Why are TV shows replacing movies?

Everything is about TV shows and Netflix nowadays, even tons of old movies get their own TV show now (Fargo, Snatch, whatever).

It's intentionally done, but why? What's the agenda? Make people excessively consume media, since Series require longer viewing? Or what else?

Attached: netflix.png (680x316, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

jewornotjew.com/profile.jsp?ID=2655
investopedia.com/insights/how-netflix-makes-money/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

fuck off shill

Any serious answers?

The feature film is an outdated format for telling a story with all its limitations. Promoting a film also takes relatively more money and resources to turn a profit. Even from a fan perspective, there's no good argument for defending films over series.

"Binge-watching" has something to do with it.
Plus, movie studios have grabbed up almost all the well-known properties and so almost every big movie has to have a recognizable logo behind it. TV shows have to be a little more novel to make up for that and that probably attracts audiences.

There's only so much you can do with 90 minutes so unless you're a genuinely brilliant film maker you're just going to rehash the same shit over and over again (see: capeshit)

I no longer have the attention span to sit down and watch anything longer than an hour at a time. I blame YouTube for this.

Marketing costs and predictable returns. With the current setup it's a way to print money by extending a concept people are already sold on.

Netflix is the future of entertainment, there's no doubt about it. Most of the people under 30 I know watch Netflix exclusively, with maybe a couple of blockbusters they go to see in cinema every year. If it's not on Netflix, it's not socially relevant content - the only exception being Game of Thrones, but even that is soon to be replaced by the new Witcher show.

>Make people excessively consume media, since Series require longer viewing?
This is a good shout. Plus you can push a lot more propaganda in a sustained fashion compared to one 90 minute film.

It's not solely an 'agenda'. There are numerous top shelf filmmakers who have chosen to work in television because they wanted to.
>Ingmar Bergman - Scenes from a Marriage (possibly his best work)
>Jane Campion - Top of the Lake (palme d'Or & academy award winner)
>Park Chan Wook - The Little Drummer Girl (Oldboy, The Handmaiden, and TLDG was one of the best things on tv last year)
for example

They could all easily finance any film they wanted to make. They CHOSE to work in television. The same is true for many top shelf actors. It's simply not an inferior medium and many people accept that now.

They're not, you fucking cuckflix

Binge watching and convenience play a big part. People are less inclined to travel out to a theater to see a random movie when they can just sit at home and stream new movies and shows from a service they're already paying for.

>why? What's the agenda?
People have reasonably decent setups in their home, and distribution is easy also. This caused a decline in cinema attendance. Which itself causes studios to sterilise their films to have the broadest appeal possible, including appealing to censored primitive markets, like China. So the films become worse, and less people go to the cinema. It's a compounding problem.

So if you're being entertained at home, why the arbitrary 90-120 minute standalone stories? Why? People have way more free time than that.

You're asking a stupid question. The entertainement industry, and everything they do, is always primarily about making money. They might often have bad strategies but they aren't pursuing agendas, atleast not in any significant way. They're trying to make money.

Your examples are pure Jonah hill level shit

Let me guess... Alt-right, involuntary celibate, triggered that Netflix don't shy away from having interracial relationships in their original content? If you had active sex life, you'd know that any chick pretty much expects you to have Netflix when she comes over to your place. Good luck getting laid if you turn on your laptop and start browsing through Downloads folder haha.

I'm not trying to have a hipster obscurity pissing contest, I'm trying to give examples people might know, to make my point.

Have you even seen any of those series I mentioned?
What would better examples have been?

>The Witcher is going to be the new GoT
LMAO

Most serialized TV shows are fifteen minutes too long, have twice as many episodes as necessary, do not have enough necessary story or character arc beats to justify their length. Most could easily be told within two hours and would look less cheap as a result.

You know it's true, just accept it. GoT is ending this year, so millions of fans will be looking for new fantasy franchise to get attached to. Arguably it could get even bigger than GoT ever was, considering the inclusive cast and the fact that Witcher already has huge, established, worldwide fanbase as a starting point - unlike the mildly popular GoT novels.

