Leave akira to me

>leave akira to me

Attached: IMG_2255.jpg (2000x1000, 1.39M)

Cool, a director that barely knows how to shoot/passes all the fx work to the fx team

he looks like he only drives at 20mph

Yikes

I like this guy for the movies he made before the marvel one, he's not the right director for akira, at all

its gonna be so bad bros.

Attached: 1463460036722.jpg (492x449, 48K)

A left wing Maori Jew, do not trust him

why the fuck do they keep making live action anime
it never translates
it undermines the whole fucking point
god damnit

THIS SHEEP FUCKING ASSWIPE RUINED RAGNAROK WITH HIS FUCKING NON-STOP JOKES, FUCKING COCKSUCKER!!!FACT!!!

>has awkward meme humor
No thanks

Yuck

nigger that's what the VFX supervisor is there for.

why do you bother being a namefag?
nobody cares m8

They should hire that one /fa/ paki from their last meetup to play Tetsuo.

Attached: 1554448895736.jpg (1920x1280, 685K)

Yea Forums was a mistake

God, I really do not like you.

what do you guys think about his new What We Do in the Shadows show on FX with Matt Berry?

Fucking keke

he's not supposed to direct the film though

you're a re tard

why does the feller with the hitler mustache and the crutch have a clown shoe on?

where do you get clown shoes?

Attached: nicolas-winding-refn-autism towel.jpg (2362x1568, 1.08M)

directors main job is story and eliciting performances from actors.

that's what a film lives or dies on, and a director who struggles in literally any other facet of filmmaking can be propped up by professionals, but if they can't do those two things, the film will be bad.

Bets on what tide pod eating zoomer is going to play Kaneda?

Attached: d1f2b0606a46c0a7fe6ad657c8937f78.jpg (498x750, 52K)

>Jermaine Clement as Kaneda
>Brett Mckenzie as Tetsuo

Attached: Flight of the Conchords.jpg (3000x2402, 2.6M)

dude, the Akira guy is funny but look at those body shapes on the dudes in black. Holy fuck

Attached: 1551574048358.jpg (280x404, 36K)

They already ruined every western IP so now they're desperate to find other IPs to ruin.

This aka George lucas

There isn't much he could ruin anyway, aesthetics aside.

Let's be honest

Akira is a visual masterpiece
The soundtrack is fantastic
The bikes are really cool
The neo-tokyo setting and all its depth and factions is cool
The tone of the film is great
The themes around total annihilation, militarism, rebirth, are cool

The gangs themselves are kinda whimpy
The characters are pretty stupid, Kaneda, and Tetsuo, and both their romantic interests
The story is an absolute clusterfuck
The medical experiments and all the fantasy supernatural stuff are pretty poorly realized
The political struggles are poorly realised
The flashbacks are stupid, the resolution is stupid, it's really very bloated, and it's missing a lot as well.

A Waititi Akira will almost certainly be a valid film, which is as good as, or even better than, the original, in many ways.

It's just not going to look as cool and the world won't be as rich.

Attached: aaaaaahhhhhhh.jpg (3000x1795, 1.11M)

All anime is overrated. There's not one that is actually great.

You can't really condense a 2000+ comic book into 2 hours and not have it be a mess though

Death Note

You don't think Only Yesterday & Porco Rosso are great?

2000+ page comic book*

Actually I think you can, you just can't accurately adapt it.
You have to take an enormous amount of creative license and make a film which is your own work and stands separate. A very loose adaptation.

It's what I hope Taika does.

It's better to be in the spirit of an original, and live up to it's quality, than try to copy it. Though I take your point, and I've read a little bit of the manga and realised just how much the film misses.
I still think it's a great film. It's just far from being flawless.

This. All of it is flawed in some way.

>he hasn't watched ran sem

Someone care to explain me what they see in Akira?

It's probably the greatest animated film ever made, visually speaking. Pure eye candy.

