What made him dislike people?

What made him dislike people?

Attached: therewillbeblood-givemetheblood.jpg (846x357, 68K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7b6aS8bsILc&t=221s
youtube.com/watch?v=wAoqGjoZbm8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

There was a competition in him.

he abandoned his boy

Attached: AHHHHH.png (272x185, 69K)

>Daniel's mother was Jewish; her ancestors were immigrants to England in the late 19th century, from Latvia and Poland

You mean he didn't want anyone else to succeed?

Attached: There+Will+Be+Blood+12.jpg (720x423, 37K)

Unironically capitalism

He is like that so Yea Forums incels can use him as an insert character.

I guess it worked.

Back when it came out tv supported Only Country For Old Men and reddit supported There Will Be Blood. The reddit faggots are the only ones who make threads about it.

He was actually and unironically an intelligent atheist surrounded by dumb Christians, Eli being merely the most obvious example. This, during a period when it was not okay to openly wear one's fedora, as it were.

Also, he was distrustful of people because he correctly realized that they only wanted his money (after all, he has nothing else to offer them). And he was proven right in this distrust.

H.W. was the only represention of his capacity to love. In the first act, he really did love H.W. But the accident made it all go sideways.

This.

Attached: There+Will+Be+Blood+20.jpg (775x425, 53K)

is this the same HW that would one day ascend to the presidency?

this guy is discount hugo weaving

>after all, he has nothing else to offer them
yeah, because he's an asshole misanthrope, but the op question is asking why was he's a misanthrope.

he seemed to have had a normal upbringing, with that story about going to a dance or something, when he realizes his "brother" was a fraud because he doesn't know what he's talking about

He's like Kevin Chang.

Attached: TmSdS.jpg (635x600, 46K)

He literally just told you why. He's surrounded by people who weren't as individualistic as him. They wanted to be lead like sheep. He didn't like being the wolf among sheep. That's why he wanted to isolate himself.

That's that Michael Jordan, Ray Lewis, Tom Brady mentality right there.

He disliked people because he knew that anyone that tried to interact with him was only trying to benefit from him in a way.

People constantly tried to scam him, get money from him, get jobs from him etc. But no one actually cared about him as a human. He had no friends, family or a wife to genuinely love him just for his character and personality.

Even though he never harmed anyone in anyway people still have him shit. You can see that in the restaurant scene were the guys were making fun of his deaf son even though Daniel wasn’t in anyway disrespectful or rude to them.

When a man goes through all of this, he asks himself: “If people don’t give a fuck about me, why should I give a fuck about anyone?”

And that made him into a bitter old man that hated people.

Tom Brady told a school kid that when people hate you, you should love them back.

>the restaurant scene were the guys were making fun of his deaf son
i don't remember this

Tom Brady is loved by as many people as he has dollars in his net worth.
The average normie is miserable, listless, and holds the capacity for great rage when they realize how bad things really are and that they've been engineered to be thus.

Bad writing

youtube.com/watch?v=7b6aS8bsILc&t=221s

not making fun of his son tho, are they?

It's just really in his nature. He wanted money more then friends.

Unsure if he disliked women, but in the script -- or deleted scene, I forget -- he said his dick didn't work. So, he likely focused a lot of energy into business rather than chasing women.

That's not what happened. The guys were in a meeting with him earlier in the movie and they mentioned something about how he would be able to spend more time with his son and he flipped out on them and threatened to kill them. The restaurant was just him gloating in their faces because he made his pipeline work without them and essentially fucked them.

it had a tie with a previous scene in which they wanted to buy him out so he can take care of his deaf son in peace

the why doesn't really matter, he just didn't like people. he's a miserable greedy fuck that wants everyone around him to be more miserable than he is and/or under his thumb. he's just a prick.

Except Eli wasn't a believer either. How did you miss that? This was the central point of the movie. Every single person was greedy. Every single person was selfish. The difference between Plainview and everyone else was that Plainview was willing to crawl over a mountain, while everyone else was a coward who hid behind all sorts of formalities. Everyone looked down on Plainview because he was rough and unpolished. But he was the only one willing to admit what he was, and the only one willing to suffer. And this is why he gets so mad at H.W. at the end. It is not the competition, but the fact that H.W. hides behind his deafness. The movie makes much more sense when you compare it to The Master. It also works nicely almost as a statement about Daniel Day Lewis as well. Instead of doing the rounds and being respectable in the eyes of the Hollywood Celebrity system, he suffers for his performances. He does not get good reviews by plying the press and by barely concealed kindness. And so, Daniel Day Lewis does not have the same money as everyone else, the same likability, the same social currency, but he is the one with the awards. Don't think that's entirely what's meant by it, but I don't think that element might be part of why Lewis and Anderson found the story interesting.

The answer is people

Attached: 1524422042528.gif (775x509, 1M)

people

Tom Brady puts on a likeable face for the public, like Jordan did when he was playing. It's good for marketing. In order to have sustained success like them you have to be ruthless and bust heads constantly. Jordan emotionally destroyed some people permanently, and there's already some accounts of Tom being a real hardass

That makes perfect sense. He doesn't look like his dick wouldn't work though.

Projection.

daniel sacrificed his back to find oil and get rich. meanwhile eli literally denied his faith for 10K. besides, it seems daniel respected elis twin brother who got into oil business. daniel just hated fakes.

This

Real recognize real.

Attached: 5-Keys-to-Acquiring-Wealth-From-One-of-the-Richest-Families-in-History.jpg (620x380, 226K)

based Yea Forums can't stop sucking Jewish cock

He was never shown respect or acknowledgement by his parents growing up, and because he was probably the quiet sort most people assumed he was invalid or an idiot. When all his hard work finally paid off, he was finally able to put people who would try to bamboozle him or otherwise disrespect him over a fucking barrel. Even though he won the game, life still twisted him, and you could say this was a victory of his detractors (imagined or otherwise) over him, but what of it? They're either dead or impotent against the empire he built.

this was a top quality post and I enjoyed reading it.

Guy you replied to, I did think about the sincereity (or lack thereof) of Eli's faith around the time of writing the post. I don't think that Eli being a huckster and a good actor precludes the possibility of the sincerity of his religion, which I incline to take at face-value. I think that the more important thing about the Eli character is that he is straight-up crazy with a hint of repressed homosexuality right at the very end, especially since he is also Paul, and no, this opinion doesn't invalidate the other things I'd written earlier, nor does it matter what the creatives intended: The Author Is Dead. The problem of confused male familial identity is central to the film, and if one chooses to accept the above fringe theory, the Paul/Eli character can be read as another interesting iteration of this.

If you like most people you're probably not very smart.

I mean, have you met other people? They're the worst.

You idiots say that about every character that isn't a cuck.

>Tom Brady
Gay incest pedo faggot piece of shit

Kill yourself reddit nigger

I bet you've done so much with your life, huh?

Attached: 1547342591547s.jpg (124x121, 3K)

"Yes."

Attached: prescottwhissonhw.jpg (520x429, 45K)

what a hardass
youtube.com/watch?v=wAoqGjoZbm8

Damn, what a legend.

Attached: 5a4fa333c32ae63f018b4abb-750-563.jpg (750x563, 57K)

The real question is how could Eli not know where his brother was 20 years later? Eli lived in that city for presumably years, how could he not have known those lands were bought and maintained by his own brother Paul?