>paying for media

Attached: 1348674736267.jpg (417x492, 47K)

Most films are also too long and not good

Why are leftcels so hopeless? Is it the Netflix brainwashing?

You say that like film has only been around for one or two decades.

The Witcher will flood social media where all discussion will be exhausted in just a couple of weeks like every Netflix release.

They're not. Many people I know don't even watch TV. TV shows these days are largely the domain of autists who binge on them.

Netflix series = lazy moviemaking.

What agenda? It's a corporation, it's sole objective is making money by getting loyal subscribers and viewers, they're just following the trends.

You give financial arguments, but how? Netflix only costs 9$ a month, yet they produce lots of shows with stars in them. How is this profitable?

I get the feeling they rather use it to influence people.

But why TV shows in particular and not movies?

It'll get two seasons max

>But why TV shows in particular and not movies?
But they do movies and tv shows... what are you talking about?

Series allow the studios to draw out a story as long as possible. Movies need an arc that concludes itself to either complete a story or lead into another movie.

This allow pure filler seasons and filler story material to keep a franchise going as long as possible.

NOTE: This isn't always a bad thing. Certain long running stories, like fantasy, works a LOT better in the serial show format.

Based schizo

This.

It's the reason why the Witcher, Wheel of Time, and LOTR series have all gotten the green-lights and will be starting production in late 2019.

GOT ending is going to leave a vacuum that other studios will want to try and fill.

>Wheel of Time

I'm so mixed on this. The material is there and if done well would be fantastic.

However, just like with Netflix and The Witcher, I'm really worried that it's basically going to be screwed over by SJW/Progressive writers who will want to use its popularity to shoe in agendas.

>just like with Netflix and The Witcher
Are you involved with the production or something? How can you know that "writers want to shoe in agendas" when we haven't seen a single episode yet?

the only thing that's going to fill GOT vacuum will be the new GOT prequel thats already in production
those other shows have a steep hill ahead of them

>GoT is ending this year, so millions of fans will be looking for new fantasy franchise to get attached to.

Not really, but studios certainly will see it that way.
Think about post-lotr. There were a huge number of similiar fantasy franchises that studios tried to feed audiences.
>Lion the Witch & The Wardrobe
>His Dark Materials
>Earthsea
>Eragon
etc etc etc

Most had a very minimal impact. Game of Thrones is the exception now, and whatever comes next has a very odds off chance of being the exception then.

Agreed. Especially now that the WOT series has been completed and the general encyclopedia/story notes have been published. No chance that a Game of Thrones situation happens where they start to meander the story midway through the series and then have to come up with their own ending.

They can also condense the really slow books, 8-10, into a single season.

>Most could easily be told within two hours and would look less cheap as a result.
I suppose that's true for some, but audiences seems to not mind slow burns these days. I guess my main point is that the serialized format has increasingly become more attractive to filmmakers because it avoids many of the limitations of single features. Some are even talking about "expanded universes" with other series much like capeshit does.

Look up the writing room staff pictures and the interviews they have done.

It's going to be a massive shitshow.

This is a delusional conspiracy theory.

>Having a black person or woman in a TV show
>Not subversive (((libtard))) propaganda meant to weaken the proud white race
Lmao fuck off Shekelstein

I'd say witcher has a decent chance just because of the size of the netflix subscriber base, they have more than HBO now, and certainly a lot more than when GoT first started years ago. if it's at least half way decent the audience for it is potentially massive.

there's a few twitter pictures that show the writing room isn't all white men, this is scandalous to some autists here. no, they don't know any details of the actual writing nothing has come out yet, there are just people there that are bad and wrong. I'm sure they'll get spammed in a while, just sit tight.

Have you seen the insanity coming from the writing room on twitter?

They have flat out said that they consider many of the backstory elements "problematic" and are going to change them. Including the Yenn Djinn story.

You're suggesting that an enormous, public company, is a scam whose primary aim is to spread propaganda not to make money.

They don't make money in the short term. It's a long game. What's up for stake is being a culturally dominant global monopoly on in house entertainment, or even more, which they almost sort of have achieved already. That chance is worth an enormous amount of money and the content they own is already incredibly valuable. They are clearly trying, largely failing, but trying, to compete on quality, and to create future classics.

