Was grunge really that big in the early 90s?

I've heard many gen-xers here claim that it isn't true, that glam was still alive and well, and that alt-rock and grunge was nothing more than a niche fad

Attached: grunge.jpg (1620x1080, 234.91K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bB69ZfWoKqE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Def Leppard and Poison were still doing well in the early 90s.

Nirvana, Metallica, GNR and probably Aerosmith were the biggest rock bands in the 90s. Everybody from age 10 to 60 listened to their music.

Record company people with punk youth forced it. Mediocre grunge bands and old new wave stars were in MTV all the time. Some day they saw that it doesn't really sell and killed it.

Alice in Chains was in heavy rotation on MTV (at least around 1995)

Nirvana, AIC and STP were super popular. I remember people really liked pearl jams first record and didnt give a shit about anything they did after. People really liked black hole sun but didnt really give a shit about soundgarden, and Smashing Pumpkins was big with high schoolers. I didnt and still dont know anyone that was into Hole and the rest of grunge is completely ignored unless you want to add in post-grunge knock off bands.

I always found it weird that grunge is considered this really big thing that dominated the charts that spelled doom for traditional rock and metal but it was popular for like 4 years and people only listened to a couple bands. Shitty knock off bands like candlebox, creed, fuel and nickleback were way bigger and their popularity lasted much longer.

Who are you trying to impress, lying on the internet like this?

Idk about the second part but it seems like the Grunge scene wasn't that big. There were only a handful of bands. Then you have emo where you literally have over a hundred bands but it didn't go mainstream till the 2000s.

look at nirvana's chart record and ask again
literally took the world by storm and I say this as not a massive grunge fan

oldfag here, when i was in middle school in the mid 90s every faggot tried to look like Kurt Cobain the long faggy blonde hair, the flannel shirts or other clothes that made you look like you worked at a gas station. i was ahead of my time and was a wigger before wigging became cool in the late 90s early 2000s. all the same kids who made fun of me for being a hiphophead (DUDE!!! YOURE WHITE!!!) were all listening to rap and talking like wiggers 4 years later, of course by then i hated rap because it was mainstream with the normie kids now, i always had to stop liking things once they became popular with the normalfags

this more or less...but how did you forget to mention Sonic Youth, they were big and had Airplay on MTV

I don't disagree, some grunge bands were mainstream and they certainly sold a lot of albums, Alice in Chains included, but they weren't that well known outside of alternative/rock circles except for Nirvana. Every soccer mom remembers Smells Like Teen Spirit, Unforgiven, Don't Cry or Crazy but I'm not so sure about Man in the Box.
>clothes that made you look like you worked at a gas station
I don't think this is a Kurt thing, Axl Rose had a similar style. This is just how that generation dressed like.

grunge was sent to it's grave alongside kurt cobain

Hate the term grunge it was just 90s alternative rock. Most people got bored of flashy hair metal and they were depressed so alternative rock was a good escape and these bands kicked ass

lol Gen X hair metal fags are morons, they're the literal equivalent of Millennials who are into nu metal and emo-pop, or zoomers who are into mumble trap. Glam metal is manufactured bubblegum rock. There was so much good music in the 80s and 90s, if you were into music and had an IQ above 90 you'd be into grunge, industrial, goth, death metal, black metal, hardcore, crust punk, thrash metal, sludge metal, doom metal, trip hop, Britpop, shoegaze, alt-dance, jangle pop, post-hardcore, house... there's so much good shit from that era, you'd literally have to be retarded to choose to focus on glam metal out of all of it

Fucking weird that Aerosmith were the 70s buttrock band to have a huge career revival at the time.

all that anyone be allowed to remember will be the Riot Grrrl bands. Everything else will be erased from our craniums.

