Just watched the original Alien at long last

Just watched the original Alien at long last.

Serious production design masterclass, moody and pure exposition, incredible coloring and photography at large, smooth pacing and a suspenseful edit.

Prometheus was such a failure in comparison.

Attached: alien.jpg (655x288, 41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bEVY_lonKf4
youtube.com/watch?v=H0VW6sg50Pk
youtu.be/D1o7db95gwY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Agreed all around. Alien is a masterpiece.

Something is in the air and water. All art and culture is not the same anymore.

>pure exposition
is this supposed to be a good thing?

he means in context of the production design, i think

In the sense that it's done concisely yes.

It's the best horror movie ever made. Shits all over the Exorcist.

it can't be the best horror movie of all time, cuz it's not scary.

Agreed, but why’d you post a photo of the one scene that looks like absolute shit? The difference between the real & prosthetic head is so jarring.

Prometheus still has great production design and photography, as is usually the case with R.Scott. Not as great as Alien's but still well above modern production. If he was able to identify/improve on scripts then we would get kinos after kinos. Still interested in seeing his Battle of Britain.

it became mediocre once the alien was loose on the ship

Good thread and all but I would really appreciate if we could take a few minutes to discuss the bonus situation

I knew he was a fucking prometheus the whole time.

It's because the prosthetic head shrunk and looked weird and Fox didn't give Scott any time to reshoot it with a new head.

based Mega64 bro

Attached: huehuehue.png (295x279, 79K)

alien was boring
aliens is the best

Don't remember this bukkake scene in LOTR

Nope.

Would you have preferred this compelling and memorable shot?

Attached: HLC on styrofoam.png (1917x1041, 3.35M)

best part of this movie is Ripley. She fucking kicks ass and at no point does it feel forced. derp female lead kicking ass bullshit.
best female hero ever.

Good man. Now go watch the director's cut of ALIENS.

it was in hobbit

during the sauron tax plan montage

i always find it weird how alien blood went from eating through 2 or 3 floors of a ship in alien to just causing 3rd degree burns in all the other movies
if it had been the same a single drop in your head would eat all through your brain lmao

what the fuck happened with the alien visuals on alien 3?
the aliens in aliens and resurrection hold up well today, and the one in alien never looked that good, but since its relatively obscured most of the time it also looks good. even when its more clear, its not bad
but the one in alien 3 looks like absolute shit, literally the worst sfx ive ever seen in my life, it looks like a sprite

How old are you? Not trying to bully, genuinely curious

In my head cannon I always think it's bc he came from a doggo

24. Why?

Just curious :)

fuck off boomer werent you supposed to play world of tanks on xbox360 with your buddies tonight

>never looks good in Alien 1
Nigger what? Most of the time it looks great, There are only two instances of the Alien looking shit. In the tubes with Dallas and at the end when it's hanging by the escape ship's thrusters

>never looks that good
>THAT good
in that its not a masterpiece of animatronics or or whatever the hell they used. it looks good because it is well done, then they put it to great use by it being in darkness most of the time. Its just not mindblowing or anything

>I feel thin... stretched. Like butter scraped over too much bread.

What did he mean by this?

I think Cameron said something about how only the facehugger's blood will do that and the grown xeno's is much less potent or some shit. I don't know, got retconned somewhere.

I MISS MY ELRPHANT ALIEN JOCKEY

Something is in the air and water. All art and culture is n
Ot the same an
Ymore

I'm not one for fucking around with old films but that scene would be easy to clean up with a little CGI these days. I remember watching the 25th anniversary at the cinema and thinking all the way through I wonder if it's been changed and it never was.

Yep, nothing is made well like this nowadays. Everything is degenerating.

I read that too

Yeah, the hugger has stronger blood cos that's the only defence it has once its attached.

That sounds like a really lazy excuse, but I suppose it's something.

>alien 3
They went with a new way of portraying the alien.
Instead of a guy in a suit, they went with a small model they moved around with strings and sticks, to get the more lean, animalistic proportions. And super-imposed the image of it on top of every scene.

I agree, the result is not pretty.

