It was well done, but pretentious and full of itself. Good themes, but the actual story payoff left much to be desired...

It was well done, but pretentious and full of itself. Good themes, but the actual story payoff left much to be desired. At it's best it was a good period piece thriller with a fantastic occult atmosphere. At it's worst it felt like a gender studies student writing about a serial killer as a proxy to call society sexist. What did you guys think?

Attached: from-hell1.jpg (629x842, 140K)

I've been curious to try it, but I could never get past the art, which looks sloppy and rushed throughout the whole thing.

Try pushing through after a while it just feels right for the story and period, at least for me

Even back in the day, the figure of Jack the Ripper made the situation of the working class women in London a point of discussion in the public opinion. It's not like Moore tried to make it "feminist". Even conservatives agreed that women should not be treated like that... but those were old school conservatives, not the usual neo liberal retard you see these days on places like Yea Forums or any other youtube channel.

It is pretty much the point and reinforces how harsh life was back then.

It should be noted that Moore himself thought the book that promoted that JtR was Gull, under the orders of Queen Victoria, was just conspiracy theory rubbish which had nothing of truth about it, but it would made a pretty good story.

>At it's worst it felt like a gender studies student writing about a serial killer as a proxy to call society sexist.
imagine reading that great chapter about gull exploring the psychogeography of london and coming away with such a childish impression

But I like Eddie Campbell's style...

>I will make manifest the subconscious mind of victorian england, a symbol of the times!
Lol pentagram and dead whores.
I am mostly joking, but a lot of it felt more than just "on the nose". Moore did a lot of telling, not showing here.

No bullshit, but this might be my current favorite comic. It's the most up-my-alley comic I've found, and I wish a lot more comics were written with this level of complexity and research. I also love Eddie Campbell's art.

Thought the Gull Catcher stuff at the end kind of punctured most of the self seriousness.

I’m impressed at how Moore pulls all the true stuff together with just the slightest hints of fiction. The book is so good

Unironically one of the greatest comics ever published. More than Watchmen it's From Hell that deserves to be considered up there with Blood Meridian and the like

>At it's worst it felt like a gender studies student writing about a serial killer as a proxy to call society sexist. What did you guys think?
You had this same thread not even a week ado user. Yes Moore is a leftist. You don't even deserve a you

>I could never get past the art
it does complement the story perfectly tho

Moore on Campbell's art style

>I knew I wanted something that wasn’t an ordinary comics style, and once the idea came up, I really couldn’t think of anyone other than Eddie for the book.
>I’ve heard less-informed people describe his art as scratchy, or unfinished and unrealistic, and these are generally people whose idea of realism is over-rendered superhero comics. Eddie’s stuff is actually very realistic, because when you look at things in life they don’t have a fine line drawn around them, every detail is not immediately apparent. He creates an incredibly believable naturalism and all the scenes look like they’re taking place in the same world; there’s no sudden excursion into “Horror World”. If the characters are having sex, or buying a candle at the corner shop, or having a conversation, or ritually disembowelling a prostitute…. it all happens in the same absolutely credible world.

>pretentious
Is there a more meaningless "criticism?"

overrated

That is mostly meaningless as well, true, but at least it implies the person doesn't think the work's qualities are as good as everyone else makes them up to be. It's not real criticism either but at least it implies something. I've seen countless things called "pretentious" and most of the time I genuinely can't figure out why.

This isn't something Moore made up on his own. There is a backmatter you know. Also, the book isn't about "sexism", it's about how Jack the Ripper and his killings gave birth to the 20th Century, the comic isn't even subtle about this.

Between the art and the scribbly handwriting, it took me a couple of attempts to get all the way through it. Once I got into it though, I enjoyed the story.

I think pretentious can fit many of moores works, nothing is understated and the point of the work is to give a much more grand importance to what amounted to 5 dead hookers in a big city. Turning a serial killer into the hand of the monarchy and the patriarchy, telling you that colonial england was a monster, using the church architecture as a symbol for the horrors allowed to be perpetuated against women, it is just a bit much and preachy. It is a beautiful work, it is composed so well, the style of the writing, and the elements of the supernatural are great. I am not denying that. But the point of the damn thing, the conclusion of the story, the final message we are told, just feels empty and, yes, pretentious. Not satisfying. Followed by 60 pages of moore explaining how he read conspiracy theories and serial killer manuals and how the whole endeavor was pointless and how magic is real but not really etc.

>gets told that the book isn't even about sexism
>"B-BUT MUH SEXISM!!! WAAAAHHH!!!!!"
Alright, cool troll thread.

"Pretentious" is brainlet for "me don't like this"

Why are you like this? I am really trying to explain how I felt reading this and why the book did not click as much with me. I am sorry if I offended you jeez

Are you saying pretentious does not exist as a valid criticism? Ever?

Also sexism is ultimately the motivation of gull

Attached: RCO047.jpg (1340x2048, 684K)