If a movie takes a reasonably simple narrative and presents it in an extremely obfuscated way, is it a good thing?

If a movie takes a reasonably simple narrative and presents it in an extremely obfuscated way, is it a good thing?

Attached: hqdefaultj.jpg (480x360, 36K)

My favorite thing about this movie the way that Control, in the first meeting about witchcraft, would ask a question to one of the agents but instead of looking at them when they answered he would look at other people to study and understand their reaction. I've used that in board meetings, since people are usually very guarded when speaking but since they assume people are observing them but almost completely unguarded when other people are speaking. They're reactions are very informative.

Why should things be easy to understand?

Why should things be hard to understand?

Making you solve a puzzle makes the viewer more emotionally involved in the film, usually.

Only if it's boy friendly.

Attached: grooming.jpg (1000x562, 33K)

Are you insinuating that this movie does that? I don't remember it being a particularly complicated film.

This is the only movie I've fallen asleep to.

>spy movie is all about subtlety and obfuscation

this is called good filmmaking

OP is an American millennial. Give him time.

Attached: 20190403_235002.jpg (441x442, 88K)

Mine was Winter Soldier.

>I've used that in board meetings
How does one get a job that has board meetings?

>I don't remember it being a particularly complicated film.
It was literally incomprehensible. The epitome of cinematic jargon. An convoluted, impenetrable film that requires an academic background to even begin to make sense of.

good meme

The narrative isn't really obfuscated. The main characters have natural interactions given the information they already know & the film never keeps the viewer in the dark for too long before spelling out the missing information and giving the viewer ample time to catch up. Though it is a movie that you're required to watch with 100% attention on your first viewing. It would be a horrible movie to show with commercials on TV, but as a dedicated sit down it totally works.

You make your own and do really really well

Not the person you're replying to, but board meetings happen in civic or non-profit organizations as well.

>Control
Speaking of, why did he kill himself? They just show one shot of him in the hospital and don't really elaborate.

He died of cancer.

fucking brainlet

A little detail that only niche hobby faggots like me would've picked up:

The fountain pen that Control uses is one of lesser german brands from the 30's and 40's.
It fits that Control, head of MI6 would have a german pen rather than using an England made one because Control was stationed in Germany during the war aftermath. Might have been active in Germany during the war, but I can't remember.

It's the smallest of details, and they didn't even have to bother. But they did.

Have you seen the film with commentary from Oldman and the director? It's pretty good.

The film was about British Intelligence.
Details matter, from the type of clothes worn, to the shoes.

Nope. Will have to get a torrent some time.
Do they go into all the little details?

One thing I really liked about this film is that, during the Christmas party, all the staff of the Circus stand and sing the Soviet anthem.
It's just that you can so imagine them doing that sort of shit back in the day.
Whereas at CIA HQ I fucking doubt there was a smile cracked at all, and if anyone were to even propose it they'd just get a look.
>CIA Christmas party
lmao
Just seems so impossible.

watched this for the 5th time last night, and while i might go further than OP and say it's very simple narrative indeed, i think it was told in a most interesting way

i'm not usually a fan of style over substance, but there's something about Tinker Tailor which is quite charming

They don't say a whole lot. Mostly every once in a while one of them will say "I really like this scene" or "this turned out really well". Mostly they are silent. But sometimes the director gives a little detail like the fact that Control's desk in the film is the actual desk of the real-life control. Or the little bulldogs on Control's desk were taken from le Carré's house. Also, that he was told that most of the overseer's of soviet torture were female, which is why it is a woman who is in the room with the detained Prideaux, etc.

You probably had read the book before. It's literally unwatchable if you didn't and I'm saying that as someone who did.

Have you watched the old Alec Guinness miniseries? Would you consider that more accessible to those who haven't read the book?

reminder the bongs are Jewish agents ever since Cromwell let them back in