/prod/ - Music Production general

how do i eq? edition
old :

Attached: 1642692750573.png (1388x883, 527.86K)

Other urls found in this thread:

voca.ro/191Zx03x5T4F
voca.ro/1dG5iSZTMZDl
youtube.com/watch?v=qQVZdnfJqlk
vocaroo.com/1oWjEOasQr15
voca.ro/19Sizv5KeUwp
voca.ro/1oEMAsxppUbv
youtu.be/OvUJsu5w8IU?t=107
vocaroo.com/1hNffDPFXtgZ
vocaroo.com/15sQWjSRazOe
vocaroo.com/1hy3lAxAZkuO
voca.ro/1465HhpKNkTY
vocaroo.com/1ao7ztK8EZ1V
voca.ro/196rjvzkbFsF
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

i'm working on a track i called "run with a gun"
demo 1
>voca.ro/191Zx03x5T4F

this version is very chaotic and it's just a basic 140 bpm tempo, instrumentation and ragtime/swing genre.

demo 2
>voca.ro/1dG5iSZTMZDl

changes:
>simple double bass part added
>bongs added
>piano bass line is more ragtime and rhythmic
>added a second piano part that sounds pretty heroic/glamorous
>drums sound more jazzy

rate and stuff

doesn't sound good
git gud, too much stuff are wrong with it

also did you drop a reverb on that double bass?
don't put reverbs on basses

can we talk about music promotion?
it's a fucking nightmare to get views as an independant artist today, things were way easier the past decade.
share with us your strategies, any of you use bots for social medias to garner engagement?
what's your opinion on this? many big names used to do this, is there still dark horses like this now that platforms have catch up on this?

holy shit, I fucking suck at making melodies and chords on the piano roll. I can't play the keyboard either AAAAAAAAA. What fucking do? Keep sucking?

this sounds sort of like randomly generated ai music. is that your intention? am i the only real human on Yea Forums?

learn chords and scales retard

Keep sucking until you stop sucking and git gud,

>can't play the keyboard
What's your instrument?

Attached: 1650404114832.jpg (1200x985, 591.03K)

an isometric keyboard, a scaled keyboard, doing everything in only pentatonic minor. The Keystep 37 has a 'scale' option. A trick with the piano roll in Ableton is to add notes in your scale to it, lock them so they don't play, and then 'fold' the keyboard so that only the notes in your scale play. The point of a pentatonic scale is that the notes are all harmonious so you can't fuck up (not even intentionally for training purposes--it's training wheels, exactly what you need).
The point of an isometric keyboard is that any shape of keys you press is a particular chord and then you can move that shape to transpose the chord. It can be harder to play than a keyboard (if you're a pianist) because you can want to strike a chord that's hard to make with one hand, but if you're not performing and if you're not a pianist, go with it.
Keep sucking is an option but if you keep it up you'll memorize all this stuff eventually anyway. You don't need to not produce anything in the meantime over it.

>for training purposes
*musical purposes: youtube.com/watch?v=qQVZdnfJqlk

vocaroo.com/1oWjEOasQr15
Working on this track right now. Playing around with samples of bees and birds and I went for a kinda apocalyptic vibe. Got most parts it in place but I think I may still add some gritty guitar textures doubling some stuff.
Can't really hear if I balanced the mix right due to lack of monitors, which sucks.

> > > A U T O M A T E T E M P O < <

You talk about demo 1 or 2?

Two synthy noodles

1. voca.ro/19Sizv5KeUwp

2. voca.ro/1oEMAsxppUbv

why? tempo is supposed to stay constant, except if you do tempo change, which in that case the change is instant

why?

because i said so

I'm gonna do it so fuckyaauyooooouuu

enjoy disqualifying yourself from any dj set if you make edm as a starter

ppfffffssf hsfphsfphsfphphphphphpfshpshpsdivbzdvhop
actually this is based asf

This isn't even some crab shit but is there a point where talent stops? Sometimes there are people who seem like they were born to do one thing and they excel at it to insane degrees, but for most people we probably have some vague array of skills. Is there some kind of ceiling for intuition that keeps us from growing further that changes based on talent or do you think that it's possible to learn all presently available knowledge for a given skill and master it? Is it a matter of time or a matter of innate ability? I do the things I do because I think they're fun and that's the only justification I need but I can't help but wonder if I should also take the time to look for something that I'm truly good at just in case there's a field where I can truly contribute to the world in some way.

>Why are you posting this in /prod/
Cause it's the only thread that I visit on here lol

I think we are limited by ourselves, like, our own nature determines the sort of ideas we have and how we follow them through. But also, awareness transforms that cycle, and we can go anywhere. But where do we go? Where do you want to go? You'll always be balancing between the boundless capability of your imagination and the absoluteness of your physiology, and the world's physics, and reality of situations. Yeah people have constraints and niches. But people are also really adaptable. You know, Music can be so many things. Virtuoso talent is one thing. Maybe we do have a certain Telos. What can you do besides follow yourself? I dunno man I'm high

I firmly believe in the "hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard" thing but obviously when talent works hard that's when you get the top to god tier type people- "legend" tier is more right place right time or luck of having good ideas etc

Everybody has a "ceiling" but I think most people far, far overestimate its influence on where they end up because its easier to believe that ceiling is the reason rather than their work ethic etc.

