Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RmLFGWAyajU
youtu.be/54_ZPy8feyA
youtu.be/xGISX9EwGFA
youtu.be/KVSAJC4wFiY
youtu.be/pvZUFPfIoI8
youtu.be/AahqjjtJz2M
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Attached: 34253452345.jpg (1400x1049, 538K)

What's really funny about that comic is that Supreme is actually the guest star.

Only in an 90s Image comic will you have a guest appearance where they slaughter the main cast of the book.

Cable has to be the most 90s-looking comic character in existence.

Stan Lee appears in a TV special with Todd McFarlane and Rob Liefeld where he gives them the name of a character, Overkill, and they then have to draw what this character looks like. Spends the whole time heckling them, then reminds them that he now owns the character.

McFarlane decides that this frankenstein of a character design is actually really good and wants to use it, but Stan Lee said he now owns Overkill! What to do? Change it to OVERT-KILL, the best 90's name in existence.

Attached: Overt-Kill.jpg (1280x1968, 786K)

Attached: 534253452345.jpg (974x1471, 304K)

2099 was the best of 90s retardation, because it never went TOO over the top unless it was on purpose. They had enough self-awareness about the 90s-ness of it to keep it within reasonable levels most of the time and to only push it to absurdity when it was in a humorous way.

By contrast, the shit Image was publishing was 100% serious and clearly made by people who had no idea how retarded their own comics were and that nobody other than speculators was dumb enough to buy them.

I still think Grifter's design is really cool even if it's dated now.

Attached: grifter-wallpaper-13.jpg (500x907, 172K)

Is he killing Bloodstorm, Bloodstrike, or Bloodblood?
the OTHER shitty superhero team liefeld creation.

THIS BLOOD'S FOR YOU

>Cable has to be the most 90s-looking comic character in existence.
Cable was the original character that defined that look, and inspired many imitators

>McFarlane decides that this frankenstein of a character design is actually really good and wants to use it, but Stan Lee said he now owns Overkill! What to do? Change it to OVERT-KILL, the best 90's name in existence.
IIRC, Marvel did already have a character named Overkill, which probably forced the name change.

>By contrast, the shit Image was publishing was 100% serious and clearly made by people who had no idea how retarded their own comics were and that nobody other than speculators was dumb enough to buy them.
Most of the people at Image were still in their 20s or early 30s, at a time when most of the audience were adolescent boys. They may have been more in tune with their audience than anyone before or since. Most of the books were by artists whose strengths were not in writing, but don't pretend only speculators were buying them.

I think I know why Toriyama created the false Super Saiyan 2 in the Cell arc: a potshot at Liefeld

Well Bloodstrike is the comic about a government team that gets brought back from the dead every time they die. Which is a really fun idea that the comic never uses in a way to make it stand out from the other two government superhero teams Liefeld created

Yeah when Image was at it's peak I wasn't reading comics yet, but the toys always stood out from everything else to me. I was getting Cyberforce and Spawn figures years before I knew what they were.

Attached: 1562352430911.jpg (799x1200, 303K)

>Which is a really fun idea that the comic never uses in a way to make it stand out from the other two government superhero teams Liefeld created
One was Youngblood, what was the other?

>By contrast, the shit Image was publishing was 100% serious and clearly made by people who had no idea how retarded their own comics were and that nobody other than speculators was dumb enough to buy them.
Are you retarded, Zoomer? Image was all the hottest artists of the 90s under their own punk rock label surpassing Dark Horse as the dark horse of comics.
Don't talk about years you weren't alive for.

youtube.com/watch?v=RmLFGWAyajU

I like to imagine Stan Lee drained a couple years of lifeforce from these two while murdering them with words.

People today can't understand how popular these guys were.
youtu.be/54_ZPy8feyA

youtu.be/xGISX9EwGFA
youtu.be/KVSAJC4wFiY
youtu.be/pvZUFPfIoI8
And what could have been:
youtu.be/AahqjjtJz2M

Youngblood looks the best out of all of those unironically

Attached: Badrock1cover.jpg (654x1024, 327K)

There was nothing absurd about the '90s.

>at a time when most of the audience were adolescent boys

You obviously are too young to remember the comics industry back then. I'm old enough to have worked in a LCS in the 90s. The audience then was primarily 20-somethings. And by "primarily" I mean "almost entirely". As opposed to now where it's mostly 30-somethings.

