Universal has tried to jumpstart the Dark Universe 4 times in the last 20 years

>Universal has tried to jumpstart the Dark Universe 4 times in the last 20 years
>every attempt has failed
Why tho? Do new audiences just not like gothic horror?

Attached: 54260B73-096B-49A7-BA00-86AA4995AD66.jpg (1200x800, 140K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jewel_of_Seven_Stars#Critical_reception
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

it's a shame because there was a certain niche for movies like van helsing or the mummy - spectacular action packed horror/fantasy adventure flicks

now we will probably get more of these generic cheap horrors but whatever... universal was the only studio able to afford 100M budgets for horror films

i've been really looking forward to this since 2004 van helsing.

Cause those movies are shit. Get some interesting directors in there and then get out of their way.

I don't really think subject matter is the issue. The movies they make fucking suck so hard.

NPCs will watch Marvel for their CU fix. They should honestly just make movies for China at this point.

I feel stories like Dracula and Frankenstein don’t work if they’re set in the modern day. I just want to see a good Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde set in Victorian London.

The movies were just shit, it's as simple as that. If they'd been good they could have had a streak like Marvel did.

>Marvel releases random CGI heavy superhero flick
All good.
>Universal releases Mummy which is pretty much like this but with less CGI
Reeeeee.

I liked the mummy a lot. It had that "nolanesqe" style with real stunts and locations but humor sucked, agree.

They didn't make gothic horror, they made superhero movies with vague horror aesthetics. If I'm watching a mummy movie, I want to see a disgusting grotesque mummy shuffle around an Egyptian tomb and rip people's fucking hearts out for revenge against an ancient curse, not some not some of-13 cutie pie mummy fly to London to do stunts and raise a cgi army because she wants to suck a guy's dick

Gothic mummy horrors are about mummy in London or something like that. Whole gothic horror is kinda related to victorian-era novels and it's usually about XYZ monster coming to city or town. This is probably the only thing Mummy 2017 got right.

Just get the guy who did penny dreadful

Or just watch Penny Dreadful

They do if you do it properly. People love Gothic stuff and classic aesthetics, but they don't want to see the old monsters wasted on CGI greenscreen rallies. Also, you don't cast ancient cunts in the back nine of their earning lives if you're trying to start a Marvel-level juggernaut. In that publicity photoshoot they look like her gay uncles.

THIS

Gothic horror is all about fucking supernatural creatures. It's often romance-themed too. Horror is very subtle and not really that gore. Modern audience doesn't care (or know) about these anymore.

They need to take the Hammer approach, but in 21st century terms. Increase the sex, make the gore more realistic by current standards, and the audiences will come running.

>they made superhero movies with vague horror aesthetics
because these monsters were nearly same thing back then. they were evil and less quippy superheroes. they had powers or abilities just like heroes.

Attached: superhero.png (728x1729, 770K)

No, they weren't remotely the same thing. Universal doesn't do it because it's a good idea, they do it because they have no real interest in the classic monsters other than the dream of a Marvel-tier big score.

>The Monster Mash

No Eva no sale

>Universal doesn't do it because it's a good idea
They started it in 2004 with Van Helsing. It was basically Avengers but with monsters. 2004 so few years before MCU became a thing.

gore is horrifying. it's one of the most horrifying things, besides romance

I want to wrestle Ahmanet!!!!!

You say this but how much did Fraser's Mummy make if you account for inflation?

>Why tho?
Because the launch title, The Mummy, was extremely flawed. Whoever approved that script should be banned from the planet immediately. Starting with Tom Cruise being some sort of mummy-successor instead of being a more grounded character like a Van Helsing descendant or something, that after getting revived by Mummy-chan, he becomes immune to stuff like demonic/ghostly possession, vampire/werewolf infection, etc.
They work when they are written properly. A modern day Dracula where the character has been manipulating banking and the stock market behind shell corporations for hundreds of years would work, specially if they become the money for the team to assemble.
Penny Dreadful was only decent in S1, afterwards is just absolute faggotry, no pun intended.