*However,* not reaching that ceiling can also be do to things that aren't about your musical ability at all: in current year, and moving forward, the ability to teach yourself and find information is the single most critical skill you can have in any field; those freak talent kids that have been popping up the past few years? Sure some of them may be talented but I guarantee it's going to become more common because they're good at what I just mentioned (this should be regarded as both liberating in its democratizing nature but also a sign that competition will only grow more fierce of course).
Other obstacles of course include time, mental/physical health, economic ability etc.

... and lastly, a broader topic: musical ability and actually having an aesthetic goal or statement to make don't overlap 100%, and your ability to express it in a meaningful way has a lot more to do with linking your "emotional" intelligence.

That said, I believe in hard work and self-analysis and the "talent" thing is a bullshit excuse to not try.
Delving into other arts is a good idea imo but I think ultimately you should stick to what you enjoy- the shit's going to be hard work either way so why wouldn't you pick your favorite field

Attached: 1583127653294.gif (466x323, 1.17M)

Trying to recreate this simple lead in serum youtu.be/OvUJsu5w8IU?t=107 please help

So far I've got

Triangle/Saw
Square AHDSR
Narrow Filter in the Mid Frequencies
Saw Down LFO

FX: 1/8 delay + Reverb, Dist

It doesn't have the tube/wooden sound; so close yet so far.

Attached: 1636212189685.png (1008x811, 622.9K)

No Sub, No Noise, default ENV, sorry for bad crop

yes, and at the end: some e-thot on twitch streams your music for free, while she demands more money for her content (pressing her booba together and doing yoga)

Attached: EqNCzS-XIAAinN1 (1).jpg (680x384, 50.61K)

I think I flanged it too hard
vocaroo.com/1hNffDPFXtgZ

weird I like it. I'd eq it down at around 1k in the middle of the song it gets pretty sharp

I really like it, that bee/fly recording is great, although I don't know about these birds if you want to have a grim, apocalyptic vibe.
Definitely would pirate it.

>don't put reverbs on basses
on bass frequencies
mids very much need it

Double tracking. Recording it live twice or duplicating the original and offsetting it (what some might call "fake doubling"). Which one do you choose?

changing the key to this and adding a catchy riff on top of it, RATM-style
vocaroo.com/15sQWjSRazOe

coming off the grinder from the steam handle for a bit
vocaroo.com/1hy3lAxAZkuO
speak how you wish on this

Ideas on what to add on the 2nd verse / improving the drop/chorus?
voca.ro/1465HhpKNkTY

Yes this is OK but the keys are not very exciting. Would rather remove them and replace them with something that evolves more, like guitar feedback, maybe a jazzy e-piano improv

JUST MOVE THE FILTERS UNTIL IT SOUNDS GOOD, BRO

What would you say is essential for music production other than the basic stuff (midi keyboard, daw, vsti)? Is there any sort of gear that you can't do without?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 129.31K)

yeah a mouse

Always have :^)

Think everything can be done on a laptop, but some tools are useful (like that push 2). Depending on what youre doing pads, buttons, sliders, keyboard, etc

>he doesnt slowly increase the tempo

why increase?
why not decrease?
why not do both?
shut the fuck up tryhard

>voca.ro/1oEMAsxppUbv
fun actually
what filters are you using?

Thank you for this. Well said...

>believing in limits

>he didnt spend 5 years studying every pentatonic permutation

>he doesnt have friends and a band with people who also have friends to book shows selling tickets to your friends and and the friends of their friends

>ppfffffssf hsfphsfphsfphphphphphpfshpshpsdivbzdvhop
>enjoy disqualifying yourself from any dj set if you make edm as a starter
it's not great for EDM indeed. DJs like to set the tempo and often slowly go up, also depending on the audience.
A song with two distinct tempos may be welcome (say, when building a set), but in most scenarios, it's not and will just get skipped over. That's a thing.

idk anything abt music production or w/e but why does that bit dip down instead of just being flat like picrel. is it even a noticable difference

Attached: explain pls.png (238x120, 27.55K)

enormously user
bend it the other way

i just saw it scrolling by and wanted to ask. ty

imo if you're not interested in doing live shows and just want to sell music, make music for short films/youtubers/video games. It's not easy selling music on its own without investing a ton of money in marketing or just getting lucky.

Is there a way to get audacity .aup files to show their length in the file properties metadata? It's kind of a hassle opening them up to see exactly how much they contain, even with descriptive filenames.

The real redpill is knowing that there are multiple sweet spots where it just "sounds good"

Oh, I could just edit the filename to add the length there. Still kind of a pain to do for hundreds of files.

the drop around 3k is made to leave room for the bass grit

vocaroo.com/1ao7ztK8EZ1V

I dont have any musical experience i.e. I cant play instruments and ive never took any production courses but ive somehow gotten worse over time. A year ago I could make stuff like this which at least had some form of structure. now anything I make is so shit I have to close the DAW without saving

wow it's almost like you need to work everyday

voca.ro/196rjvzkbFsF

If anyone has any ideas im all ears

i dont like working everyday though I have no work ethic. IMGMI (im not going to make it)

>messed up the acronym
Kek

>want to upgrade PC
>either I buy a 16gb ram 1tb SSD M1 Mac mini and get the opportunity to finally use Max MSP fully without retarded errors (working with PPOOLL is one of my dreams) but I miss out on 90% of software cracks
>or i build a Ryzen APU windows pc, get access to all the cracked software, have 32gb ram which would work a lot better in case i wanna utilize a lot of omnisphere or kontakt but i'll never be able to use PPOOLL
suffering.

how do i get better at programming drums?