Why is South Korea finding so much global success with groups like BTS...

Why is South Korea finding so much global success with groups like BTS? Why aren't they able to translate this formula to television and film?

What do you think of South Korea's impact on television and film?

youtube.com/watch?v=XsX3ATc3FbA

Attached: 10 in korea.png (1533x818, 972K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_kqQDCxRCzM
youtube.com/watch?v=B4NUan-ZF84
swedishcharts.com/weekchart.asp?cat=s
bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/TYv9MtpnqFRMPKP7QFcYfW/the-official-uk-top-40-singles-chart
shazam.com/charts/top-100/france
digitalmusicnews.com/2018/06/21/stop-pretending-k-pop-popular/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Park ching chong wook is one of the best filmmakers in the world.

Music works a lot better over languages than tv or film. They'd have to dub South Korean films for the US to have any chance because muricans can't read well enough to read subtitles.

>dude why aren't Korean Justin Biebers more important

???????????????????????????

>Oldboy
>Snowpiercer
>Train to Busan
>The Handmaiden
>Taegukgi
These are the only relevant films to come out of South Korea.

It should also be noted that Snowpiercer only has two (2) Korean characters.

Reread OP American. The question was why aren't Korean films as successful as their music videos. The obvious answer is subtitles are a pleb filter.

The thread was an excuse to post OP pic because it blows my mind that grey alien hybrids find that guy attractive. It's also hilarious that the guys in this band are more feminine than western females.

Attached: 1553756221146.gif (680x813, 388K)

BTS is so bad, I wish TWICE could have their popularity.

>Why are gooks being shilled
>Foreign investors
>Prostitutes

Attached: 'K-pop’s Great Gatsby' Seungri charged over prostitution ring.png (715x1263, 453K)

>dude the only reason Asian twinks aren't more popular is due to lack of words to a screen

how dare you honk at me

The OP’s post is about why the Korean Justin Bieber’s ARE popular though.

Korean music is shilled as fuck. They just figured out they can't put their eggs in the same basket like they did for Psy. I dunno if they know their artists have a shorter shelf life than 90s boys bands though.

Reread that post and OP, there's nothing there about Korean twink actor popularity. Not every Korean film uses twinks for male actors. The question was regarding Korean film popularity in general, not just the ones with twinks in them. OP may have been misleading.

Attached: 1553670399606.jpg (549x559, 43K)

so this is a k pop group? why not post this on Yea Forums?

>Why aren't they able to translate this formula to television and film?
>What do you think of South Korea's impact on television and film?

>so this is a k pop group? why not post this on Yea Forums?

Attached: 1551244505140.jpg (490x488, 34K)

>Why is South Korea finding so much global success with groups like BTS?

They've still got a long way to go compared to the American and British boybands that come and go, and the same can be said for television and film.

Attached: Boy bands.jpg (1044x362, 133K)

Some success exporting to China and SEAmonkeys != global success

>Boybands peaked right before illegal downloading got popular

great relevant post.

Kingdom was great, you retard.

>illegal downloading got popular

Downloading music illegally has been popular for at least a decade if not more, and as you can see One Direction shits over BTS in terms of sales. If you really love a band you'll pay money for their music.

There are plenty of white girls into k-pop shit too now

Snowpiercer was only made by a Korean. It was an American movie, though.

Says more about One Direction's popularity than it does about the dip in in sales after people stopped purchasing music.

They may not be as popular as American or British bands but they're stand outs in terms of Korean entertainment.

Fuck YOU and your ADVERTISING CANCER!

I could destroy any of these malnourished fags in a fight

Attached: 898989898989898.jpg (785x757, 45K)

one direction is an unironically good boyband

>Backstreet Boys still exists
HOLY SHIT
Aren't they old now? Who listen to them?

I like this

youtube.com/watch?v=_kqQDCxRCzM

Nostalgiafags.
They just announced a comeback tour.

That's like saying there's plenty of whites that are into anime. There are some but they're not mass market at all and you're lying if you say otherwise.

Only reason K-pop is so popular in the west is because it’s almost indistinguishable from generic American pop garbage.
It’s just foreign enough that it’s intriguing to general audiences, but familiar enough for them to enjoy it.

I think I read somewhere that they same Swedish songwriter writes or co-writes the majority of the same American and Korean pop songs. Shit was insane. I'll try to find the article.

I mean Twice is still really popular

>Only reason K-pop is so popular in the west
Why do i keep seeing this parroted? kpop isn't remotely popular in the west, it's too niche

You will never hear it on public radio, it doesn't sell close to other mainstream western artists

meant for

>You will never hear it on public radio
They've been on the radio over there, done US tour also or doing.

Been on late night talk shows etc

>Fans were excited to hear BTS' new hit song "Fake Love" on American radio stations, but they were surprised it was being censored. According to fans, a line in the song's lyrics that refers to the Korean word for "I, Me, Myself", "naega," is being censored.

100 million view in 1 day

#1 trending in america

Kpop is only good to masturbating to gook female fancams.

