/ahg/ - Arthouse General

Fans of Chungking Express go and watch Long Day’s Journey Into Night right now.

Attached: images.jpg (184x273, 12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3920748
youtube.com/watch?v=1RQ3yFmDz-E
letterboxd.com/film/telemundo/
variety.com/2018/artisans/production/pawel-pawlikowski-cold-war-1202974518/
vimeo.com/25253980
imdb.com/title/tt0130730/
imdb.com/title/tt0109239/
thispersondoesnotexist.com)
torrentz2.eu/search?f=Long Day’s Journey Into Night
youtube.com/watch?v=T6FS3mpkVak
vimeo.com/41789826
vimeo.com/86679367
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>The marketing of the film was met with major disapproval by the Chinese audience after its opening. The marketing of this art film was targeted massively towards the general public, instead of art film lovers. The film opened on December 31, 2018 since it was the last day of the year and it was intended to be "a good event to celebrate the new year". It was estimated that a lot of people went to see the film without knowing about it. This resulted in major backlash as netizens complained against the film, as well as calling the ones who appreciated it "jia wenyi (phony-artistic)".

Conning the general public into watching art films - a sustainable strategy?

Not really. It didn't do any good for Drive anyway, and that wasn't even arthouse.

All publicity is good publicity.
It got people who wouldn't normally be interested in these types of films to watch it, and even though most people hated it, maybe some of them liked it enough to try to look for more movies like this.

Based marketing team.

what godard should I download first?
Vivre Sa Vie
Une Femme Est Une Femme

Vivre Sa Ve is his best movie.
Une Femme Est Une Femme is shit.

How many films have you seen of his already? If none, start out with his standard work first:
>Masculin Féminin
>Breathless
>Band of Outsiders
>Vivre Sa Vie

It's more experimental in the last hour or so than Chungking Express but the similarities in style are all over the place. There's like a 60 minute one shot take as well in the second half.

>Masculin Féminin
Also shit.

>60min one-shot
Neat-o. How would you rate it?
I can agree for the most part, but I'm also sort of a sucker for the girls he chooses and can sit through it again just for that.

When he was following the qtpie girl in the green dress it reminded me of the opening shot of Millennium Mambo. Quality filmmaking.

It's not just a 60 minute long take, tt's also in 3D.
The version that came out online is obviously not in 3D though.

watched pic related yesterday
it's so much lighter that I expected, it almost had a comedic tone to it
loved how Fellini makes the camerawork seem invisible. The characters and their movements are closely followed, and you don't even realize it

Attached: P-NIGHTS_OF_CABIRIA_original.jpg (448x252, 42K)

Probably like a 9. Only other films I'd say are comparable in 2018 were Burning, Shoplifters and maybe The Favourite. But I am a Wong Kar-Wai fan and this is right up that alley.

Yeah, can't speak to the 3D version.

>Burning
Oof and yikes.
>Shoplifters
I'll check it out then.

Giulietta Masina was amazing in that. Betty White in All About Eve good. I wasn't as impressed with La Strada, though.

>Chinese audience
>the same audience that praises Transformers
What were they thinking? The Chinese are the target audience for capeshit and Jack & Jill.

Attached: 1547599152973.webm (568x320, 2.9M)

>chungking express
>wong kar-wai
Am I retarded or something? Because I don't think it's similar to Chungking Express or Wong Kar-wai at all.

Before the 3D it definitely is

Feel the same way about Antonioni and his use Vitti

Attached: images (1).jpg (321x157, 8K)

One Cut of the Dead was pretty dope. Clever twist that starts half way through as well.

Attached: download.jpg (317x159, 8K)

wtf happened

did we just watch people die.

Um sweeties, it's China. This is normal. Have some real Chinese arthouse on me.

Attached: 1547598793485.webm (720x408, 1006K)

no liveleak videos are just funny reenactments

>watches tarkhitchkovskynch once

should rename it /aahg/ asian art house general desu

Why?

Yeah I wasn't really on board with it but as soon as the short ends and the actual plot unfolds I was hooked.
It was really charming.

it certainly cucked Americans into watching Spring Breakers

about to watch Le Pont du Nord by Rivette, what am I in for?

>oh, a new adaptation of O'Neill's play
>google what it is
>2018
>ching chong nip nop
>memory of woman 12 years ago fled from a city
>what the fuck am I reading
>realize this is not an adaptation of the eponymous play

Go fuck yourselves.

