Besides some of the bad dialgoue and bad acting by Jake lloyd, why did people hate it?

Besides some of the bad dialgoue and bad acting by Jake lloyd, why did people hate it?

Attached: 1533866551349.png (268x402, 180K)

It was universally loved until RLM trashed it

stop pretending as if you aren't from earth.
you know why people hated it.

terrible story. Really bad CGI that doesn't stand up.

This, people always bandwagon on hating things. The Phantom Menace is a great movie

>Makes a billion dollars
>Why does everyone hate it bros!
It is a perfect film.

>It is a perfect film.
Whatever you say.

Attached: jar jark binks.jpg (1920x1080, 160K)

>this is what zoomers actually believe
I knew TPM was shit when I walked to the parking lot right afterwords. Some video by some internet celeb changed nothing.

it's pathetic to dislike the whole film because jar jar has 2 minutes of screen time.

Sure thing, Mike

You were objectively wrong though

Watched it recently.
It feels so fucking long.
Some scenes go on forever.
The pod race for one.
People who tell you it's fun to watch are lying. This movie was just a way for Lucas to showcase and play around with new revolutionary tech and none of those special effects, being the main point of the movie, have ANY impact today.

Too smart and boring for kids (politics), too shallow and kiddie for adults. Also obvious Plinkett's review diagnose.

>It is a perfect film.

Attached: 1422927885523.png (398x409, 49K)

You're wrong. Anti-prequel sentiment was abound from day one. People were furious when TPM released. Internet debate was extremely heated and went on until Attack of the Clones released, at which point it exploded all over again. It had many defenders (myself included), but it had an equal amount of harsh critics. It was not universally loved by any stretch of imagination. All RLM did was condense an exhaustive list of nitpicks as a handy go-to reference to unite the dissent which had been bubbling away for years.

Attached: 1531855538929.png (857x780, 255K)

This isnt true at all. A lot of people hated 1 and 2. People seemed to like 3 a lot when it came out though, though some still tore it apart

I didn't like any of the 'lore' they introduced. I prefer to just think of the prequels as non-canon.

I loved The Phantom Menace as a kid (10yo when it came out) and saw it 4 times at the cinema. As I got older I liked it less but still liked it. The plinkett reviews convinced me it was shit and I never watched it again.
I just watched TPM for the first time in over half of my lifespan, and I must say it was pretty awesome. Some thing are weird and don't quite work but overall I really enjoyed the movie. Especially the whole Tatooine section, and I was even annoyed by the kid that much. So many of plinkett's criticisms are weak nitpicks that could apply to tons of great films. Other criticisms are simply wrong, such as his claim that Qui-Gon's bet with Whatto makes no sense. I understood it just fine and it was pretty clever actually.
Plinkett was right about some things of course, like R2D2 being given special care and commendation. But those things don't bring down the movie much at all.

Pic very related

Attached: mpc-hc64_2019-02-28_15-58-19.jpg (1839x783, 124K)

This describes it very well.

Pretty much exact same thing here. I rewatched it recently and had a great time. It’s a real comfy movie

I was a little kid then but I remember how offensive Nemoidians seemed to me, even back then, it was like a bad parody of Asian little, and I'm fucking white so I had no real reason to be fired up by this.

the bad dialogue and bad acting

Greatest Sith to ever live

This guy gets it

objectively
>Air date: March 16, 2003

Attached: dumb zoomer.gif (320x213, 261K)

sauce for the pic

The Phantom Menace, I took the screenshot

>I used to like a movie, until a random person on the internet told me it was bad, so I didn't like it anymore. Then I rewatched it years later and got horny for a barely legal jewish actress. Now I think I like it again.

yes but who

You think you owned him but you didn't

samefag

No it was not universally loved, user.

yeah. people especially hated the pod racing, found young anakin to be a little shit, and really hated jar jar.

>i say the phantom menace seeded more
>i say attack of the clones feeded mored

People did hate the kid and Jar Jar but the podracing was awesome, and pretty well liked.

The political dialogue was boring. The space politics in general was a snooze fest. Jar Jar and fart jokes. Terrible. Jar Jar stumbling around like a Marx brother.

Jar Jar and Anakin accidentally winning battles like Urkel "did I do that?"

No chemistry between anyone. Even Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor seemed disconnected from eachother and they were the strongest actors. They couldnt save the script.

No comic relief anywhere.

Natalie Portman was not yet a good actress and she was flat.

I say this and I went to see it 6 times in the theater when it came out.

>and she was flat
you do know this is the pedo board right?

The two celebrated areas of the film are the podracing and the final lightsaber battle. Everything outside of that wasnt that well received.

I think a lot of people have it a C just because it was star wars and couldn't bring themselves to give it a D.

>Phantom Menace is a great movie

This patrician gets it.

"besides this movie being dogshit, why do you guys think it's dogshit?"

elaborate

Attached: bugman.png (210x240, 6K)

>No comic relief anywhere.
Jar Jar was mostly comic relief. The comic relief was there even if it didn't work for you (or me, or most people).

>Besides some of the bad dialgoue and bad acting by Jake lloyd, why did people hate it?
bad story decisions, especially the one where a 9 year old kid singlehandedly wins the entire movie by accident.

No, I mean no effective comic relief where people laughed with it, not at it. With Jar Jar there was a lot of facepalming going on.

In the original star wars you had c3p0 and r2d2 playing off if eachother and it worked brilliantly. Episode 1 had none of that.

I was really into it until they landed on Tattooine. Then it loses all its steam & drifts along. But the Duel of the fates section is not only the best bit of the PM, it’s also the best bit of the entire trilogy & probably top 3 of the whole series.

He was one with the force and a highly skilled pilot. He was also a good friend.

Jar Jar wasn’t comic relief. It was buffoonery that was boring as fuck by the time they’d left Naboo.

I didn’t like it because of the scene where there was only 2 ships instead of 29 on screen for the blockade. That’s why everyone disliked it as a matter of fact. Also here’s a rape joke

Jar Jar is the phantom menace. He's pretending to be retarded so no one suspects him, but he's actually manipulating everyone. He's the one that disabled the hyperdrive on the ship and informed Palpatine where they were. He dileberately gets in Qui-Gon's way in his first scene so that he could pull the life debt trick on him so he could follow the Jedi around everywhere.
I'm 100% serious.

what are you, retarded?

nice reddit theory. Some people actually take that shit seriously. It's like how some people unironically started to think Batman vs Superman is a good movie.

There's plenty of evidence in the film and in promotional material before the film came out. Jar Jar was going to have a big reveal on par with "I am your father" but they scrapped the idea when no one like Jar Jar in Ep1. That's why you get this Dooku character who comes out of nowhere to replace him and has a ship that was designed for Jar Jar.
I understand people don't want it to be true, but it is.

evidence like what? What promotional material? It's a bunch of bullshit.