>2022
local storage music vs streaming music?

Attached: aa53683a96a23571867f1eafa0d845a1.gif (625x469, 636.47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

slsknet.org/news/comment/1520#comment-1520
navidrome.org/
navidrome.org/demo/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Streaming is too convenient not to do.

Definitely streaming for music, but local storage for all other forms of media

For music you've already listened to and like and just want to relisten to, physical/local music is always the way to go. But if you even sort of like listening to new albums and discovering new music, streaming is TOO convenient to argue against unless you're arguing under some gay elitist hipster mindset.

For music I really REALLY like, storage in the highest quality possible, for anything else streaming.

FLAC/AAC for the stuff I like, youtube for the disposable shit. Spotify is for subhumans.

I literally never ever stream music

Spotify is best for music discovery. Their auto generated mixes are really good.

I was a local storage man until my computer died and I took the streamingpill
now I use spotify and download whatever I want that isn't on spotify. it was fun to root around on blogs and build a library but at this point I've already done that a lot and Spotify has more than what I could easily store. Plus I have honestly found some good shit from their algorithm.
>for the disposable shit
bro why do you listen to music you think sucks lmao

at my computer, it's always local storage. however, i can't really upload my music to my phone anymore, so i've had to get into streaming for the first time.

the system i'm working with is, i'll check stuff out on bandcamp/spotify/wherever and if i like it, i'll dl it to my local storage, that way i get to keep it (and it also helps me keep track of what i've listened to, it's nice to sometimes browse my library and see an album i haven't heard in ages).

if you're a small artist or somebody local, i'll buy your shit on bandcamp. if i suspect you have a million dollars or it's an album that came out more than 10 years ago, i'll just soulseek it.

Attached: 1631819065778.jpg (870x790, 276.92K)

this is the way

Local. If you stream, you're cattle.

>Spotify is best for music discovery
it just recommends me shit i've already listened to

half of my music isn't on spotify and i refuse to give youtube money directly. no reason not to use local, especially now that I use soulseek.

> Upload from your computer
>To your smartphone
What did he mean by this?

Attached: j97sl6qPwtYKLkK9j-ylXG8LIQvzSgTK4vY7QRKl0C4.png (480x480, 198.43K)

Consider getting a rpi or similar single board computer and running an airsonic server so you can stream your local shit when you're on the go. That's what I do for the stuff that isn't on spotify.

i just play youtube mixes a lot of the time. some of the more recent uploads are pretty high-quality

like my smartphone doesn't have a sd slot. and every time i try to connect my phone to my computer to just manually pass music onto my phone's memory, the program stalls and crashes. so i've just learned to use spotify and bandcamp for streaming.

Sell that trash and buy with the trash money then a smartphone that supports this fundamental feature.

local storage at home
streaming when im out

Also... you stream Bandcamp stuff?

I use 99% from Soulseek.
1% Bandcamp albums that I love and adore and downloaded.

I use Mozilla with Addons on Android for listening to new music.
No ads, screen off.

Attached: 1651684604318.jpg (1024x738, 98K)

Local because I like owning my music.

PMP

this and not being watched and tracked

I live in a place with longass internet clampdowns by the govt, therefore, it's local storage for me

why AAC over MP3? to save space?

based. I do this too except FLAC/MP3 320kb

i do both like a normal person

local storage for the artists I don't want to financially support or albums I really really like and enjoy in their highest quality
streaming for rest

Attached: 1553861163165.jpg (751x976, 377.17K)

youtube is lower bitrate than spotify, and the interface is worse...

I downlod all my music from with Soulseek. Great program and I can find everything in flac.

Not him, but AAC is a better format than MP3 if you want to save space and still have auditory transparency with the FLAC/PCM. opus is the best but doesn't necessarily have the same compatibility, so AAC is a decent fallback. I use opus 128 and aac 256 vbr.
Seconding slsk. I like nicotine+ as a client.

Local storage with proper backups.
It's the only way to listen to $artist after all their songs are removed for having a different opinion on $topic in $current_year.

local at home, streaming on the go

What's better in Nicotine+? Does the search finally works properly?

ok thanks, i have a fair amount of hard drive storage since i dont download/ rip lossless. I have thought about mass converting them to AAC to fit more on my phone without itunes having to convert the mp3s every transfer. Could u elaborate on what auditory transparency is?

go out to the forest and camp.
stream your music
uh oh
be on a boat fishing offshore
stream your music
uh oh

"auditory transparency" just means that it is extremely doubtful you will be able to tell the difference between the lossless FLAC and the lossy AAC or opus. The bitrates I suggested for each format are more than enough overhead.
If you don't believe me and want to test this yourself, you can try the component for foobar (not sure about other players) called foo_abx. This will allow you to normalize and double blind compare the two tracks and see if you can really hear a difference between the lossy compressed and the lossless.
If you intend on archiving the music you listen to you should still go with FLAC obviously.
What problems do you have with the search function in the qt client? Nicotine+ just has a modern UI and is more functional for the most part imo.
If they wanted to destroy slsk they would have done so ages ago. Nothing is ever getting removed, it's simply not popular enough anymore now that streaming exists. If you prefer organization and cataloguing for official releases there's always private trackers like OPS and RED but they come with a lot of autism and other bullshit that slsk doesn't have.