Attached: 628777324.jpg (1896x794, 199K)

Modern movies in general are failures in comparison.

what the fuck was with the self destruct plotline and the cat. didnt make sense and ruined the movie for me

i want to___ripley

Attached: 1500441548026.jpg (1920x820, 482K)

I guess you’re just retarded then.

it's pretty straightforward you fucking retard

What the fuck happened in Aliens 3? Seriously what the fuck happened? I remember getting ready to watch all the alien movies starting out with the first ones and after watching Aliens 1 and 2 the third came off as nonsenical.

Ridely is on a ship were there is an alien that causes a crash from Aliens 2. Ok make sense. Ship crashes on a fucking island and ends up being Lost in Aliens universe then the goverment comes last second and trys to act like they were playing 4d chess?

The fucking third movie was TRASH WHO FUCKING READ THE SCRIPT AND SAID THAT WAS A GOOD MOVIE?

>ridely
They started making the film without a finished script.

The movie went through a very special kind of development hell. Many things went wrong, and the script went through several wildly different drafts that resulted in a shitload of wasted time.

These. They just bungled the film.

>Seriously what the fuck happened
The production was a nightmare. At one point the planet was a wooden space station that would transform into a giant xenomorph

Attached: vincent-ward.jpg (670x372, 134K)

I'd still like to see Gibsons take on a3. Have you read the alternate scripts?

Alien is the best example of a film made by comittee done right (as opposed to the "films made by many people are bad meme"). If you watch the making of, the writers and producers describe how a lot of people directly influenced it, from originally being a movie for Roger Corman, to multiple writers and producers, to Jodorowski who at the time was going to direct Dune suggesting they look at Giger's art, who ended up doing the organic stuff alongside another art director for the ships and interiors, to Moebius doing the suits, to the director and actors contributing to it.

Also, it was a project that was in slow burn cook for years, being reworked and rethought, so they had lots of time to rework and perfect it.

Prometheus is just Ridley Scott doing his thing mostly on his own, and even worse, bragging that he is behind schedule and under budget (which translates to everything rushed, from script to actually making the thing), you can see this in the Prometheus making of, Lindelof and the other writer talking about these things, producers etc.

There's actually a bunch of multiple scripts for alien 3. The first Riddick movie (Pitch Black) actually came out of an unused Alien 3 script by the writer/director of Riddick where the main characters escape a prison space base that was an alien inside it, alongside a prisoner named Riddick.

Caress the jaw of

How facehugger got to dude's face through the helmet?

Things like promotheus and covenant were made explicitly for money purposes. Nothing more.

>bragging that he is behind schedule and under budget
that's mainly the reason why he still gets those big movies to direct. I don't really agree with you saying that he rushes production though. He's always shot fast, but he sucks at picking a good script and basically everything related to pre-production writing (Gladiator was done without a script and there's some great piece of writing in it).

Amazing special effects in that picture.

Pics of feet?

one of the joys of my childhood was watching this alone, at about 6 years old, in a home with near absolute parental neglect
I think I stopped being afraid of the dark in high school?
the moment where the alien kills dallas is still moronic through, he throws up his hands in some kind of 'boo!' expression

Every time I see this, I crave fettucini alfredo.

I'd call you nostalgiafags but you're probably like 19. Anyway this whole thread is a pretentious wankfest that boils down to "older = better" and isn't much different than "wrong generation" losers

>wodden space staton
waht?

I unironically used to think like this when I was underage on here. 25 now. What a long and pointless ride you don't remember most of

Literally no argument

know where to cop the clothing worn by

Sure user, the air and water. It's not capitalism doing its thing to this industry like it has done to many other, it's just gay chemicals.

>100 years of cinema
>If you enjoy something from a decade that doesn’t happen to be the decade you grew up in, you’re a pretentious older = better wrong generation loser

Fuck off dyke

Daily reminder
This
youtube.com/watch?v=bEVY_lonKf4
vs
this
youtube.com/watch?v=H0VW6sg50Pk

Attached: fuck_this_shit.gif (352x224, 866K)

fox corporates got directly involved in the production of the film and finger fucked it to death. also they had no script at the start of filming, and several rewrites. the god damn concept for the movie was rush written during an airplane flight and the result was this abortion

Attached: 1462635863062.jpg (357x899, 109K)

Capitalism is why we literally are being turned gay by the water we drink thanks to phytoestrogens in plastic.

