IN THE NOT-TOO-DISTANT FUTURE

Attached: mst3k-moon.jpg (1920x960, 236K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC6dyS5uZ4TwMAcAPUhK_FIAtT7n3rVZM
youtube.com/watch?v=sa42pxJyq64
youtube.com/watch?v=U96sqmTFsss
twitter.com/AnonBabble

BUT HIS BOSSES DIDN'T LIKE HIM, SO THEY SHOT HIM IN THE FA-A-A-A-ACE!!!

Attached: 1551039171019.jpg (540x960, 224K)

I tried to get into this but meh. Are there better episodes?

rewatching the first season of the Jonah era right meow.
honestly it's kind of just good background noise, shit to pass out to. All the episodes have good gags, some have a lot more than others.

MITCHELL

oof my penis

Attached: 1554342385543.jpg (214x236, 11K)

did you start from the beginning?

No.

noice digitz

RUMP

MST3K isn't really fun to watch alone, you need to watch it with friends over drinks or whatever you poison is

Try Santa Clause Conquers the Martians, "Manos" the Hands of Fate and Night of the Blood Beast from the Joel era. Or try Space Mutiny, Final Justice and that Mexican Santa Clause flick from the Mike era. Ignore the Jonah era and get into rifftrax after that.

Just watch while your browsing /TnA/, its not really something you give your undivided attention to.

Let me guess, you only watched Joel

Attached: 1554430619299.jpg (1400x569, 153K)

Is this the problem? I figured the original would be better.

Best host here

Attached: Crow_2018.png (360x450, 179K)

Both eras have their strengths. The Joel era had fun, really obscure references and better pop culture jokes while the Mike Era was dryer and wittier. Mike Era does have stronger riffing overall but I think the Joel Era is comfier and the skits were more memorable.

>BUT HIS BOSSES DIDN'T LIKE HIM, SO THEY SHOT HIM IN THE FA-A-A-A-ACE!!!
>oof my penis
I read this like the "GET! ME! DOWWWNNN!" from the Mike theme song and it made me lel
>OOF! MY! PENISSSSS!

>Ignore the Jonah era
Why? the riffing is just as good as the other eras.
it's all the conceptual stuff they fuck up, but the riffing and host segments are still good.

SOMEWHERE ABOVE CLOWNWORLD
MIKE NELSON HAD HIS ROBOT PALS
MAKE HIM INTO A GIRL

Watch out fer snakes

I watched the first episode and I just wasn't feeling it. It seemed like they were making lots of "current" pop culture references and I didn't get them because I'm fucking old. It seems like they were trying to get a new younger audience as opposed to the original MST3K fans.

I don't like Jonah, I despise Felicia Day and Patton Oswalt, and the riffing is too dense.

Which, just to be clear, there's nothing wrong with. But I just didn't feel like the target demographic.

the mike era is way better than the joel era but the skits in both erss suck imo. the legend of boggy creek 2 is good one to start with

>the riffing is too dense
This was another issue I had with it. It was like there was zero downtime, zero breathing room, just shoving back to back jokes in.

>Godzilla vs Megalon
>Godzilla vs The Sea Monster
>Cave Dwellers
>Pod People
>Gamera vs Barugon
>Time of the Apes
>Fugitive Alien
>Gamera vs Guiron
>Fugitive Alien 2
>War of the Colossal Beasts (for Mr. B Narual short)
>Santa Claus Conquers the Martians
>City Limits
>Being From Another Planet
>The Day the Earth Froze
>Manos The Hands of Fate
>Warrior of the Lost World
>The Magic Voyage of Sinbad
>Eegah
>Mitchell
>The Brain That Wouldn't Die
>Alien From LA
>Santa Claus
>The Sword and the Dragon
>Escape 2000
>Laserblast
>Jack Frost
>Prince of Space
>Invasion of the Neptune Men
>Space Mutiny
>Time Chasers
>Overdrawn at the Memory Bank
>Pumaman
>Werewolf
>Hobgoblins
>Touch of Satan
>The Final Sacrifice
>Devil Fish
>Soultaker
>Girl In Gold Boots
>Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders
>Future War
>Boggy Creek II

For my money, those are the best MST3K epiodes. There are others that are pretty good, but these are the essential viewing ones. The only Netflix era episodes that I've seen that approach entertaining are Cry Wilderness, Carnival Magic, and Mac and Me, and most of that is the movies' general weirdness doing most of the comedic heavy lifting.

