The elite troops of the kingdom of Gondor

>the elite troops of the kingdom of Gondor
>protects a tree in the middle of a fucking siege

Attached: FountainCourtKnight.jpg (300x530, 47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/blog/lets-talk-religion-11-sacred-iconic-trees-around-world/
youtube.com/watch?v=2-d04jV4SSM
youtube.com/watch?v=5RqXD4A7PqQ
youtube.com/watch?v=liCMDsjrCU8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irminsul
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_Oak
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherwood_Forest
youtu.be/1a3RUrU5b0s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

you are not very smart are you

They're also the worst anti-cav unit in BFME

Look at this expert in military strategy.

They're pretty good in Total War: Third Age.

May as well go for cav in Third Age, it just wrecks everything. Plus you can run down those stinking Morgul rats.

The tree gives hope to the whole society. If someone attacks the tree, he will defend it.

if your team's ancient dies, you lose the game

Shit I thought that was Batman at a glance. Batman would've gotten the ring to Hodor or whatever the fuck so fast. Sarah Silverman and Sourman and their cabin boy orcs would've stood no chance.

It was kinda letdown that we don't see them fight.

batman was fighting the big spider, he can't be in two places at once asshole

if this movie was directed by jews they would have an epic fight with the nazgoul

Every thing about Pelennor Fields is kind of a letdown

Attached: downloadfile-61.jpg (1024x740, 265K)

ceremonial position. dude's probably 100 years old

>Protecting something sacred to your people and a symbol of your values
So you're not white, is what you're saying

The costume design in LOTR was fantastic. Even random background literal whos like your tree guard look fantastic.

Attached: yaboi.jpg (200x231, 12K)

i swear they had tower shields on them. was that only in the game?

I just rewatched TTT and couldn't help myself cry. The battle scenes starting with the oliphants are kinda tacky, though.

>Pauldrons over cloak
Jethuth Cwith this makes GoT look good

it's a tree, don't make it sacred in the first place, dick brain

You see a Gondor soldier kill an orc maybe 5 times in total. At least the men of Rohan got good kills

Yeah, not white.

What was Denethor's polices on carbon accounting, forestry and woodlands?

>lose the battle horribly
>oh its cool we have ghosts now
>win in 5 seconds
what a mess

are there any real life examples of individual trees having such an important symbolic in a city/society

Such a shame we never got Dol Amroth kino

it was so anti climatic too.

FUUUUUUUCCCCCKKK Gondor elite tower guard are so badass looking, that helmet and armor design plus the spear and black mouth cover are so fucking COOL, why couldn't we see them more in action bros....

It's descended from the literal tree of the Gods, which provided all light in the World. No fucking wonder they wanna keep one knocking around.

yes that's nice, but do you have anything to say about the question i was asking?

Indians are probably one of the few remaining tree worshippers. Everybody else got rekt by Christians and Muslims

why? they'd just be guys waving spears around.

Ancient Athens was represented by an Olive tree. There was a cult surrounding it and it was a place of deep religious/cultural connection for the Greeks that lived there.

The Cedar tree on the flag of Lebanon is an ent which saved Beirut from the Israelis

Nope
It was a seedling from Nimloth, a gift from the elves. Not the trees of Valinor.
It bloomed at night and smelled nice, but otherwise was not magical.

Imagine standing up there all day wearing that shit.

Must be hot and sweaty as fuck.

gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/blog/lets-talk-religion-11-sacred-iconic-trees-around-world/
Most are from pagan/Celtic traditions there are also a few in SE Asian countries that are just either unusual for the species (like really really big or the flowers of that tree have a particular coloration compared to other trees of the same kind) or are thought to have some kind of magic/divine property and are just rare in the wild and so yes those particular trees would be guarded to prevent vandalism during an invasion of (((orcs)))

The armour's air conditioned

The Liberty Tree in Boston
Major Oak in Sherwood Forest
Thor's Oak in Germany

try again

Attached: lego.jpg (540x721, 80K)

it would be more retarded if there were no elite guard there in the fucking citadel. It would be Sauron-tier retarded. What if some assassin managed to slip in and murder the Stewart and burn the tree?