Attached: animatronics_alien.jpg (2048x1536, 1.68M)

Should I watch Prometheus? I've heard some people describe it as a movie they wish they could erase from their memory.

It is one of the sci-fi/fantasy concepts that require technology not understood with what we have now. Like the living tree ships in Hyperion.

It is a famous case where the studio was busy
to get making money and thought if they throw
enough of it around, they can magically get
a solid movie when they had nothing to start
with.

youtu.be/D1o7db95gwY

Awesome soundtrack tho.

ok but presumably the laws of physics are the same in the alien universe so how does it maintain pressure

It’s genuinely a waste of time. If you’re curious it’s not that difficult to sit through and is generally a very safe and generic sci fi flick. If the Star Trek Reboot was a 7.5/10, Prometheus is a 6/10.

Ehhhhh. It's bad. But it does have a few good things. David is cool. It has good effects and visuals. I mean the main problem is it is horrendously badly written. Like stupifyingly bad. To the point it's one of the worst written major movies of the last ten years. So because of that characters are routinely idiot-balled, major obvious solutions are forgotten or ignored, its just stupid. But I don't know if id say don't ever watch it. I would say skip the sequel.

be protected by

I watched it in theaters and I kinda liked it. Its biggest issues honestly derive from Covenant being utter trash and not addressing the plot points in Prometheus that would require some explanation.
But as a movie on its own I think it's ok, pointlessly hated.
Keep in mind I'm not a fan of the franchise, despite having seen them all, so I don't give a shit about any possible cardinal sin Prometheus might have committed.
tl;dr it's a decent flick to waste two hours on that came out in a period in which sci-fi didn't offer anything good

It's because of this.

Attached: 1507072764956.jpg (900x900, 121K)

Sci-fi magic not understood by the basis of out current technology.

It's not great, but you watch it because you're a Aliens fan. Has interesting concepts and plot, but too many "Why would they do that???" elements IMHO. Covenant gets worse.

Ridley Scott is 82
do you see your 70+ grampa making good movies?
don't be silly

Same reason ships have gravity.

Wall can't be built soon enough!

I don't count it.
As far as I'm concerned, Alien is a duology. This is not a rarely held belief.

I like aliens better.
The more I watch covenant the less I hate it but God that finale was just stupid
This shit really needs to just drop the pretense and go on streaming as a TV series
>no reboots just a new planet that gayvid crash lands on
>colonists are already on the planet and we get multiple seasons of David doing fucked up scifi experimental shit to them
>series finale is David going full satanic and opening a portal to hell at which point we get a event horizon TV series which starts with everyone meeting up in the hell dimention
Tell me this wouldn't be kino?

The original Alien was a horror masterpiece.
The second movie is a action movie masterpiece. Even the third movie had its moments. The series went to complete shit after the original trilogy.

Prometheus looks great, the cast is fucking God tier, too bad the script is so shit, and the entire cast acts like retards throughout the entire movie.

Did you notice the focus on the helmet at the begining of the film? I assume it's an homage to space odyssey

Attached: 1551441539352.png (500x775, 762K)

The wall will only slow the inevitable. The future is fucked.

alien is based and comfy af

Very early cgi.
Yes it has not aged well. The scenes using a practical effect xenomorph still looks good.

Attached: 2938780-7442886656-58508.jpg (1280x720, 295K)

Acid.

No.
I thought it and Alien Covenant sucked ass. Both look amazing the way they are shot and the series designs. Put overall they just aren't good movies.

Attached: parker.png (420x420, 15K)

be pegged by

Alien 3 was good though. It's a real pleb filter.

Alien is more than 40 years old and it still blows a lot of today's horror kino out of the water. A true classic.

Attached: alien.jpg (612x469, 184K)

Too many jump scares.

Alien1 is good 3 is ok 2 is fucking atrocious. Prometheus was ok did they ever make a sequel to anwser all the questions?

Alien: Covenant is the sequel to Prometheus. It's pretty good.

Most of the criticism of the newer films come from manchildren who will nitpick every little detail of logic and the IQ of the characters, but never do the same to the older movies.

