1>2>3

1>2>3

Goddamn the last season sucks. I’m not a fan of capeshit and action movies, goddamn I love me some Tarr, but there is literally nothing going on without any enjoyable tension. You already know that they got nothing, so you don’t have nothing to look forward to. It fucking goes and goes forever just to have a little retarded cliffhanger at the end of the episode which goes nowhere anyway. There’s no atmosphere, Hayes’s character is getting tiresome and as much as I loved the other detective he’s starting to piss me out too. What a waste of a good format. Pizza is a hack. Only interesting character was the father.

Attached: 68BC2CFC-AB95-4A10-BB7A-D06B9ACE31EC.jpg (405x270, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hvb1O1uGOKM
youtube.com/watch?v=wbKJt1NQtZE
youtube.com/watch?v=2o88vhwn4u4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

at least season 2 had great memes.
Season 3 is a fucking meme void
>that dumb fox from the first episode
>I'm thinking the word
So disappointing. I'm more disappointed about the lack of memes than the lack of kino

yep, stopped watching 3 after 5-6 eps. Can't even engage you as much as the cluster fuck that was S2.
Farrell, and to a lesser extent, Vaughn were very watchable. Ali just can't pull off whatever they intended his character to be, and he's not a bad actor. Dorff outacted and was more interesting than him even.

I really like the direction of the show this season. It's dripping in atmosphere and uses some really interesting ideas like the dementia ridden old Hays. S3 was never going to satisfy everyone and it sure as shit was never going to beat S1 but I have been really enjoying it for what it is.

Attached: thinkit.png (1284x738, 832K)

Exactly. The atmosphere in this season is fantastic. The gloomy late November crime scene in 1980 to more police procedural setting in the 1990 to more surreal, jumbled mess of the present.

Season 2 was a cluster fuck and generic. It was like rejected script from The Sheild

>It's dripping in atmosphere
but it's a pale imitation of S1's atmosphere. Just spooky Southern place. They should cancel TD or let Pizzeria actually have a few years to write a season, and get a good director like S1. Or else every other season will blow too.

Yea exactly, I love this season just for its tighter narrative focus alone. The characters we have are well developed and interesting to watch throughout all timelines. Season 2 had way too many to keep up with and felt jumbled as a result

I want to watch it now because apparently marty and rust are coming back, is it worth it?

I think it's absolute bullshit that Dorff wasn't in any of the marketing or posters for the show because they really wanted to push muh black lead
In retrospect it's as if in s1 it was just Rust in the promo material

>but it's a pale imitation of S1's atmosphere
I disagree. The Louisianan bayou is much different from the Arkansas autumn gloom. The show does a good job of keeping all the seasons distinguished just compare these to see what I mean

youtube.com/watch?v=hvb1O1uGOKM

youtube.com/watch?v=wbKJt1NQtZE

youtube.com/watch?v=2o88vhwn4u4

Yeah, I haven't seen him in much else, but he's a legit good actor. Did a better job than Ali's Rust imitation.

I think it's a stretch. Gloomy AR is too close to spooky southern Louisiana, so it invites comparison, and S3's atmosphere just can't hold a candle to S1's.

>Gloomy AR is too close to spooky southern Louisiana, so it invites comparison, and S3's atmosphere just can't hold a candle to S1's.
I think it's all a matter of taste. I really love S3's atmosphere.

>Ali's Rust imitation.
What? Rust imitation? They are nothing alike

SI wasn’t gloomy at all. It was like summer in Louisiana.

S3 ie erything is grey and gloomy as fuck in hicktown Arkansaw during the 80 timeline

I admit it's a better atmosphere than 98% of TV, just forces me to think of S1's much superior atmosphere.

>Ali
>Rust imitation
???

To be fair man season 1 is arguably the greatest season of a show in TV history. I didn't expect season 3 to much it but I'm really enjoying it for what it is. Definitely tons better than S2

>muhfugga back in nam dey say thymesflatcircle nuhmean?

>that shot in the last episode of the car pulling up to the abandoned barn where they interrogate the crooked cop
damn that was pretty good

They're both above average investigators, trackers, good when physical conflict occurs, and Hays often does a "deep" introspective look or even "existentially concerned" look that is an obvious call back to Rust. Except McConaughuehue did all this stuff better and more convincingly.

It's very obvious how popular Rust was, and they want some aspect of him in this seasons. Otherwise, Hays wouldn't be doing his 1000-mile stare and introspective shtick. You're very naive if you think that's not intentional and BECAUSE of Rust's popularity.

spooky, degradated, sure there are better words to describe S1 LA, but it's clear S3 is trying to rekindle aspects of S1 after S2's backlash.