Gothic horror doesn't really use a lot of gore. Many deaths in various gothic horrors are mysterious but not really gruesome. Death of terror or just being killed by some unknown force is a common trope there.

Yeah, I said "no", not "did", and Spider-Man was already a thing then.

Imagine her hitting you with a testicular claw haha

>A modern day Dracula where the character has been manipulating banking and the stock market
No, they did that already with The Satanic Rites of Dracula, and it was an appalling waste of Drac. What we need is an exact remake of the Lugosi original, but with gore and bare tits.

Yeah, but in reality, gore and Gothic have gone together fine since the late 50s.

>testicular claw
Stop legimitizing the "Foxcatcher Five"!

Not possible unless it's in a cartoon, this is because all the horror icons are hokey as shit, no one can take them seriously. On top of that horror as a genre barely has a pulse, 999% of it is absolute shit.

You really can't do this live action, how many times are you gonna have a chase scene in a movie, how many times are you gonna try and sneak away in a movie, it's so tired and so played out there's nothing new to see.

However, there is one way to fix it, make the heroes the antagonist, make the monsters the protagonists, you want a horror universe make the monsters the heroes. Watch from their perspective as the hunt down the heroes, how they come together to form an alliance to stop themselves from being obliterated, etc.

>Not possible unless it's in a cartoon, this is because all the horror icons are hokey as shit, no one can take them seriously.
Nope.

Bram Stoker wrote Dracula in 1897 and it was a present day for the author. He didn't set it in 1600s. Mummy can work anytime. There are still unknown tombs to be found.

Attached: tomb.png (672x893, 761K)

Monster as protagonist is seriously overplayed

People don't even watch high fantasy anymore. The main problem is that niggers don't have a place in these films, so they can't make em.

they're all joke characters

But then how would you incorporate it into a "cinematic universe"? Dracula by himself isn't enough to oppose a team of anything unless he's (non-netflx garbage) Castlevania-tier of power.
>but with gore and bare tits
A shared universe can't be anything above PG-13 because of marketing, it just won't happen. Specially nowadays with feminazis and fags being driving forces.

Dracula's set about ten years before we're reading it, I thought?

I hope they never figure out how to perfectly depict Junji Ito's work. I'll never sleep again

Same way they always did it. There is no way to make a team-building "universe" out of these monsters, that's what I've been saying. How you make a real cinematic universe is by having Dracula, Frankenstein's monster and the Wolf Man living in the same reality. Try watching the movies, dude.

Maybe universe where some monsters meet each other but they never go for a full-team assembly? I think original Universal Monsters were like this.

Only because the movies they're in are old, and people have ignorant attitudes to old movies. I'm not suggesting a pastiche approach, but just do it with total seriousness and film flair.

no that was the cereal

literally none of the movies i can even remember were actual fuckinh horror movies, they were like m rated teenage action adventure movies. If they actually made them R rated horror movies it would have succeeded tremendously. They watered down the tone of the movies to try and make it more appealing to a wider audience yet less people watched them if they had just appealed to an adult audience

They have all the monsters in House of Frankenstein, House of Dracula and Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein. The dynamic between Drac, Frankie and the Wolf Man is never one of equality, as it couldn't be - the Wolf Man is the tragic hero, Drac an addicted antihero, and Frankie just a big lug.

>If they actually made them R rated horror movies it would have succeeded tremendously. They watered down the tone of the movies to try and make it more appealing to a wider audience yet less people watched them if they had just appealed to an adult audience
Exactly.

If there is any shared world where forced diversity can be properly and non-obnoxiously applied is in a monster cinematic universe because there is no restriction of mythological beings in literally everywhere in the world. You need a black team member? Make Mokele-mbembe a shapeshifter, and you get a cryptid dino two-for-one combo. You need to shill a tranny? Untomb aphroditus.

Hilariously timed spelling suggestion in pic related.

