Can anyone tell me if Dune truly is good literature?

The movie seems to be getting a lot of hype and is claimed to be star wars for adults. So it's just slightly mature space capeshit? Like watchmen was mature capeshit?

Attached: images (36).jpg (500x330, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kefitzat_Haderech
youtu.be/ynB-Jh6_7bU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why dont you ask on Yea Forums

The first book is fucking incredible

It's shit. Paul is a literal gary stu with an extremely boring personality who just magically solves every conflict by having super-duper-genetics. The villains are cartoonishly evil with no real depth and are completely incompetent past their first big success at the beginning of the book. Like John Carter, the book suffers from being a trope trendsetter.

>swaer words
>sex
>fuck capitalism
but don’t pirate our movie!
>gore
>gore
>gore

definitely grabbing some skittles with this one

Context of time it was written

I am guessing it's because it's probably a worn out topic that would be met with accusations of being a newfag and they particularly won't be interested in discussing it with the movie in mind.

So it's """mature"" the same way GOT is """mature""?

So another way of saying it's shite?

I liked it a lot.

1. this is Yea Forums, not Yea Forums
2. Its okay, fairly standard soft-scifi, full of dumb "tech magic" shit, and way too much obsession with feudalistic societies.

If you want real good scifi, read pournelle or niven

>Paul is a literal gary stu
Know how I know you didn't read it?

>1. this is Yea Forums, not Yea Forums

Considering we are getting a movie out of it, I was wondering if it will be as good as the hype because the source material seems shit.

The 6 novels written by Frank Herbert are fucking amazing. He set the bar for world building. And actually, he didn't world build, he built a fucking universe. If any faggot doesn't like the original six books, they are a brainlet philistine.

Its fairly tired soft-scifi fantasy. Think ep 1-3 of star wars, but better written yet more boring.

>Can anyone tell me if Dune truly is good literature?
WHY DON'T YOU TRY READING THE BOOK, ZOOMY.

>type all that bullshit
>it only proves you've never read the book
PATHETIC LMAO

I mostly read non-fiction books.

AMA

this is 100%

it actually upsets me that Dune gets discussed here as the majority of Yea Forums posters are fucking children who dont read or think or sex

Its great! Layers of plotting, world building, realisation of what each character values actually isnt true

Plots within plots within plots

Feints within feints within feints

The first half is probably the best science fiction story you'll ever read

The second half reads like shitty fan fiction of the first half

someone who has not read the books and thinks Star Wars is the gold standard.

you need to end it

All this SEETHING indicates a manchild fanbase. Not a very good sign.

Where did I ever imply star wars was any bearing of quality? Both works have highly improbable social structures enforced and defined by the little bit of "magic" they have in-universe. In StarWars, its the "force", and in dune its the melange, space guild, and reverend mothers. Same shit, different name.

If OP was looking for good actual scifi, then he should look elsewhere. If he's okay with "science" (and the term should be used loosely) fantasy, then he would enjoy dune

It's just Game of Thrones in space

Dubs confirm and YIKES.

Jesus christ is a "gary stu".
The idea that good and evil can't exist separately in a world that has something profound to say is a totally adolescent concept.

>whine because people tell you to read things and form your own opinions
>calling anyone else manchildren
Sad!

>sci-fi
>good literature

Ehhh, that's a very small club, and Dune ain't in it. It's worth reading if you like the genre, though, still better than a lot of junk and moderately entertaining.

>Kwisats Haderach, Shal GuLud, Gaius Mohingan, Bene Tleilaxu, Spice Melange, Bene Gesseret, Pradisha Shadam the fourth...
does this sounds like high literature to you? Or does it sound like cringe fanfiction for teens larping as adults?

BOILING
BASED

Its almost as fucking bad as Eragon jesus christ

Paul being a gary stu is kind of the point. He isn't supposed to be relatable in the slightest, this isn't your run of the mill sci-fi YA novel. In fact, the main theme of the series is to be wary of hero figures.

It's one of the greatest works of literature in human history, and the only people who say otherwise are brainless or insufferable psudo intellectuals who only pretend to like infinite meme and blood meridian.

