Why was she just a bitch a to kid spock? What was her problem?

Why was she just a bitch a to kid spock? What was her problem?

Attached: michael-burnham-spock-star-trek.jpg (777x437, 128K)

Her characters very existence is offensive and disgusting.

STD is not cannon so who cares

Joke's on her. Spock became more famous than she'll ever be.

Mods are out in force tonight

The latest episode was fucking outstanding, best Star Trek in years. An actor playing Spock who isn't just "faggy asshole". Ethan Peck nailed it. Burnham was straight up racist to Spock. That's a BLACK WOMAN being RACIST to a WHITE KID on a MODERN TELEVISION SHOW folks. You should be fucking over the moon.

And Spock fucking hates her. What more do you want?

>Her characters very existence is offensive and disgusting.
True dat.

>The latest episode was fucking outstanding
It really was. I hope they keep doing exactly that.

you do realize that the best star trek in years has little meaning when its the first trek released in 15 years right?

Bobbleheads are bitchy to everyone; it's just their nature.
I take it you've never been to a government office in a city?

Attached: Booyah!!.jpg (1024x768, 318K)

and what more do I want? Solid stories with allegories to scientific or societal problems told well in 45 minutes with a hopeful back drop.

>and what more do I want? Solid stories with allegories to scientific or societal problems told well in 45 minutes with a hopeful back drop.
It took them a while to find their way, but I'm hopeful the series just might grow to be awesome.

She's so pretty with her hair like that. Continue posting more pretty star trek women pls

It's so boring. When is the Star Trek stuff going to do something new and futuristic? Part of the appeal of the show was thinking about the future tech

how the fuck did the parents have a white and black kid?

Yeah but do you really expect me to slog through a ton of shit to get to one good episode? I also hate the characters.

You actually don't want that at all, because these people would absolutely fuck that up with overly partisan political allegory vs the broader strokes Trek classic took.

Of course, if what you want is an entirely different cast, team and premise then obviously that's fair, but given what this show COULD and HAS been, this latest episode was great.

>Hi I haven't even bothered to watch it and yet will criticize

Why is 15 years your cut off for "in years"? This was the best Star Trek "thing", anything, since the best episodes of DS9.

Just watch this one then.

Hyperbolic much? Enterprise had some great episodes all about the beginnings of the federations, but in your hope to look like a fan you skip it and Voyager because you think that one good episode heavily utilizing characters that have had their characters deconstructed for 50 years. Nothing about STD has piqued my interest since its abysmal first season and its attempt to "win" me back by casting a third Pike and Spock are depressing. I'll pirate it at some point maybe but shill more subtly if you can

Enterprise and Voyager both sucked massive ass. Even when Voyager fucking came out and I was a massive Trek nerd at like 10 I never bothered to watch it, it was just TNG but shittier. Eventually I got into DS9 after disliking that at first too ("hurr it's not on a ship, who cares") but VOY never offered a reason to watch it.

Is it cheap of Discovery to have recast Pike & Spock as early as the 2nd season? Yes. Are they the best Pike & Spock since the original actors? Also yes.

Despite all STD's flaws, and there's some even in this very good episode (Emperor Georgiou just makes no sense as a character), I challenge any true fan to watch the latest episode and not find anything to be at least interested in.

>Why was she just a bitch a to kid spock?
Maybe try actually watching the episode with the sound on so you can hear her very clearly explain it. Jesus fucking Christ you're a retard.

Yea Forums in one post.

He's a wh*te m*le

As further backstory, I'm in the UK and I actually ordered the VHS of the first episode of Voyager before they aired it in the UK because I was that much of a Trek fan. Remember enjoying it but when the show actually started I probably watched it for a few weeks and just never bothered tuning in again.

But STD is not canon and has only been made to sell CBS AA and gain Bad Robot merchandising rights

I recently watched voyager, its not amazing but it finds some interesting avenues to go down that TNG didn't but you are right in the sense that its just an inferior TNG. Though ENT has some great moments it just bogs itself down in the same bullshit that STD does where it prioritizes a giant over arching story over the day to day interactions that Trek got popular with. I'll get into it at some point but I' waiting for it to end so we can get a real sequel series so they can just ignore disrupting any timeline bullshit and focus on doing good stories

>Yeah but do you really expect me to slog through a ton of shit to get to one good episode?
You do have a point.