Attached: ss+(2019-02-27+at+10.59.56).png (538x399, 34K)

it's not because they're old it's because they're in everything, silly smiling frankenstein at the halloween store, dracula cereal, ghost blow job, etc, etc, they're just jokes in the public eye no one takes them seriously.

I mean what are you gonna do, reintroduce all the magical rules applied to Dracula, then The Mummy come along and is somehow slower and less threatening than a zombie, creature from the black lagoon can't leave his environment, wolf man doesn't go to high school, c'mon man you literally have to undo 60 years of character assassination on these guys.

Stop being retarded, this is a thread about the cinematic universe where they form teams. If all you can say it's "it can't work" then just abandon thread.
They want to tap into alliances or groups, they don't want rehash.
>they're just jokes in the public eye no one takes them seriously
Good point, but that on its own would serve for motivation.

>ghost blow job
That isn't as omnipresent a trope as you think, and since when is "ghost" one of the Universal monsters?

They were already jokes by 1948, yet Hammer revived them in the late 50s for a box-office reign that not even The Exorcist could fully topple. Seriously, the classic monsters work if you don't waste them.

>Stop being retarded, this is a thread about the cinematic universe where they form teams. If all you can say it's "it can't work" then just abandon thread.
"Universe" has never, and will never, exclusively imply Marvel-aping. The Universal monsters' universe was established seventy years ago. Team-building is irrelevant to it. This is a thread about making the monsters work, not about copying Marvel, which you'll notice isn't mentioned in the OP.

swap out ghost for invisible man, but the real problem is these guys need slow methodical movies and slow movies don't get made these days.

Yeah, once again your answer is "there's no way to copy every other thing out there with them". I know. That's why it's worth doing.

>there's no way to copy every other thing out there with them

que?

Same. And then I lose and she pins me. I'm helpless and she's very horny after all these years in coffin. God knows what she will do to me...

Attached: Ahmanet_1.jpg (940x545, 51K)

>swap out ghost for invisible man,
Oh yeah, that well-known trope where the Invisible Man sucks dudes off, THAT old warhorse!

yeah, in the bathroom at the long beach airport every other Tuesday

You're saying "they would need films that do things differently from the current cliches, so no dice". That's called a USP, it's not a valid reason not to do something.

I said it needs to be slow and methodical which no one does anymore

Closing your eyes during it doesn't make the guy invisible.

it's a little thing called movie magic my friend

>no one does anymore
What did I just say? "Differently from the current cliches", yes. And horror movies still have slow build-ups all the time. You're starting from the idea that this wouldn't be horror, but action-adventure. Do them as horror, and it would work.

only indie films do slow horror and it's fucking boring because they're shit indie films

>downlow magic
ftfy

But it is indeed about copying the formula. It's literally Universal's sole goal. In today's time, nothing else will work.
Invisible man is hilariously easy to buff-up into something that isn't useless. Just make his ability to be light refraction itself rather than just be invisible, then he can use his ability to create mirages, hide other people, etc.

Your objections are all just "it isn't being done in the way you suggest at present, so it's impossible". Universal aren't indie.

Invisible Man was a fucking psycho. It's not a horror it's a fucking psycho spree.

>Universal aren't indie

they might as well be, they haven't put out a good movie in 10 years.

>In today's time, nothing else will work.
We already know that Marvel-aping won't work, though. And we also know that serious horror movies still earn.

>666
I want to disagree, but I can't argue vs. horror trips.

Sounds like the Oldman drac to me

>Invisible man is hilariously easy to buff-up into something that isn't useless.
All attempts to make the Universal monsters into fucking superheroes are useless. The Invisible Man, as originally conceived, isn't useless, and the way that concept was adapted to different characters over the course of Universal's original Invisible Man cycle indicates the possibilities. How do different people deal with invisibility?, etc.

>make shitty movies
>wtf why people dont like?

Yeah, that but without the ripped-off arty techniques, the plot borrowed from the Mummy, or the wacky hairpiece for old Drac.