Attached: TN-Ungoliant_and_the_Two_Trees.jpg (315x450, 51K)

Fuck off with that weak "artist".

Attached: 95tcal_10.jpg (1464x939, 460K)

ted nasmith is kino

Attached: Aule Destroys Manlets.jpg (924x1399, 304K)

Attached: TN-The_Tree_Shepherds.jpg (1280x766, 161K)

Isn't Ungoliant like a million times bigger than Melkor?

Attached: TN-Gandalf_and_the_Balrog_Upon_Celebdil.jpg (880x1036, 580K)

Attached: TN-Last_Sight_of_Hobbiton.jpg (1280x894, 198K)

>being of shadow and flame
>draws an ogre on fire

>Stewart
Who?

I think she only grew bigger after that event and consuming light.

Stewart Gondor, he's Denethor's janitor

oops looks like I made typo, tough luck for me

Attached: REEEEEEE.jpg (762x960, 202K)

>A tree that is the direct descendant of a magic as fuck tree that became the fucking moon
>Not important

I didn't realize DSP was a Swan knight.

Attached: dsp.gif (162x227, 566K)

Is that Stewart?

Irminsul

> I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.
> So do Alwo Livtocesu, Chtymesbutté Datiznoth, Fordemdode'ayd Alwë, Av'dòisse de Coyde, Watto du Wittë, Dimedatiz Givhen "Tousse" Deraroth Erffources, Atvorkin Tiswold, Frodo Besiddins (relative of Frodo?), Devil of Evil, Bilbo Wasmint, Duphaunde Ringin, Witch Caseyo, Wheralzomeent Dohavit and Datizan Encuradgingougt.

I admit I didn't read The Silmarillion. Who were he refering to? Previous ringbearers?

Attached: 1476230870753.jpg (1200x800, 378K)

What's his salary?

I think that's Devil of Evil

Attached: TN-Endgame_on_the_Mountain.jpg (1036x960, 172K)

He does it for free

Only after she drank the light.

Attached: lotr.png (487x762, 748K)

Why didn't Melkor just drink the light himself?

I'm a lorelet, why does the Big guy want to stop the spider made of skulls from drinking tree cum?

It's the next step in his master plan

He wanted to make a neat hat out of them and piss off the Noldor (who would be jealous of his hat)

Not to mention whilst on duty the Fountain Guard can't say a word.

The spider is Ungoliant, a primordial being that grows as she eats. Big guy is Melkor, a Vala or archangel. He was the most powerful being after god but rebelled like Lucifer. He gets BTFO by Ungoliant and has to be rescued by Balrogs, who are Maiar or lesser angels. Ungoliant eventually gets so hungry she devours herself by some accounts.

>ywn see Prince Imrahil charge out from the gates of Minas Tirith with his host of swan knights to aid Rohan against the easterlings and the orcs to this crescendo

youtube.com/watch?v=2-d04jV4SSM

Attached: 0b8.gif (320x287, 982K)

>I'm a lorelet, why does the Big guy want to stop the spider made of skulls from drinking tree cum?

He doesn't. In fact he allowed Ungoliant to consume the light of the trees - Melkor just wanted the Silmarils which he had obtained at that point already. To destroy the lights of Valinor was to mock and insult the other Valor.
Ungoliant however could not quench her thirst once she took in the light which burned her insides yet made her thirst for more. Melkor tried to conceal the Silmarils in a hand but She grew aware of them and desired them too. She wove a web around him Melkor then summoned his Balrogs to his aid with their whips of flame cutting through the webs and lashing Ungoliant away.

he doesn't, they were partners in crime. Their partnership soon ended when the big guy didn't want to give the big stolen jewels to the spider who wanted to eat them. The spider tried to wrap the big guy up in her big nets and the big guy then literally REEE'd so loud that the echoes from his scream can be heard in the valley for thousands of years later.
Personally, my estimation of Melkor as an arch-devil plummeted then. To cry like a woman? It's a fucking disgrace.

Attached: Balrogs_vs_Ungoliant.jpg (720x544, 63K)

In Mexico they worship a tree that has cross shaped thorns

Attached: images (4).jpg (720x376, 54K)

>Melkor gets BTFO by a spider
>Sauron gets BTFO by a dog
>Witch King gets BTFO by the lowliest of them all, a woman

Why does evil job so much in the Tolkien-verse

You're right; Eurangutans don't hold anything as sacred. I don't think that's what you meant to say, however.

