How many UHD Blu-rays do you own?

How many UHD Blu-rays do you own?

Attached: dude i fucking love pores.jpg (920x613, 185K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blu-ray.com/movies/The-Martian-4K-Blu-ray/147430/
imdb.com/title/tt3659388/technical?ref_=tt_dt_spec
thedigitalbits.com/item/martian-the-uhd
twitter.com/AnonBabble

So many that I can't even count them all.

Better question is how many patrician UMDs do you own?

>falling for the HD jew
I only watch movies through CAMRip torrents on my phone.

Watched The Martian last night. Probably the most Reddit film ever. Where was the cosmic horror?

approximately 0

>tfw stuck on Mars and dancing to disco music and cracking jokes
le epic cinema

0, soon to be one when Alita comes out.

None yet. But I plan to upgrade to a 4K HDR Premium TV later this year, with a UHD Blu-ray player. Unfortunately, they are only putting new, big-budget movies onto UHD Blu-ray so far. But a lot of old movies were scanned at 4K resolution years ago for Blu-ray release, so 4K versions are not far off.

To be honest, though. My DVD and Blu-ray collection is about 70% complete, and I don't see myself upgrading many of them to UHD Blu-ray. It will be nice to have a dozen or so, though, because no home-viewing format beats playing a digital disc. It has the least compression, often uncompressed DTS 5.1 or 7.1 (I have surround sound), and there is far less chance of interrupted play (internet issues or streaming issues). Not to mention the extra features.

This. Alita would be a nice time to upgrade since it's probably been about a decade for most of us since the move to BD and 1080p. 4K sets are super inexpensive.

What res was the CGI mastered at?

No idea, but I assume at least 4K, hopefully higher.

so far i have:

blade runner
blade runner 2049
die hard
escape from new york
the fifth element
first blood
ghostbusters
halloween
predator
they live

i'll be getting alien & dawn of the dead when they're released this year.

>4K sets are super inexpensive
Make sure to get something that has "HDR Premium." The new video standard changed from Rec. 709 (shitty dynamic range) to Rec. 2020 (better dynamic range) and no one seems to be talking about it, because it means they have to admit they've been selling people 4K TVs that are still on the old standard for brightness and darkness ability.

A quality 55" 4K LCD with HDR Premium will cost you about $850, but it is future proof vs the shitty $400 ones that TV makers are pawning off on an uninformed public right now.

Don't be duped, user.

The human mind can only process upto 1080p

Do you actually notice a difference with older movies?

Still not a terrible price for that size and all the features. A 55 inch TV cost like 1500 about a decade ago, or more.

more grain

Movies shot on film are supposed to be where the biggest improvement is I think

35mm can go to 8K easily, if the film stock was decent. 16mm is more comfortable at 2K.

>Do you actually notice a difference with older movies?
Not the same user, but it depends. There is no standard of how older movies were shot. Some were shot on shitty cameras, some on awesome cameras. Some on shit lenses, some on $40K cine lenses. Some on shit film stock, some on the most expensive, modern stock and processed at premiere processing labs by the best and most experienced technicians. Some had shit lighting, some had awesome Hollywood lighting.

Every movie is literally different. A Hitchcock movie from 1960 might look leagues better than some indie movie from 1982.

But to answer your question. Most films from the 1940s up until the early '00s were shot on some variant of 35mm film, which most agree has a max potential resolution of about 6K. Some movies were shot on 65mm, which has even more, some say up to 12K or so.

So yes, older movies shot on good stock and with good film processing will absolutely benefit from a 4K upgrade. And people who can't see the difference need to visit an eye doctor pronto. I can see the difference immediately.

16mm is more comfy

>Still not a terrible price for that size and all the features.
Yeah, and they are coming down, fast. Wouldn't be surprised if a 55" 4K HDR Premium is about $600 by the holidays.

Acktchually 480i is the hightest resolution you’re eyes can detect due to the high amount of lines.

most of what i own was shot on film, and all of them are an enormous improvement over blu-ray in terms of fine detail, grain, and color.

I'm waiting for 8k at this point.

Attached: tommy-wiseau-laugh.jpg (720x404, 28K)

About 50

>And people who can't see the difference need to visit an eye doctor pronto. I can see the difference immediately.
People who "can't tell the difference" are probably watching on a 1080p or even 720p decade old TV. It's obvious when seen on a high resolution screen.