For me it's Night of the Blood Beast. I watch it every Turkey Day

Attached: 1382027250116.png (1078x876, 696K)

I approve of this list

Based list. I'd also recommend Bride of the Monster (watch this episode before Manos for short continuity,) The Brute Man, Blood Waters of Doctor Z AKA ZAAT, and Track of the Moon Beast

>It stinks!

JOEL WAS A NEO-NAZI ALL ALONG??!

>friends
what is this, redit?

Here's a fairly comprehensive playlist of MST3K episodes, should anyone not be aware of it.

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC6dyS5uZ4TwMAcAPUhK_FIAtT7n3rVZM

Great fucking list right here

Attached: 1552873886471.png (484x488, 466K)

RADAR!

I tried to watch MST3K a few years ago, got around 20 episodes in before I got distracted with other stuff and forgot all about it, this thread made me remember how much I enjoyed it though, gonna blaze through in the near future, cheers user

NO SPRINGS

Try episodes that feature movies from the 80's, mostly the Mike Nelson ones.
>Space Mutiny
>Deathstalker and the Warriors from Hell
>The Final Sacrifice
>The Pumaman
>Time Chasers
>Overdrawn at the Memory Bank
Roughly in that order, then move on to the best of older films in this order roughly as well:
>The Incredibly Strange Creatures...
>The Girl in Gold Boots
>Jack Frost
>Riding with Death
>Sidehackers
>The Hellcats
>Master Ninja
>City Limits
A lot of people will mention "Manos: The Hands of Fate" as being the greatest ever for some reason, but i never got why. It's not a bad episode, but definitely not one i would recommend as a first watch.

Bonus episodes:
>Kitten with a Whip
not a particularly great episode, but it stars Ann-Margret who was unbelievably sexy back then
>Alien from LA
same, but with a young Kathy Ireland

Attached: jack-frost-oc8t1zcHGQ1v1zngbo1_500.gif (475x350, 1.83M)

now this is a good list

(cont.) also, a lot of filthy weebs will attempt to meme you into watching a shit ton of Godzilla flicks and you'll be memed hard by hipsters and contrarians who want to load you up with Joel episodes, but ignore them. That says nothing about the Netflix reboot and the untold shilling there, but you should already know to avoid that until you finish the classics.

You could probably get away with viewing something like "Prince of Space", but in general I would avoid all obscure older genre films if you're having trouble with sticking with it. Go with 80's cheese to start, move on to somewhat older fare like pic related, but definitely if it's in black & white, skip it for now.

Attached: jack-frost_mj3ssuctIx1rhd46ao1_400.gif (300x209, 514K)

fucking christ

Attached: 1496713686180.jpg (1280x1280, 426K)

It Lives by Night is borderline unwatchable even with the riffs. Legitimately might be the worst film I've ever seen. Not in a funny-bad way either, it's just awful.

i enjoy that one just for how ridiculously 70s it is

I just have the episodes on Netflix. Besides Gauntlet and Return episodes their is just some old ones.

The only old ones are:
Day the earth froze, hobgoblins, beatniks, sinister urge, bride of the monster, the incredibly strange...(something), Gunslinger, Deathstalker & the war...(something), beasts of yucca fields and the atomic brain.

The first episode was straight garbage. Even after that when it gets "better," you still have two bots who already sound way too similar with almost no range in their vocal abilities, spamming jokes at a buzzkilling breakneck pace.

Plus the new mads are really fucking bad, like holy shit why.

see

Looks like I'm watching Boggy Creek II, Hobgoblins, Deathstalker and the Warriors from Hell and Sinister Urge.

Incredibly Strange Creatures is 60's horror
Deathstalker & The Warriors from Hell is 80's sword and sorcery fantasy.
Both are really great MST3K episodes. I'd recommend those if that's all you have available (but you can find a lot of youtube i think).