That's Redline

Alright. I liked the visuals. That's it? Because if that's all, then the adaptation will sure as hell fail at the only thing that made it worthy of mention in the first place.

renaissance tier

>remove coup plot
>remove governmental infighting
>Just have 1 central power doing it all. WAY less of the general guy.
>remove orphanage flashbacks, fuck the parallel between that and akira
>instead, justify Kaneda's bond with Tetsuo, by just adding much more gang stuff at the start, before they get split up, and before Tetsuo focuses on resenting him.
>because their friendship's foundation is barely even shown in the original film aside from the orphanage flashbacks, which is just cheap stupid anime shit
>remove Kaori (tetsuo's gf)- big waste of a character- make tetsuo possibly gay for kaneda (subtle subtext)
>make Kaneda more of a womaniser
>keep the resistance plot and Kaneda's waifu
>keep the psychic old children plot and tie it into akira and their origin

More regular youth street gang stuff
More of the city
Less politics

because 1 film doesn't have space for the politics, the escalation at the end, and the coup, while still keeping good characters and plots with the main 2 guys. Which the original sucks at.

And you'd be correct. Unless they make an insanely good adaptation it's gonna be shit.

It's the worldbuilding
The show has the 'life of a city' thing with neo tokyo, the youth gangs, the religious cults, the underground resistance, the political infighting, media, office workers, everything.
It's an incredibly rich portrait of a post-apocalyptic setting, where the setting feels so alive as to almost be the main character.
It does it better than Bladerunner. I can't think of anything better.

so like anything that happens in this incredibly rich setting, is a bonus.

Beyond the setting, there's the tone. The visuals, the music, the story, the setting, it all contributes to this fantastic tone. How the film feels.

Beyond that, the themes, which are based on the deep-rooted post-war Japanese Psyche, around the idea of total unimaginable annihalation, and what life as normal after that might mean, and what another catastrophe might mean, are fascinating. Everything is in the shadow of the bomb. Their society is broken, nobody believes the line. There's a handful of characters trying to hold it together, and then others who live almost having moved past it into total apathy.

The film is rich with ideas, and although they are often universal, it is also a deep insight into the Japanese Psyche formed after we dropped nuclear bombs on them.

>DiCaprio as lead with Waititi directing
This is surely a ruse.

he's just producing lol

This is all true except for the Waiki Talki making a good movie

He's made a lot of great stuff.
I'm far more optimistic than I was with GITS, because that director had never made anything good at all.

And I think Taika probably has a lot of studio pull right now and they'll let him do what he wants.

Dude has no sense for aesthetics. Look at the shitshow that is Thor Ragnarok ffs.

What's worrying about Waititi is that he has yet to break out of his niche, if this film is anything like his previous it's probably not going to be great.

Murray as Kaori

Too bad he's not talented

That's not fair. Marvel films have never had any artistic merit.

based

why would you make a live-action akira, a film praised for its animation

which of his films have you seen ?

youth biker gangs warring with each other in a post apocalyptic cyber-punk city
psychic experiments on children
government infighting and rebel groups and religious nutjubs

Pretend that you've never heard of Akira. Do you think a film along those lines sounds cool?

How many of the main characters will be black?

Ragnarok & What we do in the Shadows both broke out of his niche, because both are lighthearted.
All his other films are ultimately quite sad.

this badass motherfucker

it's a shame Michael Clarke Duncan isn't young and alive

Attached: Joker001.jpg (536x543, 32K)

Those are also funny haha awkward films, like Eagle vs Shark. And Ragnarok was sad at times.

i guess you're right
I really love eagle vs shark

I think there's proof that he can do the relationship between Tetsuo & Kaneda justice and the gang stuff, from his other films. I hope he elaborates on those elements, and I think he could do those elements better than in the original film. Whether he can handle the scope of it, the style, the worldbuilding, the larger philosophical stuff, or the politics, is going to mean he has to step outside the bubble.

What we Do in Shadows and first 30 mins of Thor 3 before turning it off

why'd you put on ragnarok if you didn't like what we do in the shadows and you don't like capeshit ?

>THIS SHEEP FUCKING ASSWIPE RUINED RAGNAROK WITH HIS FUCKING NON-STOP JOKES
He didn't write it.