I have
BR2049
Planet Earth 2
The Revenant
Life of Pi
Terminator 2 remaster
Earth: one amazing day
Everest

>Planet Earth 2
>Earth: one amazing day
Aren't those the same thing just remixed

Watchmen
Sucker Punch
Man of Steel
Batman V Superman

Wolf of Wall Street on 4k when?

>Gearfags
Fuck off.
Higher resolution won't make a shitty movie better.

>not buying prime RCA technology

Attached: rca-ced-player.jpg (415x202, 12K)

No, but it will make a good movie better.

>Better audio won't make music better

I wouldn't. 4K is going to be the standard for a lot of years. 2K was just a stepping stone from the old standard-def.

People like to meme about it, but there really is a limit to what the eye can perceive. While most can tell the difference between 2K and 4K, very few will be able to tell the difference between 4K and 8K. Of course I am talking about a 40-60" TV at a viewing distance of about 7-12'. Large theater screens are a whole different story. With a screen that large, you will be able to see the difference between 4K and 8K. For that reason, I see theaters upgrading to 8K projection in about a decade, but 4K remaining the standard for a long, long time.

The next frontier in video improvements will be to lessen compression, which is really what ruins video quality the most. Cable TV is the absolute worst, streaming is slightly better. Blu-ray currently has the least compression. To eliminate macro-blocking, banding, color and exposure bleeding, aliasing and other compression artifacts, we need to figure out bandwidth problem. And for home viewing, we need to figure out the hard drive space problem.

I have a 900p monitor OP, stop making me feel poor.
A racing movie I stole

Yup. I have a friend who still has a POS 720p TV. No matter how many times I've explained to him that a 1080p TV has literally twice as many pixels, he still thinks his 720p TV is "HD" and the most resolution you can get.

Just bought a 65" 4k screen 2 days ago and have been downloading 4K movies for use with Plex. I noticed with HDR movies playing through the original Xbox looked shit since it dosntr surpport HDR or 4K but when using the TVs built in plex app you can tell it looks great.

I love plex but am not sure its the best for 4k, does anyone have a better option for use with Samsung smart TVs?

Attached: dante.jpg (399x399, 28K)

na, one amazing day doesn't even have David Attenborough.
It's the same kind of film though, different animals

1 dunkirk

the truth hurts

Take him to your place, show him the light.

>poorfags
making angry posts wont make you happier

streaming 4k on services like that is still quite low bitrate.
If you want real eye candy then invest in a decent disc player. Sony have a cheap one with high end processor inside

I have. He is just one of those tech dummies who can't admit it. I think he just doesn't want to admit that he should have been buying blu-rays instead of DVDs for the past 5-10 years. He has a giant DVD collection, which is fine, but he should have been buying blu-rays for the past 5 years at least.

I like having a diverse collection of DVDs, blu-rays, and soon UHD blu-rays. But I don't pretend that DVDs in any way match the quality or viewing experience of blu-ray. Especially since there is such a wide variety of quality in DVDs. First gen DVDs sucked. Second gen were okay. It wasn't until they were almost obsolete that they realized they had to scan old films at a high resolution, and sometimes do a little tweaking, to get the best image possible, even at standard def. I actually have some DVDs that look like high def after my blu-ray player has up-rezzed it. And then I have some DVDs from like 1996 that look like they were transfers with a potato.

>watch PG rated movie in HD
>can see nips through a shirt

yeeeep

Don't forget le Donald Glover genius negro whizz kid.

I have blurays and dvds, I've seen the difference.

But I still see no proof that 4K isn't a scam.

You can set Plex to stream native locally. It's hard to find properly ripped movies online, though, you're usually better off ripping it yourself.

>buy 720p TV
>think it's HD
>still buys DVDs
Your friend is a retard.
I pirate/rip all my movies, and I spent a few days last year replacing every DVD rip in my collection, so everything is at least 1080p. I want to eventually replace them with my own rips as well, but that takes time.

Have you tried to see proof?

I've seen the TVs in stores. They have no idea how to calibrate them.

>No, but it will make a good movie better.
This is what plebs don't understand about home movie setups. Watching a movie like Aliens on a computer screen, with shitty computer speakers or headphones, will be enjoyable, because it's an enjoyable movie. But it's MORE enjoyable on a large, quality TV with as little compression as possible and 5.1 surround sound. It's as close to the original display format that the director intended without seeing it in a good theater.

store TV's are on demo mode which is just bright flashy colours and contrast

>Your friend is a retard.
Pretty much.
I am building a collection of my most favorite movies. My criteria is if it's not something I want to watch at least once a year, I don't want it in my collection. I currently have about 300 discs, and I think I am going to top out at about 400-450, depending on how many awesome movies come out in the years to come.

