Is this how big the Death Star is supposed to look to nearby planets while it’s in space...

Is this how big the Death Star is supposed to look to nearby planets while it’s in space? Cause if so then the piece Rey Finds in the ocean does look way too small. Like just the piece Rey finds should be like 10 miles straight into the air at least. Even if the horizon is way deeper than it looks there’s no way it’s 10 or more miles tall.

Attached: image.jpg (768x1137, 353K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_escape
youtu.be/wtoHjGWc2s8?t=1m46s
youtube.com/watch?v=e8NuO5ZLkEo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yeah, they fucked up the size in Episode 9. I recall reading that for Rogue One, they actually did the math of how big it should be in relation to the planet. JJ obviously just doesn't give a fuck.

I mean, we see the equatorial trench in that beach shot in the trailer. In Return of the Jedi, it was this big.

Attached: rotj_trench.jpg (1920x816, 338K)

Of course JJ doesn't give a fuck. Did you even see the Starkiller firing sequence? I'm not much of a nitpicker but nothing about that scene made sense.

He pulled the same shit with Star Trek too.

I haven’t done my monthly nu wars rewatch yet so could you refresh my memory on what was so bad about it?

For reference.

Attached: DeathStar_MCDROON_EC012.jpg (2400x1440, 538K)

The Death Star II would be even bigger, current canon dimensions for their widths stands at 160km for the Death Star and 200km for the Death Star II. Though the old dimensions for the Death Star II sometimes went up to 900km

Attached: DS2.png (1920x1080, 1.95M)

which DS was it though?
the one in RotJ was smaller and unfinished
it could be that instead of the original or the one from the new movies

Not that guy, but
>travels across the galaxy in a matter of seconds
>planets being destroyed are all conveniently within a couple thousand kilometers of each other
>somehow people on other planets not targeted by starkiller can see the beam
Just from off the top of my head. Even though SW is science fantasy the older movies at least seemed to have a basic grasp on "space is big"

If you plan on using your brain while watching movies, why are you watching star wars..? There's plenty of films which rewards thinking like this, because details have meaning.

Grow. Up. You seem to have the brainpower to do so.

Death ray fires, across galaxy finn looks up as if the shit is just outside his planet's orbit. It's the very same shot verbatim spock saw in star trash'09

Why don’t you let me worry about how much retarded I am?

Star Destroyers are said to be 2000m long, so assuming the ones in this picture are close to the dish, it looks roughly 60000m from end to end, or 37 miles. The 2nd death star is bigger(?) so you can add 20% to that outright to make it 72000m/45 mile wide dish.

Of course this is all sci fi writer scaling and we all know sci fi writers are inconsistent retards. But yeah, assume the dish portion is at least 45 miles long.

>All planets are the same size

Why did they bother making death Stars? Wouldn't it be easier to just hyper speed ram the planet?

How the fuck could you even build something that big?

This might be bait and I'm not even going to call you a dummy, I'll just help.
>The planet has an atmosphere meaning that it is of roughly Earth size
>People walking around means it is of roughly Earth gravity

That’s a good question. It’s also a retarded to essentially build a planet that is comprised of more resources than the mass a planet.

This. Just build corvette sized objects made of scrap, put an hyperspeed engine and a droid inside, and ram everything .

>The planet has an atmosphere meaning that it is of roughly Earth size

Attached: 1523182068829s.jpg (221x250, 5K)

JJ couldn't even grasp how big the Enterprise was supposed to be.

Depends on the planet I guess

in the trailer, are they in the forest moon of Endor (where the ewoks live) or in the planet Endor?

>Special effects storyboards for Return of the Jedi refer to a distant orb in the system as "Planet Endor".
> According to the Return of the Jedi novelization, the planet disappeared in an ancient cataclysm.
>The Ewok television films depict a gas giant in the sky, and novels such as The Truce at Bakura and Dark Apprentice also mention a planet visible from the moon.
>The planet is called "Tana" in the Ewoks animated series, which also depicts a binary star system (while other sources depict only one sun).[1]

>hurr durr

Attached: Solar_system_escape_velocity_vs_surface_temperature.svg.png (800x1000, 289K)

He just didn't want to create something substantially smaller than the Enterprise-D or E since it wouldn't be nearly as impressive in comparison.