The movie is eerie, weird psychedelic mystical capeshit (space opera). At its narrative core it is a simple "nice boy saves the universe from bad dudes" story, but it occasionally reaches a sublime mystic tone, and it does a lot of very interesting and strange worldbuilding, all of which makes it quite compelling.
The book is rather different. At its narrative core, it is more like a highly cynical takedown of religion, messiahs, superpowers, and hero narratives. There are good people and bad people in it, but even the hero ends up responsible for mass murder on a colossal scale, helpless to create any better future. There are mystic touches in the book, but it is a kind of mysticism that is more like fate or science than like a hero's destiny.
Both are worth experiencing.

I hope they change the names for the movie and just call those terms c
simple names like chosen one, emperor, sisterhood, sandworm, etc or it would be a giant cringefest
I mean could you believe that even with the voiceovers they had to give papers explaining these terms when they made the 1983 movie?

hes a prophet you fucking idiot and he isnt even the strongest stfu

Just like neuromancer it's good because they were pioneering works of fiction but they are pretty laughable now

The message of Dune, in a way, is anti-capeshit.

I say this 100% unironically

>Paul being a gary stu is kind of the point.

That's understandable but gary stus can be entertaining or at least interesting. The question is Denis can make him into an interesting gary stu.

brainlets think dune is scifi. its a socio-political-environmental thriller set in the far future. because of the butlarian jihad there isnt even much advanced tech around

Do you mean spice is like kryptonite to capeshit?

the ost is amazing, too bad about the voiceovers, the cuts and the paradise ending wich was a concession to the producers and an originally idea of the Jodorowsky version

>Paul is a literal gary stu with an extremely boring personality who just magically solves every conflict by having super-duper-genetics.
Paul isn't the author's wish-fulfillment, though, unless Herbert had some very peculiar wishes. The character literally gets bred by powerful political organizations to have super genetics and he ends up living what in many ways is a pretty shit and tragic life. Him having a boring personality makes sense given that he spent his whole life since childhood being groomed to be the leader of a royal house in an extremely dangerous political environment.

Why do western sci-fi/fantasy fags try so hard when it comes to names ?

Is it like this in any other country? Even nips who are usuallly try hard in most shit aren't this retaded with naming and call them simplistic shit like Akira, Guts or Mokoto.

the space jihad made no sense, I mean how did they even invade planets? with what ships? those from the guild? why would they transport them?

Not him, but he probably means that Dune deconstructs the hero narrative. Paul is set up to be the classic heroic noble messiah type of character, but then it turns out that the messiah narrative was a bunch of bullshit deliberately spread among gullible people by powerful political operators and that the messiah's powers basically just allow the messiah to bring about a future in which huge numbers of people get murdered, but maybe it's still the lesser evil.

The guild is dependent on spice. Spice only comes from Arrakis and the jihadis control Arrakis.

in his defense he tried to mix Latin, Arab and some other to create language wich he viewed as the language of the future aristocracy but its pretty jarring now

before killing a trillion of spice users they could ve tried again to invade I mean how many fremen were there on Arrakis to kill so many people offworld
I think Herbert jumped the shark on that one and narrative wise it wasn't really needed

It's okay. The story is very imaginative and interesting. Anyone with a curious mind will want to learn more about the story as it unfolds in the first four books. The overarching story brings up interesting ideas and developments which are earned and built rather than simply stated. However, it is not great literature. I would put it firmly in the young-adult category, great for a 15 y/o keen on reading new stories or a manchild. Some of Herbert's other novels might be better formally and in terms of the ideas they bring forth, but they are obviously not on the scale of Dune. An adult could still enjoy the series, but should realize that it is fairly juvenile or at least not at all literary.

In short, it's good for what it is (at least the first four books) but anyone trying to argue for it as high art is deluded.

Yeah, I agree that it's a bit weird. My explanation for it is that during the long years of the empire, most planets had almost no military forces and almost all fighting was done by small groups of aristocrats and their mercenaries. The empire and its hegemony kept it that way, ganging up on and wiping out any force that threatened to disrupt the balance of power. The Fremen were just the people of one planet, but they were numerous enough that they actually significantly outnumbered other worlds' forces. Once they started taking over other planets, they also recruited people from those planets to join them through a combination of force and religious fervor.
But yeah, I agree that it's a place where the plot gets questionable.
I'd guess Herbert was almost certainly influenced by how Arabs came out of Arabia and took over a huge stretch of land within just a few decades.