I also have about 2K discs that I ripped and burned from the old Netflix DVD days. And when I want to watch some new pleg shit, like capeshit or the like, I always wait for 1080p torrents of at least 4gb file size. Watch and delete. Or if the movie is awesome, I watch, delete and then buy the blu-ray.

>screencap from a movie which was mastered in 2k

oh i'm laffin alright

answer is zero, btw. However, I do have a few of them downloaded. It's a bitch because it takes about a week to get each one over 12mb/s internet and torrents with few seeders.

>store TV's are on demo mode which is just bright flashy colours and contrast
Such a shame that people are so misinformed on what makes a picture good. They are brainwashed into thinking blinding brightness, super contrast, over-saturated colors and """"tru-motion"""" are markers of a good image. Fact of the matter is all those things are degrading the image, not improving it.

First thing I tell people to do when they've bought a new TV is to go into the menu, turn all the settings to the halfway or "0" mark, turn the color temp to neutral, and turn off all picture 'improvers' that have defaulted to auto-on, including noise reduction, tru motion, deep contrast, etc...

The 50" TCL one at Costco goes for just 270

a what?

The movie was shot on all 4K cameras. You really think they are just going to uprez a 2K version for the 4K release?

Zero. I torrent everything.

>The 50" TCL one at Costco goes for just 270
I don't buy garbage. Buy once, cry once. For anything you are going to use every day, that is the best policy.

Ultra HD Blu-rayis adigitaloptical discdata storageformat that supersedesBlu-ray.[2]Ultra HD Blu-ray discs are incompatible with existing Blu-ray players.[1]Ultra HD Blu-ray supports4KUHD(3840 × 2160 resolution) video at frame rates up to 60 frames per second,[2]encoded usingHigh Efficiency Video Coding.[2]The discs support bothhigh dynamic rangeby increasing the color depth to10-bit per colorand a greater colorgamutthan supported by conventional Blu-ray video by using theRec. 2020color space.
The specification allows for three disc capacities, each with its own data rate: 50GB with 82Mbit/s, 66GB with 108Mbit/s, and 100GB with 128Mbit/s.[2]Ultra HD Blu-ray technology was licensed in mid 2015, and players had an expected release date of Christmas 2015.[2]Ultra HD Blu-ray uses a new revision ofAACSDRM, AACS2.
On May 12, 2015, theBlu-ray Disc Associationrevealed completed specifications and the official Ultra HD Blu-ray logo.[3]Unlike conventional DVDs and Blu-rays, the new 4K format does not haveregion coding.[4]
On March 1, 2016, the BDA released Ultra HD Blu-ray with mandatory support forHDR10Media Profile video and optional support forDolby Vision.[5][6]
As of January 23, 2018, the BDA spec v3.2 also includes optional support for HDR10+ and Philips/Technicolor’s SL-HDR2.[7]

Emby is head and shoulders better than plex.

The presets are pretty good in most high TV's these days.
I have a bravia, I use the cinema pro preset and turned off all the other bells and whistles, clear motion, auto bright, all of that crap.
Looks really good

they did
blu-ray.com/movies/The-Martian-4K-Blu-ray/147430/

Yea Forums what do ya think of watching on 21:9 screens, 34inch+ ?

I only just recently upgraded so only 11
Off the top of my head:
Logan
Greatest Showman
Dredd
Kingsman: The Golden Circle
Alien: Covenant
Starship Troopers
Starship Troopers: Traitor of Mars (awful movie, don't recommend)
Love, Simon
John Wick
John Wick: Chapter 2
BR: 2049

I plan on buying Spider-Verse next

My friend said he doesn’t have to buy 4k blu-rays because his xbox displays normal blu-ray as 4k

Attached: EB263223-9A54-4D7B-BE7E-82D91ABE96DE.png (645x773, 23K)

I am sure it looks good. But it is likely altering the original image a little bit from the director's original vision. The purpose of TV or monitor calibration is to eliminate all those things and provide a image that is 100% neutral, hence displaying what the media author intended you to see. A log of those cinema pro presets and the like are fucking with the gamma and color to give you the cinematic look de jour.