They clearly have social goals and values, but those things are totally secondary to their aim of being profitable, and also informed by that aim.

I can understand why executives let this kind of shit happen. They want their content to be not just politically correct now, but politically correct in the future. So it can make money then, as well as now.

If society and culture tracks how it is, those standards are going to be absurd in the coming decades. By that logic, you're going to need the most crazy blue haired retards making shit now, to even have a chance of it being acceptable in the future, by even 'normal' people.

While the Wheel of Time is indeed fantastic, the problem is that it will have to be sexed up in the earlier seasons thanks to the success of GOT.

The early books are VERY standard vanilla fantasy. It does it darker and more risque later, but Sony might panic audiences won't give it the time of day.

It’s easoer to tell a great story in 12 hours rather than 2

Hmm, I see.
>doesn't pander to my alt-right worldview
>m-must be sinister liberal propaganda

Attached: the incel.png (1279x696, 895K)

this but unironically

>They have flat out said that they consider many of the backstory elements "problematic" and are going to change them.

The same goes for the show runner of the WOT series. He's been spouting all about including modern feminism and not going the foursome relationship with Rand at the end, but not realizing that Jordan was writing a rather scathing take on matriarchal feminism. (That it doesn't work and that the two genders have to work together for a functional society.)

Television will forever remain a vastly inferior form of a visual medium compared to film.

The primary focus in TV shows is on the written narrative and nothing else, the repetitive structure, countless establishing shots and shots of a car entering a location, countless "let's go to a bar for a beer" like exposition dialogues, every episode has to end with a cliffhanger, every episode has one big moment which is executed well while the rest is mostly filler, countless twists and turns etc
All the other filmmaking elements like cinematography, editing, sound design don't matter at all in the long run, the only thing you are left with is the characters and nothing else. Just a big collection of plot points.

Most of the time you don't even have to look at the screen, the back to back camerawork in dialogues get's so overused that you can basically just listen to the conversation without even watching the screen and grasp all the information you need because the written narrative is the main thing here, while in film it's the visual narrative.
(Actual) Films are made by directors, while tv shows are made mainly by producers. And in film, every single second of runtime is there for a reason and there isn't a single frame of "filler" in them, while in the vast majority of TV shows there are entire scenes or even episodes that are simply unnecesary and not of much artistic value, but you still sit through it just to see what happens with "the characters" at the end because nothing else really doesn’t even matter.
it's simple, TV shows are primarily a producers medium, while film is a directors medium.

Netflix is like 15 bucks a month in Canada and their selection sucks

series writer are consulted by psychologists.
cliffhangers = habit forming
same reason every game has daily quests and grind

you are a product

>Jordan was writing a rather scathing take on matriarchal feminism

Yeah, no chance in hell that the Aes Sedai get shown as the sexist fuck ups they really are. Which is a shame, because Jordan was rather good at showing why an all female dominated culture is just as bad as a male dominated one.

Action movies are for retards
Scifi movies have used all possible material
Romance movies are lies
Comedy movies are lol why the fuck would I sit for hours just to laugh at something
Drama movies are cringe
Thriller movies are basically action movies with better plots
Horror movies are for masochist
Animation is for kids
Capeshit is cancer because they keep fucking up the established comic verse big time

Movies are also too short to have decent plot lines too, the plot for Black Panther is rushed as shit ti should have taken T'Challa days to win.

Most films are abysmally bad and have totally generic productions in all facets as well

You've also got your dichotomy wrong, television is widely considered a writers medium.

If you want to make a more interesting critique of television, do it for something like My Brilliant Friend, or Scenes from a Marriage, or Olive Kitteridge

Have you seen any of those shows? If you haven't, I suggest you watch them and re-evaluate your position.

Most media of any kind is bad, not an argument.

>Replying to my obvious bait
Thanks for the (You) anyway, user.

That's my point. You're comparing 'most television' to quality films. It's not a fair comparison.