Yeah this, I hope they don't allow any creativity, world building, or really any interesting at all in the new Dune movie. The director should aim to be as boring and unimaginitive as possible.

Christ. Dune and the Star Wars Prequels are fucking wasted on brainlets like these cucks. Yeah lets just call our chosen one, the fucking chosen one, no cool in universe name that makes sense within the lore, no fun creativity, no believable worlds, no fun.

Do people not realize lore and wolrd building are the peak of creativity and fiction. Your shallow little emotional feelsfests make me have feelings for 2 hours then a week after I watched the film I never think about them again really. It's just another great kino I watched that I rec, but I can go months at a time without giving it a single thought, after I am done my initial analyssi after watching it. But with works that rightfully toss aside emotional throughlines and all that crap that is literally every film/book ever, and dare to put effort and give center stage to lore and world building. Christ I can endless think about that and analyse that for fucking months after I watch it.

Some fucking good lore/world building >>> the greatest kino's/authors poetry

I should say more precisely, *The Fremen were just the people of one planet, but because they were mobilized in mass they were numerous enough that they actually significantly outnumbered other worlds' small military forces.

Attached: 1507924355430.jpg (432x432, 24K)

Dune, Messiah and Children are all just there so you can read God-Emperor. The most disappointing thing about this new movie is that since a meme actor like Jason Mamoa is playing Duncan they clearly have no plans to go beyond the first book, because he can not play a nuanced, restrained character, which is what Duncan becomes when he's a Ghola Mentat.

Attached: Dune Navigator.jpg (736x555, 55K)

its as much 'literature' as lord of the rings or game of thrones, the story is just an excuse to autisically world build a bunch of nonsense then drag it all out for thousands of pages, fine if you're into that sort of stuff, but its not 'good'

>literally
Why does this word always show up in these kinds of posts. If you're using in-universe plot devices to explain its artistic merit or its irrelevance to politics, you've already lost the debate.
The guy you're quoting doesn't know what a mary sue is or why it's bad. No amount of "literal" evidence is going to challenge that.

Reading is a talent wasted on you.

but arabs in those times didn't kill that many people cause most of them just converted fearing taxes and because at that time the place was a mess with tens of christian sects and tribes fighting each other but the Roman infrastructure was still intact so the arabs moved very fast
but if the people wouldve fight them tooth and nail Islam wouldve not survived outside of arabia
So it wouldve been understandable that the space jihad would've converted trillions because it was the new emperor religion but to actually kill them using knives? That's just bullshit
so I was in the impresson that withdrawal of spice ingestion meant death so maybe those trillions could've died because they were hooked up with melange and Paul destroyed the spice supply on Arrakis before taking over but nope, the book actually wants me to accept that a couple thousand killed trillions with melee weapons.

It's a classic sci-fi novel man. Give it a gander.

Attached: Baron Carl Harkonnen at Geidi.png (1130x900, 314K)

You'd be surprised what they let pass. There are no worn out topics on Yea Forums when every thread mentions dostoevsky at least twice.

whatever, kwisatz haderach just sounds horrible

I'm not sure we're supposed to think that the thousands killed trillions with melee weapons. Maybe shields were expensive and only aristocrats and their soldiers could afford them. The ordinary peasant would be vulnerable to just getting shot or blown up with explosives.
I'd have to read through the book again though to see what actual textual evidence there is for one view or another of this matter.

Honestly i can't even understand the appeal of scifi in novels. It was never meant for anything but visual spectacle. Scifi wasn't even a genre before futuristic special effects were in cinema.

so they nuked them all?

will it be twinkino?

>Scifi wasn't even a genre before futuristic special effects were in cinema.
Depends on what you mean by "scifi" and "genre". Personally, I'd count William Hope Hodgson's stuff as sci-fi, and that was from the first decade of the 20th century. And of course, many people would count Jules Verne as sci-fi, and that goes back to the 1860s.

boomer mentality right here boys

>whatever, kwisatz haderach just sounds horrible
quick, invent a name for a messianic character from an alien civilization, GO

I oughta give you a taste of the old gom jabbar up the ass, you fucking fuck.

