The Master (2012)

When will this fucking masterpiece stop being misunderstood? When will critics looks past the tenuous link to scientology, and move on from the absurd belief that a non-traditional plot makes the movie indecipherable? This is a canonical work in American cinema

Attached: THE_MASTER_BOCETO_WEB_BAR.jpg (800x1142, 357K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/uiD6bnqpJDE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Help me understand it. I watched it and enjoyed the acting and the way it was shot, but just felt like the plot was lacking especially compared to the other pieces of the movie

Excuse me

Attached: PIG FUCK.png (720x384, 813K)

imagine thinking pta has some unrealized profundity about him

It’s just to boring.

There is nothing particularly complex to the plot. It is about two men broken in different ways and their relationship
PTA started making films at a very young age. Is it so ridiculous that he could have matured since then?

The Master is PTA's attempt at outing poseurs by making something utterly disjointed that vaguely resembles a narrative feature just enough that it confuses them into praising it out of fear for being labelled a pleb.

An intentionally terrible movie carefully emulating a masterpiece. A true work of genius. Why do you think the plot of the film involves a cult leader who feigns insight and brilliance but is secretly full of shit? It's a metaphor for the film itself.

tl;dr if you think The Master is actually good you're a pleb. This is the purest form of McDonald's arthouse

Attached: 1420841617611.jpg (662x800, 176K)

What is non-traditional about the plot?

Also, why the fuck would people think it was about Scientology? You know, besides all of the blindingly obvious references and blatant fictionalized portrayal of an actual person? huh

people do the same with TWBB, everyone seems to watch the movie as if it's all a fucking metaphor for capitalism. people can't watch movies for what they are, get used to this and enjoy the movies you enjoy.

The plot was non-traditional?

fuck off autist

Fuck off back to imdb you entry level pleb

The master was satirical and a way of PTA to mock retards who overanalyze film, he wanted to make the most nonsensical garbage film he could while being praised by pseudo intellectuals and plain retards

Point out one part of the film that is nonsensical

>Excuse me...ahem...FUCK NIGGERS AND WOMEN

yeah if you thought the movie was nonsensical maybe it means you couldn't follow it. it was pretty straight forward in my opinion, what exactly managed to confuse you?

Bump

PIG FUCK

on the list of the top 5 worst films ive ever sat through, pta should be shot in the street

>The Master
>nonsensical
I can MAYBE understand thinking this after your first viewing (and even then if you where only half-paying attention) but there's absolutely no way you can still think it's "nonsense" after you've seen it twice.

>wow these every day banal images show up time and again in human self representation how hackneyed
Fuck yourself

It just wasn’t that good

Perhaps it was a good movie idk because it was too boring to pay attention very well. I will say that Joaquin was incredible in it though.

I'm pretty sure at least two of those are from the John Huston doc that Paul has repeatedly mentioned was a primary source of inspiration for the film
The others reach even more than this Barry Lyndon bait image

Attached: 135672532230225.png (546x706, 483K)

I thought he was going to end up killing him and taking his place as cult leader.

>it's awful!
>it's nonsense!!
>it's sooo boring!!!

Attached: 16908215430274.jpg (1774x1305, 203K)

>i can blatantly steal from something 99.9% of the target audience has never seen because it's m-muh inspiration!
kill yourself bud

That image isn't bait. Griffith fag is genuinely mentally ill but he is also a board treasure

>implying
The film covers far more topics than the doc. I was just the seed. PTA isn't Tarantino.
There's a difference between taking inspiration from something and outright stealing it

I still consider things bait if they where made by the mentally ill

Bad artists borrow, great artists steal.

The documentary isn't a documentary really but it is fucking great. "On the Bowery" I watched it on vimeo I think.

counter: good artists steal from great artists, great artists steal from life

It's not bait if he strongly believes it

pta hasn't made a watchable movie since twbb

Reddit: the character.

I was talking about Let There be Light (1941), a short documentary by John Huston about soilders being trained to return to the homeland after war. Some of the lines in the movie are taken directly from the doc.
youtu.be/uiD6bnqpJDE

Attached: let-there-be-light-1946-image-normal.jpg (640x480, 29K)

I think adaptation of other films within a film is allowed. Directors often adapt books for instance. Also Shakespeare adapted folklore and other plays. There is no reason to discredit a work on that account

The film is almost like a documentary itself. I see the same patterns repeat with Jordan Peterson and Ben Shapiro.