You can take the best possible TV show you can think of and it's still not comparable to any great film. Yeah the Sopranos or the first season of TD is good, but when compared to a film like 2001 or Mirror they are nothing.

The change is due to the low effort needed to switch on a TV compared to going to the cinema.

I think there is a quality difference as well. TV shows are becoming better while movies are becoming worse

>TV shows are becoming better while movies are becoming worse
Maybe if you compare TV shows only to mainstream Hollywood garbage, otherwise you're factually wrong.

Brainwashing.

You watch a 3 hour movie and it can move you, make you think but ultimately the effect wears off after a while.
After marathoning Sopranos over a month, I found when it was done I was using italian Americanisms, eating cured meats and walking around like I'm Tony.

Well I have one explanation, even though I'm not quite sure about it: TV shows are better to push a certain agenda.

Because at first you see an everyday family which ordinary people would identify with. Viewers warm with the show, keep watching them. Then shows slowly transform into more and more behavior that is considered inappropriate by the viewer, but accepted, as their favorite characters are doing them. Like Ellen becoming Lesbian (even though, I'm not that anti-LGBT).

You notice this with so many shows, they are rather down-to-earth at the beginning and then more and more extreme. Family Guy anyone?

A movie doesn't have the same effect, as they are only 90-150 minutes long.

money you retard

Still not a fair comparison. Watch Bergman's Scenes from a Marriage, and then compare it to any other Bergman film.
Olive Kitteridge, or My Brilliant Friend, are other, better examples, of television shows which you could compare fairly to arthouse films. You're expecting some level of artistic merit in a show with workmanlike direction, that is not even attempting to achieve it.

The Sopranos & True Detective are great, but they're intended for very wide appeal, and made cheaply. It would be far more fair to compare The Sopranos to Goodfellas.

And there are very clearly aspects of The Sopranos, which are superior to 2001 & The Mirror. Or any film. Characters. Tone.

David Lynch and Twin Peaks

>he genuinely believes a netflix show will reach anywhere near the success of even the worst HBO show
Lmao at your life

Yeah.

That's a low bar user, Here & Now is pretttty terrible

You can't take a single frame out of 2001 or Mirror and for it to be the same, literally every little milisecond is exactly as it has to be (just like you can't take a single page out of great literature), while in TV shows (even in The Sopranos) you can take out entire episodes or sometimes entire seasons even of how unnecessary and non narrative pushing they are.

TV shows are filled this kind of empty fluff, even the great ones. The first season of True Detective is praised as one of the best instances of a single season in any TV show, and yet you can still argue that the last two or three episodes are not on par with the first 5 episodes and you could easily shave some things off.

HBO is dead, a boomer channel. GoT is the only thing keeping them afloat, but not for long now that The Witcher is about to hit the scene.

Again, you're simply not making a fair comparison. Take Twin Peaks vs another Lynch film.
Berlin Alexanderplatz vs a Fassbinder film.
Mildred Pierce vs a Todd Haynes film.
Scenes from a Marriage.

>You can't take a single frame out of 2001 or Mirror and for it to be the same, literally every little milisecond is exactly as it has to be
this is tautological nonsense.

My Brilliant Friend & Succession were easily the best dramas on television last year.

And not a single of those TV shows are as timeless or praised as the same directors best film work. Singular pieces/expressions are always better.

No one ever heard of those, we're discussing relevancy, not "quality".

>every little milisecond is exactly as it has to be
and that's just so fucking bullshit
so many facets of any film are totally arbitrary and could easily be changed

I understand your point, that television shows are often full of gratuitous scenes, frames, and workmanlike direction and production with little artistic merit. You're right. But that's not even actually true for the examples I've given, only for your examples.

So why don't I pick the films we're using as examples, I pick wild hogs.
Seriously dude, go and check out some of these shows I'm mentioning. You don't have an educated opinion and you're missing out.

Attached: wildhogs.jpg (550x415, 53K)

Berlin Anderplatz, Scenes From a Marriage & Twin Peaks are all widely considered to be amongst, if not the best work of those directors. Who are themselves considered to be amongst the best film directors ever.

