At what age did you grow out of arthouse?

At what age did you grow out of arthouse?

Me, when I was 24 when I realized I actually want to enjoy movies instead of being a jaded contrarian autist.

Attached: arthouse.png (718x1024, 1.05M)

im going to be honest man, i have no idea what the fuck arthouse even is. sounds gay as fuck though

i enjoy arthouse film

I don't know if growing up is ignoring an entire genre. Then again you're a ass muncher.

>liking critically acclaimed movies not made by Hollywood
>contrarian

most of the films in the pic are not even arthouse they're just not american

is that what constitutes as arthouse nowdays?

I still enjoy arthouse quite a bit but I often alternate it with stuff like martial art movies or spaghetti westerns when I'm in the mood for entertainment.
Blockbusters don't do much for me lately, but I enjoyed glass and alita so far this year, so that's progress.

>arthouse
>genre

Have you seen Bleak Night? and did you cry?

Everything slightly more challenging than capeshit is arthouse

Maybe because I stopped pretending to like pseudo intellectual artsy films.

Nothing like watching a good Arnold Schwarzenegger movie.

I was the same way OP. I don't completely regret it though, because you run into some legitimately good movies through arthouse you probably wouldn't see otherwise, but yeah, Bela Tarr's movies are a fucking agony to sit through and all the hipsters who pretend he's the next Tarkovsky are faggots.

arthouse means it was made for purposes other than making money. these shitty low budget asian kinos are arthouse.

>all these plebs

I only watch arthouse indie movies, because mainstream movies are too commercialized, shallow, and predictable.

When was the last time we've had a good mainstream "arthouse" movie? And don't say Black Panther, no, it's not good and it's not arthouse.

One of my favorite flicks ever, there’s so many layers to it.

It makes me wonder why did that director never make anything after it.

I'm at the complete opposite end of the spectrum, I watch movies now only if they can inspire me or make me think something I haven't thought about before
what's generally considered arthouse is to me what capeshit is to you

doesn't arthouse go directly against the concept of mainstream?
Anyway I guess Lanthimos and PTA at the very least are fairly well known.

I've seen Vahalla Rising and thought it was alright. Am I cool?

Burning is mainstream as fuck and many people call it arthouse.

Not really. Refn is not held in high regard anymore. Try again.

it was a nice trip.
I used to watch that shit everyday. But then i started frequenting film students and they take it to a hole new level. After watching shitty movie after shitty movie and listen to the most retarded film discussions, i decided to go back to action and sci-fi.
I regret nothing.
Fuck arthouse. fuck art hoes and fuck people who dont watch conan the barbarian.

When the first Avemgers came out I realized that Superhero movies are the only thing i’ll ever watch again.

I'm willing to guess you have never watched any arthouse movie and you are here just to derail the thread with capeshit posting though

I'm slowly getting into it but like almost every movie I watch, it's a mood. If I feel like having a stick up my ass I'll watch arthouse. Otherwise I just go back to watching my backlog or whatever interests me on rarbg's first page

When I got memed into watching Oslo, August 31st

I realized nearly all arthouse is cutesy, pop post-modernism tripe with supernatural elements thrown in.

And I refuse to believe that anyone ever genuinely liked that piece of shit Wavelength.

People only pretend to like it. It's been made just to prove that people are dumb enough to accept anything as art.

Me, I was 16 when I realized anime was the only worthwhile form of media and I stopped watching anything else, I guess I was just an early bloomer heh, smart for my age you could say
It's been 11 years now and I've never regretted that decision

>had a good mainstream "arthouse" movie
Grand buddhapest hotel

You haven't got laid either ever since I bet

Lmao Lathimos and PTA arthouse? Pfffft oh no no no look at this dude

Arthouse is a pretty wide term, you could hate Bunuel flicks and absolutely love Zulawski joints.
Dismissing it entirely sounds pretty juvenile

Big cope

yeah Dogtooth is such a typical mainstream blockbuster product am i rite

It's painfully obvious Yea Forums is full of people pretending to have an appreciation for cinema and whose taste is informed solely by what they think they're supposed to like. Even worst are the cunts who clearly don't even like arthouse films at all but pretend to have the most pretentious obscure taste possible and get off on dismissing somewhat wide appeal but with artistic merit directors like PTA. It's sad that developing actual taste probably isn't on the cards for those people, and all that will happen is they'll grow weary of the lie they tell themselves, like OP has.

I don't play that game. When I watch an Ozu, or Bergman, or Joachim Trier film, it's because I find those films genuinely entertaining. I don't have to be in the mood to watch them, I'm not watching them because that's a cultured thing to do, or to learn anything, or because they're 'interesing' or 'influential' or 'important'. I just like them and I enjoy watching them. More so than any other film.

Attached: waterfowl.jpg (956x1280, 491K)

Attached: peep show.jpg (569x345, 39K)

bitch if you're gonna include past and early works then spielberg and lucas are arthouse directors you dimwit

You should only watch arthouse flicks once in a while.

Not him but The Lobster had a 4mil budget, ran at Cannes, and played in arthouse theatres, atleast where i live.

Lanthimos, PTA and Burning are not arthouse lmao

They’re nice escapism but at some point movies in general get boring if you have a life with responsibilities

Attached: F81EBE33-9106-4528-B73E-6077592E9EF1.jpg (1382x2048, 695K)

'art house' refers literally to a movie theatre which shows such films
Do you have a theatre like that where you live?

what a great duck

Lanthimos and PTA are shown in standard theaters here in the UK. Burning was harder to see as it's a foreign film and would've been shown in an art house theater, not sure about any other countries though.