Pour one out for all the failed Oscarbait of 2018

Pour one out for all the failed Oscarbait of 2018.

Attached: welcome_to_marwen.jpg (477x755, 81K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ew.com/oscars/2019-oscar-predictions/
esquire.com/uk/culture/film/a22557589/oscar-2019-prediction-winners/
youtube.com/watch?v=W6dy7xQ8NeE
historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/welcome-to-marwen/
youtube.com/watch?v=GXEKb7-Bkwg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Attached: mule.jpg (509x755, 54K)

Attached: beautiful_boy.jpg (510x755, 85K)

Thank fuck this film was ignored everywhere. Fuck it and fuck the guy it was based on.

Attached: mary_queen_of_scots_ver3.jpg (511x755, 87K)

Attached: suspiria_ver24.jpg (508x755, 80K)

Attached: wildlife.jpg (510x755, 91K)

Attached: on_the_basis_of_sex.jpg (529x755, 61K)

Attached: widows.jpg (477x755, 68K)

Attached: front_runner_ver2.jpg (503x755, 124K)

Poor Steve.
He tried so hard, and got so far....

Still wondering why they dropped the "col" from Marwencol...

He was in Vice so at least one movie he was in got nominated

>every movie that isn’t capeshit is failed oscar bait

This one was actually good though. Great acting all around, but I guess it didnt fit the political climate of Hollywood.

I unironically think this was amazing

I liked this
This was good until the twist. Unfortunate because the first act was so great.

Classic.

Attached: 1378880976025.jpg (1538x1040, 219K)

This had blacks and asians in 1500s england and it still didn't even get any nominations.

This was not Oscar bait. I wanted to see this only for Debicki.

Too white.
Also villifies a poor housewife.

oh fuck off, suspiria was everything but oscar bait

title is gay enough as it is without being even longer

everyone was hyping it up for awards

>black director
>black woman lead, other leads were women

>This was good until the twist. Unfortunate because the first act was so great.
how can someone be this wrong
oh.... right...
reddit

Attached: boy_erased_ver2_xlg.jpg (1012x1500, 396K)

this 100%

why is he working so hard for an oscar?

Better luck for the next time Timmy

Attached: 68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f (268x179, 592K)

nothing sadder than failed oscarbait

This was an amazing movie

considering capeshit was literally nominated for best picture this year I'd say thats fair

You sound retarded literally nobody was hyping this as an actual Oscar contender

here is an adult drama without any superheroes and it's not oscarbait.

oscarbait has a certain tone

Attached: Bad_Times_at_the_El_Royale.png (220x326, 123K)

ew.com/oscars/2019-oscar-predictions/
esquire.com/uk/culture/film/a22557589/oscar-2019-prediction-winners/

i bet neeson did what he did on purpose to deny oscars to all those black actors

The Chloe Moretz version of this movie as well.

What did he do?

Solid movie. Very enjoyable. A Tarantino film made by some other dude not called Tarantino.

Did I miss something?
Why wasn't it stop motion

youtube.com/watch?v=W6dy7xQ8NeE
How far could you get? I made it to 0:48

Apparently the homo this movie was based on was into getting beat up. There is a whole homo sub culture of antagonizing strangers for the sexual fetish of physical assaults apparently

wow wow easy tiger, paul dano is a classic, don't you ever call him oscarbait

reddit

Sully was the only Oscar bait Clint has ever attempted, Mule came from his soul

Many actors who got famous with comedy feel inferior to dramatic actors and want the validation an Oscar would bring.

she was really good

He wants to be taken seriously so bad.

her tits were amazing

deluded

Really? What about Invictus? J.Edgar? Clint is just begging for Oscars now.

Told a story about how he actively went out to find a nigger to kill after a nigger raped his friend.

based

fuck jannies as well

Is this the end of his attempt to transition from comedy actor to Oscar winner?

I don't think anyone even paid attention to this movie. Which is a shame, I'd have loved to see a renewed interest in Laurel and Hardy.

Attached: posters_1_1500.jpg (1500x2250, 1.05M)

This is already out?
I only heard about them working on it a few months ago

The film was misrepresenting the facts, a lot, to make the guy look like less of a retard and a degenerate.

>historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/welcome-to-marwen/

>Were the men who beat Mark Hogancamp neo-Nazis?
No. One of the real-life attackers, a 16-year-old nicknamed "Black Freddy," wasn't even white.In real life, two of the five attackers were still teenagers.
>Had Mark Hogancamp really struggled with alcoholism and homelessness prior to the attack?
Yes, but his extensive real-life battle with alcoholism is downplayed in the movie.
>Did the attack lead to the breakdown of Mark Hogancamp's marriage?
No. No. In researching the Welcome to Marwen true story, we learned that Hogancamp did have an ex-wife, but they got divorced long before the attack. She had left him because of his heavy drinking.

