Who was in the wrong here?

Attached: lane getting shitcanned.jpg (1917x1079, 679K)

Don
No contest

You for posting this shit

society

Lane committed a small felony, that would redeem itself shortly, but the smartest decision would have been to approach Don about his financial matters. He let the pride took the best of him and acted impulsively in the wrong way. In early season 5, Don had loaned Pete a large amount to assure his partner's contribution to retain the company's credit line, and Lane knew it. He could have asked for the same.
Still, Don was an asshole and a hypocrite not to dismiss the whole situation. Lane was close to him, and his loyalty would be priceless, not to mention he'd save the guy's life. He should have acted smarter, not harder, to ensure the situation didn't escalate as it did.

Don could've pressed for criminal charges against Lane. Instead he forced him to resign.

Dude would have found another job quick after working for one of the biggest advertising firms in new york. He was dumb to kill himself.

>Dick gets mad at someone else writing "Don Draper" on a cheque when he's been doing it for years
I wonder....

>one of the biggest advertising firms in new york
At that point they weren't so big

fun fact: the amount Lane stole is the same amount Don gave to his brother to make him go away

Attached: 1538849307543.jpg (1280x1280, 429K)

Technically, just Lane. He embezzled funds and you can't be surprised your company fires you if you get caught. Don was just following protocol, and being generous about it at that; he could have alerted the authorities.

Realistically, both of them. Lane for the aforementioned reasons. Don for having the audacity to claim the moral high ground over anyone else about lying when his whole life is built on a lie.

It's not surprising given how strongly Don believes in earning your own way; for all his deceptions, his father's death instilled the deep sense of being self-reliant and making your own money. He'd steal an identity or another man's woman, but I can't recall him ever stealing money.

He was one of my favourite characters.

Attached: 8c9ef7f80149fdb441bb5e3361de74004ec426446f8b16d88ad2040fdc65e0f6.jpg (639x592, 51K)

...fuck, that makes it a lot worse
worst part is Don isn't even a bad person
he just consistently fucks everything up

Attached: 1544630832638s.jpg (239x211, 10K)

Embezzlement is like the biggest no-no in the corporate world. Lane being the CFO and pretty much the only one looking at the books means he could do basically whatever he wanted with them. Remember that it was almost pure luck it was ever discovered at all. Don had to fire him for the sake of everyone.

Fuck off. Mad Men discussions are always okay.

>Don isn't even a bad person
Yes he is, he's a serial cheater and constantly undermines the people who look up to him, specifically Pete, Peggy, and Ginsberg

>Don isn't even a bad person

...say what now?

100% Don, Don fired Lane because he was afraid that through Lane's embesseling his real identity (Dick Whitman) would be found out. Same as when he forced Pete to can the Lockheed business.

How do you figure? I don't think it had anything to do with that. Only way the feds were ever going to know was if Don himself alerted them as only he and Lane knew he hadn't written that check. It would never have been a concern.

yeah, guess you're right
Idk, never thought of him as someone downright evil or terrible, and he's ashamed of his wrongdoings, so the guilt kind of makes up a bit
still, he does terrible shit to those around him, so I guess you could say he's a piece of shit

Jared Harris for wanting to leave the show, fuck him

The better question is...

Attached: Far Away Places.jpg (2048x1360, 134K)

The writers. It was totally retarded. Lane knew Don loaned Pete way more money before like it was nothing. He couldn't ask for a little help? He'd rather kill himself? Yeah, fucking right.

Pete needed the money for an agreed upon investment in the company that all the partners had to. He was a Jr. Partner who was much younger and less established than the rest of them. It wasn't like Lane who was short on just personal finances, and it was a much smaller amount of money. It was understandably embarrassing.

Fuck me. Why is Mad Men so amazing?

Not at all, none of these guys are strangers to investment, they know Lane is going to get fucked by the British tax service and that his money is all invested.

You have to fire someone for embezzlement. No matter what.

It's like if/when a girlfriend cheats on you. Sure, you may still love her, and she might still have a million other decent qualities, but you have to break up with her. You HAVE to. There is no other option, that relationship is over and you both have to move on. Same situation - trust is gone, fired, move on.

