73% of US market is claimed by catalog music instead of new releases. Modern music is DEAD!

73% of US market is claimed by catalog music instead of new releases. Modern music is DEAD!

There is cool music, but there is no era, no movement, no real innovative progression. I feel this pain as a desperate gigging musician and a desperate songwriter, too. I just have no inspiration for new horizons. Instead i look back at 70s synth music and im in awe how many lightyears ahead these guys were, they are still running circles around us.

When do we create a new era of music? A new GENRE! Guys, i want new music, and dont get me your dreampop, quarthop garbage.

Give me the Rock'n'Roll of the 2020s, the jass of the 2020s, the electro pop of the 2020. In short A NEW GENRE!!!!!!

Attached: 1232455667879880.jpg (618x526, 49.65K)

We’re working on it. People making music today are some of the most talented that have ever existed. It takes time to top the greats of the past, Have patience, froggy.

>Modern music is DEAD!
Awesome. When there's so much amazing stuff from the 60s-90s to explore I don't see how this is a downside.

So what are they doing? Let me guess

>overproduced poppy hip hip with some analog instruments sprinkled in, and some weird rhythms

Wow, SO NEW!!!!!

>73% of US market is claimed by catalog music instead of new releases
This is always the case. There will never be enough new releases to stack up to the mountains of material already recorded. You're putting a few years up against decades and decades

A culture and art dies when its relying on the past and not moving on to the future. Cmon, dude. Do i really have to explain this to you? Why the fuck do you think the 60s-90s even existed if not for the 20, 30, 40s, 50 before them innovating.

The next big thing could happen next year or in 5 years from now. What’s your rush? I know you don’t have shit going on. Go smoke a doob and relax.

The more interesting fact is what we are nowadays putting against the "classics". And its not much.How the fuck do you even compete with the catchyness of 80s electropop. You cant. Yet people are stuck. They dont move forward.

Yeah i know. But do you know what i could be?

The only reason old music stands the test of time is because back then consumerism wasn't so present. Yeah people bough vinyl like lunatics but that was the only way you could hear the album. People couldn't just listen to the music whenever they wanted with a device that fits in their pocket and contains almost all the music ever released. Because the internet was not a thing during the times of the Beatles, Zeppelin etc when people bough a record you bet your ass they would listen to it til it started to disintegrate so they can justify the spent money. Also because the internet and all the futuristic shit we take for granted today wasn't a thing, there wasn't much entertainment you can just indulge in when you came home from work outside of fucking your wife. So of course music and the hardship of acquiring it was one of the main sources of stress relief. Today music is so accessible that people lose interest in it fast because they know they can just listen to it wherever they want. And there are literally a infinity of other entertainment solutions out there on YouTube alone. If music was less accessible it would be worth more and people would appreciate it more.

>Also because the internet and all the futuristic shit we take for granted today wasn't a thing, there wasn't much entertainment you can just indulge in when you came home from work outside of fucking your wife. So of course music and the hardship of acquiring it was one of the main sources of stress relief. Today music is so accessible that people lose interest in it fast because they know they can just listen to it wherever they want. And there are literally a infinity of other entertainment solutions out there on YouTube alone. If music was less accessible it would be worth more and people would appreciate it more.

Absolutely correct. But can you imagine a solution maybe?

It seems our modern ADHD geenration already moved to Single music only, meanign one hit and not an entire album.

You think that Single-only music is the way to go?

This. Other forms of media aren't that affected by it, because it's comparatively easy to write a song compared to, say, make a short film. There's a vast ocean of music and most of it is shit; and what's being pushed is mostly manufactured to cater to as many people as possible so it sells.

Im not hearing solutions. Capitalism bad, we know.

The perpetual caretaking of the museum of human history. Yippee

>This is always the case
it's becoming a bigger "problem" though.

>The 200 most popular new tracks now regularly account for less than 5 percent of total streams. That rate was twice as high just three years ago. The mix of songs actually purchased by consumers is even more tilted toward older music.

This shit reads like some End-of-Rome setting. We are not creating anythign meaningful anymore, indulging in the past, ignoring future possibilities and going blind with nostalgia.

How the FUCK can we break this

Nobody listened to krautrock and synth music in the 70s. The only reason people see it as some big cultural moment is because Eno pillaged it for his own purposes and then Cope wrote about it and made it cool to collect in the 80s. I guarantee you there's a similarly obscure innovation going on right now that will be pillaged and retconned into a big cultural moment decades from now and everyone (especially OP) will act like they were there for it.