You are a fucking retard. A planet having an atmosphere or not doesn't dictate its size.
>People walking around means it is of roughly Earth gravity
Gravity is a function of mass. Different densities can allow for two vastly different sized planetary bodies to have the same surface gravity.

nobody thought of such a tactic before Holdo

Quite amazing how a single action can manage to comprehensively break the internal consistency of an entire universe

>why we build missiles instead of just fly planes at things

Attached: brains.jpg (474x355, 24K)

>nobody thought of such a tactic before Holdo
It was actually my main concern since the first time the hyperspeed was mentioned in the OT.
>what if there's something on the path ?
And no one ever thought about it in their entire universe ?

I thought the thing in the trailer was the clone lab from the prequels with the tall aliens? Hence the Palpatine laugh and the whole "he has loads of clones" idea?

again
>Surface gravity differs significantly among the planets. For example, the large gravitational force of the giant planet Jupiter retains light gases such as hydrogen and helium that escape from objects with lower gravity.
>Secondly, the distance from the Sun determines the energy available to heat atmospheric gas to the point where some fraction of its molecules' thermal motion exceed the planet's escape velocity, allowing those to escape a planet's gravitational grasp. Thus, distant and cold Titan, Triton, and Pluto are able to retain their atmospheres despite their relatively low gravities.

having breathable atmosphere + earth like temperature = roughly earth size

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_escape

No. That poster isn't supposed to represent the actual canon

Turn your brain off.

That poster’s scale is off. The original DS was “small moon” sized, and the one in that image is anything but. That being said, the one in the IX trailer does seem to be smaller than it should be if it’s DS2, but not to the degree suggested by this poster.

>The original DS was “small moon” sized
But in the movie it's very close to the planet, like at the distance of the ISS.

Yeah, it appears to be a bit bigger than the fucking moon, so I would assume it’s a tad closer

That can be explained by the hyper-space ramming only working on objects of sufficient mass. A capitol ship being rammed into an even larger ship could result in enough debris to take out a fleet. A tiny hyperspace missile wouldn't be able to destroy an entire planet. You'd be left with having to fashion huge chunks of dense material together along with hyperspace engines capable of propelling it.

>I mean, we see the equatorial trench in that beach shot in the trailer. In Return of the Jedi, it was this big.
>He doesnt know Death star 2 was alot bigger compared to the first one

You should note that user's image is of the Death Star 2's trench. Notice the red construction frames.

The 900km figure started on Stardestroyer.net, a hive of autism where they simultaneously count pixels on a screen and claim that the DS2 is that big "because the Endor moon had Earth gravity, therefore it must be Earth sized". Conveniently ignoring that it had Earth gravity because it was filmed on Earth.

I just now realized the shooting ring thing is an exterior disk not an interior one. I thought they built it like a martini glass with the rest of the station around it

>implying you can't have a large planet with low density to give you some large gravity to earth
>implying all stars are the same as our sun in terms of heat output
Stop posting, you are an idiot.

>exterior disk not an interior one

Eh?

*similar gravity to

This tactic actually was done in the expanded universe. The difference being that SSD's shields were able to completely block the impact, establishing that such cheating tactics are useless.

Gee, why do we use certain objects to ram things, when we could have other objects to ram things??

I think what the people who do all of this math and all of these physics calculations have to respect is that the people who made the movie did not do any math or physics calculations.

You cannot safely infer anything when the filmmakers explicitly care less about this than you do. Lucas didn't care and Abrams cares even less.

Attached: gl.jpg (350x524, 91K)

The impact of something going at lightspeed would do way more damage than any laser or missile.

The difference is JJ's lack of caring takes you out of the movie which goes against the entire reason for it to begin with.

Hyperspace is literally another dimension in the EU. Hitting objects was impossible or some shit.

Good thing Colin left the project. He seems like he just wants to make dumb fun movies like Jurassic World. Nu-wars is SJW dumb shit that's not fun at all.

user the hints have been there since ANH. You don't immediately enter the hyperspace dimension when you flip the switch. You have to speed up to a certain speed then enter it, so while you are speeding up you are still in real space. The same thing happens coming out of it; look at the space scene for ROTJ when the fleet comes out of hyperspace and are still moving faster than normal in real space, and see how far Lando can see the DS2 before getting into normal speed.

They're going pretty fucking fast but not fast enough to blow up like 8 Star Destroyers. At that speed they'd probably just slice right through the main ship and that's it. Actually, considering the size of the pizza Star Destroyer, maybe it would've just made a dent. See Rogue One when an X-Wing tries to hyperspace the fuck out right when a Star Destroyer shows up. It just pops like a bug when it hits it

oddly in my star wars novel from 2001 they used two space tugs at top sub light speed, one to push and release a giant metallic Asteroid into a capital ship and the other to release a net of smaller pieces to wipe out a fighter group.