Oh shit, Youtube FTW

If you dont mind watching on Youtube, then start with Space Mutiny. You wont be disappointed.

youtube.com/watch?v=sa42pxJyq64

Attached: space_mutiny-17.jpg (721x541, 60K)

If you want more holiday stuff, rifftrax has pic related and a Whizzo special that were pretty entertaining.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 137K)

>Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny
>Whizzo
>Star Wars Holiday Special
>Santa's Village of Madness
>Shorts-stravaganza
>Magic Christmas Tree

All their Christmas stuff is pretty strong.

space mutiny is not the greatest episode, but it is the greatest entry episode

The new shit is shit. Mike >>>> Joel.

yes, that was the whole idea of my list since these threads end up being spammed by elder-tier "best episodes" for advanced autists or mike v. joel flamewars and the newfags with zero attention span never find out the best entry points.

>kill yourself

Attached: Cambot5to7.JPG.jpg (185x139, 6K)

This 100%

Anyone else think Pearl was way better than Dr. Forrester?

yeah i hear you man, i've been a fan since the late 90s watching it on tv, having the dvd set with space mutiny is how i'd always try to introduce new people to the show

kek
is this confirmed? i mean that's what it sounds like but why would they have him say that?

they're all on youtube

depends if you find annoying plot-driven host segments better than thinly-veiled homoeroticism

Well if you put it that way...

Hell no

The show is important in my relationship with my father. During early childhood, I watched it with him, and I have pleasant memories of watching countdown-marathon stuff (Mitchell, Zombie Nightmare, Manos). Then the local monopoly cable company dumped Comedy Central, and we had a drought. A few years later, the Mike years on Sci-Fi got into full swing, and they'd broadcast mid-morning. As a teenager, I couldn't be fucked, but dad would watch religiously. Growing up, I also shared Joe Bob Briggs' Monstervision with dad, and various rentals.

I knew the cultural value and basic Joel-era references all along, but I'd been away for several years. When youtube starts getting good (I'm about done with college by now) I find full episodes online: dad and I sit at the small computer monitor in his little midwestern house and IIRC watch final sacrifice and one or two others. I start to appreciate the adult-riffs with the kid-stuff. Dad doesn't do superlative opinions, but around this point he does tell me very explicitly that, for him, MST3K is the funniest television program. He expressly correlates its intimate humor to our midwestern situation: stuff about "the ducks" of the Wisconsin Dells, other pieces of comfy regional humor which only we can really know. A private language.

Watching space mutiny, its pretty comfy. I can see slipping in and out of actually paying attention to this.

is this bait? if you're actually looking for something to barely pay attention to just listen to podcasts

Browsing and watching, I get like 60-70%

if your'e only paying attention to 60% of the show, depending on your age, you going to get like 20% of the riffs. seems like a waste of time on your part, at the end of the day

it is in deed very mid western in humor. "Oh look! his dad is Larry Zonka" it has a silly or funny feel with very little mean spiritedness.

At the end of the day, I'm generally just trying to waste time, but I will take note of your advice. I'll keep watching, my interest level on an episode-to-episode basis will probably relate to the movie they are showing.

I dont know user, MST3K OG Style had the movie breath a bit before the riffing would come in again, i actually subscribe to amazon prime just for the rifftrax and i played a few of them on my TV while i played something like Dragon Quest 11 on my computer.

It's heavily reliant on era-appropriate references, if you aren't over 30 you're never going to really get MST3K.

This is like something william gass would write about mst3k. Good job.

I'll be 30 in a few months so I'm right on the cutoff and I can tell but its enjoyable so far. Relaxing, which is nice.

yeah I'm turning 31 this year and I've been watching it for like ten years and love it. some of the references I don't get but most of them still make me laugh because they're usually funny even without the background, just in the context of the scene

Didn't that guy have a bad relationship with his father though? Dad and I get on great.

i was going to type up a whole thing about riffs and when they were written and what they were referencing, but you know what, fuck it. if you're enjoying the show in some capacity, carry on and enjoy it.

Long effortposter here. Like Flying Circus, I find that MST3K works on two levels: the silly goofy shit that children can understand (skits, Terry Gilliam cartoons, Eric Idle generally, Crow looks cool), and the "adult-reference" jokes. In each case, I watched both while quite young, left them alone for years (internet and distribution weren't doin' during the mid-late 2000s, also personal lack of interest at the time), and then "re-discovered" each as a young adult, now appreciating the references.