What did daddy doooOooo

Except Axl handled his fame and animosity like a man and good everyone to get fucked

maybe like 1990-1992 glam was still doing numbers but when nevermind really hit in 1992 all the glam bands attempted to do grunge, the underground became overground for a minute until the record labels got it back with bands like STP/Bush and the like, then grunge morphed into butt rock and it was all over by 1995/1996, it as a flash in the pan but it was big and real for a minute, both things can be true where the glam metal bands didnt die totally but grunge was also massively popular, you're just referencing some people's opinions and not everyone has the same experience, they also sound slike butthurt faggots that grunge killed their gay genre so there's that

Ok grandpa thanks for the story

>Was grunge really that big in the early 90s?

I lived in the Seattle area at the time so my view may be a bit bias. Grunge was huge. The four bands in the picture all had #1 albums and 2 of them have albums that went diamond.
Mediocre "grunge" band like Candlebox and Silverchair had multi platinum albums. The Breeders of all bands had a platinum album. That shows how big the genre was.

>glam was still alive and well
No. It was banished from MTV. Look at bands like Poison, Slaughter, Motley Crue and Warrant. They went from multi platinum to barley being able to get a gold record.

Poison was done after Nevermind broke through in 91.

Attached: 1592069201164.jpg (982x689, 101.84K)

youtube.com/watch?v=bB69ZfWoKqE

Yeah it was niche but the media machine promoted it 24/7

Attached: c911b067c8c7558cb5d5e4ce0ffce6c5.jpg (736x552, 48.49K)

>Was grunge really that big in the early 90s?
Yes.
>I remember people really liked pearl jams first record and didnt give a shit about anything they did after.
Retard. I have a bunch of music magazines from the 90s. Pearl Jam is in 60-70% of them. They stopped making music videos but Eddie Vedder still was on the cover of Time magazine 1 week after Pearl Jam released their second album.

Attached: eddie Vedder Time Magazine.jpg (400x527, 52.5K)

i def remember in my middle school yearbook when i was like 4th grade around 95 or so tons of the upperclassmen (eighth graders) all had the Kurt Cobain look. after he died i think then they all moved onto the Green Day look, then the goth look became popular with certain ones for a while then by the time i got to high school thats when the wigger look really took over every kid in school

Eninem becoming huge i think was what made every white kid think he was black in my school suddenly in like 99 or 2000. i recall so many of them suddenly shaving their head short with the super almost white looking blonde he had around that time even as a kid i remmeber finding it super cringe when kids i was friends with suddenly had that look. i refused to go wigger or ever talk like that, watching Malibus Most Wanted is so accurate for how every kid i went to school with started acting like, they must look back at themselves with so much embarrassment now, i or at least i would hope so

Attached: wiggers.jpg (500x250, 31.66K)

this really isn't true. u went from nothing but this stuff to this stuff like disappearing practically overnight. the last holdouts were like guns and roses and aerosmith but they weren't exactly like the other hair metal. everything glam was just suddenly gone by like 91

I looked up the actual most popular songs and albums in the US (according to the Billboard charts) for 1991-1993, and here is what I found:

>1991 - Biggest singles:

>1. Bryan Adams - (Everything I Do) I Do It for You (from the soundtrack to 'Robin Hood')
>2. Paula Abdul - Rush, Rush
>3. Michael Jackson - Black or White
>4. Mariah Carey - Emotions
>5. Amy Grant - Baby Baby

>1991 - Biggest albums:

>1. Mariah Carey - Mariah Carey
>2. Garth Brooks - Ropin' the Wind
>3. Vanilla Ice - To the Extreme
>4. Metallica - Metallica
>5. Natalie Cole - Unforgettable

>1992 - Biggest singles:

>1. Boyz II Men - End of the Road
>2. Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You
>3. Right Said Fred - I'm Too Sexy
>4. Kris Kross - Jump
>5. Sir Mix-a-Lot - Baby Got Back

>1992 - Biggest albums:

>1. Garth Brooks - Ropin' the Wind
>2. Whitney Houston - The Bodyguard (soundtrack)
>3. Billy Ray Cyrus - Some Gave All
>4. Garth Brooks - The Chase
>5. Def Leppard - Adrenalize