Jordanion Petersonia

>so they nuked them all?
That would be pretty weird, wouldn't it? I always imagined it as more that the jihad didn't just directly kill a lot of people, but that it also triggered a huge wave of political violence in which people killed each other for all kinds of reasons, but ultimately the jihad was by far the most powerful force in all the chaos, so it ended up on top. I never thought too deeply into it, though. I'm not gonna pretend that it isn't a bit strange as-written (at least, as I remember it... I haven't read the book in a few years).

>Guts
You know that's an extremely simplistic yet a really memorable name.

and Frankenstein too

brainlet

Sounds pretty homo bro.

Well nobody here is talking about hodgeson or verne when they talk about scifi. They're talking about robocop and space samurai.

It's literally taken from a real jewish word, faggot. A mythical phenomenon where a devout rabbi uses kabbalistic magic to instantly travel to another location by shortening the way.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kefitzat_Haderech

it wasnt alien so just call it messiah

Well, "messiah" and "kwisatz haderach" both come from hebrew words, so really, Herbert basically more or less did that.

so every planet had a bloody civil war with fremen acting as generals of the imperial forces in each planet? this would be the most logical explanation
It wouldve nice if he had explained it a little, like giving a year to each planet to build a paul statue and made it the oficial religion or get turned to glass

That's some Adam-Ruins-Everything style, technicality type nonsense. The Modern Prometheus is in a league of its own. Nothing made this century holds a candle to that genre.

Griffith.

The 1st to 3rd books are the pinnacle of genre fiction. But the 4th book is a completely transcendental work of art. I can say without hint of exaggeration that God Emperor of Dune is up there with the works of Dostoevsky, Joyce, Tolstoy, Homer as far as its importance to the Humanities is concerned.

Books 5 and 6 are just okay, I guess.

you mean a jew made a space holocaust?

Lol

Saying brainlet has the same shallow significance of an insult like "i'm offended"

Yeah, something like that. Now I'm curious. I doubt Herbert had any clear idea of what went down, but his few references to the jihad probably can be parsed as at least implying some interpretations being more likely than others.

I dont think he cared or thought about it cause for him it was just a vehicle to explore sacriface, cult of personality, messianic rule, etc

>which is what Duncan becomes when he's a Ghola Mentat.
>Ghola mentat
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yep, I think that's likely.
That said, a quick read of some online sources that I think are trustworthy reveals that the jihad supposedly killed ~60 billion people, so about 8 current Earth-worths of people. In a universe which has dozens of inhabited planets, I guess that's not completely ludicrous. It would probably be something roughly as destructive as WW2 was in our world, or maybe 2-3 times worse. Probably not as bad as a global thermonuclear war would be in our world.

Actually, on rechecking my math, maybe I'm underrating the damage a bit... for 60 billion deaths to be proportionally like WW2 in our world, the Dune universe would have to have had about 400 planets each with the population of today's Earth. From reading the Dune books, I don't get the impression that the universe had quite that many planets, so maybe I'll have to revise my estimate of the destructiveness of the jihad upwards.

I thought it was suposed to be more, makes sense
now I wish we had some kind of battlefront type game of it

I'm probably a hyper pleb for saying this, but i'd like the story to focus more around those giant, cool looking worms.
Like a movie where we follow a group of spice miners trying to just do a daily job, having to outrun and outsmart those giant things

Attached: 56.jpg (320x240, 12K)

also I never got why the God emperor being an asshole was needed to make people colonize the galaxy, did the guild monopoly just prohibit further colonization?

yeah, they are cute

if you think 'lore' and 'world building' are the greatest thing that can be put to page just read a history book you dumb mong. At least then you might incidentally learn besides "Meshak Bendigo of the Gormarian Clan rides his space camel across the foreverwastes in U.640 to unite the dust crawlers"

One and six are basic sci-fi. Three is pretty epic.

Two, four, and five are philosophy

I haven't read the books in a while, but from what I recall the idea was that the God emperor being an asshole was the only way to both 1) instill humans with an big-enough desire to expand and break their stagnation and 2) develop the ability to cloak themselves from prescience

who hurt you user?