Attached: 1294942852825.jpg (540x726, 66K)

>arthouse
more like mortuary house haha

Watched Children of Paradise. It was ok, but not interesting enough to last for 3+ hours. I suspect the lasting interest in the film stems from the unique circumstances in which it was made, rather than its actual quality. There's nothing really bad about it (except the actor for Nathalie), but the script itself needs a lot of work. There's too many characters monologuing about nothing, with the first 45 minutes dedicated to introducing them. I don't mind slow films, and this one isn't slow, the issue is too many needless elements.
But there's a lot to love about it too. All the crowd scenes in the theater and the street are great, and the mime scenes are terrific.
If I could rewrite it I would focus it on the friendly rivalry between the two actors, or at the very least remove the count who never feels like a well integrated element.

Attached: children-of-paradise[1].jpg (1000x737, 213K)

I just came out of a very long period of only watching Asian kino and I'm kind of done with it, although I still have countless movies downloaded
After a while they all start mixing with each other and I don't know which is which anymore, only a few stand out as really original and memorable

CHINK'D

last chink kino I watched was Behemoth doc and Kaili Blues, recommend both desu

maybe you're just a cold heartless asshole

Yeah, I went through the same thing. Good idea for a marketing strategy.

user I said I want less chink kino not more, I'm not ready for another coal mining doc or sad asians wondering in the streets looking sad and hopeless flick

Kaili Blues was better

I watched Crazed Fruit last night, it's sadly been overlooked in film history, it shows a side of postwar Japan that was unheard of in the 50s; teenage drinking, fights, sex - it makes an Ozu film look like an alien world. Plus it has a sweet jazz soundtrack and some ingenious camera work, check it out if you're lucky enough to find a copy.

Attached: Crazed Fruit 1956.jpg (1600x900, 635K)

>Being excited over a play adaptation

Attached: cary.jpg (430x393, 36K)

Seems like you might like The Warped Ones if you've not seen it already.

>if you're lucky enough to find a copy.
Well I mean, where'd you get yours? If it's shareable please do so. There aren't enough good sources for arthouse or great old films.

i watched eros+massacre yesterday and loved it, especially the structure/editing, but will probably have to watch it again to get a better idea. curious what others think about it. also, what yoshida (or comparable) should i watch next?

Attached: eros.jpg (500x212, 18K)

There's this:
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3920748

Nice.

Eros+massacre is next on the list for me. After that it's the other two in his anarchism trilogy.

I've heard heroic purgatory is extremely difficult to watch due to needing an understanding of political landscape in Japan at that time

don't know why they didn't show the other footage of the bus going over the bridge afterward in this webm

long day's journey is kino though pleb

Yeah, i'm planning to watch that next

wow you guys like really boring films

Do you all think arthouse is just wong kar-wai and jean luc godard

Read the rest of the thread retard.

Most people are pleibeians without any real sense of taste so they just go off of others half assed opinions, like when people say You were never really here is a ripoff of Taxi Driver because they didn't get the movie so it's a shallow way to discuss a film they perceive as 'intelligent' without having to form thoughts.

Yeah, heroic purgatory is the logical one to watch next, and i am curious about it, so i hope it will be understandable enough. By the way, eros+massacre isn't really hard to grasp, but maybe you get more out of it if you read the wikipedia for the red flag incident, high treason incident and amakasu incident (unless you're afraid of spoilers). Not a necessity though.

>He thinks I don't like theatre

I have nothing but respect for O'Neill. It's not about the quality of the play. Separating itself from the theatre was one of cinema's most important steps in becoming an art form in its own right. Theatre adaptations are usually the least cinematic films of all, and therefore redundant and 99% of the time, boring.

Attached: Impurities of theatricality.jpg (240x301, 23K)

Where the Benning bois @

more like aho general

Attached: EdSLpxO.png (1920x1080, 1.72M)

wuss poppin

Who else recharges by watching kino romcoms/action movies after watching something artsy?

Attached: 17-04-17-Screen-Shot-2017-05-24-at-9.05.35-AM.png (578x734, 237K)

not much doo just chillin with some 3hr static shots wbu

Has anyone seen this? It's been a while, but I recall really enjoying it.