Look into a pro calibration DVD. You will be amazed how off your settings are.

3440x1440 is based, as it is very close to ultrawide 4K resolution. 2560x1080 is pleb tier, but better than 16:9.
Hardcoded black bars are the work of the devil and need to be manually removed.

>blu-ray.com/movies/The-Martian-4K-Blu-ray/147430/
That is that websites marketing mistake. The movie was not mastered in 2K, and if it was, that was only for the blu-ray version. They go back to the original edit and use a 4K master for the UHD release. Even the review says the 4K version is a noticeable upgrade in sharpness and picture over the 1080p version. Are you really getting your info from bluray.com? KEK

You say that as if the blu-rays themselves don't alter the director's vision

>You say that as if the blu-rays themselves don't alter the director's vision
Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Depends how involved the director was.

Some effects shots were 2K, but the live action stuff was shot 5K on Red cameras. So the UHD blu-ray will be mostly 4K from 5K native footage, with some 2K effects from the original edit uprezzed to match. It is not a 2K movie.

However, some movies are simply uprezzed. I laugh at anyone who bought a blu-ray version of 28 Days Later, as it was shot on standard-def video cameras. Regular DVD is the best quality you're gonna get.

I don't have physical copies. Just got a new oled 65' so I've started downloading UHD remuxes. So far I have Planet Earth 2, Blue Planet 2, Infinity War, Blade Runner 2049, Dunkirk, 2001: Space Odyssey.

imdb.com/title/tt3659388/technical?ref_=tt_dt_spec
>Digital Intermediate (2K) (master format)

thedigitalbits.com/item/martian-the-uhd
>ox’s new Ultra HD Blu-ray edition of The Martian includes 4K video (2160p) presented at a 2.40:1 aspect ratio. As confirmed with the studio, the film’s live action imagery was shot by cinematographer Dariusz Wolski in 5K resolution using RED Dragon cameras (mixed with 4K GoPro HERO4 footage and other sources). This was downconverted to 2K, combined with 2K visual effects, and then the film was graded and finished to a 2K digital intermediate for its theatrical release. For this UHD presentation, that 2K DI was upconverted to 4K again and then the studio went back to the original 5K raw camera assets for the live action footage. The final HDR color grading for UHD was done in the 4K space with the film’s original colorist, and was approved by the filmmakers.

The only 4k content on this release is the live action sequences without any CG in them. So basically only the interior and Earth shots.

Why are they using the cover of the movie as a comparison instead of actual screenshots?

what about "I changed my mind and this is how I want it to look now" directors

Zero. I still have my favourite movies on Blu Ray and I don't even have a HD TV yet.

>For this UHD presentation, that 2K DI was upconverted to 4K again and then the studio went back to the original 5K raw camera assets for the live action footage
Hate to break it to you, but even in a movie like The Martian, the "live action" bits are a vast majority of the movie. A lot of the backgrounds and stuff were shot in like Morocco or northern Africa or whatever and the rock formations composited in. So it's mostly 5K footage with some 2K bits CG'd in. Not ideal, but if you are watching The Martian on UHD blu-ray, you are likely watching 75% of more native 5K downscaled to 4K.

>what about "I changed my mind and this is how I want it to look now" directors
There is a special place in Lovecraftian nether dimensions for those assholes, where they get ass raped by Azozoth for all eternity.

Terrible for IMAX movies, open matte movies, and movies which go from CinemaScope to 4:3 and/or 16:9 like The Grand Budapest Hotel.
Great for certain CinemaScope films and especially ones in the 2:55:1 aspect ratio like La La Land.
CinemaScope monitors are best for vidya.

OLED TVs are best TVs.
I also have a 7.1.4 surround sound setup with Dolby Atmos/DTS:X.