There will always be people who will appreciate music and buy albums and collect vinyl and shit. But for the majority of people these things are useless. Where I live people are fine with listening to whatever the radio tells them to listen to. And the only time they get out of their way to search for music is when they look for "music with bass for car". The kind of club music that's bass boosted so their cars can make the dumdumdum sound. As important as music is in the daily life of people, most of them don't really care what they're listening to as long as they ubderstand the lyrics and can nod their head to it. There is no solution to this. People just don't care about music as much as you'd like to believe. And the ones that do are a very small amount compared to the rest of the world. This is why popular music is popular music and it soujds the way it sounds. Cuz most people just need a rhythm in their ear and don't see the point in exploring furhter than that.

>How the FUCK can we break this
we can't... without wanting to sound like a schizo, this is literally all part of a plan of managed civilisational decline.
The things you describe are typical of all dying civilisations. You're living through the period of collapse right now.

you should read the article "Is Old Music Killing New Music?" by Ted Gioia, which is where the quote came from.

If I knew solutions I'd drop them here, user. The only advice I have to offer is to dig, dig some more and keep digging and find stuff that's interesting or promising.

Maybe it's good for society to stop and take a breather for 5 minutes to take stock of and appreciate what we've done instead of just forcibly pumping out new shit

Magdalena Bay released the best synth pop album ever last year.

holy fuck you guys are really melodramatic and stupid
what I'm saying in is that this is not a cultural problem and is a natural state of affairs, because the sheer volume of recorded music means that new releases will always take up a smaller slice of sales, due to being a tiny minority of music

I hear Pink Floyd is selling their catalogue? How much do you think Dark Side will go for? 400 mil?

>Cuz most people just need a rhythm in their ear and don't see the point in exploring furhter than that.

Which actually speaks for our caveman behaviour and our love for simple yet mesmerizing rhythm music.

>first song is a literal citypop/future funk ripoff

Stealing is not an achievement.

>best synth pop album ever

If you were born yesterday, for sure lol

Music evolved all throughout the 20th century, then stopped. So what? It only evolved due to developments in new technology. The internet was the final part of the evolutionary process. Now we're left with a mass grave of past artifacts to dig through. That isn't entirely a bad thing. The addlebrained consumer mentality of perpetual novelty can only go so far before it reaches a dead end. Subtlety is objectively superior to novelty. Go for subtle sounds inspired by nature rather than the constant airhorn of popular over-refined audial junk food. Pick up a simple instrument and start playing your own music.

Attached: 1567657757.jpg (155x185, 11.32K)

YOU CANT MAKE A LIVING WITH PLAYING DELTA BLUES

I like old music, BUT I NEED TO EAT FFS Playing infront of 5 people doesnt pay my bills, you fucking bedroom warriors.

Then go get a business degree instead of goofing around trying to make it big by making silly noises on a computer.

The powers that B dont need innovative pop music anymore to manipulate the masses. The masses are content with cheap mass produced slop and don't need "deep messages" or whatever anymore

>How the fuck do you even compete with the catchyness of 80s electropop

Can you give some examples of some tracks?

>jass

bro, you're clearly Scandinavian if you don't know the letter Z exists, go write some lightweight pop music for teen girls like ABBA and Max Martin

You have to be 30+ to post here, zoomie.

I just want to listen to some catchy 80s electropop that I maybe haven't heard before cock gobbler. Post tracks.

Most people are waiting for someone else to tell them what's good, so they stick with what people used to say was good while they wait.

Listening to Unknown Mortal Orchestra makes me feel good about modern music.
I think musicians just need to plug into “the 70s stuff that was light-years ahead” or whatever genre fills in the blanks for them, and then bring that inspiration forward into new musical ideas. I don’t know if that alone would necessarily coalesce into a movement from a musical point of view - I think “scenes” these days are pretty fractured and technology kinda lets you curate your own little private scene. I would guess it’ll require a Beatles-like band to draw a line in the sand on musical, visual, fashion, and cultural ideas, and one that captures enough teenage minds at once to be seen as a movement.
I wonder if part of it is figuring out how technology and traditional instruments work together in a “standard” sort of way, like how a drum kit evolved into a rough standard of certain drum types positioned together in a certain way, or how rock n roll found its drum-guitar-base spine from which to start experimenting.

