Reminder that Netflix spent like 3 times the budget just for marketing this shit to make everyone think it was an Oscar...

Reminder that Netflix spent like 3 times the budget just for marketing this shit to make everyone think it was an Oscar favorite and they tucking crashed and burned Lmao. How long do you think it will take until absolutely nobody remembers the movie?

Attached: roma-c_8951_poster2.jpg (210x300, 16K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accolades_received_by_Roma
mexico.com/hecho-en-mexico/quien-es-galo-olivares-el-fotografo-de-roma-a-quien-no-menciono-cuaron/
twitter.com/axelmishael/status/1038988985932996608
indiewire.com/2017/03/alfonso-cuaron-roma-cinematographer-galo-olivares-1201793975/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonia_Roma
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

People seem to really like it though

Nah it was unironically kino
Do you really think they bought all these?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accolades_received_by_Roma

it was shit. To generic, safe and predictable for art house. Ant too boring and empty for casual viewers. This movie is marketing, not more.

Is this true? Every person I come across tells me it's boring as fuck. Only 2 of them actually told me they finished it.

Dude literally no one cares about awards that aren't the Oscar.

>Roma
Is it about gypsies?

It was really boring

It's about italians

Boring film leading to nowhere with an air of unmatched pretentiousness, about an indian housemaid that finds that is happy being a slave ...commies will like it because the indian bitch, their endless victimization and her skin color, onions*boys will like it because its pretentiousness and the fact that their iphones are assembled by slaved bug people.

But the movie is horrible, and the final message-if it does have- is horrible aswell.

Thankfully it wasn't me.

Attached: godwhy.jpg (817x364, 166K)

you're dumb. foreing language movies CAN'T win best movie oscar

They may like it but I have asked a decent number of my friends why they liked it and I could not get a straight answer. This is clear case of brainwashing

It's horrible. Cinematography and direction was a joke too. Pan left, pan right.

Not watched this but shoplifters deserves a oscar, that film was pure kino

It won best Director, that's not exactly crashing and burning.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accolades_received_by_Roma
No Cannes win, no care

No one actually cares about directors.

Only because the guy directed an American film and Best Picture winner first, that's sad

>movie titled Roma
>is set in Mexico
what a fucking fraud

>Nah it was unironically kino
It was ready player one for the criterion crowd pleb

>movie set in the past
>filmed with modern cameras
what a dishonest mexican

Why?

Foreign directors with a foreign film can't win on their own first, they need to get in bed with the Academy by directing Sandra Bullock and George Clooney first before their own country's movie has a chance at recognition.

It's boring as fuck and as a Mexican I'm sick of the circlejerk regarding the main actress.

The movie is well shot and acted, but it's simply not an enjoyable experience

Sounds like they really got gypped.

Roma neighbourhood. There's a movie called Paris, Texas...

By your logic it should be called Roma, Mexico...

>movie is called "the seventh continent"
>takes place in europe

I was born in China Maine.

if i want to watch a mexican ghetto, i can just look out my window. They took over the neighborhood. All on welfare and 3/4ths illegal

There's a section of Mexico City called "Roma"

What I'm saying is that guy compared it to the movie named Paris, Texas.
The name of the movie wasn't just "Paris", Texas was also in the title.

I never watch that kind of movie so I only know it by the title. I actually thought it was set in Rome until last night

No, because it's a neighbourhood, not a town like Paris, Texas.

I didn't know America gave welfare to illegals. What a retarded choice lmao

You call it Rome, not Roma, so stop complaining, Anglofag.

it really is. What's retarded is we know they are and we know where they live because they are getting section 8. It's ridiculous

Still doesn't tell the audience that it's set in Mexico, doesn't matter if it's a town or a neighborhood.

You're a dumb spic who can't even read English, I'm just talking about the title comparison to Paris, Texas.

Look up sanctuary cities

Source on how much they spent on marketing?

I liked it

>201 nominations
>Yea Forums
>No one cares, it crashed and burned lmao

>Still doesn't tell the audience that it's set in Mexico, doesn't matter if it's a town or a neighborhood
Pretty sure the trailer (and movie) is in Mexican Spanish and set in the Roma neighbourhood. Everyone who cares about the movie knows this, you just want find some autistic reason to whine and bitch about like burger-eatin' faggot that you are. Consider suicide.

Roma is a pretty well know beareu in Mexico City. The split personality of Yea Forums says this movie is not Mexican, that it wasn't made for mexicans but it has all sorts of stuff that you wouldn't get unless you're from Mexico City.
You guys are just desperately grasping at straws trying to shit on it, yet some of you don't even understand the title.

pity nominations just like Black Panther and The Favourite

Roma is Italian, they used the name to trick people into thinking it's from an actually kino country instead of fucking Mexico.