Here's my list of eye candy 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray releases (in no particular order and no digital-only 4K releases):
Live Action films:
>2001: A Space Oddyssey
>Blade Runner
>Blade Runner 2049
>La La Land
>Star Wars: The Last Jedi
>Solo: A Star Wars Story
>Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
>The Dark Crystal
>Labyrinth
>The Bridge on the River Kwai
>Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk
>The Greatest Showman
>Prometheus
>Alien: Covenant
>Christopher Nolan's films
>John Carpenter's films
>Murder on the Orient Express

Animated films:
>Ghost in the Shell (4K only available in Japan, comes with English subs and dub)
>Innocence (4K only available in Japan, comes with English subs)
>The Little Mermaid
>Mary and the Witch's Flower (4K only available in Japan, comes with English subs)
>The Lion King
>Your Name. (4K only available in Japan, Hong Kong and Germany, Japanese and Hong Kong releases come with English subs but not the German release)
>The Peanuts Movie (better in 3D but really amazing in 4K)
>Resident Evil: Vendetta

TV Series (very few are currently available on 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray, many Netflix series are available in 4K):
>Westworld
>Game of Thrones
>Fraggle Rock (it's not in 4K but when it's deinterlaced to 60fps with something like YADIF 2X, it looks amazing watching 60fps content on your 4K TV, even if it's SD content that has been upscaled to 1080i that has been upscaled and deinterlaced to 4K)

what are the sizes?

The real upgrade from certain UDH blu-rays from the regular blu-rays will be the HDR. A lot of these movies got the royal treatment in remastering, color correction, etc, around 2010 or thereabouts. So with the UHD versions, upgrade will not be many changes in sound or color, but in resolution and more importantly dynamic range, since 35mm and 65mm film was the reigning king for dynamic range from until a few years ago, when digital cine camera sensors finally caught up to their approximately 16-18 stops of dynamic range.

With these new HDR 4K blu-rays, the ooohs and aaaahs will likely be from the increased dynamic range, assuming you have a HDR premium player and display, which you'd be a pleb not to.

500mb
10/10 thanks yify!

>>Game of Thrones in 4k

seriously?

Movies/series only available in 4K on digital which are great:
>Isle of Dogs
>Goodbye, Christopher Robin
>Taylor Swift: reputation Stadium Tour
>Stranger Things
>Altered Carbon
>Okja
>Blame! (HDR but not 4K)
>Flavours of Youth (HDR but not 4K)

And for video games which are great for witnessing how great the black levels of OLED TVs are:
>Splinter Cell Trilogy (PC, add widescreen mods, fixed shadow mods and you can optionally install HD textures from the PS3 remaster, PS3 version is okay but not as good as the PC version with mods)
>Silent Hill 2 - 4 (PC, install a ton of mods, especially for Silent Hill 2, there are also mods to add the HD Collection voices for Silent Hill 2 and 3, don't install them since the HD Collection's voice acting is inferior; and for that matter, avoid the HD Collection on PS3/Xbox 360 like the plague)
>Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection (PS3, the HD Editions of MGS2 and MGS3 in particular look amazing on an OLED TV. MGS1 [not on disc but is on a PSone Classics download code that comes with the collection], MGS4, and Peace Walker look amazing as well on an OLED TV)

Season 1 only for now, it's one of the very few TV series which is out on 4K Ultra HD.
Now, I just hope that Neon Genesis Evangelion is on 4K on Netflix.

I have the two Blade Runner movies, Batman v Superman and Jupiter Ascending in 4K. Waiting for the 4K release of Into the Spiderverse.

Attached: jupitergrid.png (1893x794, 2.55M)

Not same user, but why not? It was shot in 4K, probably has 4K digital effects. It would absolutely benefit from 4K display.

Does animation really look different in 4k?

75. You would have to be blind to call it a scam. I grew up recording and re recording VHS tapes and I don't want to ever go back.

season 1 huh?
I wonder how that naked little girl in king's landing looks in 4K

Stranger Things is on 4k lu-ray

blu-ray*

Yes.
For 3D CGI animated films and stop motion films shot in 3D, the 3D version is much better to watch on a 3D TV or a VR HMD.
But for 2D animation or stop motion which wasn't shot/converted in 3D, the 4K version is the way to go.
There are some CGI animated films with no 3D release like Resident Evil: Vendetta or The Incredibles 1.
Especially if it's analog 2D animation made on 35mm/70mm film.
In particular, The Little Mermaid and Ghost in the Shell look absolutely amazing in 4K.
Even 2K upscales like Your Name., Mary and the Witch's Flower, The Lion King, and Innocence look amazing in 4K.

I forgot about that.
But the 4K releases are somewhat flawed.
For one, the 4K version of Season 1 only has a Dolby Digital audio track rather than a Dolby TrueHD audio track like the 1080p Blu-ray and has no HDR at all.
Season 2 is much better, since it has a DTS-HD Master Audio track and HDR10 but no Dolby Vision HDR.
They're much better as collector's items.