>it's not canon because it was made to sell something
I have some bad news for you about all television and film...

This. She's literally like Rey and Captain Marvel, So Much Ass AIDS!

Well hopefully the Picard show will be that, and I'm cautiously excited about seeing the future of the Star Trek universe after nearly 20 years with a variety of prequels, but I've really enjoyed most of this season of STD and this weeks episode was a very nice cherry on top of the pile. Certainly way better than the garbage we got last season with the mirror universe.

The Picard show isn’t canon either, it’s set in Bad Robot’s Prime universe

Can you stop getting everything wrong? Prime is the original canon, Kelvinverse is the JJ films, STD is the original Prime universe updated for modern audiences. The opening of this weeks episode literally confirms this.

she's black

I honestly would prefer it if STD were set in the kelvin verse it would let them do something interesting with the fresh canon.

>Why was she just a bitch a to kid spock? What was her problem?
Logic Extrememists had a point. A human child amongst Vulcan society is gonna go mental.

Really, the entire character makes more sense when you see it as them being right about everything.

I'd have preferred it set in the Kelvinverse post Beyond, but it's set where it's set and it gives us the opportunity to see episodes like this week.

The only problem they have after this season ends is that Season 3 without Pike and Spock is going to seem like a bit of a step down. Ideally they end Discovery and spin-off an Enterprise series.

If this was star trek and not an Expanse cashgrab calling itself star trek you wouldnt even have this level of shitty soap opera drama, instead youd have a relatively light hearted adventure story about a likeable memorable team of explorers who have actual camaraderie and respect for each other. I think that's what trek fans want from trek, not a shitty attempt at GOT in space. Even enterprise managed to learn this lesson after a bumpy first 2 seasons

There's nothing about this show that rips off The Expanse in any meaningful way, you are poisoned by YouTube shills.

It sure as hell isn't like trek in any meaningful way either

A bad character with bad writing? Oh jeeze, where did it all go wrong?

>make her a no nonsense commander like RIker
NOPE, VULCAN INSERT WHAT'S GOING ON WRECK THE TRAIN

What about it specifically is unlike Trek?

She's black.

I've been shilling this week's episode throughout the entire thread but I will say one thing about the writing - it makes no sense for Spock to still resent Burnham so much. He even says he understands what she did but his reasoning for holding that grudge and even saying on Talos IV "it was a mistake to idolise you" or whatever is kind of silly and *drumroll* illogical.

No I don't want to see a pre kirk enterprise again, do something with pre TNG or do a proper ending to Enteprise and show the beginning of the federation with the Romulan war. That or I've always wanted to see a movie or TV series set on the Farragut showing what happened to the crew and seeing how a young Kirk adapted to command properly

My older sister called it a soap opera when I showed her an average episode, and I knew STD was fucked. Then I showed her The Inner Light. She cried, and said "there is no way the new series will reflect this." I took it as the interpretation of the common audience, She's smarter than me. There is no way they can recover from what they've done as far as I'm concerned.

They can't even satisfy the audience they're so desperate to identify with. Who simply does not care.

Be reasonable? They'll destroy the climate worse than the right than agree that they're not being reasonable. Come to the round table, and they'll make it a trapezoid.

Go ahead and Google image search the expanse and star trek discovery. Notice any similarities? Aesthetically they're exactly the same, they look like they could be from the same show. It's pretty clear some exec saw the expenses success and decided "we are gonna make our own dramatic grim dark scifi show with blue filters, blue lights and lens flare". And than tell me how it's like the old trek shows in any "meaningful" way please.

Still not watching it. You can post all day about [latest episode] being the best ever and a new direction and a course correction, I'm still not watching it.

Attached: STD shill bingo.png (1060x1090, 134K)

>it doesn't look like a TV show filmed in the 90s therefore it's not Star Trek
Are you just pretending to be retarded or is this legit?

How about you tell me how it's like trek outside of stealing some names? You really gonna pretend STDs narrative, atmosphere, writing, episode format, story or characters are anything like previous treks?