Doesn't matter what your shitty polluted city named a poor ass neighborhood.

>Yea Forums says this movie is not Mexican, that it wasn't made for mexicans
said no one ever

Lmao well known to fucking who? Fuck off you shitty beaner.

Pretty sure the trailers and the language make it seem like it's set in Mexico. If you can't tell this, you're mentally retarded and shouldn't reproduce. Roma is also a word in Spanish.

Because your friends are afraid to think for themselves. The reason people don't know if they like it is because it's not a standard film. The beauty of the film isn't in the plot or even the characters though these two things do help guide the film and are good in themselves. The cinematography though is what is special about Roma. He wanted to capture this world of Mexico City and wherever else Cleo travelled. Through these adventures, we see the world unfold in each frame. It's not a 'linear' film in this regard. Really each frame should be explored on their own. But it is all the other elememts i.e. Characters plot that allow for these frames to develop.

>crashed and burned
It won the second most important award of the night and also best foreign film.
Did it need to pull a Titanic or Return of the King to be considered a success?

To people from Mexico City and those who visit it. Is that really your issue, retard? Go whine about feminism or something.

And before people watch a trailer, when they just hear the name and see the photo of people on a beach, they assume "Oh, an Italian flick."

Literal false advertising when you open the trailer and see poor beaners everywhere.

Alright so it's false advertising to the rest of the world, aka everyone not living in your hellhole city. Glad we established that.

Many anons have been saying that no one gives a shit about the movie and that it was only made for white American liberals/sjws

It's known to Mexicans particularly to those from Mexico City. I said so in my other post, maybe you should learn to read better

>pseudo-intellectual bullshit overanalysis
kys artfag

Crash won best picture, guess that's the greatest movie of all time

apparently cuaron is the first director to ever win best cinematography for his own movie

A word can have more than one meaning, retard. Now all the people who watched it and who barely care about cinema know what Cuarón meant by it and Cuarón won his Oscars and you're here grasping at straws like a retard. Consider suicide.

imagine being this uncultured

>Italians
>poor beaners
more or less the same thing anyway

They fucking wish.

Kubrick would be proud.

Not that guy but come on man, burgers are good

How is it an over analysis? I'm literally just stating the devices that he used to make this film

Seriously does he deserve an award for cinematography? i mean, is not that its takes were so unmatched, and most of them dont have any sense or contribute something for the story.

It was actually really good. I wanted to hate it because I hate Netflix (saw it in a movie theater) and loved it. It was kino. Deserved both director and cinematography awards, though I preferred The Favorite for both, personally.

I refuse to watch any modern movie that's in black and white, its a cheap way of trying to make a mediocre movie look sophisticated. I can barely stand it when Snyder flicks have muted color palettes, its plebeian by nature because it appeals to tards who have no understand of what art is or why its important to try new things with new technology. It's anti-aestheticism at its worst, perfectly exemplifies how modern artists are expected to be focused on social-political bullshit instead of visual arts.

Attached: 1434071151625.jpg (720x888, 334K)

It got it because the whole
"You can freeze any scene and it looks like a painting" opinion

I assumed it was set in Rome too, but the trailer made it obvious it was in Mexico. There’s a part of MX City called Roma, no problem here— other than the fact I thought they were going for a Fellini feeling.

stop reading so much into it. He used black and white because he didn't want color. Would you get mad if a painter used only black and white? Why get mad about it with film then

>cinematography should be subservient to the plot
what a pleb. cinema is a VISUAL media

Also you didn't watch Roma if you think the film is trying to convey some social political message or at least the power of the film is in conveying that message

Nobody is going to forget a movie that won Alfonso Cuaron the best director oscar.

He robbed the DP credits from Galo Olivares. The poor bastard couldn't complain because Cuarón made him write some papers that basically censored him.

Sources:

mexico.com/hecho-en-mexico/quien-es-galo-olivares-el-fotografo-de-roma-a-quien-no-menciono-cuaron/

twitter.com/axelmishael/status/1038988985932996608

indiewire.com/2017/03/alfonso-cuaron-roma-cinematographer-galo-olivares-1201793975/

I don't know, it's fading pretty fast.

Attached: 47cda12fcaba8b2b50711b16a6c79d23.jpg (1000x1426, 123K)

But this is basic for cinematography, the theme, situation, feelings are shown through visuals...