Attached: American Dreams Lost and Found.jpg (1390x700, 290K)

Post a director's last name from the 60's to late 80's and you'll get a lot of (you)s. Post an indie film director's name like Jarmusch and get flamed on or ignored

For me, it's slashers.

for me 21st century benning > 20th century benning

no the fuck it isn't
no the fuck it isn't

>Vivre Sa Vie not his best
Incorrect
>Masculin Feminin not shit
Correct

chillin with the california trilogy playing simultaneously on a loop

nice which parts your fav

i've always considered pierrot his best, but i would also accept breathless or contempt. i don't see how anyone could think vivre sa vie is better than any of those three, and that's coming from a fan of the film

Fair enough. I guess people usually like Benning for his landscape stuff (me too). American Dreams is really interesting though, like something someone like Hollis Frampton might've made.

I really like 20th century Benning but can't get into 21st
I've turned off 10 skies and RUHR but I have seen quite a bit of Lockhart and I've enjoyed it... what's wrong with me?

pre 80s Godard a shit

>what's wrong with me?
Literally nothing. Benning got lazy.

The best kino of 2019 everyone.
youtube.com/watch?v=1RQ3yFmDz-E

>what the fuck is this idiot even trying to do
>makes a 3 point turn in order to drive in a straight line
>car catches on fire
>hold completely still and not floor the gas pedal like your life depended on it
>other guy sees this
>oh wow a wall of flame 5 feet away
>better not try and drive away
>better get out of this glass and metal box and just let my skin protect me from the flames

but I really want to enjoy 21st century Benning so I can look cool to a bunch of people who don't know who I am on a Malaysian blanket weaving forum

21st Benning just needs a little patience to get into. The first 10 minutes are usually difficult but then you fall into his groove and everything flows smoothly
also, 2010s Benning sometimes goes back towards the his 20th roots, particularly in stuff like The War, check it out maybe you'll like it

Good 21st Benning:
>california trilogy
>one way boogie woogie/27 years later
>casting a glance
>rr
>small roads
>easy rider
>stemple pass
>natural history
Ignore the rest.

letterboxd.com/film/telemundo/
very interesting mr benning

>no pig iron
>no ruhr

pls

Recently saw Summer with Monika last night. I expected more. The story was a bit too obvious. Harriet Andersson was phenomenal in it, though. I read on wikipedia that a more salacious cut was released in the US. Has anyone screened that version? Is it just extended nude sequences? Anyways, it's not my favorite Bergman film.

you're both life savers
I'll download the california trilogy first then proceed chronologically
Pic related is a lesser known good film you might like if you haven't seen it as thanks

Attached: autrement_la_molussie-454748100-large.jpg (502x797, 50K)

my fav bergman is skammen
was only available in really shit quality until criterion released that restored boxset of his, very nice quality

Molussien is good, been meaning to watch Soviets plus Electricity

Wrong. Please learn to appreciate the fact a professional critic disrupted the order of things back then

Attached: Band.of.Outsiders.1964.Criterion.720p_00:15:12.620.jpg (960x720, 112K)

I can appreciate that fact and dislike his new wave films simultaneously

playing 24/7 in my house in a different order everytime :^)

I love Summer With Monika, agree to disagree I suppose. I think their whole hopeless eloping is both a pleasant and funny watch

Reminder if you don't recognize Cold War as the best film of 2019 you don't fucking belong here

Based. Very >underrated Bergman film.

1. cold war is a 2018 film
2 it's dogshit

FUCK I MEANT 2018 FUCK
and no it's not

Funny, I've tried to record it on TCM twice only a completely different film with the same name, Shame, about race relations in the US South, aired. Seems they have the two films mixed up. I've been viewing Bergman films on various free streaming services - Hoopla and Kanopy. Next on my list is Wild Strawberries and The Virgin Spring.

i guess you havent seen too many 2018 films if you unironically think it's the best

For me, it was High Life

Attached: High life.jpg (1000x562, 134K)

Sorry but Ash is Purest White is.

I enjoyed the film. Maybe I am being too harsh. I just don't think it stands against what I think are his better films ofthe ones I've watched - The Silence, Winter Light, The Seventh Seal, Fanny and Alexander, and Through a Glass Darkly.

what's your favorite friendo
looking forward to this one
not quite Cold War level in my opinion

It's fucking trash:
>variety.com/2018/artisans/production/pawel-pawlikowski-cold-war-1202974518/
>After developing and scanning the Kodak 5219 film stock with colorist Michal Herman, they performed the grading on 35mm and found the look they were going for.

