This is one of the big reasons why normal people are so stupid right now

Because "smart" television and documentary programming tries so hard to be either overly profane (John Oliver), engage in bizarre humor (again, John Oliver, or makes itself appears an outright horror movie.

I could never show this Theranos documentary to my mother. It's too weird in presentation with the creepy music, cutaways to old-timey black and white footage (for extra creepiness, get it), and the overly punched up image of Elizabeth Holmes during her interview segments.

Which is a shame because the subject matter is pretty important at the moment. The next big scammer is just around the corner and a person could very easily get caught up in it.

"Smart" programming really needs to get over itself and stop trying so hard to artsy, because it ends up alienating the kind of people who ought to be watching it.

Attached: The.Inventor.Out.for.Blood.in.Silicon.Valley.2019.1080p.AMZN.WEB-DL.DDP5.1.H.264-NTG.mkv_snapshot_00 (1920x1080, 130K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jaOJuQjstbs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

documentaries are for stupid people that want to feel smart

you secretly know that there is only one solution against individual narcissism and leftism
youtube.com/watch?v=jaOJuQjstbs

NOBODY READS

WHAT DOCUMENTARIES ARE GOOD FOR IS SHOWING FOOTAGE WHERE YOU CAN JUDGE NON VERBAL THINGS FOR YOURSELF

I saw a clip on maybe RLM or Lindsay Ellis's channel recently talking about how most modern popular TV shows are actually in the horror genre when honest analyzed. I remember Stranger Things was specifically mentioned, and maybe Star Trek: Discovery. Or maybe it was a comment on Yea Forums?

Either way I think that is also pertinent. The biggest money and brightness talents are being put on projects that will never be appealing to the greater amount of the population who would never watch such shows. They have nothing to watch that will inspire and illuminate them.

have sex

redpill me on theranos

>"smart" television and documentary programming tries so hard to be either overly profane (John Oliver), engage in bizarre humor (again, John Oliver)

Neither of these things are the problem with Jon Oliver. At least not the main ones.
The problem with Jon Oliver's show, and why it isn't "smart", is:
1. It outright lies to the viewer when can't be bothered to skew data or lie through admission, and
2. It's a clown act, and idiots shouldn't feel "informed" for watching it, and it shouldn't feel that its job is to "inform" people anyway. It's job is to make them laugh.

Jon Oliver's show is in no way on par with any kind of "documentary", and anybody treating the two as the same, i.e. treating Jon Oliver's show as a valid source of information about the world, needs to be punched in the fucking head until they wise up.

>I remember Stranger Things was specifically mentioned

Stranger Things is squarely within the "Horror" genre.
It has other elements present, but so do countless other pieces of Horror media.

Literally nobody should be surprised by Stranger Things being labeled a piece of Horror-genre media.

>needs to be punched in the fucking head
You're doing the exact same thing. You will never change a thing in the world with this type of profane hyperbole. It makes people tune out.

she got them crazy sanpaku eyes hard desu

Attached: sanpaku eyes crazy eyes.jpg (787x607, 87K)

It was a whole piece about how television has regressed from being a variety of genres to the point a lot of shows are horror-in-disguise with an over reliance on suspense vs storytelling.

nonsense

To go a little further: there is no reason to show a close-up of a needle puncturing someone's skin while suspenseful music plays in the background. This is straight up thriller/horror material. It will alienate a massive amount of people who would otherwise have benefited from learning this story. Why put a shot like this in a documentary?

That's a long question to answer and has a lot to do with the Generation X ethos that is behind current documentary filmmaking. It's supposed to be rebellious, counter cultural, visceral. But to what end?

looool what kind of mom do you have? does she have the mental capacity of a five year old?

>It was a whole piece about how television has regressed from being a variety of genres to the point a lot of shows are horror-in-disguise with an over reliance on suspense vs storytelling.
>an over reliance on suspense vs storytelling

I can see how this COULD be an issue if taken to an extreme, but the concept of suspense is a critical component of literally every genre of storytelling. It's simply used in slightly varying ways across genres. Suspense in and of itself is the byproduct of conflict and the audience being interested in that conflict.

Attached: Skeptical Sip.gif (400x300, 1.64M)

What are you somebody that hates fun? Just let people like what they like :^)

>being funny will "make people tune out"
>on Yea Forums

This is especially untrue on a place like Yea Forums. This place is and always has been about embracing humor in conversation, even when the conversation is ALSO informative.
We're not Reddit.

Attached: AVGN Frown.jpg (478x357, 18K)

but there is a reason, you fucking retard
It made you feel uncomfortable huh? Associations with pain?
I wonder why Theranos was such a success

Just read a book m8

>WHAT DOCUMENTARIES ARE GOOD FOR IS SHOWING FOOTAGE WHERE YOU CAN JUDGE NON VERBAL THINGS FOR YOURSELF

TOO BAD THEY NEVER DO THAT IN DOCUMENTARIES BUT ONLY SHOW SELECTIVE, ONE SIDED FOOTAGE MEANT TO PROVE A POINT.

>To go a little further: there is no reason to show a close-up of a needle puncturing someone's skin while suspenseful music plays in the background. This is straight up thriller/horror material. I

Yes there is a reason you titanic goober. It's called "creating a mood".
The idea of using Horror-Movie tropes in a documentary, including this one for example, is to thematically represent the fact that the story of Theranos as "a real-life Horror-Movie".
It's representing the fact that she sucked money out of her victims with the image of blood being sucked out of a person, which is doubly appropriate since her machine LITERALLY sucked blood out of people.

I'm saying this as someone who hates what HBO has become, AND hates footage of needle-insertion.

Attached: Sanpaku_eyes.jpg (400x1034, 48K)

If it makes people not watch the documentary then whatever reason it had it failed in.
fuck shit monkey piss stab you in the face with a rusty dildo "humor" should not be combined with a show that is presenting itself a serious examination of serious real-world issues for 90% of its air-time (such as Last Week Tonight spends its time doing). It defeats the point. It actually damages the point by talking about things that have to do oftentimes with life and death situations and then devalues them by presenting toilet humor 5 minutes later.

The left seems to have two modes right now: smarmy politically correct sanctimony (all of the top Democratic politicians), and crass poop joke outrage-addicts who post tweets along the lines of "such and such person needs to suck a shitty donkey dick because people fucking died today you hitler worshipping pumpkin faced retard man-babby... but seriously can't we just be kind to one another?"

Just... stop all of that. Act normal.

> is to thematically represent the fact that the story of Theranos as "a real-life Horror-Movie".
Unnecessary and comes off as sleazy.

If people can't watch a needle entering a skin but they are okay watching countless murders, rapes, torture and mutilation in "fictional" media there's really REALLY something wrong with them.

There are a lot of people who won't watch those things either. But the intended audience is different.

Yeah op wtf thanos didn't even wipe the theranos woman off the earth!! It's just too smart for me, my mentally ill mother gets spooked if there's no capes

Sometimes true.

t. sanpoku eyes having faggot