It is the best TV after Sopranos and Deadwood, I'll give you that. I don't hate S3 either, it's just unfortunate how HBO couldn't keep up better with S1's quality.

..diskase..demkeyse..isallicahthiabouh...

So what's with the gay bar thread? Tom went to one, and Harris made some gay comment to Hayes about his body. Is there some connection here?

>Hays wouldn't be doing his 1000-mile stare and introspective shtick. Y
You are basing this introspecting trait on a look? What? Rust and Hays are nothing alike. Their dialogue is completely different, the dynamic with their partner is nothing alike, for fucks sake Rust is an atheist edgelord while Hays has a full family. I really don't see how you can view the two of them alike

What the fuck is a cluster fuck you idiot s2:was amazing

We gotta find them keedz, man.

You're just naive and unobservant. Hays is "in his own head" and "introspective" regardless of particular beliefs. And that decision was made because of Rust's popularity.

He's nothing like Farrel's, Dorff's, Harrelson's, or Kitsch's police characters, but they could've made Hays more like a "normal" detective, instead of a black second-rate Rust. It's not even arguable really--it's obvious

I agree. It may not be as original but it's a more streamlined and focus story than S2, and with better characters. Contrarians who still cling to the "S2 was good" meme will never stop whining.

>They're both above average investigators
I agree with you except for this part. I'm feeling that they've decided to emphasize again and again that Hays is not the best detective around precisely to avoid comparisons between him and Rust.

Sounds like reddit

Hays seems more than competent than average, I think, but not as good/smart as Rust, sure.

No I disagree and I think the connections you made are shaky at best. The charecters are nothing alike in my opinion.

Was there a single memorable in this shit season? At least s2 had so-bad-it's-good scenes here and there, the memes were great.

Season 3 is basically forgettable, and unless they really nail the ending and come up with some crazy revelation that makes people want to go back to the beginning and rewatch it all, this is prob the worst season yet. Pizza is a talentless hack that rode off the coattails of great acting and directing from s1 and hasn't done anything good since.

was rust really THAT god tier of a detective? he doesn't really end up doing much and Marty is the one who ends up breaking the case

these are very basic archetypes you're talking about. yea, both rust and hays are the cerebral detective type but they way the characters are executed and interact couldn't be more different. it's fine to like rust and s1 better but they aren't the same.

I feel like most people are saying it's bad because they're comparing it to season 1

If this was just a completely separate show without the "True Detective" title it would just be a kino detective show

>Was there a single memorable in this shit season?
Shoutout, old man hays and Roland meeting, when they deal with the chief security guy. I also think a lot of the scenes with older Hays and his dementia are pretty good

If you separate from s1 it's still a mediocre, boring show. These "chill detective vibes" retards ITT keep spouting doesn't matter for shit when there's no substance behind the atmosphere.

not an argument. hays is written to be introspective and give 1000-mile stares because Rust was popular. End of story
Of course he was. He got 90% of the evidence that broke the case, and his confession rate was infamous statewide.
The likelihood they would've written Hays as a "cerebral" type is simply much lower if not for Rust's popularity.

I already made an argument that you did nothing to refute
>Their dialogue is completely different, the dynamic with their partner is nothing alike, for fucks sake Rust is an atheist edgelord while Hays has a full family.
I don't know why you act as if your the final authority on the matter. The connections you made like mentioned are basic archetypes. The connections you draw are pretty weak in my opinion

When Hayes said

>That's enough for today

for the 6th time I got up and walked around the room and clapped

Hays is also a man so that must mean he’s copying Rus. Hays drives a car, so that must mean he’s like Rus. Hays has a gun, so he’s definitely like Rus.

Seriously, get the fuck out of here you fangirl

Season 1 was great due to the uniqueness of the main character, the vague hints of the supernatural, and the context of a shitty town full of broken lives where everyone seems to be hiding a secret. If they knew what they were doing, they'd keep these main traits and come up with a new scenario each season that would allow them to explore these elements again and again. Something like pic related, an entire trilogy of movies with similar themes and settings but no direct connection between themselves, and that are different enough to keep you interested.

The problem is they're trying to make the crimes and the police investigation the focus of the show, and the truth is that the process of interviewing people and finding new clues is just not interesting enough for a 8-episode season. You need the cool characters and the dreadful atmosphere of season 1 to carry it, and you need the idea of a potential supernatural reveal to make us give a shit about a murder for eight hours. Everything that happens in this season just feels out of proportion with the banality of the crime (is a missing kid really worthy three timelines and all that drama?) and the fact that they keep "teasing" the involvement of powerful people but waited until the grand finale to get to it just made the previous episodes feel flat, and like too much tension was building up for nothing.