No, The Cage scenes they used were separately licensed archival material. Midnight's Edge covered this.

OK

See
Go ahead and try to explain to me how it's like any of the previous treks.

I got [2,1] [2,4] [4,1] [5,2] [5,4]. No bingo for me. Also the center square in Bingo is typically a "free space".

Not enough conference room debates.

If they had just let the black chick BE THE FUCKING CAPTAIN instead of whatever they did all this time and have real star trek? But no, this has been garbage. I don't know why anyone exists or what they're doing, because I don't care.

First black female captain? We already had an admiral but this shit would have been way better if they just did it rather than doing some back-patting. For fucks sake just do it.

>the ME shill finally arrives
Hey, how's that announcement of Discovery Season 3 treating ya? I thought ME "confirmed" (lol) that STD was cancelled?

So you basically want Star Trek to be stagnant and never change anything about how it approaches storytelling? It has to look and be exactly the same as all previous Trek shows (except TOS for some reason) otherwise it doesn't count? We've seen how badly that goes already, with the anodyne VOY and ENT. STD may borrow a little too heavily from the Kelvinverse visual style but it's still Star Trek. Look to episodes like New Eden and the episode 2 weeks ago about Saru's home planet for more classic Trek-ish themes. No one is ever going to make 90s Trek ever again, time to just embrace change and find the positives in what you're getting. STD is already much more Star Trek than the first two JJ films. Beyond might have it pipped but not by much.

Actually they already did it now that I think about it. GOD DAMMIT. I hate the neo-left.

>SO PERFECT
>SO INSPIRATIONAL
>MUH MONEY

there was a black lady captain in Voyage home and the first season of TNG Geordies mom was a starfleet officer but I don't think she was the captain

They wouldn't have debates it would be mansplainings until the strong black woman claps back

They can change the show all they want, my dude. I don't have to watch it.

She WAS the captain. Pandering is just a way of saying "hey, we're fucking you too but at least you can watch other people make money that you liek1"

Who said you did? You're missing out on a good Trek show though.

I didn't day that, I said that made it an expanse cash grab. It's not trek for multiple reasons and if you're an honest person who used to watch trek you know what those reasons are

Orville is making 90s Trek

I can afford to skip Gilmore Girls in space thanks.

I think I agree if with the other user (if I understand him). It's not that there needs to be some groundbreaking First Black Captain but rather that Michael should have just been the Captain.

Does this post mean you’ve never seen STD, Gilmore Girls or both?

I know the Gilmore Girls writers they have for this failed streaming service bait have never seen Star Trek.

I know it's been talked to death but I think it's bad that there is obviously a "main character" of this series and its focused on her adventure. That's what makes it stand out from other treks for me.

>stagnating

If it wasnt broke dont fix it, I mean surprise surprise, star trek fans want more trek, not poorly written drama. You know what's stagnant? Grimdark reboots.

I dont even know what you mean by stagnant, you trying to say a adventure scifi show with a likeable team that has camaraderie is stagnant?

>how the fuck did the parents have a white and black kid?

the same way they had a half Vulcan kid and a 100% human kid

I just accepted a long time ago that there will never be another TOS, TNG or DS9. Given what Trek could have been turned into the JJ films were sort of OK, it was fun to see Nimoy as Spock again and there was just enough respect paid. Into Darkness sucked, Beyond was a nice Trekkish romp with some modern flair and best of the 3.

Then this new one starts and I was enjoying it but half the season spent in the mirror universe was annoying and when the Enterprise turned up at the end I really thought the worst. But Pike has been great and now Spock is very promising. When its good why not enjoy it? There was plenty to hate last year but nearly nothing now.

We’ve already seen how stagnant it is. The diminishing returns of VOY and ENT. No one needs that again.

This crew is likeable, the problem with STD is the main character and they’ve clearly realised their mistake there and have fleshed out the ensemble well this season.

>There was plenty to hate last year but nearly nothing now

Well I'm sorry friend but I hate (unfunny) sassy black woman leads so I'll have to pass

$0.01 has been added to your All Access account!