TLDR: pervert alcoholic goes to a bar and tries to chat up some teenagers by saying he likes to dress like a little girl. Gets his ass beat. Now he's a hero somehow.

Oh shit, I've been meaning to see that, but I didn't know it was out.

>giantess
>sex in the title
Was really disappointed by this, don’t know what I was expecting honestly from Hollywood anymore

Dad brought my mum to see this and he loved it. He's a huge fan though.

the spike lee one cuz it got BTFO'd by green book

This shit right here. The sole reason it was made.

>blacks and asians in 1500s
Hollywood has gone too far now.

million dollar baby was oscarbait you fucking freak

Can't believe no one mentioned this yet.

Attached: First Man.jpg (1920x2560, 344K)

this one is kind of different since it actually won an oscar. It's one of those weird "this film actually deserved it but we need a special quota to fill so here's an award".

can't snooze the goose

why do comedians need to be drama actors and drama actors need to do comedy?

Attached: banana_slug_mascot_1.jpg (200x297, 70K)

The Frat Pack is dead, see Zoolander 2 and Holmies. Steve Carrell was accepted as a serious actor, unlike Will Ferrell and Ben Stiller, but he needs an Oscar to solidify his position.

youtube.com/watch?v=GXEKb7-Bkwg

This was kino. The soundtrack alone makes it watchable.

>dishonest shit by chazelle again
cant believe you're still falling for such trash you goslingfag

True, but best picture is obviously where it was aiming and didn't even get nominated. It was only nominated in four technical categories.

Attached: Destroyer-poster.jpg (1000x1481, 1.63M)

>dishonest
back to reeeddit

I know this won best supporting actress but it didn't get any other big noms, it seems like every time a black director has a successful or award winning film their follow ups are DOA.

Attached: BealeSt-1200x1200.jpg (1000x1000, 102K)

Maybe he'll get nominated for the King Henry film.

But reddit loves dishonest shit with ryan gosling thats why the crossposters meme about him here constantly

you dumb npc retard, try again and attempt to actually have film taste and not eat up shit jewish directors movies

yeah this was nice

he dindu nuffin the movie

I want her to jerk me off with those gloves on.

>reeeddit seething
you need to go back

Based

>no retort at all
I know im 100% right you don't need to tell me a damn thing retard

Another good example

Attached: MV5BZGY3ZWMyYjEtMDMzYi00NDQyLWE1MWEtMDNmMjRlOGVkNDc3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODAzODU1NDQ@__V1_.jpg (1440x2131, 1.93M)

lmao

:DDD

This is how feel about my career, the movie.
The movie was for his kids, not awards.

He and hus carried the movie, the script still tanked it.

What's up with this new crop of young actors who make nothing but shitty Oscar bait that no one watches? Where's the next Leo?

Ben is BLACKED

this one had some oscar buzz until a few months ago

Attached: d2b3f85778cfbf00f36babb1dc7340be.jpg (810x1200, 215K)

>Apparently ...apparently
Colour me sceptical, user

>arthouse horror
>oscar bait
Pick one, you fucking retard. I guarantee that the makers of Suspiria never had the Oscars in mind. It's common knowledge that the academy hates horror and isn't fond of arthouse cinema.

shit he returned to acting?

>So if it's not capeshit, it's oscar b8
Yea Forums shows its true colors

Attached: 1537656034600.png (700x518, 376K)

Eh, that was just a typical Disney flick. Oscar bait flicks are specifically made to win Oscars and I doubt Disney gave a shit about Mary Poppins winning anything. They just wanted it to make a shitload of money at the box office.

>That picture order
>That name order
This is the final boss for movie poster autists.

>Adult drama
Commit suicide

Attached: THUG.png (1000x1481, 336K)

it got one but you're still right

Show a single fucking movie in this thread that isn't Oscar bait. I'll name 5 that haven't been mentioned:
>The favorite
>Annihilation
>Wes Anderson dog movie
>Mission impossible 6
>Old man and the gun

Not capeshit
Not oscarbait

Didn't it get makeup or costumes?

that's tweetbait

I didn't get this movie. Am I dumb?

Wildlife. Tell me why you think it was.

Burning

I missed it being posted itt but it's not oscarbait. I almost listed it.

>the favourite
>not as much oscar b8 as mary queen of scots
sure sure

Attached: 1526077787583.jpg (333x413, 25K)

Damn you, Queen
It's 1975 all over again!

Attached: laurel-and-hardy-car.jpg (500x364, 67K)

Attached: Eleanor Tomlinson did it for free.jpg (1800x1332, 305K)

The favorite is a dark comedy bade by an up and coming auteur filmmaker who has been making successively popular movies year after year.
Mary queen of scots is a drama made by a literal who capitalizing on the popularity of period pieces and star actresses.