I actually can't tell if this post is ironic or if you're literally retarded.

>70's frank castle would cringe reading that list.

>WHERE ARE THEY NOW
>Youngblood
>owned by pajeet
>Spawn
>same story told on repeat
>Savage Dragon
>parody of former self but consistent
>Wildcats
>parody of former self and mockery of independent comics in general

I agree. X-Force was very EXTREME. Nothing more EXTREME than setting an anniversary issue at a hippie festival that's 99% characters hanging out.

Attached: X-Force_Vol_1_75_Wraparound_Cover.jpg (2000x1029, 751K)

Brigade

Attached: Prime-Ultraverse.jpg (500x744, 116K)

Whose the guy with two swords?
Alan "Two-Swords" Jackson?

Shatterstar

Based and Jakepilled

Attached: 23E3D613-EFD7-422C-89BB-D5D787CDAAC1.jpg (610x1137, 228K)

Arguably /thread

All of the 2099 issues could count, but this was fucking crazy all around

Attached: 4A1EDDAC-3497-4E12-865F-9E9046FDA60B.jpg (990x299, 97K)

Suicide Squad?

>free flowing yet skin tight mask
how?

Isn't he literally a literal kid kind of like Mr. Sinister was supposed to be.
Mr. Sinister himself and Goblin Queen are actually 80s characters not 90s though.
I was going to suggest Venom but he's slightly before the 90s.
Carnage is 90s though.

Attached: carnage.png (250x271, 93K)

Form your ideal 90s Team! Heroes or Villains.
Must be characters created in the 90s or specific versions/incarnations of characters from the 90s.

Pic related my Villainous team, unfinished.

Attached: zzu7 (30).jpg (2678x1194, 3.07M)

Most characters have kept their designs or as close as possible to them, so any character created in the '90s probably tops him.

Omega red was badass

How come there weren't FF or Avengers 2099?

>7 characters
>0 feet

RIP Cable

Think of it more as a bandana.

There was FF2099. And Avengers 2099 (the actual one from the 90s and not the new 2010s one)

Attached: DDF43450-B606-473F-A131-9A827F30ABB2.jpg (620x634, 108K)

Bought this comic the other day for a buck. Got the Shatterstar card. He was always cool.

Liefeld Supreme: Henry Cavill
Moore Supreme: Christopher Reeve (pre-accident)

>Wildcats are part of DC
>Spawn is going to be in Mortal Kombat
>Savage Dragon has turned into a weird fetish comic to own the conservitards

Boy, shit got weird.

>Stan outwitting the Memeage boys

Based

>this zoomer as fuck post
BEGONE PUNY MORTAL

Attached: B3DC7834-81E8-4D5E-9008-DBD8DB861B08.jpg (1440x2217, 982K)

Is that a belt fed revolver?

Keep your foot fetish to yourself.

Grant Morrison is right. 90s was shit and boomers terminally can't do art.

I'm sorry, but the character you are looking for is actually Shatterstar. Cable is close but Shatterstar takes it just a step further.

Michel Fiffe is right. 90s comics art has SOUL, unlike the tepid and formulaic modern art.

Micheal Turner started like classic 90s artists but when he got good at it he was the best of them all

Attached: Witchblade #11 (1996) - Page 6.jpg (1280x1943, 410K)

and he would go all out sometimes on detailed rooms

Attached: Witchblade #14 (1997) - Page 4.jpg (2048x1585, 846K)

who dis?
it would be a cool concept for a magic user especially considering that the bags don't have to hold (lead) bullets necessarily

Weren't Brigade working against the government, not for them?

The later 1990s became a whole new era where the big 2 moved away from the extreme style. People talking about 1990s comics rarely mean 1997-1999.

90's cable parody

His thin waist anatomy actually got worse later when he did DC stuff, it was the only notably flaw with his work for me.
He was my favorite artist when I got into comics around 2007.
Love how he drew Cap.