Don was at least a decent man about it and did it in the most respectful way possible. But you cannot excuse this sort of thing and you cannot rebuild trust.

that was actually a good analogy

He came over from the big firm in England that bought them out

Sure, but again it was a much smaller amount of money. It's one thing being a twenty-something jr partner who doesn't have $50,000 readily on hand when his company demands it in a crisis. It's another thing being an established and experienced grown man Sr. Partner who can't put together $5,000 because he simply doesn't have his shit together.

Good post. Don let Lane save face.

Both of them, but definitely more Megan imo.

>Why don't you call YOUR mother?!"

That shit was super uncalled for and I was kind of done with her after that. I'd have walked away from her too just to stop myself from slapping the taste out of her mouth.

this, she's a fucking retarded woman with the mind of a child
like Betty, but with a much nastier attitude
worst part of the show easily, and her actress sucked too

I thought pare was a good actress. She played a spoiled brat well. And megan was the hottest girl in the show

Absolutely this. I'm amazed at how many people are saying Don was at fault, but it does seem to be common here to hate Don for no reason and blame him for everything.

>she's a fucking retarded woman with the mind of a child
>like Betty, but with a much nastier attitude
I never thought about it that way, but you're so right

>I thought pare was a good actress
really? it didn't bother you that she had to loudly exhale in between every line? While rewatching the show, I couldn't fucking stand her scenes, not because of the character itself, but because the acting was so terribly offputting

While we're on the topic this board needs to cool it with the Pete apologetics. He was a total scumbag, serial philanderer, pressured Joan into whoring herself out to Jaguar, smug, cocky, but oh he got JUSTed so all that behavior is okay. Give it a break. Also he sucker punched the preschool guy.

You're an idiot. Don is an asshole and his entire life is built on a crime. He did not need to fire Lane. Having said that, Lane should have been straightforward and demand the firm pay his debt off. It was a company concern, you can't have a partner be deported and jailed or it would make the firm look bad.

Don was such a massive dick to Lane because Cooper noticed the accounting discrepancy and told Don to finally grow up and stop being so nice to people.

Don, the most dishonest and untrustworthy character in the entire show, fired Lane because he "couldnt trust him". Over an ultimately inconsequential amount of money considering Lane's contributions to the company even if he didnt pay it back, which he would have. Lane should have just asked for the loan which he almost surely would have gotten, but Don was absolutely wrong to fire him over it. That and what he did to Faye were arguably the two worst things he did throughout the entire show.

>defending a dirty MacDonald

>It was a company concern
Exactly why he needed to fire him. Don specifically referenced the fact that if their clients found out (which was inevitable) they'd be finished.
You're doing exactly what I said originally and hating on Don for no reason. You're clearly letting your preconceived notions about him affect your opinion.

>While we're on the topic this board needs to cool it with the Pete apologetics.
fuck off, he was based
>He was a total scumbag
only in early seasons, and even then he was playing the corporate game
>serial philanderer
like every other guy in the show
>pressured Joan into whoring herself out to Jaguar
he did it for the company
>smug, cocky
not even the worst case in the company, and he toned down his behaviour
>but oh he got JUSTed so all that behavior is okay. Give it a break.
his fall and redemption arc is some of the best writing in television, you utter pleb
>Also he sucker punched the preschool guy.
yeah, and rightfully so, that was fucking based

>he did it for the company
Whoring someone out for the company is a bad reason.

I like Pete, but that was a shitty thing to do.

I was more surprised Lane couldn't swing that kind of cash. Granted it wasn't peanuts, but he was a friggin partner at a good-sized advertising agency.

>Lane should have been straightforward and demand the firm pay his debt off
Yeah, but the company didn't really need him after the scheme was done, like Pete said. He was just a glorified accountant after that.

Everyone saying Don is an idiot, if the other partners found out it would've been much worse and if a client found out it could've ended the agency.

Don was a bad person, but you can put the blame on his uprising and environment.

He was always going to end up like that. If he hadn't been lucky enough to get rich he'd been a drunk slob spending his day in bars.

It's because this board is full of pathetic weasels just like Pete, who are jealous and angry and hate anybody more successful than they are (which is pretty much everyone, in the case of people here). That's why they hate Don and sympathize with Pete, that's why they hate Jim and sympathize with Dwight, that's why they hate anybody who fits the Chad archetype and sympathize with anyone who fits the Virgin archetype.