It would be great without the internal monologue

oops, I mean * 2) cause humans to develop the ability to cloak themselves from prescience

oh, the common people could do that at the end? how exactly, I thought only Paul was cloaked

the original lynch version didn't had it, it was after many cuts that they put there to condence the story
didn't work obviously
I hope some day someone does a fandit without them

Not everyone could do it at the end, but a few people could, and apparently the ability was at least in part genetic. IIRC, the "God Emperor" foresaw that the ability would eventually become fairly widespread among humans, at least widespread enough to ensure their survival.

Attached: Dune reading guide.jpg (1144x2560, 1022K)

I'd wager that the reason why you don't see the appeal of science fiction in novels is because you have never actually read one to completion.

Most things put to page are not the greatest thing that can be put to page. In fact, only one is. I guess there's just one book worth reading out there, I'd better go find it.

just lack of imagination

Cells, Cells
Interlinked, Interlinked

You don't need imagination to go explore. In fact, you might find some along the way.

Attached: Galaxy_195610.jpg (410x548, 38K)

Frank foresaw the Golden Path but didn't have the courage to make the necessary sacrifice. Brian is flooding the world with mediocre cash-ins and, by doing so, is forcing humanity to respond by developing higher levels of literary ability.

one thing is clear, vileneuve version won't be able to reach this level of comfyness

youtu.be/ynB-Jh6_7bU

kek

its a dreamy sort of story with reality creeping in suddenly like the hunter seeker or the 2 duels

its hard to get across stuff like
awakened memories
body reading
voice control
prescient sight
spice agony
how savage the fremen are
proper scale of things which herbert very rarely mentions

This is some Sargon-tier "argument" here, jesus.

Pottery

I don't know much about Sargon, and don't call me Jesus.

Oh, fuck, I actually read the post you were replying to and it's some retarded shit. I apologize for my smartass replies

Scenes flying around in 'thopters
flying around in the big fuck off Guild ships
dualing with shields on on Caladan
seeing huge spice machines mining spice
seeing huge worms eating people and spice machines
seeing people ride said huge worms around

Thats like 30 mins of content I want in the movie too

Its scifi/fantasy, so by definition it isnt good literature. Which doesnt mean it isnt a fun reading. It doesnt help that Herbert himself wasnt a great writer, the books are very repetitive both in structure and themes. Still, we have to give him a pass for writing about some hard subjects which he probably didnt fully grasp, like the godlike characters and Dune ecology, he handles these subjects in a very simplistic and unsatisfying way. So in the end, he created an universe in the first book which had a great potential, but he was never able to realize it to its full extent. Also, dont even bother with his sons "novels", those are terrible works trying to coast on the success of his father.

He didnt build anything. Compare his universe with what Tolkien did, absolutely laughable.

Herbert threw away all his "creativity" when he decided the Dune universe was the same as our universe and kept referencing real historical happenings in retarded ways. Like when Paul cites Stalin, and Hitler genocides, or when the twins start speaking in "ancient languages" long forgotten, which are actually french and egyptian.

Nearly half way through a first read of it and it's full of characters and places with silly names and nothing has happened. Maybe it'll pick up later on.

It's more like LGBT space capeshit about faggots being flamboyant in wacky costumes

but what is Shaddam's tax policy?

Attached: GRRM.jpg (356x287, 68K)

It's terrific pulp, although that might not be a satisfactory answer.

>Dune, Messiah and Children are all just there so you can read God-Emperor.

That's what I think.

Attached: leto_atreides_ii__god_emperor_of_dune_by_gorrem-d7bfwcm.jpg (550x1001, 341K)

Its hard to get across because he poorly described these things in the book, they are just vague concepts, which is obvious seemed like a good idea to him, but he couldnt really detail them further. Voice control and the Bene Gesserit have to be one of the most retarded things Ive ever read. I dont know why he kept insisting with this shit, bringing back Jessica in the 3rd novel is one of the worst things he could do.

The first tree books are like that, just him setting things up to be resolved in the last 30 pages by his God characters. Paul in the first 2 books and Leto in the third.

Good post.

How is villeneuve going to adapt the first half of the first book as a full movie if the most memorable bit is a dinner scene?

>130 replies
>47 posters

I suspect there's just one or two tryhard faggots itt replying to every positive post with a negative post in order to false flag contrarian viewpoints about the novel.

If someone is trying that hard to encourage discussion (even stupid discussion) of this franchise, OP, then it is clearly at least significant enough for the source material to be seriously looked at. Only you can judge if its "good" or not.

