The Hobbit(1977)

>Literally only turns someone invisible
>Somehow is the most dangerous thing on the planet

Attached: AED5BB6B-556A-435B-8FBB-23CF1F94D002.png (1624x750, 1.55M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2Fw0lEaxiVs
youtube.com/watch?v=tnejQ669cLc&t=54s
youtube.com/watch?v=am-piARxy4U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The Hobbit wasn't connected to the larger Middle-Earth cycle at the time it was written. Though even if it were, it's likely adaptations wouldn't have included the other effects of wearing the ring

in the original book it was literally just that, a ring of invisibility that gollum gave to bilbo for solving his riddles. but the thing was that the hobbit was a story meant for tolkien to read to his children, but when his children grew up, he decided to mature his own writing by setting LotR on a much grander scale. since LotR was a follow-up to the hobbit, some elements from said previous title were lifted from that to its follow-up and given grander significance, such as the ring being a piece of the dark lord sauron's soul instead of just an invisibility ring.

Also it fits the myth of platos invisible ring to make it a symbol of true goodness to resist using it.

You could probably get away with a whole lotta rapes with it. Not like Middle Earth has a forensics lab or anything.

>Bitches acting like he didn't rip off elements whole cloth from Wagner

Attached: srsly.png (331x249, 92K)

it's dangerous in that possessing it tends to turn you into a paranoid lunatic who amasses power just to kill people cuz you think they're gonna steal your ring, and if Big Bad Guy gets it he can level up his power

Reminder this movie has the best Gollum

Attached: d9882f20e31b73221dc56dda6f1a8ce0.jpg (340x265, 22K)

Also it's sapient and can and will fuck you over if you wear it long enough in order to find a better host.

Imagine an evil wizard, except he's invisible. Dude could just sit around casting fireball spells to destroy every major city and the archers would never know where to shoot.

And the best Smaug.

Attached: thumb-hobbitrotk.jpg (600x375, 18K)

I think it's fucking pathetic that a bat eared cat dragon from the seventies came off as more threatening than something worked on by multiple modern computers with motion capture programming and voiced by Cumbersnatch.

The Witch King was better in ROTK too.

that's bullshit though since he told his kids silmarillion stories and other lore too otherwise it wouldn't have been published. and he wrote LOTR as a challenge between him and CS Lewis to write a fantasy/sci-fi story and the latter wrote the underrated Space Trilogy.

thats because he had 4 legs and wings instead of looking like a big dumb chicken boy

That's probably a huge portion of it, yeah.

Dude was Skeletor.

FĂ«anor did nothing wrong.

Attached: Jenny_Dolfen_-_Feanor%27s_Last_Stand.jpg (700x968, 212K)

also there's no scene where he gets covered in macaroni cheese gold

>Gandalf fucking instant transmissions from a tree
>'I am Gandalf! And Gandalf, Means. ME!
>Misty Mountains cold starts playing

Pretty good intro.

youtube.com/watch?v=2Fw0lEaxiVs

Uh yeah, that was kind of his intention?

It turns Bilbo invisible because he's small and nimble. The power changes depending on the person.

And Wagner just ripped shit straight from the Prose Edda, what's your point.

recently rewatched it and the death scene looks very much like the trial run of the style that was used in Flight of Dragons. Great bit of work
youtube.com/watch?v=tnejQ669cLc&t=54s

>WE DON'T WANNA GO TO WORK TODAY
>BUT THE LORD OF THE LASHES SAYS NAY NAY NAY
>WE'RE GONNA MARCH ALL DAY ALL DAY ALL DAYY (ALL DAY)
>WHERE THERE'S A WHIP THERE'S A WAY

Flight of Dragons and Last Unicorn are both the same teams as the Hobbit. Most of those people worked on Thundercats and Silver Hawks too.

I know, just commenting that I like how they do dragon deaths

I'm just glad Smaug doesn't inflate like a balloon to fly.

Implying Tolkien is a plagiarist instead of a celebrant of the whole of Western folklore and mythology, both pagan and Christian, is the lowest IQ thing I have ever witnessed on Yea Forums. Well done.

Tolkein hated Wagner and his fans.