>1993 - Biggest singles:

>1. Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You
>2. Mariah Carey - Dreamlover
>3. Meat Loaf - I'd Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That)
>4. Janet Jackson - That's the Way Love Goes
>5. UB40 - Can't Help Falling in Love

>1993 - Biggest albums:

>1. Whitney Houston - The Bodyguard (soundtrack)
>2. Garth Brooks - In Pieces
>3. Janet Jackson - janet.
>4. Eric Clapton - Unplugged
>5. Billy Joel - River of Dreams

'Grunge' is nowhere to be found.

Attached: 1648420860968[1].jpg (1500x1495, 244.62K)

limp bizkit and Korn etc

RUN DMC kept them relevant in teh late 80s. so thank them I guess.

>user discovers that the "pop" in "pop music" actually stands for "popular"

Lol user there are only even 2 rock titles in there and neither of them are alternative rock. REM and Nirvana were selling a ton, Nevermind was also released in September.
They were never mainstream unless you were a teenager or college aged. If you were either a kid or over say, 24-25, you either had never heard of Nirvana or only knew them in name. It's like people thinking Radiohead was high on the charts or the average person had ever heard of them in the 90s. Just a joke. At least Nirvana was a lot bigger and more mainstream than a band like RH but it was a slow burn. They built that fanbase over several years but yes, Smells Like Teen Spirit was played like every 5 or 6 songs on MTVs alternative nation and alternative or college radio. They got insanely big and were a big reason alt rock and alt metal started taking over completely in the rock category. We just called everything alternative, from REM, Nirvana, Tool, NIN, Pearl Jam, early RH, all just alternative. Because unsurprisingly.. it was alternative from the mainstream(at the time)!

Millennial hands types these words

Class of 1998 here.

It was November Rain, Jeremy, Smells Like Teen Spirit and Soul Asylum on MTV all day long.

>vnr

U r gay bruh

Grunge, which had some great music in it IMO, definitely took over, though it only lasted for like a few years so you could consider it something of a fad....people like to always talk about how grunge killed glam, but nobody talks about how grunge died even quicker. I heard somebody on a podcast say "Marilyn Manson killed grunge" and while it wasn't just him, there definitely was a huge tonal shift including Manson that took over hard by the late 90's

Also it wasn't just glam that was affected, it was heavy metal as a whole...bands like Iron Maiden and Priest suffered bad in the 90s and wouldn't recover till the 00's, thrash bands became irrelevant and also tried shifting styles to fit in

Don't blame all Millennials. I am Millennials and I totally disagree with that poster, "hair metal" was one of the earliest styles of music I was drawn to and I think there is plenty good shit in it, that user is just a try hard who only likes fashionable "hip" genres

Attached: georgelynch.jpg (478x407, 22.26K)

yup definitely

I feel like the way we talk about this era is just so wrong and one dimensional. Early 90s grunge, art rock, indie rock, industrial, prog metal, etc were all getting mainstream traction around the same time and hair metal and glam finally just kind of gave way to all kinds of alternative rock, kids weren't so niche to be so stuck on genres but listened to Nirvana and Pearl Jam and Tool and NIN and REM and Green Day and RATM, RHCP, all at the same time. Grunge was definitely on top but Kurt died early and Pearl Jam was already heading in a different direction, they were never as edgy, STP was too rock star, Soundgarden wasn't quite big enough. Noone else was really ready to take over and every label was already close to knee deep in one hit or one album wonders that were just bastardized pop versions of grunge and were on to trying to do the same thing with more radio friendly versions of Tori Amos or PJ Harvey or Liz Phair while there was a huge hit in a different rock genre every other month. Was great. It wasn't this linear thing a lot of people pretend it was, it's just really good for headlines yk

i'm an older millennial (37), and from my perspective grunge seemed like the precursor to nu metal, for better or worse.