>the plot borrowed from the Mummy
i always thought that mummy borrows plot from dracula instead

No, the "seeking a reincarnation of his dead love" thing is entirely The Mummy, it has no basis in Stoker's book.

old style Horror wasnt about jump scares and in your face over the top CGI garbage it was about fear of the unknown, Dread, using the readers imagination now its just about some poorly CGIed demon popping up to rip someones head off. Wow so scary.

ok was wrong then, i though mummy even reused dracula's music from 1931.
btw who was the author of the mummy?

They should have made Mummy 4 with Brendan Fraser and incorporated the other monsters into that universe.

The Mummy did repeat Dracula's use of Swan Lake, but the Browning Dracula doesn't do the "dead lover" angle. It was a Universal original, unlike the other three first-generation Universal monsters.

This would actually work.

They need to update the monsters themselves. A thousand year old vampire living in a castle in Hungary isn't spoopy to normies anymore. Neither is a 4 thousand year old egyptian CGI monstrosity.

>Dracula
>A hyper-rich, mysterious Hollywood executive.
>He quenches his thirst for blood by making backroom deals with up-and-coming actresses for good roles in his blockbuster hits.

>Dr. Jekyll
>A prodigy in the field of medicine science, specializing in bleeding edge gene editing and therapy.
>He believes he's stumbled upon the secret to controlling, or outright eliminating, aggressive behavior in humans. In his hubris, he volunteers himself to be the first guinea pig.

>The Creature from Black Lagoon
>A team of humanitarians is deep in the Amazon, bringing aid to some tribe. The tribals are spooked because one of their members went missing. He was last seen heading in the direction of a lake that the tribe fears greatly.

>Van Helsing
>A MAGA country conspiracy theorist, who sees lies and deception everywhere he looks. One day he's awakened to the existence of monsters when his family is attacked by a ___.
>Helsing swears vengeance on all monsters for the deaths of his family

>Frankenstein
honestly just don't do this one. He's too omnipresent, too watered-down in the eyes of normies, and he's had like 20 movies just this century. If you're gonna do him, do him last.

>The Mummy
Similar to Frankenstein, though the issue isn't nearly as bad. I was thinking of taking this one in the direction of the above characters and modernizing, but this could very easily start some shit about racism if you don't walk a tightrope. The last Mummy movie stirred up discussion about the original concept being a bit racist already, so this one ought to be handled carefully and next-to-last.

I don't think there's a mummy novel. "She" by H.R. Haggard is the closest one. It's about an ancient queen looking for her resurrected lover. Hollywood gender-swaped it in 1932 movie.

>>The Mummy
>Similar to Frankenstein, though the issue isn't nearly as bad. I was thinking of taking this one in the direction of the above characters and modernizing, but this could very easily start some shit about racism if you don't walk a tightrope. The last Mummy movie stirred up discussion about the original concept being a bit racist already, so this one ought to be handled carefully and next-to-last.
Just adapt "She" to a proper movie.

Attached: she.jpg (1000x1326, 220K)

>>A hyper-rich, mysterious Hollywood executive.
Oh fuck no.

The Mummy could be done as an exact remake of 1932's, just have a black guy play Ardath Bey/Imhotep. Have a torrid flashback of them fucking, and it plays to all the KANGZ/Blacked/white pussy reparations fantasies anyone could want.

Stoker did one which has a hot incest angle, Mike Newell (!) made a movie of it in 1982, The Awakening, with Charlton Heston. You could make it hotter now.

I didn't know about this. So he basically created Dracula and Mummy, nice.

The only fan of "She" signing in.

Jewel of Seven Stars?

Attached: The-Jewel-of-Seven-Stars-by-Bram-Stoker-Egyptology-Mummy-Curse-1.jpg (383x664, 114K)

He created "a" Mummy. A cute grill mummy, who possesses the hero's nubile daughter.