Please don't ever have a conversation about Tolkien again.

It's the voice and delivery. They got the actor from Have Gun Will Travel to be Smaug in the cartoon.

It helps that Bilbo was far more ballsy in the cartoon than in the movies.

Tolkein was an old time professor who hated everything modern and pissed off ever academic and writer with his stories about hobbits. Him and Lewis were top tier British Bantzmasters.

He'd honestly roast Modern Britian for trying to be more like America

Tolkien wouldn't know a trow from a troll. He slapped West Germanic folklore (especially Der Ring des Nibelungen) on WWI and included Christian elements because of course he did. His own folklore is poorly developed and self contradictory and he broadly ignores the other European folklore except for Otherworld.

Tolkein didn't care about allegory. He wanted to create a fairy story where he can fuck elf women as god intended.

>He wanted to create a fairy story where he can fuck elf women as god intended.
Which is why you do nothing but follow around sweaty men for 98% of LotR and the Hobbit.

Tolkien got so booty blasted that English folklore is just bastardized Irish folklore that he used virtually nothing but bastardized Nordic folklore for his most famous works just so he could exclude the Irish. A bantzmaster wouldn't get so badly wrecked by folks like Yeats that he'd completely ignore his own English heritage when writing what is supposed to be a uniquely English mythology.

>Nimoy the Palantir!
>Nimoy!
>Nimoy stop fucking singing and tell me where the Palantir is!

>>Literally only turns someone invisible
Because Fodo and Bilbo were too weak to use all of it's abilities.

The wearer's species, actually. The One Ring makes hobbits invisible, but it has other effects on elves, dwarves, men, orcs, etc.

better voice actor , plus he used the boast of smaug from the book.

...I feel like I've been missing something major for a long time.

Where are you getting this from? It makes you invisible because it draws you partially into the spirit realm.

Sauron could use it for much more magic, the elves can also use the rings to nearly the full potential. Gandalf and Saroman feared what the Ring could let them do. I think it's less about the race and more about how magically inclined they were. Hobbits are just WAY down the scale in that department

It's been forever since I read the original books but I'm pretty sure it's mentioned in the films for what that's worth.

Did you ever notice that orcs only make up 14% of middle Earth's population but commit 50% of pillaging?

>wagner
Someone hasn't read any finnish fairy tales I see
The ring can do many things, for hobbits it turns them invisible because hiding is what they're best at and is their instinctual defense mechanism, as explained in chapter one.
When Frodo got angry at Gollum and put on the Ring he appeared as a bright, tall Lord of light with a booming voice. When Samwise wore it to save Frodo he gained the appearance of a fearsome berserker warrior. The Rings power on Aragorn was what Sauron feared most, which is why Gandalf was wise to send in the underestimated Hobbits.

Goblins have a much bigger population and commit even more petty crimes. Now you could say it's poverty, but then why do they make so many babies?

Tolkien further links this skill at stealth to the "frame story" of LotR, which is that he is literally translating the books Bilbo, Fredo, and Sam wrote, the Red Book which was passed doen Sams descendants until Tolkien meets the last surviving hobbits who gift it to him. The Silmarillion is similarly and english translation of Bilbos translation of Elvish stories, thus mimicking the "telephone" game that is the King James Bible.

I loved this movie so much as a kid. This and The Last Unicorn. And Nausicaa.

Attached: I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG! My armor is like tenfold shields; my te (384x263, 757K)

Isn't it because Hobbits prefer to avoid trouble and are good at hiding themselves?

Mental state does have something to do with it though. Both Smeagol and Bilbo were focused on escaping while they were first using the Ring and Fredo grew up seeing Bilbo use it to make himself invisible.

Sam, on the other hand, was tempted to use it to conquer Mordor by calling others to his aid (the Fellowship on a grand scale) and raising a garden to replace the devastation left by Sauron and his armies.

Also the animated interpretation of Sam's temptation was something that has to be seen to be believed.

youtube.com/watch?v=am-piARxy4U

And then there's Galadriel's whole thing. She clearly didn't plan on turning invisible. Judging by what she was saying I don't think there'd be a soul left that couldn't see her even if they were blind.