I also forgot to add in Air Force One but that movie looks downright gorgeous in 4K.

Is there even a single 4K tv capable of 3D?

Mine
55 inch curved Samsung from 2016

Does it support Dolby Vision?

It's not, at least 90% of the time hollywood CGI is rendered at 2K and the movie itself is usually master at that as well.

Most UHD's are a complete waste of time. I have the full 4K setup and i can hardly tell the difference betwen 1080p and 4K. HDR has more impact but i do see it as looking better, most disc make a hash of it and just "Boosts" the colour.

All in all i only buy 4k of movies pre-90's and those filmed in 70mm with in camera effects. They look sweet like Bladerunner and 2001

Zero.

No Samsung TVs do

>seeing every pore on actors face
yikes

This man knows his shit, i notice the biggest difference on older movies shot on 70mm like 2001.

Bladerunner was also a big step up even through it was shot on 35mm because all the SFX was done "In camera"

Anything with heavy CGI post 2000 have the least improvement. In essence this a great format for classic movies

The 2016 models of the LG OLED TVs.
I sometimes watch 3D movies on my 2016 model OLED TV (which I moved to my bedroom since I upgraded my living room TV, which ironically has no 3D).
And LG OLEDs also support Dolby Vision (but not HDR10+, which is on some Fox UHDs and Walt Disney Japan's very few anime UHDs like Mary and the Witch's Flower and Innocence).
But I prefer watching 3D movies in VR, anyways.
I personally use a PlayStation 4 VR for watching 3D Blu-rays but I also have an HTC Vive Pro for my PC.

>seeing every bump on actresses nipples
based

When I had my first 4k tv, i bought logan 4k, couldn't see the difference from bluray honestly, but that was because it was mastered in a 2k di
>important
But then I bought goodfellas, they said the mastering was fucked, you could see more grain, sure, but then you notice the texturing of the suits, the trunk lighting and ambient shadows, it was beautiful, close to what having a personal reel would be, christopher nolan 4k collection
>minus the prestige
Are staples and must owns in the 4k format, I autistically watched the bank scene openings and plane scenes from tdk/tdkr, you will notice the difference immediately, apparently that nigga used 11k resolution the special effects/mastering tdk onward, and it shows

Attached: 1551839117887.jpg (2100x900, 1.04M)

>I personally use a PlayStation 4 VR for watching 3D Blu-rays
Dude what? That must look horrible, PSVR has the worst pixels per inch and crappy res.
I got the vive and thought full length movies were unwatchable with that. I had to buy the vive pro just to achieve satisfying VR cinema

wow you can see his pores thats so epic and it enhances my viewing experience

Attached: 49938678_719393451788457_4387839697418715136_n.png (960x720, 1.02M)

I have a LG 65 OLED too, it cost £3000 because it was pretty much the last 3D TV they made. It has all the bells and whistles too. 4K, HDR premium, DV, 3D i just hopes it last as many years as possible. I still love 3D and this TV has the best 3D i have ever seen, better than even the cinemas

I've been streaming Planet Earth 2 over Netflix on my LG oled. Seems like there are lots of scenes with CGI. I think it first started really annoying me when the false killer whales came into the picture. Now, I almost feel cheated and am having a hard time finishing the series.

How does this look on ultra BD?

Watching 3D Blu-rays on the HTC Vive Pro requires me to rip the Blu-rays, which would degrade the quality a bit.
And it's simpler doing it on the PSVR, anyways.
I do make digital copies for watching them on my New 3DS XL.

This.

It looks great on UHD BD.
Netflix 4K is shit, push the info thing and look at the bitrate

>tfw you never see drive in true 4k
>tfw you waited for a 4k tv to watch the LoTR trilogy only to learn it was mastered in 2k
>tfw a lot of 90s hong kong kino was shot with low budget equipment and probably wasn't stored very well and they don't look that much better in 1080p, let alone 4k

that said the 4k library is getting better and better. i just got an OLED during black friday and i'm waiting for more content at this point. give it a few years.

If yours is the same model as mine it should have HDR10+, it was written on the box

>Watching 3D Blu-rays on the HTC Vive Pro requires me to rip the Blu-rays, which would degrade the quality a bit.
>I do make digital copies for watching them on my New 3DS XL.