Honestly, it could be good my guy. Make him the secret King of Hollywood, the heads of major studios, agencies, etc. are familiars under his direct control. The entire system does his bidding. Everyone already thinks all those guys are pure evil anyway, it could be cathartic for the audience in a way. Make one of the human characters a beautiful up-and-comer who he wants to make his personal pet.

Yeah.

That would be fucking toilet water and you know it.

Shit I got the year wrong, it was 1980. Forgive me, bros

Wait, so mummy novel was about an egyptian chick.. and nobody ever mentioned it for years? Hollywood forced that image of zombie-like guy instead. No wonder they railed that latest one. Literally nobody expected a female mummy because of that stereotype.

>hot incest angle
pls explain more

Sure it's a little silly, but playing on the "fears" people have about Hollywood could offer a certain creepiness factor. I'm not in love with the idea, I shit it out in 5 minutes, but it's something different.

>perfectly cast strange egyptian princess
>waste that character so much
How the fuck? Seriously, Sofia deserves another chance. In a proper horror this time.

Do you mind spoilers?

They didn't force the image, stories of mummy curses made mummies a widespread horror idea, it was just how to make a monster out of them. Stoker's Mummy story is very psychological/spiritual. They weren't adapting his book, they got staff writers to come up with an original. There's a female Mummy in one of the last Universal Mummy films, can't recall the title right now. Blood from the Mummy's Tomb was the first adaptation of the Stoker novel, in 1971. Featuring Valerie Leon's magnificent underboobs.

More explicit in The Awakening movie than in the novel, but an Egyptologist is obsessed by the mummy of a powerful and evil queen... who then possesses his daughter.

Probably the wrong kind of creepy. The "woke" deeply disliked The Neon Demon for grafting cannibal witches onto a #metoo scenario.

thanks, will check both the novel and movie adaptation out.

I remember that novel. An user suggested it in one of Mummy 2017 threads, perhaps that was you? However, there are two versions. The original from 1900s and later ones. What's the difference between them?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jewel_of_Seven_Stars#Critical_reception

See "1912 edition" and ignore the fact that the article seems to have been written by college students who think 1912 was medieval times.

Don't think that was me, don't recall being on threads about the 2017 movie, but might have been.

There are two movies, plus a third that's apparently unrelated shit, from the 90s.

Oh, and no problem.

The Conjuring franchise proves a horrorverse can succeed. The problem with the Universal movies is that they aren't horror. Horror makes money. Mediocre fantasy/adventure doesn't.

You're likely right. Though with Neon Demon it was more a NWR masturbatory tool than an attempt to tell a tight and compelling story. A similar concept may have been able to be molded into something the average person could accept.

>Valerie Leon's magnificent underboobs.

Attached: mummy.jpg (672x960, 147K)

Could be, but since the 90s movies that update horror mythos always seem to get a response of "why is this even an horror film". Wolf with Jack Nicholson, for instance.

based

OK, thanks anyway. I think it was the original one. I remember everyone died in that one. I loved attention to details. Stoker described all that egyptian stuff in every detail. Any more novels like this?

I don't know enough about the mummy subgenre, sorry.

They havent made a single gothic horror in the last 20.years

Iras: a Mystery - Theo Douglas/H.D. Everett

I must be blocking all the others out, because I can't remember other updates in the same vein as Wolf. Unless stuff like Frasier's The Mummy, or Interview with a Vampire, count. They're still period pieces, and don't even really attempt to be horror either. Not saying you're wrong but I must have forgotten about them.

I do find mutilation (gore) much scarier to think about and not want to happen to me, than a dracula who could never exist. You hear about that mid-western family in the 1800s? They'd invite in strangers for dinner and bash them over the head when they weren't looking and cut up their bodies and put them in the big grave like the rest

>than a dracula who could never exist
Hence gothic horror. Gothic horror involves aura of mysticism and supernatural stuff.

She by Henry Rider Haggard. Titular character is basically a living mummy.

phantom of the opera is my favorite dark universe character

Attached: file.png (600x338, 294K)

I think they could easily do it.

lol