I love Nasmith and Howard's lord of the rings art, but the movie version of the Balrog just spoke to me far more than the troll-but-on-fire depiction.

Also, Morgoth was a whiny bitch. Who would win in a fight between his generals, Sauron and Gothmog?

Probably Gothmog. What's Sauron's First Age power level anyway?

Attached: ring.jpg (716x749, 152K)

Look when it comes to Silmarils, all bets are off. Seen tougher entities than Melkor cry blood fued over them.

>Sauronman gets BTFO by Grima Wormtongue
>Grima Wormtongue gets BTFO by hobbits

>Stealing jewels
>Killing white men
>Cause of all pain, suffering and evil in the World

Was Melkor the original black man?

Yeah pretty much. The same proclivity to chimp out and just generally ruin a place that's nice.

Yes. His entire career is basically being salty and saying gibsmedat.

The wages of sin is death my man.

>Was Melkor the original black man?

Yeah probably, he had like black smoke all around him so he was smoking ganja like crazy

Do you have any idea how much that tree lets them write off in depreciation?

Sauron is more powerful, but Gothmog would win in a fight. Glaurung would beat both. Turin beats everyone, non canon notes Tolkien left has him kill Melkor in the final battle.

Watch it user.

Attached: 1498453394120.png (186x160, 30K)

His armor looks so dated and clunky
0 sexyness
now look at GoT s1-s2 armor

The Accountant of Gondor

Stupid Mexicans

>the beacons are lit! Gondor calls for AID
>sends a dozen pozzed homosexuals
what did Theoden mean by this?

Let me spell it out for anyone following along at home:
1. Gondor's tax policy favors real estate. (We want people buying their shacks instead of renting so they are more willing to fight off orc raids.)
2. You can deduct depreciation of real estate. (If the straw in your hut turns bad or an orc burns down your hovel, the law wants you investing again ASAP).
3. That tree counts as a piece of Minas Tirith real estate.
4. In winter, just in time for year end tax calculations, the leaves fall off, dropping its aesthetic value considerably. (This drop in value is multiplied by the gigantic markup in Minas Tirith's property bubble.)
5. The tree is sold to a dummy corporation registered offshore in Valinor, booking the "loss".
6. When the leaves return in spring, the tree's value again picks up, and is bought back from the dummy corporation for a token amount.
7. Repeat.

Sauron gets cucked by a fucking dog, Gothmog takes on the most chad elves of all time and still smacks them around.

Attached: 1512969164097.png (712x802, 323K)

Howe > all

Attached: Fantasy-Art-John-Howe-fantasy-3987411-1464-936.jpg (1464x936, 246K)

What can men do against such reckless tax avoidance

Attached: 1550162818255.jpg (492x388, 39K)

FUCK YOU FAT FUCKING OBESE AMERICAN PIECE OF PULP

Gondor calls for financial aid

Well the Valar are hesitant to sign international tax treaties with mortals. And even if they did, shell corporations could just relocate to places like Rhun or Moria.

You can limit depreciation claims to just property bought more than a year ago, but that means they'll change the scam to involve two trees (or sell off half the tree, alternating each year).

Truly, tax loopholes are an undefeatable, eternal force.

Which is one of the least necessary changes from book to film. They make it clear that the soldiers of Rohan and Gondor were all brave warriors who felled many foes but alas the orcs kept coming like waves on the ocean and overwhelmed the valiant defenders, or something to that effect.
My point is that in the movies most humans seemed kinda incompetent. Orcs are basically armed animals with no training going against real soldiers, it seemed goofy

From movie commentary the soldiers at Minas Tirith are apparently all green and inexperienced garrison newbies. All the war veterans and experienced officers were killed defending or retaking Osgiliath. This was supposed to add to the "tragedy" of the defense being sabotaged by Denethor but Jackson couldn't think of a way to squeeze the exposition in so he cut it.

