/OHG/ - Old-Head General #4.3

An Excuse to Discuss the Best Tribe Album edition

OHG is for discussion of classic, old-school, and "golden age" hip-hop. In other words, real rap music that's focused on lyrics and bars without any autotune "singing."

Previous "Threads"

/OHG/ #3

Attached: mm.jpg (1830x1830, 1.11M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/3CwKesc0lao
youtu.be/rmgcliPVjYg
youtube.com/watch?v=f-8g7pBoHB0
youtu.be/4IdpodnXbls?t=2613
youtu.be/EVNIZK1tRuo
youtube.com/watch?v=fTxmgLpYcy4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Native Tongues collective is top tier hip hop in terms of lyricism

Holy based

You start because there’s no way that record is in the same genius class as Peoples or Low End

Public Enemy’s Nation and Fear = best hip hop records of ALL TIME

>Peoples
Inferior MM
>Low End
Boring instrumentals. Only praised because "le epic just low end bass and drums muh innovative!!"

Attached: C'mon son.gif (320x180, 478.8K)

Thoughts on Skyzoo? He almost encapsulates the old school feel but it just feels like something's missing from his music. Still like him though
youtu.be/3CwKesc0lao

Attached: skyzoo.jpg (800x600, 66.14K)

Correct

>Boring instrumentals

Attached: F12DEB41-B736-4C93-A575-19CC2F4C42E1.gif (330x166, 2.24M)

I'd argue Paul's Boutique as the GOAT but all are top 5.

Also, There's a Poison Going On is a great late 90s PE record.

Two dead threads. I just wanna talk about muh Award Tour and muh Shook Ones II

Attached: Young-MF-DOOM-Zev-Love-X-of-KMD-Speaking-To-U.S.-Senate-on-Importance-of-Youth-Voting-Registration-0-31-screenshot.png (640x480, 334.24K)

Listening to The Chronic right now, why did they put all the good tracks in the back half of the album? The front half feels pretty generic apart from the famous singles.

I always thought that the album was front-loaded, never really liked the 2nd half outside of Rat Tat Tat Tat and the last 2 tracks

It's almost Summer, post your favorite G-Funk albums

Attached: 1533381136_south-central-cartel-all-day-everyday-remastered.jpg (1200x1200, 551.39K)

Attached: Front.jpg (1420x1401, 3.78M)

>God tier
Intro
Fuck wit Dre Day
Lil' Ghetto Boy
Lyrical Gangbang
The Roach
Bitches Ain't Shit
>Great tier
Let Me Ride
Nuthin' but a 'G' Thang
Stranded on Death Row
>Good/fine/why is this here tier
The rest

youtu.be/rmgcliPVjYg
trip-hop disappearing definitely wasn't good for old-school hip-hop

Why are we fighting over which album is better when all three are essential hip hop classics?

Fighting is gangster

stab your face with your nose bone.

agreed i get half way thru and turn it off.

Eazy did nothing wrong, fuck snoop dogg

So what can you do in the times which exist
You can't fake moves on your brother or your sis
But if your sis is a -, brother is a jerk
Leave 'em both alone and continue with your work
-vs-
Percussion isn't less
Ds wear the vest
Why they dodging bullets? you should be dodging Quest
-vs-
A Tribe Called Quest, you see we never half step
(So on your mark) get ready,
MC's be jetti
Me and Phifey be on ya like Veronica and Betty

ATCQ is my favorite rap group and for me these three are equally good. I recently also listened to We got it from here for the first time but I don't know, it's not bad rap, it's just not the same style. It sounds like something Gorillaz would do.

Attached: 1650996724946.jpg (255x205, 15.61K)

we got it from here is the best ATCQ album and I'm sick of pretending that its not

Attached: 1615951072645.jpg (315x368, 27.36K)

>aids infested nigga did nothing wrong
lol. jerry definately tagged him, with NO vaseline

tell me you know nothing about hip hop or ATCQ's back catalogue without saying it

>New music is bad!!!
Wow, progressive take there.

The great debate

Attached: topsters2(1).png (736x428, 303.23K)

>nice strawman.
new music is great- WGIFH wasnt even the best album out that year so it doesnt warrant praise as a great piece of new music, let alone against such a strong discography.

ps: it wasnt even the best native tongue album that year cos De La came out with anonymous nobody.

Beats by a light year. I like tracks on Love like Busta's Lament, but that album is so obviously Qtip being a control freak which made the group dissolve and lead to this classic.

youtube.com/watch?v=f-8g7pBoHB0

If their egos hadn't of clashed towards the end of their run, we would have had a lot more Tribe content.

Who dressed fruitier?

3k or Qtip?

Attached: gettyimages-666911670-2048x2048.jpg (2048x1365, 241.24K)

When did "head" become this new, hip slang?

It's just black vernacular. Oldhead refers to like an older mentor/person, but can be derogatory. Like if a teenager or younger person would call an older person an "oldhead". The way its used its kinda like the way nigga is used, can be positive or negative.

Andre for sure.

Black star album tn

Oh shit I didn't know it was coming out so soon

About 1980

GOAT

Attached: Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous.jpg (600x600, 157.35K)

Is this Jay Z?

What kind of black rapper man doesn't like booty, hooks, and choruses? Like wtf lol this shit is unlistenable!
>faggot

gangsta shit went mainstream to shut it down

first for Warren G

What's /ohg/'s favorite Pimp C line, for me it's
>pimpin aint dead it just moved to the web, site
>still like to get mh dick sucked under the street lights

Attached: ugkjpg.jpg (1200x1200, 118.26K)

What does the g stand for???

I think I like love movement more
consequence didn't come into his own until he started doing tracks with ye.

did anybody ever drop off as hard as Nas? Went from making the classic of all classic hip-hop records to a laughing stock parody of himself in 4 albums

Attached: nastradamus.jpg (600x875, 164.85K)

is any post-apocalypse PE worth listening too? Chuck D is my favorite MC but I tried listening to how to sell soul and it was an absolutely miserable experience, that record is terrible outside of harder than you think

you guys were talking about buster - here's a nice little remix of dangerous

youtu.be/4IdpodnXbls?t=2613

Beats, its not even a competition. TLM was a huge disappointment to me and desu Beats was already a step down from Midnight Marauders.

3k - the better contest would be 3k vs Common during their "badu pussy" phazes

no but

is retarded

dre's "G"ay cousin

idk, i think the problem was he was never going to top illmatic and knew it. It was like a weight around his neck and career. 'We' all just wanted illmatic 2/3/4 but he strayed away from that winning formula presumably cos he know it would be dimishing returns. I think some of the more recent stuff has been pretty good.
imo no. i dont undertstand why he started rhyming in this weird slow flow way - he lost all the energy that made the early stuff amazing.

youtu.be/EVNIZK1tRuo

Shame that this version of the song wasn't on Beats Rhymes and Life.

We got it from here is definitely great, but not as great as the first three albums.

Onyx is the greatest hip-hop group and im tired of pretending they're not

lol.no. but throw ya gunz is an under-rated classic.

bump

It’s a shame desu

Strictly for my grind - spacehog

>there’s no way
Besides the fact that you are wrong, you say that like you haven't even listened to it you dumb shit

nah dead set if you say that shit you deserve a pop in the nose you pussy fuckwit

Damn I've never seen the video for this. I already couldn't stand the album mix for this song now it's even more frustrating

youtube.com/watch?v=fTxmgLpYcy4
really like this

This is the peak of G-Funk

Attached: tumblr_ogptmtttDw1t1yehoo1_1280[1].jpg (1000x1000, 63.24K)