So user, can you relate to the main character?

So user, can you relate to the main character?
also is Hae-Mi dead? Does it even matter?

Attached: MV5BMWNmYjI1M2UtNDdkNi00MTgwLWFiZmYtODcxNWZhM2Y2NWFkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxODk2OTU@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,70 (700x1000, 121K)

No. He's quite pathetic.

she is clearly dead

The MC killed her.

a little
she's either dead or just disappeared herself

What does the well even have to do with anything if Ben is straight up a serial killer? That would make sense with the metaphor of greenhouses being women but then what?
I had read an interesting take about the MC being representative of the poor working class and Ben being the rich arrogant elites that they'll rebel against (N Korean propaganda all day getting to the MC's head and all that)

Interesting take desu

In the short story this was based on the guy is a human trafficker, which fits his behaviour in the movie better. But yeah, she's fucked.

I think all the interpretations that posit Ben being the culprit as a figment of the MCs imagination are quite boring.

Ben's profession is never revealed in the short story. Human trafficker is a possibility though. Also, the short story ends in the coffee shop where Ben says that he did in fact burn a greenhouse (a shed in the short story).

The well is just Ben trying to reassure himself that Hae-Mi wasn't lying to him.

>In the short story this was based on the guy is a human trafficker
you do realize you are retarded right ?
the point of the movie is to make you see things from the perspective of, or even identify with the poor incel who is paranoid about shit. Hae-Mi just left. The rich guy is just a player.

That actually makes a lot of sense, once his mom tells him there was indeed a well and that he sees Hae-Mi's stuff at Ben's house is when he goes nuclear.

was MC just a paranoid loser? this movie was such a fucking ride

You know it's true

Attached: Dga7zuNX4AAtIsF.jpg (1200x1200, 409K)

>was MC just a paranoid loser?
yep.

if hae-mi represent the potential of the existentially transformative power of creativity through self-expression in korean society and is nowhere to be seen after the alienated poor class interact with the privileged rich class then ... eh , no future i guess?

He literally killed his future out of frustration

This is probably true. The only evidence of foul play that the MC has is the watch and cat in Ben's apartment, Haemi's clean apartment, a weird phone call, and a lack of burned greenhouses. Combine that with the fact that the MC stalked Ben for days without seeing anything weird, and it's clear that Ben is not a bad guy. Then again, maybe Ben knew he was being followed, so he avoided doing anything bad. Now I'm thinking like the MC.

>if hae-mi represent the potential of the existentially transformative power of creativity through self-expression in korean society
hae-mi fucked Jong-su because she could, she never wanted to be his gf, it was like revenge sex because she used to be mocked as an ugly girl before she got plastic surgery and now she can fuck anyone she wants.

>greenhouse=women
Ok. But it doesn't necessarily implies burning = killing. It can just be dumping them. He could just be a jerk who likes to ridicule desperate women

idk about that, it was pretty obvious in some parts she has feelings (at least lingering) but he's too much of a sperg to take the hint.
Also the whore line cut pretty deep

True, especially when it's obvious his rich friends are all mocking the shit out of each chick he shows them

>He could just be a jerk who likes to ridicule desperate women
incel logic warning

>it was pretty obvious in some parts she has feelings
but she did fuck him way too soon. that was just a flex of how pretty she had become.

The VVitch and Burning are literally not horrors

What genre is The VVitch if not horror? I agree with you on Burning. Maybe it's because I read the book, but I knew nothing would happen throughout the whole story. The ending surprised me though. I guess they had to make something exciting happen or people would complain that nothing happens.

The way he hugged him as he was getting stabbed made it clear he was guilty. An innocent dude would probably be freaking out and fighting back

>Burning
>horror
This is you brain on Yea Forums. Stop fucking memeing and watch movies instead faggot.