Yeah the part with the black dude was cribbed word for word
>what in your line in profession is called nostalgia

Ah shit I didn't know about that one.

I've seen this movie about 5 times and I continue to like it more every time I watch it. The first time I actually sort of hated the last fourth. Dropping the Scientology aspect of it and watching it for what it is certainly helped.

Why doesn't Griffithfag see film images as language? Criticizing a director making use of film language is like damning the poet for using words. Griffithfag is a hightier pleb, who doesn't comprehend intertextuality at all. He clings to the auteur construct.

I would love to watch it on shrooms to see if I could get anything more out of it.

PIG FUCK

I've watched it on LSD at least twice and it's left me holding myself and crying like a baby over the end credits both times.
Im not sure why, usually I'm just giggly when I watch a movie on a trip. That movie has a special power to it and I have no ide what it is

Even the smartest of our current pigs can be fucked, yes?

The movie theater phone call

Saw it for the first time while trying. Lost it when "I lost my ship"

>Freddie has a dream about Master asking him to come back
>Probably read somewhere The Cause had opened a school in England and so buried it in his subconscious
>Uses it as an excuse to go see Master for the last time

Dodds knew he was probably going back to Lynn, so he could've called everywhere around town till he got him.

whats it like living with scizophrenia?

>"I lost my ship"
Isn't that just in Back Beyond, the deleted scenes reel? I don't remember that being in the actual movie

these are meme posts but unfortunately there are impressionable anons around here who will believe them

Hm maybe that was it. I was tripping so it is a bit of a blur.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who got real fuckin thirsty when Phoenix made his special potions. The over saturated colors made them look fuckin thirst quenching

Inherent Vice was great

Attached: D082F6A5-D711-4152-B87C-69F37C3215B3.gif (224x224, 3.8M)

legitimately off yourself

leave pleb

Attached: Inherent vice.webm (720x336, 2.44M)

the way he just fucking gulps them down made me go make myself a drink

That gif remains one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen.

Those comparisons look nothing like each other, is this one of those autims symptoms like face blindness?

>nonsensical
Imagine outing yourself as a brainlet like this but being so brainlet that you don't even notice

This is literally my favorite film.

Back to the alita general with you, you miserable pleb

I was so high when I watched this I don't remember any of it, only that they left out some of the weirder stuff from the book

I like Kools......minty flavor

Can you actually drink torpedo fuel for a buzz and not die?

from wikipedia

>Torpedo juice is American slang for an alcoholic beverage, first mixed in World War II, made from pineapple juice and the 180-proof grain alcohol fuel used in United States Navy torpedo motors.[1] Various poisonous additives were mixed into the fuel alcohol by Navy authorities to render the alcohol undrinkable, and various methods were employed by the U.S. sailors to separate the alcohol from the poison. Aside from the expected alcohol intoxication and subsequent hangover, the effects of drinking torpedo juice sometimes included mild or severe reactions to the poison, and the drink's reputation developed an early element of risk.

In the first part of the Pacific War, U.S. torpedoes were powered by a miniature steam engine burning 180- or higher-proof ethyl alcohol as fuel. The ethyl alcohol was denatured by the addition of 5–10% "pink lady", a blend of dye, methanol and possibly other ingredients. Methanol causes blindness when ingested, and cannot be made non-poisonous. The methanol was said to be (largely) removed by filtering the fuel mix through a compressed loaf of bread.

i'll be damned

anderson can only make dramas about surrogat families. that is literally his one and only gimmick. one trick pony. sure it is a good trick but that is why he will never be considered a god-tier auteur.

based. what is imherent vice then? it's even worse than the poofter.

Dostoyevsky literally only made novels that were about his own psychological trappings but he was a great author

reaching

These are the learn to code posters

I always found this funny tbqh

>He has a primary theme based on his own experiences
>He explores this through various different angles, creating a unique take each time
>plebs say "hurr durr he a one trick pony"

he could explore those themes through other genres. he just does dramas instead.

F

Attached: 7sba03icq1f21.jpg (1333x2000, 284K)

drama is such a vaguely defined, vastly reaching genre that you can easily have endless variety only making drama films. It's nothing like horror or sci-fi, which have comparably strict guidelines

Inherent Vice was a stoner noir, more of a comedy than a drama, Punch Drunk Love is a straight up romantic comedy and so on

both dramas

it was 10/10