I felt quite bright when I re-watched one ep with like an almost-black screen and some white shit off to the side maybe and one of the gents says: "A Robert Motherwell painting."

I think it helped that I grew up in an era when Nick at Nite and TV Land were showing a lot of the shit that they would regularly reference. Same with The Simpsons.

IIRC "Block e" is the hyper-autistic repository of all riffs, references, provenance, etc.

Is RiffTrax any good?

I think jonah was totally fine, sure Felicia Day and Patton Oswalt are the worst thing known to man but Jonah and the new voices for the bots are fine

Way better then the Mike Era ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Shorts are good but a lot of the movies are weak sauce. Rifftrax just doesn't work when it's about good movies

Weak bait post my man

Of course the guy defending nuMST3K would be a Joelfag

"era appropriate" only in the sense that you would need to have general American cultural literacy and a lot of young people lack even that. It's not full of "90's references" though. In fact, they intentionally wrote it to avoid current references of the time. They slip in here and there, of course, and with a 25+ year old show, even some of the more general references are going to be lost on zoomers and young millenials as the internet as deprived younger people of a single cultural canon to be raised with. A lot of what you might think of as "stale references" are just obscure. They name check a lot of ideosyncratic film trivia in MST3K especially.

Idk about that but your prose was sparse but evocative

>better than Mike era
Patently false. Like a lot of people have said, the new season is too dense and I would say inauthentic. Inauthentic obviously because it is necessarily an homage but also because the speed of delivery makes it come across as overly scripted.

Alright Space Mutiny was pretty good. I'm doing Deathstalker and the Warriors from Hell for fantasy.

Has anyone seen Rifftrax for Star Wars?

Attached: 1446197249059.jpg (962x557, 91K)

I saw one or two of the Rifftrax for actual big budget movies and i honestly couldnt make it through them. Had to give up halfway through The Last Jedi. The only one that I saw that was actually worth watching was the Rifftrax version of Battlefield: Earth. In my opinion, it's really only good for traditionally campy/bad movies... B-movie tier shit.. and Battlefield: Earth is like a high-budget B-movie with big name actors.

the prequels with the rifftrax commentary are the best.

That makes sense.

depends on who the writers are. the younger writers on shit wages are usually pretty awful. the ones written by mike, kevin, and bill are usually pretty good, like Rats: Night of Terror.

>no I Accuse My Parents

>no 513
You must be a head in a pan.

BANG

Unpopular opinion:
>KTMA most pure MST3K

>literally discover this show a few days ago
>all of a sudden thread about it appears on Yea Forums

is this just conformation bias or is the simulation trying to pander to me?

Attached: 1544681605845.png (1324x992, 464K)

you have spyware on your computer. Half the threads on Yea Forums are seeded by bots.

ON A BOARD CALLED Yea Forums
THERE WAS A GUY NAMED JANNY
MUCH HEAVIER THAN YOU OR ME

MST3K threads aren't that uncommon, it's just that in the past you likely never even noticed them.

MST3K threads are extremely common
I don't know how you haven't known about this show your entire life, though, it's one of the most well known of all time

Watch Rifftrax. I can recommend Harry Potter, Twilight and Alien.

just finished watching Tormented
sum genuine laffs

This scene always made me laugh
youtube.com/watch?v=U96sqmTFsss

did we ever find out why she always called Crow "Art"?

One of the host segments way back had Crow being called "Art Crow" as a reference to Art Bell. Some kid thought that was his actual name and sent in a drawing with Crow labelled as "Art".

No Squirm or Boggy?

the wife was qt so i gave it a pass. it's amazing they found yet another movie where i greasy lunkhead named paul turns into a monster.
invasion of the neptune men and hamlet are legit boring and worst

anything with reb brown in it is automatically so bad it's good

>No The Beatniks
>No Bride of the Monster
>None of the Coleman Francis movies
>No Invasion of the Neptune Men

Watch Bride of the Monster

>Oh no! Now Bela has the strength of 20 heroin addicts!