Attached: what.gif (359x202, 3.03M)

>buying the plastic jew

There's a difference between regular HDR10 and the superior HDR10+.
Samsung's recent TVs support HDR10+ and AFAIK LG doesn't support HDR10+ yet for some reason.

I only make the digital copies so I can watch them on my New 3DS XL, which has a 240p screen.
I only watch my 3D movies on my 3DS if I'm somewhere else.
But for watching it at home and in VR, I would prefer the quality to be untouched.
And 3D films in VR look amazing.
I am really hyped up for Alita: Battle Angel's Blu-ray 3D release so I can watch it in VR.

Why do they lie with screenshots like this? SD is not that bad, HD 1080p is not that bad

>The next frontier in video improvements will be to lessen compression, which is really what ruins video quality the most.
This

Need Nancy tiny boobie bra in 4k screencaps

the jew operates digitally

>Why do they lie with screenshots like this?
Because they're selling you a product.

BR2049
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Starship Troopers
Cliffhanger
The Fifth Element
Rambo II
Rambo III
Predator

The Karate Kid comes out next month and I'll definitely be getting it.

Have you seen The Story of Ricky on the UK Blu-ray? I have an untouched rip, it looks phenomenal.

I made my own custom Blu-ray since the UK Blu-ray does have is a gorgeous remaster, but the audio is only in DVD-quality Dolby Digital, while the US Blu-ray is a DVD upscale but with DTS-HD Master Audio.
My custom Blu-ray has the UK video and the US audio, it also has all of the bonus features from each release.

Is there any benefit to watching it from a disc as opposed to a file on my pc?
DVD's used to have all that copyright and anti-piracy messages and shit like that you could not skip.
Is blu-ray or UHD or whatever different?

Nice! I think I got mine from Cinemageddon. Same deal with Tiger on the Beat.

Got an XB1S cheap to use as a 4k player/stream box and a basic 4k TV recently. Been getting stuff only when on a good discount.

Blade Runner - Final Cut
Deadpool 1 & 2 set
Die Hard - 30th Anniversary
Logan
Mad Max Fury Road
Pacific Rim
Terminator 2 remastered
The Fifth Element

My wallet makes the final call, but I'm trying to avoid buying shit movies even if they're cheap to just have them. Not buying crap like Jupiter Ascending just because it's in the bargain bin.

Attached: Thumbs Up.gif (488x263, 1000K)

i have about 10 dvds/blurays but only one of them is UHD - love simon

What do you mean by a file?

Like an .mkv .avi .mp4 .. etc
I've got some DVD's but I haven't used them in maybe 8 - 10 years.
Are we going back to physical media?
For example people are uploading 2k and UHD torrents right now, but are people claiming that some quality is lost in the conversion and you ought to watch it from the disc?

You can get a 1:1 copy of the disc content if you download "REMUX".

Being able to see pores doesn't improve a movie at all

Attached: lxsNpXL_d.jpg (402x402, 13K)

I'll try to simplify my original question.
What's the upside of watching a movie from blu-ray or UHD disc as opposed to watching the same movie from a digital source that purports to be of equivalent visual fidelity?

superior bitrate supposedly not that I understand that much

>i can hardly tell the difference betwen 1080p and 4K.
Get some glasses, retard

but what's the point in seeing every little wrinkle and mole on someone? is that what filmmakers really want? it already ruined porn.

I've always wanted to count Jason Bourne's pores.

>Implying that's the only benefit
based retard

That's just how they advertise to brainlets

what is even the point of buying all these cutting edge TVs when fucking networks are years behind in technology? especially when you watch older shows, holy shit. a week ago my regional network aired alexander and it looked like a yify on my TV.

physical media and streamimg of course

To me, 4k is more relevant for video games or Excel spreadsheets.

There was a massive leap from VHS to DVD, a good improvement with Bluray, then 4K is simply clearer but not earth shattering.

The Martian was a fun movie.

With this coming out next month I just need LOTR trilogy on UHD and I’ll be satisfied.

Attached: BC03A75A-F053-4110-A057-89A77704A9E8.jpg (1554x1999, 1.44M)

>Alien
>HDR
>OLED TV

Attached: YESSSSS!!.jpg (912x317, 88K)

Best rips I have are x265 4k and I literally can't see the difference between 1080p high bitrate
It's a meme

Let me let you in on a little red pill. 4K Blu-ray quality far exceeds 4K Netflix quality due to it having far less compression

Based

Not 4k. It's tendered in uhd. Then upscaled.