There's many good reasons to hate Don, but this isn't one of them.

>Remember that it was almost pure luck it was ever discovered at all.

No it wasn't, Bert had been managing the finances before Lane and he was still regularly checking the books.

That, and Bert giving Don the speech about how everything in the creative department is going to shit because he's on "Love Leave" after the marriage to Megan shows that he was still very much invested in the company when most viewers thought he did nothing but sit in his office reading the newspaper all day and fantasizing about his waifus.

Attached: 1397228941876.jpg (450x253, 23K)

>thinking Don is actually better than based Pete
based Pete was best character on the show
Don was a fucking asshole

Don:
>shitty person
>alcoholic
>constantly depressed
>terribly unprofessional
>doesn't care about anybody but himself
>cries about his unloving parents
>married the two worst girls on the show
>had a ton of shitty affairs
>relies on his looks for everything
>almost got fired more than once
>a threat to all those sorrounding him
>irredeemable

Pete:
>fun guy to be around
>has no addictions
>gets angry, but still tries to turn things around instead of drowning in self pity
>the most professional man on the show
>cares about his family and the company, and even about some of his affairs
>had unloving parents, grew out of it
>had the best wife
>had only the best affairs, including depressed girl and his hot neighbour. Even Peggy, who was not so good looking, was still a qt and a great character
>relies on his competence above all
>got job offers constantly, SCDP wouldn't even exist without him
>reliable
>redeemed himself and vowed to become a better man for his family at the end of the show

Attached: 1547953145432.jpg (780x519, 97K)

Unironically tl;dr but thanks for proving my point.

Pete raped the fraulein though...

Don was right firing Lane, apart from the money the fact that he didn't have enough trust to approach them with his financial trouble that came directly from helping them escape Mccan was a big red alert. It was not too much money and it had a good reason yet he preferred to take it from the company rather than asking it upfront? What if he's later on bigger trouble and needs even more money, how could Don trust him to do the right thing in the future if this time, that was really easy to do so, he didn't.

TL;DR: Lane fucked up by not trusting them enough to ask for the money and thats why he deserved to be fired, not for taking the money by itself.

Peach ice cream is fucking disgusting.

how is Don a Chad? He's a complete deconstruction of the male power fantasy and the of the Chad archetype

You forgot
>dies in a plane crash

idk my wifes cheated on me twice now but we are still together and we still love each other, but i see your point

He's fucks beautiful women constantly, he's handsome, rich, very competent at what he does for a living. It may all be a lie, but his persona is absolutely Chad.

I hope for your sake this is bait

>but i see your point

No you don't

As long as you ram her in the ass or something as punishment it's okay.

Let's not forget the hypocrisy of Don being made about Lane using his name as if not himself didn't steal that name from someone else to begin with.

So comfy

Didnt they intend for it to seem more "consensual" but the actress irl was uncomfortable around kartheiser?

Don wasn't wrong, it was just wrong coming from Don of all people.

I've heard that before. Still, she told the renter or landlord or whatever about it afterwards. Doesn't point to anything good. Shit writing? Idk

half of your points are shit, but in general you are absolutely right - Pete is based, redpilled, our guy, and one of the best characters in the show

Lane for sure, it was his own pride that led to him embezzling money to begin with. If he had just told Don about the situation he was in (he hadn't paid his taxes), I'm sure Don would've been understanding enough to sign off on him taking some money to pay for it, especially considering he was such an integral part of the company, but instead he felt the need to forge his signature just to save face.

No, Pete was being a seedy little shit and the au pair had sex with him of her own will, but reluctantly. The scene captured it well.

Don for sure

Megan was never going to be the matronly figure he wanted her to be anyway and him throwing a fit because she didn't like how the ice cream tasted was just being childish

It's a tough call. I agree with that Megan is the one who crosses the line, but Don's really the one who walks them right up to it. It's only a fight to begin with because he makes it one by being a crybaby about her not being as excited as he is about skipping work and eating serbert.

They were both culpable in the initial misunderstanding of him thinking the trip was a fun gesture and her feeling like it was him treating her like an accessory, but he's the whole reason it became a confrontation at all.