>“Then we decided to find an equivalent on the Alexa and master it to the point that it would be hard to distinguish it [from film],” says Zal. So, along with his team, he perfected a method to re-create the look of the 35mm images, both in terms of contrast and body.

>Once on set, they were able to put their plans into practice. “[We got] dailies and a final cut that were very close to the image we had wanted from the start,” Zal explains. “By reopening the blacks … or by playing on micro-contrast, the final round of color timing resulted in an image that I find very rich, that looks just like film, but that has stronger details in the blacks especially.”
If you want to shoot digital, embrace it for what is is, fine. But don't dress it up as film, as analog, and pretend otherwise. Grain is an inherent deficiency of film, and artificially adding this to digital reduces your image quality on purpose under the guise of aesthetic. Grading digital so heavily is no different than CGI - it's anti-art trash.

what online version? I've been trying to watch this for a while now.

Oh it's certainly not as good as his best work, but it is definitely a milestone in his career

good post
sent ;)

that's pretty funny

>what's your favorite friendo
it's a tie between Acid Forest, Aquarela, and Closing Time

It's on torrent sites.

>Cold War is anti-art
okay buddy

>Grading digital so heavily is no different than CGI - it's anti-art trash.

based assessment

>Grading digital so heavily is no different than CGI - it's anti-art trash.
That's a rather juvenile perspective. The director was attempting to achieve a particular aesthetic and reached it using a method you personally disagree with. How does this degrade artistic value other than your personal opinion on methodology?

it's on private trackers atm so it'll gon on public pretty soon probably

If you want it to look like film, shoot on film.

It has been on public trackers for days.

okay, was just making sure that you're being unnecessarily irrational

v nice
vimeo.com/25253980

I'm not the same guy, but I don't see how that's being irrational.

my bad then, i don't really follow public tracker developments

Again, not a very astute perspective. If you can work around shooting on film with equipment more readily available, then grade the video so it appears no different than film because that is the aesthetic you are looking for, what exactly is the issue? How exactly does that make a film anti-art?

oh, documentaries. i personally place/rate those separately

the fact of the matter is, if you weren't told that it wasn't film, you would have had no clue

That's why context is important.

I fail to see how that devalues the movie.

It's like laminated flooring instead of real hardwood. Yeah, it's cheaper, but that's it. And it's anti-art when you attempt to pass it off as real wood.

Seen it before. Very good.
>i personally place/rate those separately
Low IQ behaviour.

Attached: unnamed.jpg (900x900, 77K)

you're being extremely pedantic

do you do the same with books?

Okay, that's a better argument. However, I'd counter with there is practical use for flooring while movies not so much. So if either film or video is used to depict narratives, and the aesthetic can be achieved by either, how is the artistic value degraded by using the more readily available method? Personally, I am not a film purist. I have no loyalty to methodology as long as the movie entertains or enlightens me in some way. But that's neither here nor there. I fail to find sound justification on using one method over another other than preference.

okay this is my last attempt at giving you something good you might have not seen (btw excellent taste)
imdb.com/title/tt0130730/
imdb.com/title/tt0109239/

The issue is that this so-called aesthetic is an inherent deficiency of film. Depending on stock and lighting and whatever other factors, when shooting on film you have to deal with noise which may negatively impart picture quality. So then to transfer this to digital is taking something that doesn't exist with digital, and creating it.
Secondly, with film you have a much more 1:1 representation of the picture. But with digital, as evidenced here, one can, and actually in all cases has to (because raw digital must be color graded), take liberties with the source when grading it. The end result become a digitally-produced frankenstein monstrosity that is made in-computer instead of in-camera.
And I take issue with proponents of digital claiming it's superiority when at the end of the day they're clinging to "inferior" film - it's pathetic, it demonstrates a lack of conviction. Because just like film looks the way it does, digital does to, and so one's inability to embrace it make me question why you're shooting on it in the first place. But then that's obvious, because if you read between the lines on all the merits of digital, above all one that stands out is merely cost and time (so cost). And few want to admit this is the reason why they shoot on digital.

Haven't watched White Feast. I'll give it a shot.

Tsai's Afternoon online when???

this

...and that is why Cold War is a bad movie!