>The favorite is a dark comedy bade by an up and coming auteur
fuck you sound like a shill critic

So that's your definition of oscar b8?

Attached: 1494701565743.png (515x800, 100K)

That was more about indoctrinating teenagers than winning Oscars. The funny thing is even though the media relentlessly shilled for it it flopped hard. So it cost the studio money, didn't indoctrinate anyone, and didn't get even one academy award nomination. That's some very impressive failure.

>Made by a literal who director (studio production)
>Capitalizing on a political issue and/or utilizing a tired Hollywood formula

Underrated post.

>Now he's a hero somehow.
to be fair, the acclaimed documentary that inspired Zemeckis doesn't paint him as a hero at all

>Bad Times at the El Royale
>adult drama
top lel

You need to watch the film to really see how ridiculous Steve is being outacted by other casts, especially Maura

That would be the Outlaw King of 2019. Netflix is definitely going all out pushing for Scorsese Irishman

never heard about any of these movies, when where they released?

i just realized its spells T H U G. this movie has been out for like a year and i didnt notice that. i literally thought the "U" was to appeal to blacks and trashy whites

this was garbage

you are slow

It's kind of amazing that an almost 90 year old dude can still regularly direct big Hollywood films with a general consistency of quality. What a legend.

The acronym is from 2pac. The Hate U Give Little Infants Fucks Everybody

Was Bill any good in this?

Attached: Bill-Burr-40027.jpg (800x1000, 189K)

Indid he was, it's not as if he has some mayor time but what he had was OK.

I thought it was called Hotel Artemis

It's really too bad though because both are great in their dramatic roles. Ferrell much more surprisingly considering his typical role while Stiller has a few of those Steve Martin-esque films already.

Never heard of it was it any good?

That movie ripped off John Wick more then anything else.

Those last 20 minutes alone are the most anti-Oscar bait thing going

no idea what happened here, this was an early favourite for all the major categories

I really enjoyed this. Speaking of actually, Ben Is Back is also pure failed oscar bait and just a much worse version of this

Attached: 220px-Stan_&_Ollie.png (220x326, 39K)

This flick was total shit, and way too fucking long.

Nah, Jake does one or two of these films every year. And Dano was clearly very inspired by PTA so I imagine he wasn't trying for any of the major awards particularly hard

This was just the 2018 version of that Suffragettes failed oscarbait from last year or the year before
Just because it's Steve McQueen, doesn't mean it's oscarbait
This was actually much better than the majority of films nominated

Ah shit, really? Was thinking about watching it, looked like fun from the trailers and I like Don Draper

Lol, I forgot they even made this shit.

>failed Oscarbait

That's a fucking compliment anymore, m8.

Attached: 1362103888227.jpg (542x493, 189K)

user not to spoil things but He dies like a third way into the movie lol

>And Dano was clearly very inspired by PTA so I imagine he wasn't trying for any of the major awards particularly hard
contradictory much?

Beautiful Boy was better. The problem with this film was that the story was so pussified. He quits before anything particularly bad happens to him, while the kids around him are implied to be going through literal hell, and then complains about how his dad never understood how bad everything was.
Basically the film should have been about any of the kids except the one it was about (yes I know it was based on a true story, doesn't change that his story was kind of bland)
Really great performances though

>this film actually deserved it but we need a special quota to fill so here's an award
Lol. How fucking triggered are you? First Man was above average but let's not pretend it was some flawless work of art

I enjoyed this. If Outlaw King was "we want the Game of Thrones audience", then this film was "we want the True Detective audience"
Much better than Moonlight but nothing particularly special

i didn't even know this was out

It's just an average biopic. They fucked up by not going deeper into Colette's life though.

pirate it if you want, but it really drags after the first third of the film.

PTA hasn't tried for any of the major awards since There Will Be Blood was snubbed. He's one of the most celebrated American filmmakers of all time. I'm pretty sure he doesn't give a shit about the oscars.
Especially consider that he's close friends with Joaquim Phoenix who publicly stated how much he detests them

Attached: 175149C8-FD96-4513-AE3E-8DE61C0EEAA1.jpg (720x405, 84K)

Jesus, all these nig/fag/wimen movies. And they didn't even manage to get into contention because of BP/BR.

don't mind me, just the best western in a decade coming through

Attached: the sister brothers.jpg (185x278, 12K)

don't act like the master wasn't full of "look mommy I'm acting" scenes like the don't blink test
phantom thread was also built from the ground up to be a "prestige picture" for awards shows

>having an emotional performance means you're trying to win an oscar
Be honest, do you have an extra chromosome?
Jokes aside, you clearly know nothing about the process

cringe at both u cucks

punished chazelle, what's the next step of his master plan?

what's impressive is how it won so many awards in france and got absolutely nothing in the US
>checks wiki
>funded by big french producers
oh well that answers that

Just checked Jason Reitman's imdb, seems the majority of his films are now failed oscar bait

This movie paved the way and set the precedent for a ChrisChan movie

I liked it

How do you avoid writing oscar bait?