I hate you all
Goodnight

I love Mad Men, but Weiner's a creep, and that scene was written in a way that conveys rape instead of Weiner's actual intention (she fucks him, but only to return the favor)

t. Burt Peterson

Attached: Burt-Peterson-fired-1.jpg (613x442, 35K)

For me, it's Ken, the BEST Mad Men character

Attached: kenc.jpg (970x546, 45K)

Who the hell was Torkelson?

Based.

Why was Duck so nice to Pete in the end?

It was Lane's fault for not forging Roger's signature and pretending like he did it while drunk, like Don did to get a job at SC in the first place.

If I recall, there was also a period between when the bonuses were first approved and when they were rescinded. He could have stated that he wrote checks for all partners, had Roger sign them, and then cashed (and spent) his immediately before they were withdrawn, and would return the funds in due time.

He knew what it was like to be an account man working in the shadow of Draper.

Was he nice? Felt to me like he was trying to fuck him over.

Duck became a headhunter and got a commission for helping Pete get a job

They'd always had a mentor-mentee, father-son relationship, even when Pete treated him like shit for his alcoholism.

Then Duck got him the greatest job ever, and Duck got a shitload of money for getting him to agree to take it. I'd be pretty happy too.

Ken is as much of a weasel as Pete, he just has more charisma.

>Ken is as much of a weasel as Pete, he just wasn't a manlet.

FTFY

>that pancake ass horse tooth
>the hottest

How? He never actually had an affair with any of the secretaries apart from the time he looked up one of their skirts. Instead he had a creative outlet and made a dedicated effort to keep his work life and his life at home separate, and is able to do so just until he goes to work for Dow (which he only does because he gets unjustly fired by Roger). He even lost an eye for his job, which wasn't appreciated wholly by his coworkers.

What makes him a weasel?

BRAVO WIENER
R
A
V
O

Based cuckold poster

Pete was 6ft tall, Ken and Don were taller than him, but he was no manlet
It's incredible how this show had a lot of tall people, most tv shit is just a bunch of manlets
even the shortest manlet in the show, Bert Cooper, was also based

I can easily look past her teeth

Attached: 54d3c09648b66_-_esq-jessica-pare-5.jpg (614x921, 106K)

>that pic
Only Brie Larson has more acting range

You have to fire someone for stealing from a company, if you don't it's a bad precedent everything goes to shit, you just can't trust them. This wasn't a small thing either, we are talking tens of thousands in today's money.

Don handled it the best he could and had the decency to not call the cops

Lane.
My dads friend did the same thing.
>Works in most middle management for a banking firm
>Embezzles money to fund his gambling addiction
>Gets away with it for years
>Eventually promoted. Huge pay rise, free mercedes, great perks
>Stops stealing
>Guy who took over his job finds out he was stealing
>dads friend kills himself in his mercedes

imdb says he's 5'8.

No it isn't. Don gave Adam 5000 dollars and Lane stole 8000.

Don for not letting him repay it from his bonus and just privately shaming him for having done it. Even if he was going to be hard-nosed and insist he quit he should have giving him enough time to figure out some sort of graceful exit/look for something else (a few months, by the end of the year, etc). Shit, Lane probably could have approached their competitors (McCann Erickson, CGC, etc) and said something like these guys are a bunch of alcoholic clowns/they don't respect my work/I don't think I'm going anywhere with this company/etc and jumped ship to another ad agency, maybe even talked them into a little bump in pay etc
tl;dr Don didn't give Lane enough time to come up with an exit plan and so Lane reacted by drinking and getting all suicidal and so he... ackkkk!

Attached: Signal_30.jpg (1503x1000, 188K)

That's not the same thing, the man you described is a habitual thief and degenerate gambler. Lane needed the money the one time to pay back taxes

How do you know it's one time? Maybe Lane would be emboldened by success of his scheme and would try stealing again? Trust is a tricky thing.

Lane was in wrong. He was such a retard for just not asking for help, that whole thing could have been solved so much easier. I actually think Don was a bit too easy on him, letting him resign but even then he was thinking more about the firm's image rather than letting Lane get off easy.

>lane stole $8000 in 1965
>adjusted for inflation that's $65000
how could he think he'd get away with it

no way he's 5'8, that would make him 1,73m, a.k.a. turbomanlet
he's actually close in height with Jon Hamm too

Attached: 5ba74da471d62f1f60f3ac3b6f20e511.jpg (790x535, 68K)

Don cost the company a $25 million dollar account because he couldn't pass the background check for North American Aviation.