Attached: 7e78f027a52f8c79b17fc468f6f8b0fc649de2d1_hq.jpg (720x289, 22K)

I'm sure the Italians do

Somehow I doubt it

Attached: Untitled.png (499x166, 24K)

What post 2010 movie isn't?

Great film and got the best director oscar, so your opinion is full of shit

:(

>Roma is Italian, they used the name to trick people into thinking it's from an actually kino country instead of fucking Mexico.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

holy shit, you thought this was an Italian movie because of "Roma" despite it being a neighborhood in Mexico City?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

...what an imbecile

Don't be a retard.

why isn't it called Mexico?

Why the fuck would it be called Mexico?

>why isn't every movie name after its country of origin

Attached: 1509045019019s.jpg (250x241, 9K)

Just from the poster I can tell it's pretentious (black & white) human hardship bullshit with underlying themes of "we is together" and the power of love and family in hard times. "We never let u go". Tears

Speak softly my child, we will make it through this. The enduring human spirit and what not.

I've been hating on it in the thread, but nah, it mostly shits on people and the "Stay together" part is only the last 20 minutes.

Because Roma means Rome in like every language on Earth. They could at least put some sombreros on the poster kids so we know it's a mexican film.

You're the first person shitting on the movie ITT who has actually seen it

Only because the Netflix corporation brainwashed them into thinking they did. NIGGER!

>grasping at straws

>They could at least put some burgers or hot dogs on the poster kids so we know it's an american film
That's how retarded you sound.

Roma is one of the most famous places in Mexico City, the other being Condesa and Polanco. What's so hard to understand? Is that your issue, retard? Can't you understand a word has more than one meaning? Context?

>seething spics getting mad some fucking shitty neighborhood isn't world famous

Go to a person on the street, any country except Mexico, tell them the title and show the poster and say you get $10,000 if you can guess which country made it.

>now he's bragging about having low IQ
I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt but you really are retarded.

lol some people in this thread are expecting Yea Forums to understand poetry, which roma is.
not poetry as a praise, but literally poetry as in using form as communication.
you can notice some faults though: sometimes unimaginative camerawork, the stupid lizard. the scene when the thugs enter the store looking for students is great, it manages to tell so much so quickly.
the cannes winner is probably more interesting.
as the plot is thin in roma, it could have more introverted moments.
but no, the main critic is that roma isn't an efficient moneymaker.
Yea Forums is a lousy board. there should be a /trash version for patricians like myself.

Attached: 1464485584117.png (396x396, 304K)

This is a very specific movie, though. Context defines it. You're thinking like a retarded American advertising man. Cuarón already won Oscars and Netflix won views. If Netflix had no problem with its title why would a retard have issues? The cinema world knows what he means, you're the only autistic retard still grasping at straws out of a movie that came out last year. Just kys.

Maybe one day a Mexican movie will be nominated with an actual Mexican name and a director who didn't have to direct a Sandra Bullock/George Clooney CGIfest to get Oscar famous.

It is a Mexican name, though, since it refers to the Mexican neighbourhood Roma, not to Rome, Italy.

Yea Forums never ceases to impress on how pleb most of you are. Roma was incredible. The fact that Green Book won over it is objectively a complete and utter disgrace.

>Maybe one day a Mexican movie will be nominated with an actual Mexican name
So, Roma.

Roma is the Ready Player One of foreign cinema my dude, it's as pleb as it gets.

Which makes it even worse when people think it's pretentious, no?

What a shit analogy.

Yeah, it was a solid 5/10 for me, enjoyable but you can tell the kids who have barely watched anything when they say it "changed cinema" etc.

Nah, it was incredibly well shot and well acted. You are braindead if you think it didn't deserve best picture (or The Favourite), because literally none of the other nominees were deserving.

They shouldn’t have misled people with the title. When people think “Roma” they think Italy, not some random city in Mexico. That’s like calling a movie Athens and having it take place in TN. It’s literally dishonest filmmaking.

Green Book wasn’t called Mr Ching-Chong and the Homosexual

I'm pretty sure the Netflix and foreign factors screwed it over and it's a good pick compared to other recent BP winners.
But no, being better than The Favorite is not a fucking cinematic accomplishment.

Americans know and care more about modern day Athens, Georgia (huge college football party town in the South) then they do about Athens, Greece.

I mean, the Favourite was pretty great too

It was meh for me. Colman acting like a child was annoying to watch and the ending with the rabbits superimposed on Emma's face was like something a student would make for an ending to a short film in school.

I liked pic related, Burning, Mandy, and An Elephant Sitting Still the most from this year.

Attached: 50c57022ea990c40b5e2532e1fa2e922c95c9e16.jpg (1215x1600, 308K)

yeah is like that song Paris from Chainsmokers all over again.

