ITT: Comics that were good but did damage to the state of comics

>ITT: Comics that were good but did damage to the state of comics

Actually a good book, but holy fuck every comic that tried to imitate it sucked.

Attached: 00.jpg (1280x1968, 440K)

Attached: 954695.jpg (600x883, 118K)

That's it, that's the thread.

tommy is that you?
no wait, he wouldn't say it's a good comic

Morrison was the moment when the X-Men fell into their slump they have not escaped from. When they went from Superheroes who were a bad racial or gay analogy in the hands of a bad writer into the Cool Club for Special People.
So fans & writer-fans could jerk off about how special they and the X-Men were oppressed by the Normies. It's a self-indulgent power fantasy beyond the normal power fantasy of superhero comics.

Attached: file.png (250x387, 245K)

>on a similar note

Attached: spider-man-no-1.jpg (367x550, 86K)

Both The Killing Joke and The Dark Knight Returns are both good comics that are also largely to blame of many of the issues that plague modern batman comics.

Comic shops are still suffering due to this issue existing.

Attached: X-Men-1-1991-Lot-All-5-Variant-Covers.jpg (1600x1166, 418K)

This will be my final post on Yea Forums.

How can anyone think that this is scary for real ? How can anyone take seriously a horror book with Spider-Man fighting frightening monsters ? How can anyone see a Spider-Man as frightening and alien for real ?
"Ouh, his webs are all weird and tentacley, so unsetlling, this is so scary guys..." why are you lying to yourself like that ?
You guys are just forcing onto yourself the new fade there will be in this hivemind of a board, with the blandest, tamest, most classicly safe comic book there can be, while your selective outrage is shitting on Byrne's Superman for things that would be praised if they were written by someone else, but NOOOOOOOOOOOO you have to shit on it even if it's good because the hivemind dictates you to do so !!!

No wonder you can't get laid, but guess what ? I got a girlfriend now. For the first time of my life after 25 years I finally got a girlfriend, and all that nerd fuss has become so irritating since.
I'm just leaving for good now, I had plenty of fun with that board but I'm done. I wish you to get girlfriends to, maybe it will open your eyes about the hivemind that is destructing your self, but sadly, the hivemind is probably keeping you away from being able to seduce anyone, so you're most likely trapped in a vicious circle, and sadly, there is no Savage Dragon to save you from it. I just hope that this message will maybe help you to think by yourself a bit more and to get a girlfriend to.

Enjoy your book.

honestly I think the real problem with Morrison's run is that it led to a lot of the edgy stuff that made comics at both DC and Marvel to be nigh unreadable for much of this century so far

see you tomorrow

Wow that’s funny I literally saw a lot of these at my lcs, why is that and why are they bad?

Never read it, but seems stylistically similar to that Midnighter run from a couple years ago. Accurate?

Not at all.

Then which comics copied Fraction’s Hawkeye run?

X-Men #1 sold 8 million copies at launch, which to this day makes it the best selling comic of all time. This and Spider-Man #1 were pretty much the high point right before the speculator bubble burst in the 90s and the comics market fell to shambles.

>Morrison was the moment when the X-Men fell into their slump they have not escaped from.

I'd have thought that if not for the whole Ike vs Fox thing.

People who wrote Hawkeye after. The problem was that Fraction made both Kate and Clint a hot mess but with the former hyping herself up and the latter being more self-deprecating. Writers that followed turned the dynamic into Kate the competent and Clint the moron.

Actually you know what, the downfall of the X-Men could arguably be when editorial prioritized Jim Lee over Chris Claremont (and Jim Lee eventually bailed for Image), but the Lee designs ended up being iconic in their own way. X-Men #1 selling 8 million copies to retailers would've worked on account that the cartoon had gained a massive following, that would've created an audience willing to go to comic shops and other places to get comics. Problem is that comic companies fucked up badly.

And I'd almost want to say New X-Men started that slump... But now that I think of it, I'd put more of the blame on the X-Men movie. For its time it was reasonable for what you'd expect from a superhero film from the 90's, But it basically stripped the X-Men of its glamour and fantastical elements in favor of a more mundane design. Morrison's New X-Men (and also Millar's Ultimate X-Men) followed from that. I imagine that even if Morrison and Millar hadn't done the books, Marvel would've still wanted a pitch that was as close to the movies without using the actual movie stuff.

That is unfortunate. Fraction’s dynamic sounds fun.

>white men bad
>lol women are so much smarter and better then men at everything
that insecurity of the writer was amazing

TDKR and Killing Joke, both absolutely ruined Batman and DC as a whole and it’s effects can still be felt even today

the covers are so badass, even I as a none collector would have bought 1 of each
such a far cry form the shitty art we get nowadays

I don't think any other comic that was so good has had such a terrible impact. Despite fact Moore wrote the story to be a shot one vignette about two people in a bizarre situation, almost every major event in the book is repeated in every Batman story in a painfully boring fashion. Some more prominent examples include,

> Barbara is reduced to some weirdo cripple in a wheelchair in literally every single Batman story. Oracle is just a terrible concept in general and shows what happens when woketards try to 'recover' oddities and turn them into empowering concepts
> One Bad Day, despite being DIRECTLY REFUTED within the story itself, is trotted out all the time
> Ultra serious, grim, super dark Joker is now the definitive version of the Joker, resulting in dozens of writers attempting to outdo Moore in how nasty the Joker can be. We are now at the point where the Joker has become evil Batman who kills everyone on earth.

The most interesting parts of the story are rarely if ever brought out by other writers; the sympathetic portrayal of the Joker, and the sheer patheticness of the character and his situation. Also the amazing art of the original book. Even the animated adaptation doesn't do either of these parts properly.

I know everyone likes to shit on Alan Moore but he's entirely justified when he says the Joker and Batman should go back to being dumb silly characters. Unsurprisingly the most interesting Joker stuff of the last 20 years comes from The Brave and the Bold, which recognises that Batman is silly and should be treated as such.

Attached: its all a joke.jpg (196x258, 16K)

>Actually a good book
BRO XD

Attached: 1569220887908.png (500x281, 107K)

Naw. Hawkeye was already a pointedly unreadable parody of itself by the second arc.

This is a level of new I haven't seen in a very long time

Do you always rely on 'tell' instead of 'show'?

Attached: XIAceKB84oiklz501PHfuJ3MmSxF7bTDg9qWsQvEjd.jpg (760x381, 107K)