Thanks for the response. Much better argument here. I'd counter again but have to run. I'll check another Art House thread later after I'm off work to respond properly.

>I'll check another Art House thread later
ok i'll see you next month bud

kek

>You were never really here is a ripoff of Taxi Driver
it's closer to a ripoff of ghost dog tbqh

Tell me why JL Godard is not a hack

it's taxi driver x drive x good time

it's shit...........................................

that goes without saying

>I am not a film purist. I have no loyalty to methodology as long as the movie entertains or enlightens me in some way
If you ask me, the process matters more than the end result. The problem with your line of thinking is the propagation of art as a consumerist product, with only immediate entertainment value being relevant. It's problematic because consider this: as computational power increases, and technologies like machine learning and AI do as well, it's not infeasible to consider a ML algorithm trained on film in some form. You already already have so-called "deep-fakes" than can product realistic video based on input, and we can create completely fake machine-created images of people (thispersondoesnotexist.com) that look real.

So somewhere down the line, a so-called director will put in their parameters, lets say "arthouse", maybe tweak some character or script settings, and the algorithm will output an entire original film with real settings and real people and real dialog that is coherent as any other film made by real people. At what point is this still considered filmmaking, and what is the artistic merit of this final piece?

Thoughts on films longer than 3hrs?
Is it gratuitous, or is it necessary?
Been meaning to watch Dead Souls but finding it hard to make time for it because I don't want to split it up
Longest I've seen thus far is West of the Tracks at 9hrs

lol

No film should be longer than 89 minutes

imo the optimal kino length, and i say this without any hyperbole, is 40-60 minutes

all depends on how it's paced of course. i've seen movies well over three hours that you would swear after watching were no more than two and i've seen shorter movies drag out interminably.

Artistic merit means nothing to most people so long as the aesthetic experience is there. People will adopt AI art w/o hesitation when it’s good enough and never look back as they’re treated to an endless supply of film in the style of their favorite directors.

can you watch it online? is it leaked?

Invite me to a pt

Bergman:
>“I’ve never gotten anything out of his movies. They have felt constructed, faux intellectual, and completely dead. Cinematographically uninteresting and infinitely boring. Godard is a fucking bore. He’s made his films for the critics. One of the movies, Masculin, Féminin, was shot here in Sweden. It was mind-numbingly boring.”
Welles:
>“His gifts as a director are enormous. I just can’t take him very seriously as a thinker — and that’s where we seem to differ, because he does. His message is what he cares about these days, and, like most movie messages, it could be written on the head of a pin.”
Herzog:
>“Someone like Jean-Luc Godard is for me intellectual counterfeit money when compared to a good kung-fu film.”
I think it's safe to say that Godard is the enemy of cinema.

Attached: jean.jpg (1772x1372, 300K)

more like Reddit General

What's /ahg/ opinion on Edvard Munch? Are there any other films by Peter Watkins that are worth watching?
torrentz2.eu/search?f=Long Day’s Journey Into Night

Attached: edvard-munch-1974-movie-poster-u.jpg (413x590, 45K)

i recognize that without godard none of my favorite movies would exist but his films are absolute slogs to get through

What is /ahg/'s opinion on the Cremaster Cycle?

Attached: cremaster.png (887x724, 976K)

I never found a decent version. Curious since a long time.

Amazing thread. Lots to watch and learn.
Keep going.

I love bergman's assessments about other directors in general
for example, on hitchcock:
>I think he’s a very good technician. And he has something in Psycho, he had some moments. Psycho is one of his most interesting pictures because he had to make the picture very fast, with very primitive means. He had little money, and this picture tells very much about him. Not very good things. He is completely infantile, and I would like to know more — no, I don’t want to know — about his behaviour with, or, rather, against women. But this picture is very interesting.
on welles:
>In my eyes he’s an infinitely overrated filmmaker… For me he’s just a hoax. It’s empty. It’s not interesting. It’s dead. Citizen Kane, which I have a copy of — is all the critics’ darling, always at the top of every poll taken, but I think it’s a total bore. Above all, the performances are worthless. The amount of respect that movie’s got is absolutely unbelievable
on antonioni:
>Antonioni has never properly learnt his craft. He’s an aesthete. If, for example, he needs a certain kind of road for The Red Desert, then he gets the houses repainted on the damned street. That is the attitude of an aesthete. He took great care over a single shot, but didn’t understand that a film is a rhythmic stream of images, a living, moving process; for him, on the contrary, it was such a shot, then another shot, then yet another. So, sure, there are some brilliant bits in his films… I can’t understand why Antonioni is held in such high esteem.
I don't agree with all of it, but still

Kind of a dickhead if you ask me.