I don't give a shit about the book, this is Yea Forums

t. capeshitter

What was the Butlerian Jihad?

Where did the Sardaukar come from?

Did Aurelius Venport actually fuck Norma Cenva, or was that just Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson jerking each other off?

that would be a matter for CHOAM. suggest you bring it up at the next Sysselraad meeting.

You're the most retarded poster I've seen all night, and I've been on Yea Forums, /r9k/ and Yea Forums

Exactly, he simply started throwing names and ideas to see what would stick, and even those he kept, he developed poorly, e.g, the Guid and the Tleilaxu.

it made sense because no other excuse to get a reverend mother into the palace to see the twins and alia

this is your brain on spice and it's great

blessed post

>Breaching the shield wall with House nukes
>Sandstorm shorting out the city shields
>Fremen riding the lightning atop their Worms
>Shooting the noses off Harkonnen ships
>Spinning out of the sand like devils and raping Sardaukar face

If they fuck this part up the movie is trash and nothing will change my mind

Yea Forums here, Dune is pretty mediocre in terms of just being entertainment. Calling it slightly mature space capeshit isn't too far off. Most people go about reading in the wrong way, how they are looking for something like "book like this show?".
It's pretty lame, read Karl Marx and Evola.

Attached: hitor.png (504x848, 475K)

Holy shit could you possibly be more of a snob? If you're Yea Forums then your house is a toilet.

Because you're shit

I doubt it. What is so incredible about it? I got 20 pages in and all they talked about was pain and drugs.

lmao, hurt your brainlet feelings? Just because you recognize something as being shit it doesnt meam youre a snob. I like Dune, but it isnt good literature, nothing wrong with that.

>sci-fi
>good literature
the good thing about sci-fi is the worldbuilding and the interesting shit. Dune is great in this, at least the first book.

Do you think I care what a lowly Aristotelian slave like you thinks of a higher being like me? I have MASTERED Gilles Deleuze and Miguel Serrano, go on now and consume your culture industry mass produced for people like you, reading sci-fi shit.

Attached: yepppep.jpg (500x500, 51K)

It actually does make you a snob. You are literally being a snob, right now in this thread.

Also
>It's pretty lame
>It's shit
>It's bad literature
>there's nothing wrong with that
>I like it

You're such a snob you hate on things you actually like? Lmao at ur life

Kek
How about you recognize nobody gives a shit what you've read
I'd wager those philosophers would spin in their graves if they knew you were invoking their names
I spit on you

>MASTERED
Has anyone on lit ever been able to apply anything they've read to build on their own ideas?
Genuinely asking. Seems like just a way to circlejerk from this perspective.

the goal is to escape the system and then your flesh vessel

problem?.jpg

No sir, just hate when Yea Forumstards try to disparage mah Dune and I happened to be in a fighting mood

Attached: funny_picdump_565_52.jpg~original.jpg (472x700, 69K)

Do you still have to wear a helmet when you go outside or do you still bash your child head on trees?

That faggot is baiting. How is that not so obvious?

Overall if you don't want to be not triggered by anyone who insults your taste, just read history like I do. It's entertaining and you don't have defend it's worth as art.

saw the movie as a kid and this performance really captured my imagination, nothing else like it

Every post on this site is bait man, how new do you think I am? I argue anyway. I come here for this shit.

Thanks for calling him a faggot though I appreciate it. /his/ is God tier.

Those are two different people and my post was not bait, nor am i stupid enough to regard a sci fi/fantasy franchise i enjoy as high literature, retard.

So... Circlejerking?

>gore
What gore? I don't even remember blood being mentioned in the books, let alone anything gory. Sex is also only prevalent in the last two books, when Herbert went off the rails.

It's a good action sci-fi, but I'm much more fond of the following books. Messiah, Children, and God-Emperor are the best part of the series for me. That's where it really goes into concepts of premonition, power, ecology, and politics. Heretics got a bit weaker, although the storyline of the Harkonnen descendant was really good, and Chapterhouse was just a bunch of nonsense about greatness of sex interspersed with descriptions of the Shai-Hulud.

You didn’t answer his question, retard
You’re only making your own opinions seem less valid.