And what would an oscar bait film poster look like for the plane scene/TDKR?

Oscar bait is more of a directorial problem than a writing problem.

This. If someone cares about the Oscars they are a fucking pleb and have been filtered appropriately.

Attached: 1550030998231.jpg (542x467, 104K)

absolutely robbed for best original song. this movie was in no fucking way oscarbait though

>Oscars

Attached: 1535415144227.png (800x600, 729K)

>blacks in a medieval/renaissance english parliament/court
>potato nigger playing a Scot
lel

>

Attached: 81BC85E3-513D-4D09-8D60-CD77A9E8924E.jpg (750x1062, 369K)

Speaking of best original song I'm still mad the MLP movie got snubbed, awful film but the villians song was great and deserved a nomination.

this film was kino

Great movie. it's about frens.

This isn't Oscar bait, just another solid Clint movie.

This, I would never want to watch another movie like Mary Queen of Scots but I'm looking forward to watching The Favourite.

This was really good

I heard one ad for this on the radio and it's only because it was playing in a local arthouse theater. I assumed it was a movie from 2017 I missed somehow, but no, it's like they deliberately didn't promote the fucking thing at all.

Not sure if zoomer-bait can be oscar-bait. But it'll happen.

I thought this was a netflix movie. You mean it was actually in theaters?

Attached: 1549927840625.jpg (531x405, 35K)

This was good

looks kino. this is the first i've heard of it and i can't find it in any theaters near me

>He's never noticed how nearly all oh so serious movies with top actORs come out just before or just after christmas, COINCIDENTALLY when the oscars are being decided.
Come on, user.

>The unforgettable true story
?

Nothing funnier than failed oscarbait.

This thread is filled to the fucking BRIM with film embryos

He says negros, beaners and dykes. This isn't Oscar bait, this is sticking a middle finger at the lefty PC mob that wins Oscars

This would have won Best Picture if RBG died.

>film embryos
Wutthefuck?

>Implying

don't tell me you forgot

Not Oscar bait. The modern academy isn't very fond of Westerns or anthology films. Also, the Coen bros don't give a fuck about the Oscars.

Prequel to foundation and empire

yes it was

Attached: leg1.jpg (1440x1333, 143K)

Hate how much Julia Roberts was pushed as some kind of sex symbol/ perfect beauty during her career

Its weird. So many of these movies just came and went . Pretty terrible year for movies

10/10

Attached: Elizabeth-Debicki-Feet-3972680.jpg (1280x534, 283K)

These movies are meant to leave you with a feeling of melancholy. They're the type of movies you shouldn't ever watch alone. You've got to be in a good place in your life to watch it and feel OK after.

Like Revolutionary Road. Why would anyone watch that?

Omg the trailer was obnoxious. It made it sound like we lived in a dystopia and she single handedly ascended is out of it.

>news anchor
>the discrimination of sex is now legal
Every liberal wet dream. They fucking love watching things they hate so much. They fantasize about what they would have done if it were them in that situation. Jesus fucking Christ.

Kera nightly in a period piece? Shock of shocks.

lmao

>John C. Reilly without Will Ferrel
Kino indicator right there

What’s funny to me is that it’s written by a Canadian. Kinda surprised it would have any funding from France. They don’t really give a shit. Or so I’d think.

Beautiful Boy should’ve been nominated instead of Roma or Black Panther

There have been a lot of joint canadian-french productions in tv and film, its the french part of canada that drives it

It was nominated for costumes

He wants to move on from The Office. Austistic Internet nerds don’t want him to.

Why does Keira hate modern clothing so much?

The Favourite had better costumes.

Couldn't even pull that last part off

I don't think this one even got marketed, that's how hard it got ignored

This desu
It's like you think about all the effort that went into making a film that not only wouldn't develop a cult audience after the fact, but was completely rejected by the crows it was aiming for and you can't help but feel sorry for the people who made it. It's like when you could have plans with your dopey friends, but you cancel because you think you have a chance with some cute girl/popular acquaintance, only to realize you never had a chance and it's now too late to go back to the plans you reneged upon

It got a nom though

I recall seeing the poster in my local art house movie theater. Hardly had any marketing

Damn, I was really to get my dick out but it turns out to be gross woman legs.

I haven't seen a bad mission impossible yet. what are you on about

I'm on about the fact that it's not capeshit nor is it oscarbait

should i watch this?

Isn’t saying “the El Royale” redundant? Doesn’t “El” already mean “The”? Why say “the The Royal”. Just nonsensical.