For me it's either kung fu movies or spaghetti westerns.

I liked it fine but I feel like it really needed to be much, much longer for what I think it was trying to accomplish.
First half is kino, second half is rushed and clumsy.

Just passionate about his craft, probably. He's more positive about others:
>I liked Truffaut a lot, I’ve felt a lot of admiration for his way to address the audience, and his storytelling…. La nuit américaine is adorable, and another film I like to see is L’enfant sauvage, with its fine humanism.
>That is why Tarkovsky is the greatest of them all. He moves with such naturalness in the room of dreams. He doesn’t explain. What should he explain anyhow? He is a spectator, capable of staging his visions in the most unwieldy but, in a way, the most willing of media. All my life I have hammered on the doors of the rooms in which he moves so naturally. Only a few times have I managed to creep inside. Most of my conscious efforts have ended in embarrassing failure.
And on Fellini:
>He is enormously intuitive. He is intuitive; he is creative; he is an enormous force. He is burning inside with such heat. Collapsing. Do you understand what I mean? The heat from his creative mind, it melts him. He suffers from it; he suffers physically from it. One day when he can manage this heat and can set it free, I think he will make pictures you have never seen in your life. He is rich.

Projecting on Fellini?
What he put on words on Tark is probably the closest we can get to what one perceives watching it.

>One Cut of the Dead
I shilled for that 3 or 4 generals ago, glad to see you liked it

I've only seen Punishment Park and The War Game, but I thoroughly enjoyed both of them. I still need to watch Edvard Munch and La Commune

I watched The Firemen's Ball
Would make a great double conedy feature with Death of Stalin or Sexmission

not arthouse

Fair point

It’s a masterpiece. Check out Culloden too. I’m not as high on La Commune, but would not dissuade people from watching it.

It was shit

If the film is good running time doesn't matter. If it's bad any length is too long. If you can't watch a film in one go than watch it for several days like a tv series.

sup Rorscach

I think Welles is spot on

La commune is great. Check it out if you can.

Dead Souls is literally talking heads so I split it up in 2 4-hour sessions (it also came in 2 4-hour parts so that worked out rather well)
That's not to say it wasn't 100% gripping or amaIng, but I work daily, weekends included and 8 hours is a lot of time to invest in 1 day for me at this point in time
I prefer 60-150 mins generally but if a movie is good enough I dont mind it going down or up in running time by however much

Considering watching it. Would you reccomend it?

begging everyone itt to return to reddit

I beg you to return to your capeshit threads

I'm gonna watch Gräns and Ja, Olga Hepnarova tonight. Woulf they be considered arthouse? Has anyone herevseen them?

whats the matter faggot, crying into your soi because you got called out on all your pseudo cringe shit? kill your self

I've seen Ja, Olga Hepnarova. I would consider it arthouse, but I don't have as strict of a definition of arthouse as others here

Either way it's fairly enjoyable and I think it's worth a watch

The 2010s don't have good arthous-

Attached: 81VJMlv5ThL._SY679_.jpg (453x679, 48K)

Cheers

cringe

meme

Goddamit I hate Korine so much

>When a mini-dwarf rich kid from Nashville like Harmony Korine flies first class and moves to New York City’s Soho in his ‘plush safe’ apartment, running around town quoting Godard with lines like, "Fuck the bourgeois", it’s insincere, it’s calculated, it’s unoriginal, and it’s the worst thing in the world, ‘trendy’. He already knows that he and his boring girlfriend Connecticut Chloe Sevigny are going to be on the cover of ‘The Face’. He knows he’ll get his run at The Angelica and be hip in Japan. But no one will ever make an important film because they saw ‘Gummo’ or ‘Donkey Boy’.

>The only impact Harmony Korine will have will be on the lives of the girls he slipped drugs to, got stoned and raped while they were passed out. An autobiographical scenario he chose to include in his average screenplay ‘Kids.'

fag

he's got one good movie and that is trash humpers

I admire him, he's cinema's first auteur shitposter

Based

We don't deserve Vincent Gallo.