Attached: detail.jpg (550x835, 633K)

Early unfinished line up for my heroic team...
> Scarlet Witch (deodato outfit)
> Daredevil (armor)
> Ghost Rider (dk)
> Sara Pezzini & The Witchblade (top cow)
> Arena (malibu)

Attached: latest-1.jpg (1155x1062, 741K)

Evil Ernie is a fascinating relic of the 90's. His book wasn't really good per se but the idea of a horror villain being the protagonist with the antagonist being the final girl hero was a fairly interesting one.
Chaos! Comics in general was 90's as fuck.

The edginess of the 90's lingered for way too long.

Attached: 1553425183765.jpg (503x810, 202K)

I love the retarded enthusiasm of 90s XTREME comics because the artists actually liked things and wanted to draw those things. So much of it is them going "dude I just saw anime for the first time and it was fucking awesome"

Give me artist driven comics over writer driven ones any day of the week, because writers only like themselves

teen tony

Attached: 96020.png (628x987, 1.12M)

X-treme tech.

>Give me artist driven comics over writer driven ones any day of the week, because writers only like themselves

I'm really starting to believe that after reading some comics in the 00's and 10's.

>when he got good
When he died? Turner art was atrocious

> Scarlet Witch (deodato outfit)
The Avengers costumes were designed by Joe Madureira. Only Thor was designed by Deodato.

Many 90's comics had interesting concepts and premises.
I just can't stand the art.

The Pouch.

Wasn't there some Shi'ar character - Deathbird or something? - who was part of X-Force for a while?

The animation looks better than anything being made today.
But that has more to do with how animation gets done nowadays.

That's why a good company should have the writer and artist work together as a team.

Not have 'super star' writer paired with just some guy. Or the artist just drawing whatever the hell he wants with a writer just filling in the word balloons.

That's Kill-Pouch.

Great page

>hey guys get this
>Hulk
>but with guns and one liners

Attached: 8b4f131f68646ca6506314fd7a4dd563.jpg (488x738, 115K)

xtreme 90s had energy, shit exploded off the page. It was retarded energy but that's still energy

Attached: 1541409369268.jpg (1618x1250, 2.01M)

it's like the art equivalent of retard strength

Your mom having sex

You forgot the bunny slippers.

See, you say that, but I look at a page like the one you post, and I don't feel energy, I just feel insanity, a mess without heads or tails

>It was retarded energy but that's still energy
Computers made people lazy because they no longer needed to be innovative by pushing the boundaries of what they could do
Computer based comics IE webcomics reached the boundary of what they could do in the mid-2000s with infinite canvas and eventually COA with Homestuck

But... that's one of Skeletor's goons in the movie...

This shit
The run itself was a mess but all Foot Clan stuff was gold

Attached: 2296806-71043-11889-104041-1-teenage-mutant-ninja_super.jpg (400x621, 73K)

A remastered version (with colors) is currently published by IDW with the promise that the final issues will see the light of day

>one of those guilty of the 2000s, arguably the worse age of comics, wants to shit talk the 90s

why is the hulk shooting cigarettes?

>Cable was the original character that defined that look, and inspired many imitators
Well someone had to DRAW first BLOOD!

People had been talking a lot about how they kill.

Grifter’s mask defies all known laws of physics. Dude can basically pull it out of thin air.

Attached: his knives are in the way of his knives.png (500x427, 470K)

> “I just saw anime for the first time”

none of the trash posted in this thread looks like it took after anime

>Vibro-knux-flesh-shred-ding knuckle duster
hu ho

>Plasma gas cannon
???

It shoots white hot farts

Attached: 607397.jpg (600x941, 173K)

Plasma is ionized gas in the first place so it's a redundancy

, , There’s also the crushing backround knowledge (particularly if you work at DC or Marvel) that comic books as an industry is dying and has been dying slowly for over twenty-five years, and that there’s nothing you or anyone else can do to actually stop cape books from becoming merely a method to extend legal control over valuable intellectual properties.
Imagine finally working with something you truly love doing, only the only way you can ever do it is to in effect become a human rubber stamp machine that is forced to turn out shit that you know is absolute trash because no amount of quality will ever financially matter to the parent company.

That has GOT to kill your artistic spirit pretty bad.

yeah i have a lot of respect for what image accomplished. even if a lot of it wasn't to my taste

i love this guy too

TMNT originally was quite edgy though, what made this so much different?

>but Stan Lee said he now owns Overkill!
Holy fuck was he a fucking cunt