Lane had to liquidate his portfolio to keep the company afloat when Lucky Strike left in the next episode, which generated the tax debt that he embezzled to repay. If they hadn't lost that business, it wouldn't have been necessary.

All women are whores: the show

Attached: 1525162293863.png (700x394, 403K)

Don didn't do any underhand shit though, Lane did

Just how many people did Don indirectly kill in this show? His brother, Lane, shit maybe it was his second hand smoke that killed that Menkin chick

It's tv. He could be standing on platform for all we know. Think this tells the story better.

Attached: MM_MK_0321_0006-560x330.jpg (560x330, 71K)

this cunt pissed me off the most
I get that she's one of the hottest of Don's flirts and she actually acts kind of nice
but she's also ridiculously uptight and pretends to be rightful for someone who fucked a married man, who also to be the father of her students, and whose wife she knew, and was pregnant at the time

I suppose you can never know for sure, but needing money to pay back taxes is much more predictable than having gambling debts

>deliberately switches his dog tags with his dead CO and then pretends to be him for the rest of his life to get out of having to fight or getting charged with desertion
>not underhanded

for a certain type of "one in a hundred" man

Attached: I60AW.jpg (604x422, 53K)

>just be yourself
>just act confident

Attached: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.jpg (220x220, 13K)

I'm watching The Equalizer right now at the part he's suiciding the one guy with a hose running from the exhaust to the compartment and noticed it's a Jag

God it feels good to be 6'3 with broad shoulders and a beard.

I suppose so, but even then women are wearing heels, there's the camera angle and the shoe platforms
still, you can see he's not 5'8'', that's just too short

I’m tempted to say both, or neither.
As the viewer, with the benefit of hindsight and our empathy for Lane, it’s easy to say Don should’ve just let it slide. It was probably a one time thing in a moment of crisis.
But realistically, it was a huge breach of trust. If you were Don, how would you know Lane wouldn’t turn around and do it again the next time he needs cash?
You wish Don could’ve just let it slide, but without knowing how it ends up his actions were completely justified.

it's only good if you're European
I'm 6'1 and live in Brazil, and everything is so uncomfortable, because most things were designed for manlets
still, height is attractive here, so I get extra points with chicks because of it

Hard to say. Shipka and Moss are miniature human beings at 5'2" and 5'3" respectively (and lets say add two inches for their heels). If Hamm is supposed to be 6'1, Kartheiser looks believably in the 5'8" maybe 5'9" range to me.

Why is cooper so based?
>you will never be a 1960s ad agency owner who wears bowties and reads ayn rand
Why live?

He's actually the better looking of the two of them here.

Literally, Lane. But I blamed Don for his death and his hypocrisy was sickening.

>The KING ORDERED IT!

I know what you're saying, but Don never embezzled from the company. It's shady, but it is nowhere near a bad as Lane. Don fucked over the Army as badly as Lane fucked over the company though

The real tragedy of the show is Pete's hairline.

Attached: redeye-pete-campbell-mad-men-through-the-years-20150517.jpg (1280x720, 192K)

Did we ever see her in a bikini? I don't remember her tits being that big.

Ya there are a few scenes of her in a bikini. She always had big tits. Looks up her scene in hot tub time machine

me on the right

she throws a hissy fit for some stupid reason after don gets pissed at her for the zou bizou shit, and starts cleaning the house angrily in a bra and panties
I don't know what the fuck is wrong with Weiner, this scene made no sense at all, and seemed like some weird fetish fuel for him
anyway, yeah, her tits are cool, but she has absolutely no ass

Attached: giphy.gif (500x284, 2.56M)

Huh. I never thought I'd hate a character so much that I'd forget about their tits.

Also, is Crane the funniest shit-taking character to ever exist?

Either him or Kinsey

Liquid Ken > Punished Ken > Solid Ken

Based PSH

Attached: serveimage.jpg (304x445, 37K)

Roger is the best.

>his mercedes

Killed himself in a Benz that belonged to his company, what a cunt

What do you thing was the significance on Pete losing his hair throughout the show? Because they had to shave him to achieve that baldness.

I think it was a good way to portray the stress getting to him, and also to balance his baby face