There are objective parameters by which you can judge a literary work. Dune just dont fit the criteria, so what? Its still entertaining. Im a snob if am able to judge and differentiate works of varying quality?

On Messiah, really enjoying it, would like a new Hodder edition for Children because im an autist. Still not 100% on how tech works on a galaxy wide scale, mentats no matter how advanced they are still don't seem practical, im assuming you are still allowed basic stuff like calculators as theres no ai however the commandment is so vague that they could still be banned.

Not to mention plenty of things that fit those objective criteria are anything but entertaining. Emily Bronte makes me want to shoot myself in the face when i read her--doesnt mean i cant acknowledge the technical mastery of story she demonstrates.

Obviously you didn't read the book

>paul is the result of generations of genetic engineering
>manlet

Attached: 1554243265435.jpg (470x470, 31K)

Right, so how about you recommend things based on what you think people might enjoy, rather than your "objective parameters"? Why do you try to peddle high-level philosophy to Yea Forums? Do you really think you're improving the world in any way? Do you think anyone is impressed by your namedropping?

Look man, the way I see it you'll never write a book, not even a bad one. You might read a lot, but you'll never be able to speak with authority as to what a "good book" is. You are user. You get your opinion, that's all. I respect your opinion. But trying to pull "muh literature" is pure wankery. You even state that you enjoyed the book and you're only shitting on it because you want to look superior. Fuck off. I'm going to bed, good night to you sir.

Attached: 1330277850707.gif (110x119, 368K)

Watchmen (movie) isn't mature
Watchmen (novel) is mature
Game of thrones (show) isn't mature
A song of ice and fire (books) are mature
Dune (book) is mature
Dune (movie) will be ???

Pretty accurate reading guide. The Golden Path is the patrician option. There's no so much reasons to keep reading Dune after the fourth book. I did it out of curiosity because I was absorbed and thirsty by Dune universe, but in ulterior rereads I didn't go past God Emperor.

Did you just not read OP's title or what?

Finishing God Emperor was wholly satisfying. I don't think I'd want to begin an unfinished plot even though i own all 6

Youre the one getting offended over nothing, nowhere did I imply superiority. I was just answering OPs question, its not good literature, but its entertaining, thats it. Im not the user who quoted philosophers, obviously I dont shit on people for liking bad things, since sometimes I might enjoy them too. If its something I can absolutely not stomach, like capeshit, I just say its not for me and leave it at that, Im not going to pick apart why they are bad movies, since youre right, people dont give a shit.

jfc

me looking over all the plebs itc

Attached: image.png (687x763, 1.36M)

Shrek

There is nothing more plen than Dan Simmons

Thats weird cause last time i asked on lit most people liked it. you just sound like a fag and your shits all fucked up

Actually its pretty easy if the machine thinks like an Artfical Inteligence than it is banned simple mechanical machines are not so a calculate wouldnt fall under that unless its thinking independant of its process that it was built for to calculate

I take it the training robots are an exception to the rule then? Something kept more or less secret by the houses. I think Paul mentions them as one of their vice's. There's really no way a machine that tracks and reacts to movement in that way could be devoid of some kind of ai.

>they could ve tried again to invad
Fremen are literally capable of destroying all Spice on Arrakis, that's what Paul threatens the Guild with. It's practically a universal Samson option that the Guild has to obey.

Idris Elba

My patrician

the first paragraph of dune is better than most science fiction

but that says more about other science fiction than it does about dune, which as someone already said, feels derivative due to its age and saturation

I also liked dune 4, god emperor, the others aren't that special in my mind

Honestly, it feels like a huge nosedive going past God Emperor. As I said, the only reason to give it a try is being so addicted to Dune universe, but even this way it's not worth imo. GE is the right spot to stop and keep fond memories about the whole plot.

Dune (movie) will be kino

I trust in Villeneuve.

Attached: 1526073530063.jpg (570x793, 167K)

I actually agree. Just letting that user know he's a retard for having a chip on his shoulder for not liking "mature" shit.

I hope so, Villeneuve knows and loves the Herbert's work, I'm sure he's going to make a competent work. I love the Lynch adaptation even though it's far to be perfect, I liked the 2000 series despite all their flaws. If Villeneuve puts love and respect on this work, I'm going to love it for sure.