Then another pirate ship showed up and one of the tugs went hyperpace and roamed it

And yes the Lucas Film and ILM ISP visited my web age every three days

Hyperspace works differently from regular space, its not ships just moving really fast, they warp space or some shit. So you need big ship to do big damage and if its inaccurate as well the target needs to be big too so that you can hit it. And if your enemy has fleet of big ships and you have one its just inefficient tactic.

>Star Wars
>logic
It’s just going to be jew Jew abrams Ewok remake

in ROTJ they say

The Forest Moon OF Endor

Implying it orbits Enor

And it is combined with specific Hyperpace lanes, which a paths that need calculating

I remember in Ep VII there are cameras shown in Han's ship. That also fucks up a lot of the series' internal consistency. How would Luke have infiltrated the Death Star in ep IV without being caught if cameras existed? Leia's cell would have had a camera, and the control room would have too.

It's weird to think just how little attention is paid to the world by Disney

The way it's explained makes me think that Hyperspace is a separate "dimension" but the dimensional phase isn't too far beyond the "realspace" universe, since stationary objects do have a presence in the hyperspace universe, and you could, theoretically fly into the mass shadow of a star or planet. So the hyperspace "calculation" is determining the paths of the hyperspace overlay that are currently safe to travel.

>That also fucks up a lot of the series' internal consistency.

You realize there's an entire scene of them destroying cameras all the way back in A New Hope? youtu.be/wtoHjGWc2s8?t=1m46s

Holdo destroyed an entire fleet of mega ships with one small ship.

>Is this how big the Death Star is supposed to look to nearby planets while it’s in space?
Obviously not it's just a poster you dumbcunt
>wow wtf is this supposed to be chewbacca's real height? He's so fucking short

Attached: 81P3lDJbjCL._SY679_.jpg (444x679, 92K)

Dude that y-wing is so fucked up what a glaring error

Rogue one is low key the third best film in the series

>JJ obviously just doesn't give a fuck.
JewJew doesn't care about minimalistic stuff like that which only nerds give a shit about.

Attached: pGO8DKK.png (1024x976, 2.86M)

The reason people are bringing this is up is because of TLJ where one ship destroyed 90% of the enemy fleet by ramming it in hyperspeed.

The DS2 wasn't that big compared to the planet have any of you actually fucking watched the movie?

Attached: ds2holo1.jpg (856x480, 84K)

The nuEmpire dude knew immeditalty what she was about to do when she turned the ship around. This shit had to be known. Funnily enough the old EU at least had the explenation that hyperspace ramming doesn't work as long as shields are up, but that doesn't count anymore besides the movie made a point of showing that the Supremacies shields were up anyway.

Don't forget, it has to eat a sun to power up.

>Lucas didn't care
>when he had a special consultant on board to make sure that everything stays in canon and doesn't vioalte inUniverse laws
Yeah, sure thing mouse.

>Is this how big the Death Star is supposed to look to nearby planets while it’s in space?
yep, just like how Vader's helmet is actually the size of a starship

Attached: Empire-Strikes-Back-Poster-845F__66931.1530431405.jpg (683x1000, 1.08M)

Nothing about Starkiller base makes sense. It's fucking stupid.

>He doesn't know about Bigger Vader

OP is right tho

Attached: death_star_ecclestone.jpg (961x519, 69K)

Based

I'm not someone who gets too upset about inconsistencies in scale but I rewatched Star Trek: Beyond recently and was confused by a throwaway line about how older ships were built in space, when canonically they always were in Star Trek.

Then I remembered JJ decided to retcon the Enterprise to be built on earth and be well over twice the size it always was, pretty much just to accommodate a cool visual that was clearly in there just for the trailer. JJ really puts those trailer shots before any sort of common sense or care towards continuity.

why even shoot the planet then if you can just swallow it's sun and just move on leaving the entire system to freeze as rogues?

The other ships that got rekt were in formation behind the supermacy and it was mostly luck. In an actual battle this would not be the case. And supermacy didnt even take that bad damage. Sure it split in half but you can probably put it back together with little work.

Attached: boom.jpg (1122x786, 41K)

Autism

In an actual battle you would fire a couple hundreds hyperspace missiles and destroy the entire fleet
Or actually there wouldn't be a real battle since you could destroy every planet or factory immediately at superluminal speed

In "actual space combat" you would never ever see your adversary. You would be firing remote projectiles from millions of miles away or straight up go relativistic bombardment from the outset and send asteroids at you or something.

"real space combat" will be an utter shitshow of death and abject suffering if we ever get there.