>uses highlighter and pen to explain orbital mechanics to the director of nasa while making noises with his mouth

Are you watching it on a 4k screen?

I only have 1. for Mad Max Fury Road

28mm is actually higher resolution than 4k so if they take the time to redo from the master it will be very crisp I think that's what criterion collection does I forget. my dad actually collects remasters of old films and went on about some group that does it but I didn't pay any attention since I don't care about his old films

No
Also fuck hdr

None.
I didn't even get a regular blu ray player until a couple years ago because it was in a pawn shop for and I talked the guy into throwing the player and a box full of movies in when I was buying a hand gun.

based retard

I started buying all my new releases in 4k last year. I also have Fast 8 but my brother is borrowing it.

Attached: 20190310_093747-1.jpg (2236x2236, 2.88M)

What do y’all niggers play them on? A ps4?

The effect isn't as drastic as that infographic implies, it's hard to describe if you aren't viewing it yourself
You don't actually see their pores, that much is true though

Xbone s/x are the only consoles that have a 4k player built in
Otherwise you just buy a 4k player like you would blu-ray or dvd before that

So many are just 2k upscales with HDR grading. Some of which is really questionable on digitally shot content. (Aka just about everything post 2002)

I'm happy with 1080p and will go out of my way to keep buying normal Blurays and find 1080p TV's.

You might wanna fix that cinegrid, literally none of the screens are lined up properly.

This.

HDR can be great, but it can also be really revisionist. (Look at Fury Road and how it made all the fire Orange)

they are in the salt waste user. it's orange because of the high sodium content.

this is in-world rules of law

Yet it was red in the theatrical presentation.

Normal Bluray was my last physical medium. I'll be going full streaming/download for the foreseeable future.

The disc market just isn't there anymore and it'll be lucky to still be alive in 5 years.

they are in a nuclear wasteland user. it's red because of the high strontium isotope content.

this is in-world rules of law

>I also have a 7.1.4 surround sound setup with Dolby Atmos/DTS:X
What's the name of your sound system?

I keep a rather small home video collection, so I'll probably just keep upgrading the movies I have when the 4k version comes out.

Don't have any series though. I know that's a big sticking point with a lot of people. (TV shows barely get Blurays and mostly just come out on DVD if at all)

>4k UHD
>When practically all movies are still finished in a 2k digital intermediate.

It's really amazing just how many home video enthusiasts fall for snake oil. This is literally the same hype phase that 3D Bluray had in its initial lifespan.

fuck hes got you beat user

I typed it wrong. It's actually a 13.2 surround setup.
I have a Denon AV receiver.
Specifically, the AVR-X8500H, the best one currently out.

>What's the name of your sound system?
Steve

It's going to be like the early days when anime switched over to digital paint and being rendered at SD.

Stuff that was done on film will look amazing but there is going to be a 7-8 year gap where anything made during that time frame is going to look like ass.

I'm not giving a list of benefits and that's what the picture is implying

Attached: z25Mlko_d.jpg (229x240, 8K)

I've stayed out of the 4k UHD market because of the variable standards HDR grading has had. (Dolby Vision only very recently appears to have won out)

A LOT of early 4k TV buyers got screwed. Especially those that could handle the old early HDR standards but can't do Dolby Vision.

This.

Another example is the HDR of the original Independence Day. It fucked with all the reds in the movie.

Note: the standard SDR release Bluray they re-released with the UHD doesn't have these issues.

You can turn off HDR and just enjoy the increased resolution if you prefer.

I've got a small collection of 4K UHD's going. Though I'm limiting myself to stuff that was only finished on 35mm or above film.

It's possible we may see stuff like LOTR eventually in 4k, but they are going to have to go back to the original shot elements and basically redo the entirety of post production.

Basically, exactly what the HD remaster of Star Trek: The Next Generation had to do.

>AVR-X8500H
Damn. That shit ain't cheap.

the human eye can't see more than 2k at 30fps so this is a meme

Yeah early digital anime is really screwed. The worst will be the stuff from 2000-2007. Those shows will all be locked in a 480i/p.

Hell, even a lot of the HD shows up until 2015 were animated at 720p and were upscaled for broadcast/home video.

It's been 3 years why haven't they done Lawrence of Arabia yet?

I have a list. I only like a few movies that I consider to be perfect, like Seven Samurai, Alien, etc, that I want but I'm waiting until prices go down.