Lmao at you trying to pretend it was the format that went wrong with voy and ent

You sound like a beaten wife whose abuser just gave her a pat on the head

Like I said, they tried something new by making one character the focus instead of the ensemble. The new episodes demonstrate they recognised the mistake there.

None of you have even bothered to watch the new season so you're talking out of total ignorance. No one who has ever been a fan of Star Trek would find very much to hate in the latest episode. Dislike? Yeah, maybe. Nothing's perfect.

And Sisqo's girlfriend was the owner and captain of a cargo ship. Geogiao was a smart move in terms of trying to prioritize an under represented minority in Trek. The next Trek Captain needs to be a queer Arab trans-woman(male) that's the combination that would piss off the most people all at once. The reason they didn't make her captain is the added drama of making it seem like everyone is "talking down to her" because they constantly write it as if her immaturity is an asset and punish anyone who combats or suffers due to it. She isn't a terrible character conceptually, being raised by Vulcans is an interesting concept but bogging Spock down with it was the death keel of my interest of not only in her "growth" but the series as a whole

That's the thing about STDfags. They're always going on about "Voyager" was bad or "Enterprise" was bad, or that the formula was being ran into the ground. Bullshit, Star Trek was amazing from 1966-2005, and it wasn't until Jew Jew Abrams came along and ruined everything with his canon annhilating film series, that it all went to shit.

THIS is why people believe Midnight's Edge. 1966-2015 is CANON. Jar Jar Abrams films are ALTERNATE shit. And they can call STD and Picard show Prime, but the one thing they can never call it is canon.

I think the success of stargate sg1 and Atlantis shows that in the same general time frame, there was still a place for light hearted adventure scifi. More recently the orville proves that the format still has legs. Voy and Ent were just
bad shows, there was too much shit going on behind the scenes, creative differences between basically everybody on set, and meddling from (((UPN))).

I'm sorry but they can call it canon and they have the power to make it officially canon

wrong. im the person who would attempt to murder you if you tried to tell me stop doing something while i was drunk.

>decide I'll give the shill the benefit of the doubt
>I lose nothing by just giving it a try
>CBS all access exclusive

Ahahaha this show was made to be DOA

the thing is we're on the second season of a story that was written to be a single season initially and my "hope" for an entirely different team has met three times. Bryan fuller wasn't invested enough to even finish his premise the two morons who got fired this season didn't know how to budget and the current has a illustrious resume that includes Star Trek Into Darkness the only other release that can be seen as worse than STD. I'm happy to hear the episode was good though when I watch it on Netflix maybe I'll be surprised but I'm not giving CBS my money for it though

>The next Trek Captain needs to be a queer Arab trans-woman(male)
white peoples sarcasm has become so stale its just sad now.
>i am a attack helicopter

>big sister being a bitch to little brother
News at 11

It's not entirely sarcastic, I would say the least represented people in Star Trek are probably Hispanic or Latin people,southeast Asians and Arabs. There were some blog posts with people stating that trek should have a Mulsim character in the same vain as Chekov, try to humanize a current cultural antagonist through television. Now Trek is an interesting place to discuss shit like gender norms, because it frankly wouldn't be a problem in that far the future because identity is decided by the individual but contribution is based on competence rather than verbosity or status. Part of what makes Trek good is its willingness to not only get goofy but try to say something, and that kind of politics works in single episode formats rather than writing for arcs.

>It's not entirely sarcastic
your jokes are bad. just say whats on your mind without writing something that will get most people to stop reading instantly because its just boring after all the time.
not sorry that your style jokes dont stay hothot forever and always

They better not because star trek is roddenberry's vision of an atheist scientific society and the federation ditched religion ages ago. Islam of all religions being the one religion to survive and progress into roddenberrys utopia would be hilarious though

What do you even mean? It is a joke I came up with during the pre-production of STD but are you just taking the "slight" against trans people there to far or trying to just get annoyed with talking to me? Because then why are you talking to me

Don't worry one of the directors freaked out on Issacs for ad-libbing My God during a scene so I think they'd avoid any direct stories about religion

STD is not Star Trek

Really? I ditch the series because I was tired of the faggots. Should I pick it up again?