Attached: 3138920.jpg (1280x720, 222K)

No one else in the three seasons does the celebral, existentially angsty shtick except for Hays and Rust. There's just a clear connection that that was a central part of S1, and they wanted to inject some of what people like about S1 into S3, after the poor reception of S2.

They would've written Hays differently, like all the other cops are, otherwise.

>No one else in the three seasons does the celebral, existentially angsty shtick except for Hays and Rust.
Vince Vaughn in season 2

A little, but not half as much as Rust and Hays.

>s1 is about kids being kidnapped and a large conspiracy to cover it up
>5 years later
>let's do it again!

Except with shittier directing and writing, bravo Pizza.

A little? Would you like me to post one of his monologues? Come on dude your grasping at straws here. I agree with you they emulated S1 in the more personable investigation and pedophile shit but Rust and Hays are nothing alike

They wrote Hays to be introspective and do those super thoughtful stares completely independently of S1's success and Rust's personality and similar behavior. That's what you believe?

Season 2 was pretty bad too but I agree. Nic Pizza needs to hang it up.

>They wrote Hays to be introspective and do those super thoughtful stares
This is the crux of your evidence? Like I said shaky at best dude.

Nah, S1 was so good that he needs to keep making TV, but they just need to get their shit together with a good director, right set of actors, etc.

But it is possible that he only had one good story in him and S1 was a "fluke" sort of.

if you told me a month ago I was gonna be engaged as fuck with the vampire asshole from blade i wouldnt believe you, hope he gets more work after this. He's like a young more likeable and better acting Jorah Mormont

Attached: 1547853833194.jpg (654x560, 25K)

FUCK bros episode 1 had me excited thinking the rest of the season was actually gonna go somewhere and 6 episodes later barely anything interesting has happened.
literally all the personal scenes bar the porch scene with Hays and Roland have been sleepers, when in season 1 there was genuinely interesting drama between Rust, Marty and Maggie.
the case is boring as fuck and the stakes don't feel high at all.

FUCK

But you didn't disagree. I'm not saying their partner dynamics and personal beliefs are similar, like the other user brought up, but it's obvious way they want Ali to look like he's thinking about the deepest shit in the universe: because Rust was.

>But you didn't disagree
No I've disagreed with you repeatedly and I think you're wrong.

This show has always been about atmosphere and characterization. Plot was secondary. S1 plot wasn’t this amazing shit. It was basically the plot to the Texas Chsinsaw. Wich is interesting since both McConaugheyand Dorff were both in TCM

So they wrote Hays' character completely independently of Rust's mannerisms? If S1 didn't exist, Hays would be written the same way? okay man, okay.

Exactly. For me it's 1>>>>>>.
Pizzi is the definition of one trick pony

pleb

3 > 1 > 2

Farrell, and no matter how cringey, Vaughn are endlessly watchable compared to S3

>So they wrote Hays' character completely independently of Rust's mannerisms?
Like I said season one definitely impacted three but not in terms of characters. I think Hays was written independent from Rust

Would it be smarter to just let one guy direct the entire season again?

Attached: 8590.png (624x704, 70K)

Being some deep thinker is as cliche as you can get in procedural shows. Is Sherlock Holmes a rip off of Rust

They're gonna can the whole thing anyways so it doesn't matter.

100%. Different directors worked on The Sopranos, but the writing, characterization, and acting were so strong, it didn't matter. TD desperately needs another Fukunaga.
then we'll respectfully disagree. Enjoy your night.

I’ll add that detective having a deep narrative is classic noir. Because based off noir books written in first person like Phillip Marlowe. Also why noir films are often first person narrated

Attached: 1530345614435.jpg (499x499, 26K)

When they're both lead characters, who do the same job, in the same series, yes, it's fair to question whether they're copying character traits.

1>3>2
Season 2 was fucking terrible. The only good thing was Vince posting

Season 2 contrarian plebs are the worst

Fukunaga literally made the first season good so yes, they should have probably got a good director to do the entire season.

Farrell's a good actor. His character was engaging too. Outside of Vaughn and Farrell though, I agree S2 was a mess.

Considering season 1 was the only good season that is why he needs to move on. He's had plenty of time and a good director behind him.

Vince and the other characters outside of the gay cop are far more interesting than el negro and boring white cop we got this time around. I would agree the story is a bit better this season.

No, he's very good, but everything came together perfectly. The writing, actors, setting, subject matter, etc. all just melded great. They haven't been able to capture any of that in S2 and 3, not just the good directing.

True, it's just sad we got such good TV and then S2 and 3