Even worse, the orcs which kill around 3 elves each at the Hornburg

Yep, so much for all those thousands of years honing your individual skills
But I can sort of, just barely, almost, let that slide since Uruk Hais are clearly meant to be real serious shock infantry. If you Imagine them as the berserkers who swung their axe wildly ignoring any wounds they got (you do not feel pain you do not know fear) the vision behind that scene makes a twisted kind of sense. Martial skill becomes irrelevant at a point when your enemy is literally throwing himself at your swords just so he can stab you and your friends in turn

Feanor was right, bros.

Fat fuck > English autist

Except Balrogs and Trolls

There are many reasons why Gondor got smacked so ignobly, imagine if Theoden hadn't had Saruman driven from his mind and that afflicted man was in charge of military defences. Most of Gondors experienced soldiers were either dead from the Osgiliath attrition holding the river, or were on the coasts waiting for Corsairs. The kingdoms army was not being lead effectively. Hell the crown jewel of the fiefs had to be cut from the movie, no glorious Swan Knights sweeping the field at any point.

There's a lot of jobbing in the movies in order to make the Fellowship stand out and raise the stakes more. Not everything was executed smoothly or fairly, but I'm pretty satisfied with how things turned out.

still the most badass armour in the whole trilogy

wrong

Attached: royal-guard.jpg (769x1000, 309K)

Oh yes of course, theyre as close to perfection as you could reasonably get
Sure we groan at gimli being a comic relief but that was what made the movies less dull and more approachable for the broader audience and even myself when I was younger and hadnt read the books yet. Anyone who seriously shits on a single aspect of these movies is a contrarian and a complete dullard

doesnt matter. the only way you can win as gondor is to pray that isengard/ mordoer doesnt make a hole into your walls and you get cavalry and gandalf asap. gondor is only good in the endgame and there is no way in the world where you can win with infantry

Attached: 1551392119692.png (1495x1268, 1.28M)

I like the Easterlings

Just cav archer-max

Attached: RHUN.jpg (1420x664, 74K)

Except they're meant to be Noldor chads who have been dealing with that shit since the First Age. Instead they get tossed around

it looks pretty dead, were gondorians retarded?

Rohan armor is definitely a top contender, but even though standardizes plate armor in the medieval period is more fantasy than dragons, the Gondor mainline soldier is just so fucking aesthetically pleasing.

As opposed to the god-tier mod that is Third Age + various submods.
Gondor Infantry are fucking sex and can hold three time outnumbered, the stone kingdom incarnate.

Attached: gondor.jpg (350x226, 28K)

Symbolism mang, its why Aragorn somehow finds a seed for a new tree which obviously reflects the rebirth in the Fourth Age.

>mods
mods are pure ass cancer. what this game needs is complete rewrite of the engine combined with hd overhaul

Just like your shitskin brethren in Mecca.

Film logic dictates an army with Legolas skills and surfing antics would undermine the threat of the Uruks spilling over the walls and keep.
We can bitch about the jobbing of millennia old fighters, but its understandable why Jackson filmed as such.
Also
>Noldor archers on the very front walls not stationed on the Keep where they would be just as able to shoot three times as fast a skilled mortal
Theoden what are you doing, you're leaving your most effective asset in crossbow range fucking hell.

Everyone wants medieval 3 but we are stuck gallivanting in China for a few years more user. Suck up the mods and take your lumps because you're not getting any better, unless you can count on Rise of Mordor which will come out the same time as Medieval 3.

That or they could just stop releasing shit like warhummer and do another moddable medieval again.

The loading times in Warhammer are a more real threat to campaigns than Chaos.

warhams has been their most successful project period.

they’re unstoppable from the front, they even kill trolls. Put them right in the middle and guard the flanks and you can get hundreds of kills with them and take virtually no casualties.

What? Medieval 2 mods are fantastic, Stainless Steel and 3rd Age Divide and Conquer are like completely different games to the base.

goys we are talking bfme here. not total war

whats that pic from tho?????