"Roma" is technically accurate, though, "Mr Ching Chong and the Homosexual" isn't. And Burgers call it Rome, not Roma, so you're just being a bitch. Burgers have a city called Rome in fucking Georgia lmao opionion discarded faggot.

Nah, American movies are named properly.

Attached: MV5BM2RjMmU3ZWItYzBlMy00ZmJkLWE5YzgtNTVkODdhOWM3NGZhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDA5Mjg5MjA@._V1_.jpg (1138x1755, 586K)

Places called Rome in Burgerland:
>Rome, Alabama
>Rome, Georgia
>Rome, Illinois
>Rome, Indiana
>Rome City, Indiana
>Rome, Iowa
>Rome, Kansas
>Rome, Kentucky
>Rome, Maine
>Rome, Mississippi
>Rome, Missouri
>Rome, New York
>Rome, Ohio, a village
>Rome, Delaware County, Ohio, an unincorporated community
>Rome, Morrow County, Ohio, a ghost town
>Rome, Richland County, Ohio, an unincorporated community
>Rome, Oregon
>Rome, Pennsylvania
>Rome, Tennessee
>Rome, Adams County, Wisconsin, a town
>Rome (community), Adams County, Wisconsin, an unincorporated community
>Rome, Jefferson County, Wisconsin, a census-designated place

But God forbid a Mexican movie is named Roma after the neighbourhood of the same name in Mexico City. Fuck you all, whiny faggots.

Context. The movie is set in Mexico.

We're talking about movie names here. Not sure why the towns being named that has to do with anything.

Where's the American film named "Rome" or "Paris" about these towns at? Oh right, it was shitty Mexicans naming a movie after another country's capital, not us.

Why would you handicap the vibrancy of your movie by making it black and white?

>Oh right, it was shitty Mexicans naming a movie after another country's capital, not us.
Except it wasn't. It was named Roma after the neighbourhood in Mexico City, where the events take place.
Are you seriously this retarded?

And no one except Mexicans knew what it meant.

So literal false advertising for the rest of the world until you open up the trailer and see a fat beaner.

So every movie with an english title it's false advertising if foreign public don't know the meaning? Who is wrong here?

Movies are meant to be watched, y'know? You're not supposed to understand everything merely by its title. Entering blindly into a film without at least reading its premise is what retarded normies like you do. Hopefully, the subtitles and the b&w scared the plebs away. Cry more, faggot.

>crashed and burned

But it won the only important category.

You know what a pronoun is? A name of a city like Rome is not the same thing as a foreign English word you don't know the meaning of.

It's like a movie named Tijuana starring Ryan Gosling living in Canada. Oh but the bar's name is Tijuana so it's okay, it's a very famous neighborhood bar.

>It's like a movie named Tijuana starring Ryan Gosling living in Canada. Oh but the bar's name is Tijuana so it's okay, it's a very famous neighborhood bar.
It's technically valid, what's the real issue here? You don't even care about Rome or Roma. Just grasping at straws. Worse than a first world feminist lmao

Cool your jets ESL-kun. Maybe you didn't like it so much because you couldn't read the subtitles?

Maybe next time you don’t clickbait your movie title.

It’s not like the movie needed to be called Roma. You could have called it a billion other generic titles. But nnnooooo you wanted Roma so people would think Italian and think romance.

You're talking like I'm Alfonso Cuarón, m8. I didn't chose the name. All the guy did was using his childhood neighbourhood's name and you want to crucify him for some reason lmao chill

> so people would think Italian and think romance.
That's kinda your fault. A word can have many meanings depending on the context.

Some kike judge ruled it was "unconstitutional" to prevent them from accessing services when California passed proposition 187.

lol is this nigger talking seriously?
do you dont read the summary before watching a movie?

It was unironically the best movie out of the nominated ones, should have won.

t. Reddit

>sudaca movie that isn't dubbed in Castilian

It's shit.

t. Spaniard.