Alien is my favorite film, Prometheus and Covenant are not nearly as bad as every NPC on here and Reddit says.

Except horror is supposed to be scary.

I'm gana have to download covenant today and find out for myself

Alien sucked lmao

>it's because we have freedom guys we need to have less of it to be happier

Attached: brainlet.png (645x729, 50K)

Lmafaorofl

Lemme guess, you're the guy who keeps claiming only jumpscares are true horror

Nope. I actually don't watch horror movies in general because a lot of them lack good plot and character development. I just feel like arguing.

That scene you're replying to was scary. His performance was upsetting and made you think about what it would feel like to have one of those things burrowing out of you. If you don't think facehuggers are scary fuck you. I used to try to work out strategies to keep them off.

Yeah you're right that's pretty scary

fully-conscious A.I. controlled cesarean squid birth

Stop it user. I won't be able to sleep tonite

It's not CGI though. It's stop motion using a rod puppet.

Acids do different things to different stuff. It is entirely possible that an acid that could mow through metal would react differently to skin and meat. While the initial spray would do a lot of damage, different chemicals inside of a body could neutralize the acid, while a homogenous metal would have to get eaten until the reaction was done. Water is a massive dilutant that would also affect most acids, reducing their potency. HCL acid eats a lot of stuff, but not glass or plastic. Closely related is HFL acid, that can even dissolve glass, but takes longer to dissolve. It was not much of a stretch for me to imagine an acid that reacts far faster and violently to metal than say, a body. Also, we saw Drake sprayed, but were not there in the scene long enough to see if he turned into a puddle. The acid that caught Hicks did not eat through his face, but melted through his metal armor in seconds. So, salt and water seems to dilute the acid enough to make it less destructive. Dunno, bit drunk and trying to figure out the chemistry of a fictional acid used for alien blood is beyond me right now.

No it wasn’t, brainlet.

It was to the Aliens franchise the same way that TLJ was for Star Wars. It’s an objectively bad movie by all metrics and if pretty much killed the franchise.

>Prometheus was such a failure in comparison.
You know how I know that you didn't understand a fucking thing about Alien?

No matter how many times we tell the people, they don't learn.

>Just watched the original Alien at long last.
I fucking hate zoomers lads. Is this what is being old feels like. Jesus Christ. I wish you hadn't watched it, I'd feel better.

>unironically defending Prometheus

Attached: 44C68F4E-D40E-4FFE-B8AE-589A7DC6D702.png (1920x1090, 1.49M)

Quick question, Are you one of those Alien Purists that say Predators do not exist in the same universe?

There is no universe, user. They're just films. Alien vs Predator is, if anything, a sequel to both Alien: Resurrection and Predator 2.

While I agree that Alien is the best movie in series, I liked Aliens more, even if it made less sense.

Again the Alien3 fag

Not him, but it has nothing to do with being a purist, it is a simple fact that the Alien/Predator films are not canon.

I liked it

it's always been shit. you faggots finally grew up

pleb filtered

i just want to die from being sat on by mt. lady

The Thing is a better film than every Alien flick combined
You literally cannot prove me wrong on this

Attached: 1553273024874.png (600x1078, 485K)

What's your opinion Leviathan, as it is the perfect synthesis of Alien and The Thing?

Something that's always bugged me: So if the alien's blood is highly acidic, wouldn't it be a no-brainer to use some kind of alkaline/basic rounds that would explosively react (and neutralize) with their blood? Think of that vinegar (acetic acid) and baking powder reaction, then think what would happen when something more potent like sodium hydroxide buckshot would react with an alien's blood. Shit would be like daylight to vampires.

>Capitalism
>Freedom
Chose one braindead cattle

That would require a sample of the blood, wouldn't it? And even if it didn't, Burke was a cheap motherfucker. The goons at the end of Alien3 might've had anti-alien measures but the runner was dead when they got there so it doesn't matter. As for Resurrection, Whedon probably never thought that far when writing it.

i like it but would have been better if scott didnt pussy out on EVERY SINGLE DEATH.

face-hug the pussy of

You'd rather have the nigerian lad in the silly rubber costume prance around pretending to claw people to death?

not a complete waste as it's a very good looking film, if you're into that. sadly that's about it though.