>a hive of autism
That's my man.

Attached: 1553681016329.jpg (760x686, 235K)

>he's never heard of super earths
fucking pleb nigger

>>travels across the galaxy in a matter of seconds
I want to know what JJ Abrams smoke that day.

A ship of that size being that close to some planet would be disastrous

>tfw reading about the endor holocaust on the star wars technical commentaries in the 90's

Attached: hands on face man.jpg (300x303, 9K)

A death star that big and close would be beyond the roche limit and would be turn to pieces

Attached: Fig10_17.jpg (497x521, 28K)

"Scrap" with an engine and a means to direct it is a missile you fucking retard.

Why are TLJ defenders such glue eaters?

>A ship of that size being that close to some planet would be disastrous

Attached: 1555245728119.png (665x800, 54K)

Star Wars is not known for its authentic representation of what actual real life space war would look like.

Only really matters if the death star was held together by its internal gravity. It's structurally reinforced, and not a solid mass.
It would definitely exert a tidal stress on it, but I'm sure it's well withing the structural tolerances and inertial dampeners.

>A death star that big and close would be beyond the roche limit and would be turn to pieces

Attached: 1555259714080.png (461x394, 64K)

its just so cool bro

yeah it's another dimension of space but they still cast mass shadows on each other

I'm pretty sure the reason why Rogue One is tolerated by fans is because for all its faults, Gareth Edwards actually seems to have given a shit.

lol youre a funny guy

dilate

I know, which makes them doing that entire plot point at all. They deserve the derision, not given a free pass because the rest of the franchise is handled equally as bad.

If I didn't understand the basics of biology I wouldn't make a movie with a central, crucial, retarded plot point that involves biologic sciences.

Yeah? So what. I killed a Rockstar employee in GTA IV.

They tolerate it because it has Vader.

Attached: 68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f (500x204, 1.62M)

>dilate

Attached: 1555245500173.png (458x456, 79K)

>having breathable atmosphere + earth like temperature = roughly earth size

That sounds almost as convenient as

>It would take roughly 4.5b years for a planet like Earth to develop intelligent life
>Earth turns out to be 4.5b years old

>why would you kill 2 birds with 1 stone

Attached: cannonly.png (645x730, 33K)

isn't this like star destroyers being in a planet's atmosphere

It had the right production design, they got the setting right. the sequels were too influenced by that clean plastic fakey fake JJ aesthetic.

I think you underestimate how devastating it would be to blink a Star out of a star system would be.
The planets would likely freeze in real time relatively instantly. And then you are also not using any of that energy you just syphoned for anything besides moving to the next star.

You'd be getting shot at while you do it, and presumably eating a fucking star takes a while.

>s󠀀oy󠀀boys
>shitting on trannies and not getting pegged by them
dilate

Attached: cucked by a tranny.jpg (435x690, 51K)

Is this also how you explain why we never actually went to the moon lol

if something that big got so close to a planet it would fuck the gravity and the tides. The whole concept is retarded

It took them 1 hour in the movie. The original op for destroying the death star took over an hour. And the Starkiller Base is much more improved.

In reality the Starkiller Base would just have to move past a Star System at a relatively close yet oblique angle and it would utterly destroy the entire star system.
You don't have to fire a shot or eat a sun, just move past it at an oblique angle, everyone is now dead.

>Cause if so then the piece Rey Finds in the ocean does look way too small.
Much like everything else in Disney-Wars. Despite blowing billions on these movies and the best CGI money can buy. Clearly they can't buy vision or creativity. Everything feels so fucking small.
>reborn empire sends 2 guys and a couple TIE fighters to secure their key to ultimate victory
>giant planet-sized death star that sucks up stars feels small
>the sitting galactic government's response to starkiller base is like 12 X-wings
>the battle over said death star feels small
>a slow speed chase
>final battle of second movie involves a dozen or two speeder things against a dozen AT-AT knock offs
Everything about this trilogy is pathetically small. The distances traveled feel small. The faction strength is anemic. The prequels aged like milk graphically and were full of wooden dialogue and cringe romance but things still felt appropriately star wars-sized. The battle at Geonosis, the jedi temple, Utapau, the battle over Coruscant. God I hate Disney

Hell, just all the wide shots of the clone army assembling is more than anything in the new trilogy. The entire first order was there on that planet when they did the scene doing the nazi homage. The guys from the game where you play clone troopers could probably wipe them all out without losing anyone. Not even you know who.