LotR youtube kino coming through:

youtube.com/watch?v=5RqXD4A7PqQ

Well Third Age + Submods is a Total war thing, hence the confusion

>evil guys have spiky armor
Love it.
I love that scene where they're massing for battle and you can hear the plate rustling.
>what this game needs is complete rewrite of the engine combined with hd overhaul
Yeah good luck with that devs and publishers are lazy worthless cunts.

actual kino coming through
youtube.com/watch?v=liCMDsjrCU8

bha I would do it if I anyone would extract and convert all the assets to a manageable format. fuck ea, this needs to be a fan project

You're essentially waiting for Rise of Mordors campaign release like the rest of us.
The big problem is that modern total war games have many hard-coded limits, the campaign map has proved to be unmoddable at least in the obvious ways.

Im talking of bfme. not total war ffs

There's an active community for BFME and BFMEII and I'm sure they've released patches with balancing and stuff. Plus they have HD mods.

Every reply is alternating between BFME and Total War

... How? That's like Age of Empires/Mythology level of dead strategy franchise user.
RIP in peace ;-;

it's literally the best lotr game with original sounds from the films. and it's pure domination and not actual rts in the classical sense

My big problem with getting into the BFME series are the unit limits, total war even limited to at most 10'000 has spoiled me. The vanilla game looks more like a large skirmish with heroic units rather than a war. Whats the maximum number of soldiers in a big battle you can have user?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irminsul

OH COME ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

I gotta disagree about the costume design just for the Gondorians.
Their helmets were so fucking stupid. They're easily fixable just by putting a mouth covering on as seen in the OP, but the standard soldiers don't have them and they suffer tremendously for it.

I prefer BFME1, it's way less cartoonish with a God-tier campaign. But the balance for the game is so fucked.

Are those Balrog's in front of it? Fucking hell how big did the thing get.

They're totally different games but there may be a mod to increase unit cap size if I remember right, although it wont be anywhere near total war numbers. T3A is the online community if your interested though, even just replaying the campaigns in higher fidelity is pretty nice.

obviously. bfme2 is an absolute abomination

To be fair, most battles in Lord of the Rings are very small, normally between 5-10K troops. It is basically a 'hero' story and less about strategy and geopolitics

Dude how was I supposed to know I had to pay taxes to Gondor, come the fuck on!

Attached: angry.jpg (280x280, 21K)

100 of these lads could solo the entire Middle Earth

Attached: Rhodok_Sharpshooter.jpg (380x560, 59K)

Devoured the settings equivalent of stars, this was a BIG fucking spider.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_Oak

At least they're white.

Fucking devs are garbage!

Attached: 2018-1-25-Founding-Fathers.jpg (1024x440, 156K)

>Playing Divide and Conquer
>Sauron calls an invasion on Minis Tirith
>Within 4 turns Rhun, Harad, Mordor and Moria Orcs have all sent full stacks

END IT

Attached: 1551680705062.jpg (625x482, 68K)

Welcome my son.
Welcome to the grueling test that is the Gondor main campaign.
If you were playing MOS, those doomstacks would be teleporting.

the idea of your army carrying over from each battle was cool. Felt like you were taking the same dudes all the way to the end and they made the relief armies of both sieges your own personal guys. your second run through was fun because you could plan out your army composition to ensure you had a good army coming.

It is fun as fuck not gonna lie. Time for Faramir to show his quality. The archers are gonna be doing some work.

>Sherwood Forest
He said real life, not mythical locations from Robin Hood.

Actually enjoy these sieges, the best made custom maps are Gondors defenses so once you get your act together and take the fight to the shadow, you won't be having quality cinematic sieges again. The gritty hold in the early game is one of the best parts next to making mainline plate armor common enough to field fullstack steel soldiers.
Archers and spearwalls are your friend, make the entrances of Minas Tirith and Osgiliath a terrible carpet of corpses.

Felt so much more epic than BFME2 campaign. Final level at the Black Gates for the Men campaign was just perfect, better than the movie. Just hordes of shit coming at you with all your heroes.

trivialised the campaigns by overrunning the enemy with your level 10 army. theoden with glorious charge and everything in 2 seconds

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherwood_Forest
Sherwood Forest the location is real user, it also has a real history of banditry (like every other forest in England), but it's most famous for the mythical activity of Robin Hood.

Who was the most stylish member of the Fellowship?

My vote goes to this lad here.