You are using the word film. I did not. Instead, look back at the 30 plus years of books and comics. There is an area of Alien Purists that claim Predators do not exist in Alien lore, despite the fact that the two species have been written together quite often, probably before these same naysayers parents knew their genitalia was for more than pissing.

Arguing that Aliens did not exist before Prometheus movie is silly. Predators had been hunting them for millenia as a coming of age ritual. This was established in lore about fifteen years before the first AVP. The Engineer race has come into contact with the Predators, and the Engineers are on the no hunting list as a sentient species. To me, the goo in Prometheus is a bioweapon that mutates everything it touches into a self serving weapon. To suggest that it was the genesis of the Alien race is silly, or did someone pull a Disney Star Wars and delete thirty years of established canon?

a type of magnets

id rather have scott be more creative instead of resorting to b-movie staples

>Alien is a horror movie

Attached: 1537372281816.jpg (399x400, 13K)

I wrote some stuff earlier about the acid for blood. It's an unknown alien acid. For all anyone knows, it could feed off of and become exponentially worse if you use an alkaline. Burke sent poor settlers to check on the grid coordinates, not chemical engineers. And, the Aliens are not exactly friendly enough to allow samples to be taken. Dourif's character, in Resurrection, might could have come up with something. But he was a bit too obsessed about other stuff.

You are the most braindead user I've seen all week. I hope you livestream your suicide

There is no canon. There is not even a movie canon, you have to realise that the films only appear connected because the various directors deemed bits and pieces of the previous installments worth copying for the benefit of the stories they wanted to tell.

didn't all that cross over bullshit start with the easter-egg Alien scull in Predator 2?

you dont know what kind of acid it is sadly
need a specimen and scientist to study it
that's why the comics / extended universe shit sucks for alien. they expain everything and simply go for "shock/gruesome" stuff to suggest the aliens superiority.

Alien helped create those staples.

You keep saying movie. Predator 2 did not tell me that Aliens and Predators were connected. I already knew that. It did give me a bit of joy at seeing it onscreen though.

If havent read this thread but if the agreement isnt that Prometheus is the best Alien movies (Alien is next) then your all a bunch of know nothing faggots

/thread

Every other Alien movie sucks in comparison

Regular guns seem to work just fine in Aliens.

>if I keep repeating buzzwords maybe people will stop calling me a newfag

>see Alien for the first time in college
>blown away
>everyone says Aliens is even better
>it's a comparatively generic action flick that throws away everything great about the original

Attached: bugs bunny is not amused.jpg (250x250, 14K)

>Star Wars trash
Looks like the pleb filter worked.

Exactly.
James Cameron can suck my nuts

How would he not know something of that size was in his chest cavity prior to it breaking free and killing him?

Maybe the chestburster grows really fast. But even in real life people can have huge tumors inside them, without them knowing.

it gives off a kind of anaesthetic perhaps?
yeah, fuck, that sounds stupid.

out of tune with his body dude

Attached: 3-hippies.jpg (400x374, 47K)

You speak of the comic books like they were a religious text. You don't 'know' anything, nothing's 'connected', they're just fantasy creatures that were inserted into the same stories because the parent company's copyright ownership allowed it!

no.

Alien > medium dogshit > prometheus > covenant > hot dogshit > Aliens

>Aliens
>Not the best in the series
Brainlet detected

>me want shooty guns pew pew pew
>game over man! lmao

>Retard filtered
Alien is an aesthetically beautiful but empty film. I think Cronenberg summed it up best:
>“It has no metaphysics, no philosophy,” he told Fangoria in 1979. “The creature winds up as a man in a crocodile suit who chases a bunch of people around a room. I think that my own films do a lot more in touching a deep seated nerve, more than the simple reaction that you don’t want a crocodile to eat you. Alien was just a $300,000 B-movie with a $10 million budget.”
Aliens bothers to flesh out its themes and constructs a well-told narrative around them, with a strong character arc as the focal point and satirical undertones targeting U.S. militarism. Alien doesn't have better visual storytelling than Aliens, either. In places Aliens does a better job. Alien is just more beautiful (but empty).

kewl argument

none of what you said is true