Attached: 1491357243637.jpg (641x530, 41K)

>incel gook crushes on some junkie slut with no future
>slut gets plowed by richer better looking gook who offs her
>incel kills him
what a boring lame movie, shitty art movie garbage JUST

what else is worth watching in 2018?

wait for more 2019 movies, it's gonna be awesome
2018 was a garbage year, the worst of this decade.

The movie portayals of
The MC = Sociopath
Ben = Psychopath
Haemi = Narcissist

Suspiria. Whether you like the story or not, it's a great feat in technical aspects

How did her boobs get bigger the second time we see her naked?

Attached: fug.png (111x155, 50K)

>what else is worth watching in 2018?

Attached: Onecutofthe dead.jpg (768x576, 107K)

Pregnancy

this, sort of
he didn't care about her at all until she fucked him, didn't recognize her, didn't remember a thing about her, couldn't even remember if he once saved her from a well or not (metaphor?) she fucks him and suddenly he's completely obsessed with her, spends his time looking after a cat he never sees, jerking off in the corner, at one point she says the cat's autistic (metaphor?) even if his suspicions were right and Ben was some bad guy why wouldn't he tell the police? because he knows they wouldn't believe it for a second, and he knows better than they do, right? how much time is supposed to have elapsed from the beginning to the end? 2, 3 months? he goes from Army dropout, to shit-shoveling hick, to pathological stalker, to murderer based on a mass-produced plastic trinket and a stray cat. the scene where the lawyer says you need a troubled protagonist (metaphor?), Ben was a homosexual makeup artist living beyond his means on credit, the Porsche was a lease, the condo was a lease, his friends were aspiring models and other city kids living on credit and loans, fragile, embarrassed people projecting confidence, this movie is so bleak, anyway you cut it it is such a harsh, unforgiving vision, it's like, okay, you're dad's going away for a year and a half, gotta buck up and stay strong, wait it out, which would suck, and instead he goes, "It's over," sells the livestock, kills some guy, then there's the audience reaction which is even more depressing, they spend 2 1/2 hours with the characters and are like, "She was a fake, manipulative little bitch, but Ben is obviously some sleazy psychopath, dude wouldn't have done anything except he had irrefutable proof," it's like if at the end of Catcher in the Rye Holden went back and stabbed Stradlater to death for beating him up, sad

>I think all the interpretations that posit Ben being the culprit as a figment of the MCs imagination are quite boring.

Have they seen a Lee Chang Dong film before? Almost every single one involves the death of someone (Poetry, Peppermint Candy, Secret Sunshine)

Best Korean movie last year.
Psychokenisis was a hot turd. Pls recommend good Korean movies from 2018

ching chong ding dong

most asian men are.

TOP KEK
BASED

Attached: 1549162012567.jpg (2000x3008, 663K)

Why is Yea Forums the only place suggesting Ben is innocent? Wtf. Literal conspiratards

Why would she lie about it?

I don't understand what that means? What's the importance of the well?

Then what did Ben mean by "I burn greenhouses" if he's not talking about killing women are empty and forgotten?

Here's my theory (beyond all the obvious themes etc)
There is no Ben. The protagonist just leads a double life. You never see Hae Mi alone with Ben. All the well stuff was just justification because he knows he killed her and is trying to deal with the guilt. He's just leading a double life, is all.

Why does the whore line matter? I didn't get it

The House that Jack Built, Vox Lux, The Favorite and An Elephant Sitting Still.

Not a good year for movies but I think Burning and The House that Jack Built will age very well

Attention and being a drama whore?

I haven't seen this film, is it kino? I've been watching recently released films and so far I really enjoyed First Man and the Favourite but found Vice to be a massive disappointment

Better than both of those.

Maybe he was just fucking with the MC. He also said that the police don't care about his crimes, but the murder of pretty girls are the crimes that people care about the most.

Vox Lux and The Favorite are not worth watching.

Elephant and Burning are 10/10 though.

