches reruns of Bill Nye the Science Guy as an adult. They also take money to include a COOL NERD THING from the companies because being pretend-smart with childish interests is "in"

>yet whenever someone discusses a different field or even area of physics he dismisses it as useless and beneath him
He literally does this very single fucking time leonard or howard talk about their job

>Hey guys I built a spaceship part for NASA today, isn't that cool?
>No that's so retarded Howard have fun banging sticks together while I do REAL science.. Zimbabwe penny!

Attached: mfwww.jpg (480x480, 18K)

Fraiser had sex with tons of hot women
Sheldon lost his virginity to a fat ugly nerd

You know most people today would say the opposite. If they were met in real life though they’d be equally insufferable.

Niles is a better comparison to Sheldon

Frasier shares nothing in common with Sheldon

>Avoid toe exposure

Attached: cheerful-middle-aged-caucasian-man-laughing-loud-close-up-horizontal-portrait-isolated-white-backgro (1300x957, 116K)

Yeah I mean like think about this way

Typical Frasier line:
>I disagree with your views on how Camus portrayed his views on existentialism in that piece but I'll admit I'm not too familiar with the rest of his work.

Typical Sheldon line:
>That's absurd, Leonard. How can you claim to have a proper understanding of quantum gravity? If memory serves you work in experimental physics do you not? Only one that has an advanced knowledge of theoretical physics such as I can even claim to be knowledgable in that field. Checkmate leonard, or should I say, Bazinga

Attached: good.png (383x325, 205K)

these are the only answers that matter

Attached: a3.png (499x404, 39K)

Frasier: witty, sophisticated, helpful, charming
Sheldon: autism, rude, emotionless robot

Even then, Miles is still a more relatable person since he has an identifiable character arc.

>starts out as the henpecked loser husband of an utterly manipulative mega-cunt
>gets over his divorce
>finally mans up and gets daphne

He actually gives a shit about his patients and especially Daphne, since both deeply care about each other. There was one episode where Daphne was legitimately worried he was cheating on her and demanded to see his patient notes. Before he was married to her, he was very much plagued with self-esteem issues (the rapid response to repair his reputation, his physical attributes, etc.). By the time season 8 rolls around, those problems are very much solved.

Sheldon's flaws are never ever addressed, and the closest thing he has to a character arc is marrying a nerdy post-wall woman. Shit, Miles is on his third marriage, despite his snobbery.

>Miles

Fraiser also has Niles who is basically a heightened version of Fraiser himself, as such Fraiser looks like the sensible, down to earth one in many situations where he otherwise might not.

Frasier is almost a complete caricature. The joke isn't that he is smart, the joke is that he thinks he's smarter than he actually is and likes to brag about it.

>people here have unironically watched the big bang theory
what happened to this fucking board

Attached: 1549001202254.jpg (250x206, 8K)

you redditfrogs are alright

Attached: 1502182162870.gif (560x582, 43K)

/thread

unexpectedly based

Attached: tenor.gif (220x124, 413K)

The final part of his arc ultimately falls flat because the actor had no chemistry whatsoever with Daphne, but his arc was good up until that point.