Ad libbing on a Star Trek set is apparently a huge taboo. I remember an interview with Bill Mumy where he recounted when he did a guest spot on DS9 he changed a line at random and got called out for it. The line was supposed to be "That's that."; Mumy said "Well, that's that." After the third take, someone from the production team approached him and asked him if he was changing the line, and he replied that he was because it sounded more natural, and then was horrified when she told him she'd have to take it all the way up the chain to the executive producers if the line change was to stand. He said he thought that was literally the most insane thing he'd ever heard in all his years in the industry, but apparently that was how things were done on a Star Trek set: any change, no matter how minor, to the script had to be cleared by the executive producer. Mumy decided not to ad lib the line after he was told that.

To be honest I'm sick of all this crap.
Star Trek is supposed to be in a future where humanity doesn't give a crap about races. And the creators say they don't give a crap about the main lead's sex.
Then what you should do is envision a main character. What sort of human being you want. What drives the character and how it relates to the rest of the crew.
Then do the casting. Man, woman, black, yellow, blue, green, white, it doesn't matter. See what the actor/actress brings to the mix, and chose accordingly. Just for once forget about politics and chose the best one for the job.

everyone hates her, she’s one of the most loathesome characters ever in any show

sheboon is adopted, but she is smarter and better than spock in every way of course and they love her more than thier real son

Star Trek Discovery isn't real Star Trek, though, so none of what you said actually applies.

Why is youtube recommending me clips from TNG/VOY/ENT/DS9 with witty dialogue and stuff but whenever it's a STD video it's just shit exploding and pew pew? Are there any good memorable scenes in STD?

Is it no surprise black men are not attracted to this, and instead come after white women?

>quick! We need something the audience will recognize as trek
>Insert whole scenes from TOS pilot which is tonally so different from STD clearly showing the contrast
>STD ends up being an even bigger cluster fuck
What will they try next guys?

When your Star Trek series is called Discovery and there's absolutely no discovering being done.

Attached: laughingcrew1.jpg (600x474, 57K)

>mfw "DISGUSTING LITTLE HALF BREED"

Attached: 1527812630129.jpg (600x450, 24K)

>S-Spock I'm sorry I called you a la creatura del Vulcano I d-dindu nuthin I was-
>LMAO (logical-ing my ass off) shut the fuck up Michael I didn't bring you here to absolve you of your chuunibyo phase the fate of the literal galaxy and trillions of sentient lives are at stake and all you can think about is how it all revolves around you WEW SPACELADS

Based Spock. And he looks good with a beard. Michael Burnha"FTM" is just jealous.

The actors that are bashir and ash tyler are muslims. Chikotay and belanna are hispanic, there is even a female poo in loo in std who is like lorcas number 1 in the mirror verse. And the ensign who spills hot chocolate on picard is hispanic, ensign gomez.

Attached: startrek_fraiser.jpg (800x1010, 357K)

Same here, honestly. I really enjoyed having the main crew characters taking the spotlight at different times. And out of all the characters they chose probably the worst one to focus on this show.

>frasier star trek crew
Now, that's a good cast for a trek series

It was real, google it.

I know, I watched it a few times already

it was a legit good episode. i just wish they had stayed more to the original denovian guys designs, seeing as they literally just showed them on screen as they were earlier.

other than that my gripes are few. now all the shills have to do is start calling it std like the rest of us and i'll stop hating on the show.

Spock: You bullied me as a child.
Burnham: Get over it.
Spock: Apologize.
Burnham: Never.
Spock: You're dead to me. I have no sister anymore.

Was she such a massive bitch to her other brother too?

Attached: Michael and Sybok.jpg (1016x433, 294K)

Michael = Sybok. She will undergo a sex/race change at the end of short trek seaon 2.

Bullshit. She never approaches their level of Mary Sue. Do you even watch the show?

Apart from the fact that she now plays a vital part in saving the galaxy once again.

>there will never be another TOS, TNG or DS9

Are you daft? It's obvious the studio is heading that way due to fan backlash, and do you really think the STD team is ignoring the success of Orville? Where there's a market for something, it will eventually be provided. There is obviously a visible and vocal market for comfy exploration sci fi. If I had to guess, I'd say in 5 year we'll consider it oversaturated.