I see two things:
1. Innovation (the one that breaks schemes) needs the support of certain cultural movements. Not only because it inspires musicians, but also because it changes the attitude of listeners.
2. Please stop locking yourself into a single genre of music
Peace and out

>The masses are content with cheap mass produced slop and don't need "deep messages" or whatever
wait isn't that what music was in the 50s, before the Beatles?

its not necessarily that we ran out of ideas or there is less talent, its just that its harder for artists to stand out when the internet allows you to access so much music at a click of a button, and the major labels are less risk taking because theres not as much money in music as there used to be

thanks, /r/music but most musicians never made much money except a few superstars like Elvis

I enjoyed it but absolutely nothing new about it. It sounds like a decent album that could’ve been released in 2012

I appreciate this thread because it’s been on my mind too. Mark Fisher wrote about this a decade ago and it’s still true, the stagnancy of music is downstream of the stagnancy of culture and society. Hyperpop’s fizzling out feels like the end of music, eating it’s own tail.
although I feel it may be on the verge of changing now. That’s just a feeling. Maybe we need to create it ourselves

Real musicians are out there honing their craft brotherman
Rock ain't dead, it's coming back with a fury.

So the solution is to be crazier, wilder, more vibrant and more beautiful than anyone else. Good to know.

youre a stupid fucking person

>just two more decades
>i swear

Reality hurts, i know. But mommy wont shield from it forever, sweetie.

Unironically yes. The legends of yesterday we look up to didn't get there by lying back and bitching about why making music is hopeless, they just did it. They sat down and pushed themselves to a musical level above their predecessors, there's no reason that couldn't happen today, people are just being whiny defeatist faggots.

Attached: 1611688537625.png (1280x1171, 754.08K)

Youre missing my entire point, its about personality as much as talent. There is no Bowie today, because men are not crazy enough to be as flamboyant as him. Same with Freddie, Mick, Danzig.

There is NO crazy frontman today. People are afraid. Must be the hundreds of meds eevroyne is taking against anxiety.

>and im in awe how many light years ahead these guys were, they are still running circles around us
you could listen to big band music from the 40s and it has a level of songwriting and musical complexity that's completely beyond the reach of anyone in LA today

Sure personality is important too, but people didn't lose their personalities over the last 20 years. I'll grant you that a lot of people have had their personalities overwritten by Disney Capeshit and Star Wars, but that doesn't mean there aren't good frontmen out there. If anything that indicates a NEED for a good frontman, right? So another Bowie or Mercury would stand out even more if he did come crashing through the scene.
Food for though, OP. Music isn't hopeless even if the landscape has changed. I'll keep screaming and playing whether anybody listens or not.

No shit Sherlock. Go back 200 years and usually one single genius composed orchestral music that not only elevated the genre but stood the test of time for eternity.

Its hardship that makes greatness.

The dynamic personality also needs to be adept at navigating social media and marketing their image properly in the age of the internet. Its changed the game a bit from the past, going viral and having a presence online goes a long way ow

>new genre
>rock

the nutty people who'd have been David Bowie are probably the types who become e-celebs now. if AVGN had been born 30 years earlier he might have been a rock star.

>it's coming back with a fury

Go to bed, gramps. You earned it. Sleep tight. Rock is as played out as your high school sweetheart's pussy.

Trips of Truth. That is a good point. The biggest challenge a musician today would face is juggling a social media presence along with making great music. It's retarded to me that that's the case, but you can't deny that the internet is an infinitely superior way to get your stuff out there. Nobody listens to radio anymore and physical media is all but dead. We don't know what the next big societal upset will be, however. The internet changed everything, eventually some other new invention will too.

>AVGN Glam Metal Star
that woulda been something to see

Music is dead

The nuttiest nut in the last 15 years is Kanye and he's not a Millenial he's a boomer born in the 70s.

I bought it for like $14 bro wtf

Holy shit you are such a fucking dumbass retard. Every generation says this same retarded shit.

>There are still so many new materials that haven't been used as musical instruments
>Quantum computers will allow us to have bit rates and sample rates in the millions of terabytes!
>Crispr technology will allow future women to be born with musical talent!
Sound on other planets is guaranteed to be different!

So don't lose hope MUSIC IS ALIVE AND GROWING