Ok lad, i hope you enjoy "The Witcher"

Attached: ScreenShot7412.jpg (786x516, 240K)

yeah /pol/ has rotted your brain and now your shit's all fucked up, faggot.

>netflix could never have a show as succesful as HBO
>netflix now has more subscribers than HBO

yes, it's literally impossible.

im going to bed user
you should watch more television

Because watching movies at home is just more comfortable, enjoyable and affordable.

With a series you can have the perfect amount of "sequels".
Sometimes when you watch a movie you want some more,but not an entire extra movie.
Having said that,didn't Harry Porter and the Hunger games split one book into two movies?

Dumb thread

I'll honestly check out Olive Kitteridge, but I'm with the gay black man Armond White on this one. Film is art, Television is merely a visual medium.
Knowing the fact that it's made to by played on a TV says enough already

I'd bet 50% of those are braindead housewives rewatching Friends or Office endlessly, so not their original content.

I only watch movies. Tv, especially Netflix style shows are shit. They're pointlessly long and meandering and lack content even though they run for 7 seasons.

A 90 minute action movie unironically has more plot than a Netflix show.

Funny
jewornotjew.com/profile.jsp?ID=2655

Jews themselves admit that Netflix is pushing the LGBT thing very hard.

The internet, particularly the heavy use of services which filter and sort content based on past consumption, are rapidly increasing self-absorption. TV works better as an emotional thermostat, letting people tune in to the way they want to feel, without engaging with a world that might force them to be somewhat uncomfortable.

>>Movies are also too short to have decent plot lines too
>"I love House of Cards!"
>switches on show
>watches for 3 seconds
>pulls out phone

investopedia.com/insights/how-netflix-makes-money/

>There’s a long answer to the question “how does Netflix make money?” And a short one. The short answer—They don't. Actually, since 2011, Netflix has not had any positive cash flow. So, the more important question is not “how does Netflix make money?”, but “how does Netflix NOT make money?” Lets back up and start with some basic information.

Interesting...

Goys spend money on nostalgia. It's like those mini NES things, whatever the fuck they are, and the PS1 ones. Why the fuck would some retard pay $100 to play preinstalled games, 50% of which are pure shit because, by complete and utter coincidence, a lot of the good games are available at full price on the (((marketplace))). When you could just as easily use an emulator and download any game you want? Faggots and goys, that's who.

Netflix is possibly about to win two Oscars, one for original content, I think they can definitely stand up to HBO although not in pedigree definitely superior recent success.

in a way you could make the same argument about the USA, "how does the USA have the worlds biggest economy with 25 trillion in debt?" lol its about leverage

With shows you have much more time to develop sympathy for the characters. It's more likely you'll stay engaged.

Because it is the superior medium, allowing stories to be told over a longer span of time with greater attention to detail and character development. Some of the differences between movies and books are the same differences between movies and tv shows.

I don't watch movies or tv.

Films are infinitely better of a medium. Films are closer to literature in every way possible than TV shows are.

Based leftist faggot

Incompetent bait

bump

it's 9 bucks a month for 1 screen and 480p, nobody has that plan

it's 11 bucks a month for 2 screens and 1080p

Movies: never ending reboots, remakes, sequals, franchises, usually based on a comic book. All of it dumbed down to suit a globalized market who doesnt speak english and likes loud explosions

TV: not dumbed down to fit a global audience since its airing on american tv. Can make a tv show about a chemistry teacher in new mexico who makes meth and have it be a hit. Stories set in reality with real drama and suspense instead of capeshit number 5020570

Its become very clear ever since capeshit took over the movie world, that if you are an actor that actually wants a serious role than you have to go to a foreign director or relent to tv, which is no longer looked down on as a step down from hollywood movie acting

Trust me bros, Mindhunter season 2 is going to be guaranteed kino.

>not dumbed down to fit a global audience since its airing on american tv
>not dumb
>america

wew

Wow, 11 bucks a month now! That's some upgrade. Sure thing to make money with this, when at the same time producing thousands of shows with high production standards and overpaid actors.

Faggot

Binge watching and the internet has allowed the eternal normie to enjoy serialized television increasing demand for that.