Ben did nothing wrong

The Favourite is fucking brilliant, even if you're too retarded to appreciate the dialogue and power-play you can at least pause and jerk off to Emma's exposed nipple

Nah. I'm not a virgin who jacks off to softcore. Jesus,what the fuck happened to this board

Shoplifters and Blindspotting in addition to what's been named.

The Favourite > Burning >>>>>>> First Man >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Vice

imagine thinking someone jerking off over Emma fucking Stone is in any way weird

THE CAT KILLED HER

Burning > The Favourite any day, every day.

yup. I have a same theory of that too
Haemi's house = irl, MC's house (why landlord should give him a spare key IIRC he's enterin the room twice or more before Haemi disappeared)
Ben's house = irl, Haemi's House (those makeup items, etc belong to Haemi)

Ben does not exist. It's a fact.

*after

My interpretation: when he was talking about burning greenhouses, he was actually confessing to murdering girls. When he said the next one was "very close", he meant Hae-mi. That's why the main character never found a burnt greenhouse.

What does Yea Forums think?

Attached: 1547401921142.jpg (562x800, 121K)

based post and a /thread from me

She might be dead but Ben didn't do it.

Why would Ben agree to meet him in a secluded place with the promise of Hae Mi being there if he already knew he had killed her, he's clearly not stupid enough to do that.

After doing a bit of reading there's clearly some implied stuff that we're missing due to how cultural it is. A few examples:
makeup and cremation is written the same way in Hangul supposedly. Ben doing makeup on the chick near the end marking her as a victim? (Remember: greenhouse = chicks, he burns them?)
MC sells his calf which represents purity before murdering Ben

I hadn't looked at it that way but an user said he was asking around because he wanted to know if she had lied to him about it or not. Now I can interpret this in 3 ways.
The first one: that little detail is another thing he obsesses over, thus showing his mental state. He rambles on about it to her parents, he meets his mother but just talks about the damn well etc.
Second interpretation: he wanted to know if what was between them was real. Sometimes guys have abrupt endings to relationships, get dumped badly etc and start doubting everything that chick has said. Thus he's checking to see if the chick was lying to him / making up stories. When his mom tells him that no there was indeed a well, he now believes that Hae-Mi was honest with him. This combined with finding her items at Ben's house reinforces his love for her, his sorrow at her disappearance and makes him go batshit insane.
3rd opinion is some shit I read where Hae-Mi represents x and had MC pull her out and it was a metaphor for the youth or some Korean politic idfk

MC's words have a strong effect on Hae-Mi ("ah you're ugly" = "fuck me guess I'll have surgery"), and imo still has feelings for him even when she's with Ben. Him calling her a whore visibly affects her.

I think if you take the film at face value then yeah, definitely the most logical take absolutely

He caught Ben by surprise, he fought back a bit, but he repeatedly stabbed him. Sometimes your reactions are dulled due to extreme shock

give me a quick rundown on this movie

it sucks

Why would he agree to even meet him in the middle of nowhere under the pretext the girl was there if he had murdered her? It makes no sense.

a simple hint at the beginning MC doesn't remember childhood things what Haemi said to him It's clearly a dissociative identity disorder

Honestly I think it was added to muddle further their relationship. Ben obviously uses and disregards the women he courts but seems to be cultivating a peculiar interest for the MC. Is that hug just shock? Did he actually care for the MC in his weird way? Who knows

If you don't like open-ended movies then steer right the fuck off this one

so it really is incelbait?
what a letdown

Shouldn't that be 'steer right the fuck off of this one'? ESL here.

>Sociopath
do you even know what this means

I really loved Green Book, I hope it wins tonight.

I read an interpretation that Hae-mi was sick of her life and pursued acting under Ben. She disappeared and left behind her belongings like the cat in reference to when haemi says the thing about how you have to forget you have an orange in hand. There was no evidence of murder so it was just the protag's' frustration being projected

sounds incredibly unrealistic and gay
typical artsy schlock