So far
Oscars wins
Black Panther 3
Jennifer Lawrence 1
Brie Larson 1
Alicia Vikander 1
Mahershala Ali 2
Emma Stone 1
Lady Gaga 1
Regina King 1
Anne Hathaway 1
Cher 1
Raimi Malek 1
Whoopi Goldberg 1
Spike Lee 1
Kobe Bryant 1
Lupita Nyogo 1
Kathleen Kennedy 1

No Oscars as directors
D. W. Griffith (0 nominations Honorary award)
Buster Keaton (0) (Honorary Award in 1959)
Howard Hawks (1 nomination, 0 wins)
Alfred Hitchcock (5 nominations, 0 wins Honorary award)
Stanley Kubrick (4 nominations, 0 wins)
Akira Kurosawa (1 nomination, 0 wins)
Fritz Lang (0 nominations)
Sam Peckinpah (0 nominations)
Sidney Lumet (4 nominations, 0 wins)
David Lynch (3 nominations, 0 wins)

0 Oscars as actors/actresses
Errol Flynn (0 nominations)
Marilyn Monroe (0 nominations)
Jerry Lewis (0 nominations)
Fred Astaire (1 nomination, 0 wins)
Kirk Douglas (3 nominations, 0 wins)
Albert Finney (5 nominations, 0 wins)
Peter O'Toole (8 nominations, 0 wins)
Donald Sutherland (0 nominations)
Glenn Close (7 nominations, 0 wins)
Richard Burton (7 nominations, 0 wins)
Alan Rickman (0 nominations)
Richard Harris (2 nominations, 0 wins)
Viggo Mortensen (3 nominations, 0 wins)
Tom Cruise (3 nominations, 0 wins)
Joaquin Phoenix (3 nominations, 0 wins)

It’s about tomatoes

the movie wasn't that spectacular but out of the other nominees it's the better one.

>"tricked into thinking it was an Oscar Favorite"
>"Crashed and Burned"
>Won Best Director and Best Cinematography, two incredibly huge awards
>Won Best Foreign Language Picture, another big one
Yeah, certainly did crash and burn huh.

>reading
>for a movie

Considering Best Director usually wins Best Picture, it was a huge disappointment and just a middle finger to Netflix.

Why would anyone know the names of neighborhoods in an irrelevant shithole like Mexico City?

>can't bother reading a short paragraph for the summary of a movie

>the movie wasn't that spectacular
But it was

NO ERA

Everyone knows its a better film than Green Book which didnt even get nommed for director.

Legit all the best picture noms but Roma were shit

you cant shoot black and white on digital, every even remotely honest pro will tell you that

Pleb.

It not winning isn't a blow. The fact it was nominated was huge for netflix. Winning would have been insane.

It did win though. Best Director and best Foreign Language.

Kubrick won for best SFX.

I saw it at the theater. The beach scene was kino.

>implying based Cuarón isn't a pro

It's actually one of the rare modern films where the cinematography tells a story.

Yes big whoop he was the best director for decades

sorry to hear you were force to challenge yourself with reading subtitles. You really hating on an empty stomach on your 1 bedroom apartment?

The Favourite was better than Roma, art house but enjoyable arthouse. Roma was empty trash, even the cinematography is better in The Favourite.

The Fav should have won best costume design and best prod design REEEEEEEEEE

>even the cinematography is better in The Favourite.
Mmm, love that fisheye lens

>All these seething burgers who can´t admit a 100% mexican movia was nominated by the oscars because their fragile ego can´t accept the are not the center of the world anymore

the favourite was actual anti art empty masturbative hacky trash
roma was kino

Definitely not empty. A very straightforward movie in my opinion.
You're right about Roma though

cannes aint till may dipstick

an oscar is in fact an oscar

It wasn't good at all.
But thumbs up for Netflix shilling this shit into the Oscars, more non-holywood movies getting prizes is better.

Fuck off plebe

It wasn't good at all
Kill yourself

I know.. that's what I said. Thanks for agreeing with me.
Piece of garbage and overhyped shit.

>big trouble in little china
>WTF this movie is actually in San Francisco???

It already lost last year, retard.

"Little China" isn't a Chinese sounding city at all you fucking moron.

>all these plebs and general retards ITT
christ Yea Forums is terrible

Attached: 1404582414923.jpg (400x386, 37K)

Seriously, there are plebs here that shill Roma, even though it's pure shit
Netlix must be paying a pretty penny

bullshit, people hated it, it was honestly most boring movie i ever seen

Attached: 1514944417557.png (657x539, 110K)

stick to capeshit

>wojack poster
Watch out everyone! Here comes an intellectual.

pimche chinito

she's not indian she's mexican how can you be this fucking dumb

you live between plebs dude

can anybody explain why they thought it was good? The plot was all over the fucking place and the dumb slut literally does not do anything

>Release date: 30 August 2018 (Venice)
Dumb nigger

OAXACAN MASTERRACE REPRESENT

WHERE U PAISAS FROM?

ve a joder a tu madre, y que tambien te joda tu puto mesias de mierda Obrador que al primero que se las va a insertar es a los Estados del sur indio de basura, por eso sus putos niños y jóvenes están hasta abajo en educación