Attached: 1404912067541.jpg (201x183, 23K)

Fucking based

He also liked Die Hard and Oceans 11

who cares??? go away to your capeshit threads

No

What's wrong with you

That would be godard.
Although it would be interesting to create a chart for arhouse shitposting films.
What would that list include?

you seem to be in the wrong place
we don't care about your cringey arthaus crap here
this is Yea Forums
maybe you're just naive
but you're in with the wolves now, bitch
and we're hungry for blood

Ok fine. I'll avoid it.

A Coffee in Berlin (2012)

It's just Permanent Vacation with sprinkles of situational comedy.

Attached: coffee-in-berlin-900x552.jpg (900x552, 83K)

kill yourself

Cringe

Attached: 1421037087185.jpg (600x600, 18K)

based

Funny games, 8 1/2, Pierrot le fou, F for fake, Holy mountain, Trash humpers

It's not filmmaking anymore, it's not even art. People do care enough about that. "Most people" are consumerist drones who watch superhero flicks, and their opinions are irrelevant.

Bande a part is the Godard film I can stomach.

Bergman is capeshit.

>didn’t
Drive made the best part of $100 million at the box office

please save this pasta

Searching for a movie, it was a static black screen and nothing else, or something like that. Any idea?

The Brown Bunny only exists so Gallo could get his cock sucked by Chloe Sevigny. I'd say it qualifies.

The real reason you both don't understand why it's a good film is the fact that it's actually something new, this was the point of my original post. Plebeians cannot handle new things, they say they do but are infact very intolerant and afraid of new things, they need memes and shorthands to communicate ideas and more importantly they are unempathicand unable to relate to characters that express real emotions, they need to be commanded to like the character or he is boring, they need to be explained the point or it wasn't there. These people are shallow and thus their comparisons are shallow because they don't understand anything about either film except it's most surface details. Anyone with any intelligence can see You Were never Really here is one of the best films of the decade.

Jarman's Blue?

>Are there any other films by Peter Watkins that are worth watching?
Literally all of them.

Are you sure it wasn't a static blue screen?

Cope harder, pleb

This is real hot coming from someone who made soap-opera type schlock. What is Scenes From A Marriage if not " a shot, then another shot, then yet another" except replace "shot" with "scene" or "character monologue". You even have a timeskip in it but it's clear it was all shot in under a week - Bergman didn't care, all he wanted was to spew his characterization out one contrived monologue at a time.
And anyway, I've always felt, as far as directing his actors, that there's some similarities between Bergman and Antonioni. You have those sullen, prolonged emotional expressions in both their works.

Attached: Scenes.From.A.Marriage.1973.Scene.5.The.Illiterates.720p_00:22:02.529.jpg (1600x900, 299K)

Based capeshitter.

yeessssss love when all these pseud english majors get destroyed here

Either what others said or João César Monteiro's Branca de Neve, but that wasn't entirely black.

based newfag

Friendly reminder that the 'Capeshit' you plebs deride is far more entertaining / important than the boring ass flicks you retards are currently discussing in this thread.

based
fuck these pseuds

No one here cares about capeshitters' opinions.

is Persona (1966) the most technically perfect film ever? i also have no idea what really happened during the entire thing but was completely captivated until the end.

Attached: 56457528.jpg (950x425, 117K)

youtube.com/watch?v=T6FS3mpkVak

What's your favorite Bokanowski film, /ahg/?

Attached: 1372191643012.gif (640x480, 232K)

L'ange

#important #powerful

>watching capeshit
>calling others plebs or pseuds
it's time to kys

>play turned movie

Always shit. Always.

Define technically

>Capeshit
>entertaining
I almost die of boredom everytime I try to watch capeshit.

Dude they're talking about sexy things but not showing them lmao bravo

Wait until you find out it's not based on the play, you absolute fucking retard.

And then the ending happens out of nowhere, as if you woke up from a dream that hadn't quite ended yet.

That sharp electric ringing and then total silence as the movie quickly fades to black.

*ahem*

Attached: 1408832642485.jpg (3600x1996, 1.89M)

Bug was good.

embarrassing comment

embarrassing reply

shut your face incel.