Attached: 23547.jpg (569x428, 25K)

No one gives a shit about radio anymore. Have you even listened to it recently? Half the shit they play is 10 years old.
Is it as popular as the most popular artists in the west? No. Is it more popular than the majority of niche shit. There are more people in LA listening to BTS on spotify than in Seoul

Attached: bts.png (246x362, 29K)

Gook movies are pretty good. That said, kpop is absolute garbage music, fuck off.

Attached: wailing.jpg (2765x4096, 3.76M)

You're right those arena shows kpop artists do aren't real

youtube.com/watch?v=B4NUan-ZF84

KINO
I
N
O

>130,000
>monthly

These numbers seem really low, can you compare them with someone like drake, ed sheeran or maroon 5?

Because there are a lot of homos around these days who like this shit.

Actually pretty based, illegal prostitution is dumb as fuck.

Second best selling artist in 2018 after the nigger jew.

People like watching robots dance.

Look, I have a little girl inside of me, in my soul.

I can tell you that Mic Drop, from the perspective of a little girl, is the best MV ever created.

So BTS deserve the success. Or at least the people behind them do.

Who do you thing makes up most fans of girl groups. Men who want to fuck the slutty gook members.

In korea, right?

Attached: 2018bestselling.png (784x790, 55K)

Nigga no one is comparing them with drake or maroon 5 you dipshit. People just said they were popular not literally the most popular artists in the west
Here's Childish Gambino's numbers instead so you can compare them to someone relatively very popular but not number 1

Attached: childish.png (230x362, 28K)

>Snowpiercer
>Train to Busan
cringe and bluepilled

The world nigger. Just google. Goddamn.

Attached: 32464354655687436.jpg (624x535, 43K)

The Jews don't let it on radio because despite being somewhat degenerate, it is still too pure for Western degeneracy.

Good-hearted Western girls have to go online to access it.

Rather have my daughter getting hot to Jimin than to some Western trash.

I don't get why women swoon over these onions slanties. I mean for that matter I don't get why people in general like gook music, even the girl groups are fucking trash. Literally the fakest group of people on the planet and people slurp it up

Because LA is packed with Koreans. Look at the crowds for the arena shows. It's 90% Korean-American high school girls.

Wat

BTS fandom is about as multiracial as a liberal's wet dream.

Jawas, Spics, Aryans, Slanteyes obviously. I don't see many blacks in the crowd though.

In heaven Koreans make the pop, the Japanese make the cartoons and the Chinese make affordable merchandise.

In hell the Chinese make the pop, the Koreans make the cartoons and the Japanese make extremely fucking expensive merchandise.

>OP only watches the white remakes of asian films
that's your problem not ours
besides have you not seen the tons of yellow fever drama on netflix and most dance class girls weebs and koreboos

I'm pretty sure she-boons love Kpop.

>halsey
hnng

>The world nigger.
We're not talking about the world, we're talking about the west, they don't sell

i'm literally googling top of the charts and i see KPOP nowhere

(pic related is sweden)

swedishcharts.com/weekchart.asp?cat=s

>Here's Childish Gambino's numbers instead
no, post drake's or ed sheeran's, childish gamibo isn't nearly as popular as you think

Attached: sweden.png (739x845, 128K)

all style and no substance, don't see the appeal, they will flame out in 2-3 years like all these gook groups do and some other plastic people will replace them as the fad group

norway

>no listed kpop acts

Attached: norway.png (1450x703, 374K)

Nice trips, but they are designed to fail. The creative force aren't the band, the creative force are the massive company that micromanage them and will create and micromanage their replacements. Pop music in the far East is in an even worse corperate dystopia than ours.

I'm pretty sure every white person born after the 90s have seen at least one anime in their lifetime

UK

bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/TYv9MtpnqFRMPKP7QFcYfW/the-official-uk-top-40-singles-chart

Attached: uk.png (746x968, 251K)

The expensive Japanese stuff is great though. They had Gibson and Fender bootlegs that sounded better than the originals at one point. James Hetfield owns a bunch of them

France

shazam.com/charts/top-100/france

Attached: FR.png (1136x952, 119K)

Germany

I'll stop now, but if you want to search the top of the charts for other western nations it's the same story, kpop isn't close to being popular in the west

Attached: DE.png (1595x747, 426K)

>if you want foreign music you have to order it from the source country which only boost that countries sales numbers
>countries that don't have a local distributor for foreign artists don't chart for local top billboards

wait you're actually surprised that they don't show up on local charts

i'm sure they could secure local distributors for something as popular as kpop

digitalmusicnews.com/2018/06/21/stop-pretending-k-pop-popular/

Attached: article.png (772x700, 106K)

>US music industry buying play time so their song is played every 20 mins in every city out sells kpop group who only gets playtime in 1 country

Repeatedly playing the same shitty song over and over until the listener becomes familiar with it will make their brain think they like a shit song (its also good to make the song sound like other popular songs) Its a manipulation tactic in the music industry that help sell billions in records, so no matter how popular it is if you cant get air time its not worth securing local distributors because it can't increase its base but that's all besides the point which is that kpop outside of korea has increased 10 folds in the west during the last decade.