Watched this movie on a 10 hour plane ride home and it was amazing...

Watched this movie on a 10 hour plane ride home and it was amazing. I then tried to watch Overlord and had to turn it off 5 minutes in because of how awful it was. When will we get war movies on a grand scale again that attempt to have some sort of authenticity?

Attached: s-l1000.jpg (960x762, 153K)

dunno lol

thanks for the bump

What was the last movie of this type? Battle of Britain or A Bridge Too Far were late editions but were they the last ones?

As far as I know, it's A Bridge Too Far. It's really jarring watching these movies then going to a modern war movie themepark like SPR where there's no sense of scale and the camera keeps focusing on little scripted bits.

There will never be another WW2 film as authentic as A Bridge Too Far

Attached: A Bridge Too Far.mp4_snapshot_02.53.32.303.jpg (1920x820, 158K)

I watched all of the Hunger Games movies on planes and they were all shit

I've seen lots of movies on planes and it wasn't until later that I realized they were edited versions. I saw Her on a Chinese plane and they cut out the "sex" scene.

TCM movies on the plane are unedited and in their proper aspect ratio. I tried watching Thin Red Line on the plane and they cropped the shit out of the movie and it looked awful.

They Shall Not Grow Old sort-of qualifies.

You shouldn't watch a Malik movie on a tiny ass screen in any case.

Seen it 4 or 5 times already so it's not like it was a first time experience. I like it a lot.

iirc The Longest Day was just a big collaboration between a bunch of old war buddies who wanted to tell the story of what really went down to civilians.
Almost all the real life characters were brought on as advisors, and some like Eisenhower even tried to play themselves.
This was also one of the first films to portray the Germans as just regular people instead of the wartime propoganda caricatures. They even tracked down the first soldiers on Omaha Beach who spotted the invasion, as well as the surviving pilot who got airborne.

We will literally never see another movie like this again because it was such a passion project from the guys who were literally there. It would be impossible to bring back all the attention to detail and love of craft that went into making it.

>as well as the surviving pilot who got airborne.
for my money the most kino character in the picture

Attached: image.jpg (700x301, 26K)

Love this guy...

Attached: The Longest Day.mkv_snapshot_01.58.31.638.jpg (1920x815, 242K)

Pic related is why Overlord bored you stiff.

Attached: 08-overlord.w700.h700.jpg (700x700, 172K)

I didn't get that far

Imagine having women and blacks in a D-day movie
JUST

could they at least get a guy with a smaller nose

this the one where he shoots the german and laughs about it cause he had his boots on backwards?

yeah

>While clearing a section of the Normandy beach near Ponte du Hoc, the crew unearthed a tank that had been buried in the sand since the original invasion. Mechanics cleaned it off, fixed it up and it was used in the movie as part of the British tank regiment.

>yfw John has a long mustache

Attached: image.jpg (411x528, 19K)

>To give an idea of the scale of this film, producer Darryl F. Zanuck effectively commanded more "troops" than any of the generals during the actual campaign.

wtf I can't even picture it
how big was the budget, adjusted for inflation?

>With a ten million dollar budget, this was the most expensive black-and-white movie ever made until Schindler's List (1993)

>Due to the massive cost overruns on Cleopatra (1963) (which was filming concurrently), Darryl F. Zanuck had to agree to a fixed filming budget. After he had spent the budgeted amount, he started using his own money to pay for the production

did you like a bridge too far?

Inflation makes it close to $82 million today's dollars

Insane to think this and Cleopatra were made at the same time.

how was schindler's list expensive to make

>In Italy for the filming of Cleopatra (1963), Roddy McDowall became so frustrated with the numerous delays during its production, he begged Darryl F. Zanuck for a part in this movie just so he could do some work. He ended up with a small role as an American soldier. Richard Burton, who was also filming Cleopatra (1963), took the opportunity caused by the long delays to take a cameo role of an R.A.F. pilot.

>When cost overruns on Cleopatra (1963) threatened to force Twentieth Century Fox to shut down production of this movie, Producer Darryl F. Zanuck flew to New York City to save his project. After an impassioned speech to Fox's board, he regained control of the company he founded, ultimately finishing this movie and getting the production of Cleopatra (1963) under control.

>In 1963, the N.A.A.C.P. accused Hollywood studios of racial discrimination. Using this movie as an example, it cited the fact that despite there being approximately one thousand seven hundred black soldiers who took part in the actual landings, this movie featured just one black actor. He's an extra, and he can be seen on a landing craft (around one hour and forty-eight minutes) in this movie, right in the middle of the frame.

a measly one thousand lmao

Watched this a few days ago, great film and the big set pieces were incredible. Only main complaints are that many of the headliner roles are more like cameos with no resolution to their subplots, and we don’t really see anything from the German footsoldiers’ point of view.

Oh for fuck's sakes.

>Fox executives were nervous when Darryl F. Zanuck decided to film this in black-and-white. When he was asked how audiences would distinguish it from newsreel footage, Zanuck replied, "Don't worry, I'll put a star in every shot!"

Don’t get me wrong, I love the ensemble nature of the movie. Seeing Connery or Fonda show up randomly halfway through was great, but I wish we’d seen what happened to them as they’re established as important characters.

Was this the one where John Wayne has them cut down dead paratroopers?
Have you seen Soldier of Orange or Army of Shadows?
Second earlier siggestion, Bridge Too Far would be an excellent follow-up.

Darryl F. Zanuck makes Harvey Weinstein look like something you scrape off your shoes.

yes to the first question, no to the second