You want both ideally

Just the searching is not the best. Sometimes I can't find an album that is two words long and I only write one.

Streaming is based. Local storage is based.
(((streaming))) is a scam.

See, iTunes Library sharing which has been a thing since like 2005 was streaming. You could stream audio to any PC over your network without an internet connection. There are plenty of local streaming alternatives.

Don't blame the technology blame the big tech companies trying to make everything a service.

FUCK streaming websites.
>wanna hear a song
>try to search for it
>unavailable but they have the remaster with shit quality haha
Unironically the death of music. You can't even tell people "Hey listen to this song" and expect them to not hear an absolutely butchered remaster of it because most original recordings are not on streaming sites and they all prefer shit remastered editions and of course they never label them as a remaster they just say it's Bandname - Song Name from Album without saying it's a remaster.

I don't think I've ever run into that issue, but I do know certain keywords are blocked from the age when the music industry still cared about p2p file sharing.
See slsknet.org/news/comment/1520#comment-1520

Both. Small synchronized transcoded subset for offline play, Flac main library at home and have it streamed through navidrome or similar for outside use. Literally 30% of my library is not available on streaming platforms.
Quality is lesser and it's riddled with garbage"remasters" and other fuckery. Using commercial streaming is shooting yourself in the foot and paying for the privilege.

Bit of both. I have spotify and YouTube for convenience, with my phone I can sync it with my TV, Playstation, and other electronics for wireless access to the speakers they are connected to. Very convenient and good for exploring and discovering new music.

Anything I find that I particularly enjoy I will pirate/torrent it in the highest quality possible in a lossless file. I have a 512GB sd card in my phone as my shitty phone has only 32GB and some albums are over a gig lol so it fills up quickly. Also a couple of hard drives for my overall collection and back ups.

I enjoy FLAC/WAV music and, the highest possible quality the better. I have Sennheiser HD600s which make it possible to really tell the difference between mp3/aac and shit compared to lossless files.

Lossless is definitely better, but streaming is very convenient. For me especially for connecting to other devices like my TV and Playstation. Playstation is good because Spotify is integrated into the software and can be used in the background while playing games

>I have Sennheiser HD600s which make it possible to really tell the difference between mp3/aac and shit compared to lossless files
I very much doubt this desu but w/e.
If you really want the best of both worlds, keep all your music as FLAC on disc and do what I suggest here . Airsonic/navidrome even transcodes on the fly to opus so you don't need to store 2 copies of the same thing.

Here's what I'm talking about if anyone is curious just so you don't have to google:
navidrome.org/
And here's a demo of the web client:
navidrome.org/demo/

i have an ipod 5th gen with a mod to have 256gb sd storage, so i store anything that i have heard before and like on it. the dac is nice compared to the hissy one on my phone and it has a new battery in it so it lasts way longer. plus i like knowing i can go for a walk and not need to have a phone; theres something nice about decoupling from the internet completely and knowing that the entire world isnt able to reach you, either emails or calls or whatever. so local storage all the way, but streaming when im working on my pc

I stream stuff to check it out then I store it if I like it
Simple as

You can download music for offline listening you fucking boomer.

Something I forgot to mention, for AAC encoder matters. qaac is widely considered the best.

>Stream music from storage at home
Nah but really though streaming platforms are too convenient when it comes to quickly checking out new stuff.

Attached: 66f-1.jpg (680x763, 33.41K)

Streaming is way more convienent but if you get into really obscure shit your only choice is local

You can stream local too, see

plex chads rise up

its like people who say they can see the difference of 8K screens when 4K is the maximum detail limit of human sight.
total bullshit

and how long before its monotonous bullplop.playlist
i'm not talking more than a few days.
>you can download shows off netflix too fuckface but are you gonna watch the same 8 shows over and over and over?

I put all my music on CDs. I never listen to music outside of my house or car.

After 30days they delete themselves zoomie
thats some collection huh?

Is there a practical way to adblock spotify without paying for the premium yet?

Local because streaming can be retarded sometimes. YT for discovery

local + youtube vanced (rip) whenever you're handling normie requests

There's no such thing as local storage vs streaming, if you're even minorly into music you'll eventually find something you want to listen to that's not gonna be streamable, esp for electronic and older genres. There's uses for both

foobar2000 has an extension which can rip from spotify i think, which is nice. there's also a modded android client for spotify i think