Attached: 1508443652221.jpg (1978x2878, 825K)

the gondor soldiers looked fine, mouth coverings are for towelheads

It keeps the pace of the campaign up though, as it was mainly for 'defence missions'. If you've survived their waves no point spending another 20 mins mopping up their base. But it did mean you could just build up and upgrade before moving on to the next mission, which made it a bit too easy

>muh rohan

Rohan are based off vikings and the vikings were barbaric pillaging niggers. Gondor is the faction for true patricians.

>play war of the ring back in broodwar
>Saruman is a Protoss Carrier and can juke out of isengard in front of helms deep to barely get hit while he wittles it town
hated playing Rohan

>rohan being fucking memed on with the entire Westfold folding is not seen as weakness
>gondor holding the line against the ultimate evil until it finally breaks is
Gondor gets too much shit and too little credit agreed, people look to the movies too much.

It's waves, first wave Gandalf word of power, 2nd wave Aragorn mini ghost army, 3rd wave golden charge, 4th wave full size ghost army, final wave all in with everything, should have all reinforcements by then and hopefully a 2nd word of power shot

Nah they're Anglo-Saxons. Every LotR faction is England at different points in its history

>rhun and easterlings
Better to say all Men of the West who didn't follow Melkor post the sinking represent different periods.

youtu.be/1a3RUrU5b0s

KINO

The Brown evil men represent current England, Tolkien was very farsighted

sexy beast

Isengard is the most kino faction.

yeah vikings are renowned for their horsemanship and epic cavalry charges! Dumb American.
Their language is "translated" to Old English by Tolkien (Edoras is Old English for "houses" or"enclosures" for example) and their culture is clearly based on the Anglo-Saxons.

Attached: Kzlyjsh.png (589x564, 850K)

They are a rush faction pure and simple.

They have great armoured infantry though, I prefer it to Mordor spam.

this, pike formations are aesthetic as fuck

>Yeah, not a superstitious pagan
Fixed it

Dude, seriously. Don't fuck with that tree!

why didn't faramir just tell his father to shut the fuck up and convince everyone to follow his lead instead because denethor was clearly insane?

I'm unmanned at the sight of him.
My buttocks cleave for him

Not anymore there isn't.

Attached: Charlemagne.jpg (1200x1751, 459K)

[Servile Instincts Intensifying]

>pike and heavy armor formations in theory should fuck over dumb horse charger
>facing towards the sun somehow makes coordination of sharp sticks impossible
What is the balance fucking fix this now

I EM GOLD

Ghost army.

p based reference bro

Attached: 2-song-of-roland-778-ad-granger.jpg (594x723, 410K)

Fucking underrated

They did not look fine.
Shit, at least if they had full faced visors, their incompetence could be played off as them simply being faceless mooks.

How long did this take you.

Attached: 1550876181055.gif (160x160, 999K)

it took me a while to google the pasta.

Attached: 1547511870000.png (412x371, 110K)

Based

He's obviously Lucifer. Orcs are africans.

yeah but they look fucking glorious when fully kitted

Morgoth literally means black foe. Also, his original chimpout literally brought forth evil into this world.

whites brought evil into this world

My Gondor strategy is pretty much:
1)put infantry as far as possible away from where the enemy spawns
2)skirmish with archers and lure them back to your lines in a big disorganized mess as you kill the enemy trolls with cavalry charges. Theyre faster than your archers so they have to be killed first. They’re surprisingly weak to a good charge but your guys are useless in a melee against them.
3)blob all the infantry up and charge at the enemy units one by one when you can’t stall any longer, start hitting them in the back with cav, this usually results in mass routing.
Mordor armies are huge but their lack of cavalry means that some decent skirmishing will cut their numbers in half before the melee starts. The main thing you have to watch out for is enemy heavy cavalry. The nazgul/rhun cavalry are absurdly powerful so naturally they’ll always be the last on the battlefield even if they were the first to engage. Have fun with those shits.
If you survive to like turn 70 the endgame Gondor units are absurdly good and trivialize the game. Swan Knights are hilariously powerful. Having dominated the game with the mere 13 swan knights allotted to the general’s bodyguard, you can imagine my joy at finally acquiring 50 of these bad boys to practically win battles by themselves.

Gondor was really not explored enough in the movies, if they had come out today they probably would have split the Return of ther King into two parts.