Pearl Jam broke the world record for most copies of an album sold in a single week (Vs in 1993) and it wasn’t broken until the Backstreet Boys released Millennium.

Axl saw grunge and Seattle scene coming so he reached out to Kurt and there was kind of a rivalry between Nirvana because Kurt rejected Axl. And a ton of bands Metallica and oasis guys were jealous of Kurt and said nasty stuff about him when he died cause Kurt was kind of the leader of the movement and he definitely was more popular than all those other bands after Nevermind

You know that grunge wasn't the only popular form of alternative rock in the 90s, right? Peole didn't only listen to these four grunge bands. And Nirvana didn't singlehandedly bring alt-rock into mainstream, this had been going on for a few years at that point. Nirvana just supercharged the process. The Cure's Lovesong went to #2 on the Hot 100 in 1989 for God's sake.

and vs still wasn't as influential as Ten

>You aren't cool unless you listened to *list of autistic word salad of gay ass music*

If this post isn't ironic I'm very concerned

As someone who experienced it first hand, Nirvana was huge. Most people didn't care about Soundgarden except for Black Hole Sun. I knew this kid Dave who talked endlessly about Pearl Jam. AiC was big with the dirtbag set. I liked quite a bit of it but eventually was more interested in the Melvins and The Jesus Lizard.

Yeah I kind of saw this as well, especially with fringe alt metal bands like Helmet, Faith No More and Machine Head

Sometimes I forget how stupidly popular garbage country is in America.

Yeah obviously it was more "alt rock is big" not just "grunge is big" but the whole glam vs grunge thing has been hammered into people's heads

It's funny how people have personal stakes in this decades later

Nirvana were the only of the big four bands to get critical praise. i don't think AIC were ever loved by critics.

Pearl Jam got media hype from the 45 year olds running those magazines because they were more accessible to boomers than Soundgarden.

they had a good hype machine and were marketable to soccer moms with their endless power ballads and Steven Tyler talking about how drugs fucked him over for years and don't use them.

Record labels absolutely cleaned house in the early 90s and dumped hair metal bands and lingering dadrock shit like Foreigner that were still inexplicably signed despite not having had an album that sold anything in years.

hip hop and rnb was waay bigger in the 90's.

underrated post

>5. Amy Grant - Baby Baby
I hate to say this was the best song on the list.

The Billboard was absolutely overrun with R&B in the 90s to the point where it could sometimes occupy 7 spots in the top 10, although most of it was pretty generic and forgettable.

Grunge's popularity got big in the early 00s once the world was introduced to the watered down grunge acts like Creed and Three Doors Down.

I don't know how people say Smells Like Teen Spirit was the biggest song of the 90s. I didn't even hear it until like 2002.

Bc when it came out it was in insanely heavy rotation on MTV and alt radio. I think the success of it (and Jeremy) was such a surprise to labels they started signing acts like fuckin crazy and it just killed everything that came before it. Kind of like what Sinead O Connor did for female artists. No more Taylor Daynes after her. There were a lot of surprise successes in the early 90s even with fringe acts that labels later capitalized on

Then you must have been living under a rock. Even my grandparents knew about Nirvana in the 90s.

There was a definite change in tone when labels got some young A&R guys who grew up on punk and had no use for the Warrants or Stevie Nickses of the world. It was pretty rapid to go from the Bangles and Belinda Carlisle to Tori Amos and Hole.

they still kept Mariah Carey as the token bubblegum chick

There was even a career resurrection of boomer folkshitters like James Taylor and Neil Young once grunge made being a back-to-nature guy with an acoustic guitar fashionable again.

>I've heard many gen-xers here claim that it isn't true, that glam was still alive and well
gen-xers are notorious contrarians. don't believe anything they say. if you want the truth, look at album sales numbers.

Grunge was big until the emo wave
All the bands with dead folks on radio and MTV all the time

And when the Nirvana best of + you know youre right, the thing went nuts

forgot Achy Breaky Heart one of the single worst songs of the early 90s