If you don't have anything to say no need to post. Unimaginative shitbrains like yourself don't belong in these threads anyway.

yikes

It's okay but it's no Les yeux ne veulent pas en tout temps se fermer, ou Peut-être qu'un jour Rome se permettra de choisir à son tour.

you, my lad, got chinked i'm fraid' to say.

it's a shame really

this is so retarded it doesn't even deserve a (you) but imma take this opportunity to shill altman's secret honor

Attached: image-w1280.jpg (1280x720, 68K)

Fuck I've been looking for that one for so fucking long

based

could you or anyone share a torrent?

Thoughts on Paul Clipson?

vimeo.com/41789826

Attached: Hypnosis.jpg (960x540, 391K)

Read the thread.

another cringelord who read one interview with PTA and thinks they're cultured
go back to wanking yourself off to sight and sound magazine ya pleb
and fuck you too guy

1523eee4bdc0b799de3207047949fc70402f57f9

Why would anyone need a PTA interview to know who Altman is? Are you literally retarded?

Its this one, thanks dude!

rosselini's historical movies are hot trash, if you rate them you're a complete pseud and probably wish you had a boyfriend

don't try to act like the only reason you and all your reddit ilk have heard of that classic is from reading PTA interviews. I see deeply into your soul, and all I see is cowardice.

>thanks dude!
holy fucking cringe

i mean i'm taking about altman flicks over here and you're talking about reddit and PTA. i think it's pretty clear which one of us is the pleb. and it's (you)

Attached: 1541961008728.jpg (586x540, 91K)

Ok, you got me. Have a last (You)

>>thanks dude!
>holy fucking cringe
cringe

Time to pack up boys
We had a good run but the retard brigade is here
A star wars thread must've been pruned or something

Actually, they're his best movies.

oh no, what a struggle it must now be for you, to click on the next tab and open up r/truefilm, woe is you, woe is you

Capeshitters hate what they don't understand

regret wasting my time watching his stuff

Why

Weak.

Attached: 1492406623709.gif (270x270, 2.03M)

because I could have watched something better instead

>?
You dropped this

>I could have watched something better instead
like Zhegers:
vimeo.com/86679367

Attached: 1505750872127.png (469x506, 240K)

He's good.

/film/ 2.0 when?

heard good things but your anime reaction pic has put me off so I won't be watching it right now, sorry bud

Yes please
will I have to start spamming it on Yea Forums again in hopes that hiroshimoot responds

come to infinity chan

>reaction gif
is it 2014 already?

>judging a book by its cover
user please

You weren't born yet in 2014 so no

?? its basically all you guys have spoken about the entire thread and it is always like this.

An Elephant sitting still

Attached: 1541340029254.jpg (960x960, 46K)

Depends on what you mean by perfect but, while perfectly crafted, I don't think it stands out compared to other similarly great films. I'd say The Man From London, particularly the first hour or so, is more technically impressive, in spite the awkward dubs.

Would Alita be considered as arthouse?

It's not made for the mainstream and it has themes about what it is to be human, by all definition it is

Close, but for me its
The Favourite

fantastic. life affirming. rave reviews.
me personally, I'd rather watch 80 minutes of cars passing by in a film rather than go out of my house at all ever.
I honestly really liked the ending

No.

No

Happy as Lazzaro was pretty good

fuck, it's me again I was JUST watching Holland, Man like an hour ago didn't even realize it was by the same guy
what are the chances

uhm sweaty it had a cinematic meta gimmick so you have to like it

thanks!

nothing with a budget that big has ever been arthouse

What about 2049?

Looks interesting. 4 hrs is fucking long though, better be good.

No but I fucking love it nonetheless

thanks user, i needed that laugh.

Verhoeven arguably made big budget art house.
Gore Verbinski as well

I would say spam /qa/ but mods don't read /qa/.

Rec me something with similar aesthetics to On the Silver Globe.

Letters from a dead man
Visitor of a museum

has anyone read books about film theory? any recommendations?

Oxford book of world cinema is a good overview of the history of the medium

I recommend you get a fucking job

oops, forgot i can't have any interests besides working

thanks

Arthouse drools
Sneed rules

Where can I find Dead souls in good quality? Missed it at my local film festival last year and have been meaning to watch it ever since. Wang Bing's work in general seems hard to find :(

McKee's "Story" is solid.

Based. Absolutely loved it and my favorite film of last year besides The Other Side Of The Wind

What's good about it?

Yeah, Dead Souls where? I've been waiting to see if for months.

New thread?

Best film of 2018