I am in no way defending JJ and Rian's "FUCK INTERNAL LOGIC" approach, but trying to apply any hard SF principles to Star Wars is sheer idiocy.

>The planets would likely freeze in real time relatively instantly
No, there's still plenty of thermal radiation left in the planet and atmosphere.
It doesn't instantly freeze when the sun goes down, does it?

Like I said. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Starkiller sucks up star in Enemy System A. Then once charged up they fire on Enemy System B.

They don't really care of the envirnment, they're here to shoot at the planet anyway.

then why did they open the door by trying?

Goes down, no. If it got syphoned out to nothingness, yes. The dark side of the moon is freezing.

Or suck Enemy System A, then suck Enemy System B, etc etc. Why even discharge any of that energy at all when you can use it to fuel your war efforts elsewhere? It already does extinction scale damage.

Fuck man, you could suck the star with the planet anchored in between and cook those fools WHILE you suck dat star.

>Hell, just all the wide shots of the clone army assembling is more than anything in the new trilogy
That too. There are a ton I can't think of off the top of my head but as much as I hate to invoke the "SOUL vs SOULLESS" meme it really shows how much of an actual artistic vision was behind the prequels. I'm preaching to the choir though.

>Not even you know who.
You mean Delta Squad??

Because it's safer and faster you idiot. You're virtually destroying 2 systems at once instead of 1 at a time with SK inside the system you're trying to destroy. You'd be exposing it to unnecessary risk by directly attacking like that. What you do it jump into an enemy system that is weaker militarily and suck up that star while your escort defends against counterattack. Once you're done charging you destroy another system. Then you hop to another system and destroy 2 more in the same time it takes to destroy 1.

Sev would have ended this farce before it began.

Oh look, JJ sucks at scale again for the 100th straight movie.

Attached: FIX IT JJ.png (420x560, 253K)

Are you pretending to be retarded? If that was sitting on the surface it would be gigantic to look at. Something that large and that close would look like it does in the OP

>the planet
You mean the forest moon of the planet Endor.

Apparently it's the name of the moon.

>forest moon
lol what the fuck is that?

The moon covered in forest around a gas giant that held the shield generator for the death star under construction.

youtube.com/watch?v=e8NuO5ZLkEo

>Sev
It still hurts.

>girlfriend's sperm

Yeah han said something about going through a star in ANH. I always thought that in hyperspace you go so fast that you just phase through anything in your way like the Flash.

Is this how big Vader, storm troopers, and Yoda are supposed to look in relation to other objects? Cause if so then when they actually show up in the film they look way too small. Like just Darth Vader's helmet should apparently be bigger than the Death Star at least.

Attached: vhs.jpg (1415x943, 152K)

Whats this cucks name ill get his gf pregnant for him

>>>/global/rules/2

see

Wait, is his "gf" a tranny for real or is he just retarded calling his/her eggs sperm?

That was just umm... atmospheric lensing causing the big space station to appear many times larger than it actually is.
t. lucas

So ignoring the 500 mile figure first established in the 1983 ILM interview in Cinefex and subsequently published as 900km in the Star Wars Complete Locations book by DK, they ended up shortchanging the size of Starkiller Base as only 660km in the official sources, making it smaller than DS2 and defeating the purpose of trying to act like it was an unprecedented size for a superweapon. Using the outdated West End Games RPG 120km figure for DS1 as the comparison in the holo briefing scene in TFA, it's pretty much using the same pixel counting method showing Starkiller Base as 5.5 times the diameter of DS1. If they had shown a comparison of DS2 being larger than Starkiller Base it wouldn't be all that impressive for the narrative. They even messed up using the 120km figure for DS1 as the comparison, if they had used the 160km figure for DS1, Starkiller Base would have been 880km, and if they had compared it to DS2 at 900km to actually make Starkiller Base planet sized it would have been 4950km.

Attached: deathstar_vs_starkiller.jpg (1024x431, 84K)

>And supermacy didnt even take that bad damage. Sure it split in half

Attached: 1506453835451.jpg (1570x1536, 396K)

It's just a poster

I think they made it smol so you'd know what you were looking at in that particular scene. If it was actual size it would've just looked like a massive arc or something.

Nobody knows what actual space war would look like.

>How are they going to fight Darth Vader if he's a giant?

This whole thread is full of fucking retards.

Attached: starwars.jpg (474x663, 68K)

>authentic representation of real life space war
GO OUTSIDE, YOU FUCKING VIRGIN

Star killer base has to be like 5km in diameter considering it was a habitable forest planet/moon before they ever made it into a weapon

>5km
What ?

With biigger Luuke.