Why is the "generic" calarts style so hated here...

Why is the "generic" calarts style so hated here? I don't see it as being any different from the copy paste anime style that everyone loves so much

Attached: 50D514B8-1D9B-43C8-8891-711B4F20A0D3.jpg (500x566, 40K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/channels/calartscharanimfilms2019
youtube.com/watch?v=P-rU2nPAIQc
web.archive.org/web/20170710034228/http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/2010/01/cal-arts-style.html?m=1
waifulabs.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=KK541L5x_IY
youtube.com/watch?v=lLc44Kmq8qc
grownups.pbskids.org/arthur/games/factsopinions/index.html
vimeo.com/333447138
vimeo.com/332805663
vimeo.com/332912270
vimeo.com/333183021
vimeo.com/266164100
vimeo.com/265376326
vimeo.com/259026673
vimeo.com/11544212
youtube.com/watch?v=4V5ryctuddk
youtube.com/watch?v=GBueZGyXJ-s
girlschannel.net/topics/571489/
youtube.com/watch?v=9VP5oZMYzIE
youtube.com/watch?v=l6vCdFriZbY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Masterpiece_Theater
youtube.com/watch?v=-1rdIWlf8uI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Thats bland and shitty yet this is so creative and different?

Attached: 6EF13710-46EC-4907-8C54-72E6B226B696.png (560x400, 26K)

The anime doesn't come with politics

Because calarts style only lends itself to one type of show.

>Actually believing that

what about Afro Rasta-reggaeton style?

Define politics.

B-but it wasn't always like that!

Attached: 4A43CA14-A643-4AB8-A8B3-BFA0EB9EB51A.jpg (456x546, 165K)

It's a made up thing because people suck John K's dick, and ignore that he coined the phrase while shitting on Iron Giant.

You don't come with a brain apparently

CalArts style is based on a gag expression from '80s anime that modern anime doesn't even use anymore.

Attached: AnimeBeanmouth.jpg (1224x890, 199K)

people have been drawing bean mouths before that. I don't think 80's jap animators "invented it"

>Gumball was animated in UK and none of it's creators go to calarts
>Rebecca sugar never went to calarts. Same for it's storyboarders and animators

Why is this called calarts style again?

>one cheap studio and one character designer (ed benedict)

>vs several expensive studios and several character designers in the age of the internet

Fuck off

>Same for it's storyboarders and animators
Jeff Liu and Joe Johnston went to CalArts

Because a lot of people worship John K. and he said "Calarts style" when he was telling people how much he hated Iron Giant.

His blog is still up, you can just read it if you want.

Attached: iron giant mansley.jpg (500x500, 40K)

first ones are all from hannah barbera you retard

Someone could make a shitty cartoon in the "calarts" style and if they said the n word you would all ride the cartoons dick calling it a masterpiece

So this is the PURE Calarts style?

Attached: iron-giant-diner-scene.jpg (500x211, 57K)

western animators are so bad they had to use time-traveling-jutsu to '80s and stole Japan's art style back in 1933

Attached: western animators so bad!.png (243x198, 63K)

That at least has a beat you can dance to.

It's short hand that's easily understood. The correct term is Bauhaus because Calarts means something else but it doesn't really matter since everyone who isn't being a facetious dick understands what you mean.

It actually has only a bit to do with Calarts, since Calarts and its graduates have as of late shifted to a lower quality style based in Bauhaus design philosophy, but it is what it is.

He never said he hated The Iron Giant. He criticizing the art style which, yes, was pretty much in every 2d animated film at the time (a Milt Kahl/Don Bluth look)

When Yea Forums started using the term we were talking about Adventure Time (a literal calarts show) and it's wannabes and then it turned into Steven Universe and beanmouths (which are used in literal CalArts shows like Gravity Falls, Star vs., Clarence and We Bare Bears)

>everyone who isn't being a facetious dick understands what you mean.
>meme packaged for retards, but sure, everyone understands what it REALLY means!
This faggot...

>anime
Too many shit light novel anime.

its just a convenient shorthand used by people who are sick of debating semantics until the thread 404's

Sounds pretty revisionist. Back when it was thrown around the most around here, no one who talked about it knew shit about animation, it was clearly all bandwagon bullshit. So at best your saying smarter people tricked idiots into using a buzzword.

Anyone actually got a link to the blog? I'm not finding it at the moment.

is cal arts the new anime? in that its the most commonly used art style by new artist/kids

Why do we have this thread every week

The personal sketchbooks of incoming calarts students are so diverse, as i was looking through various blogs and youtube sketchbook flipthroughs. But the fucking graduate student portfolios are fucking and tube and balloon bullshit.

I want to fucking kill the shit head dean of that college.

You mean these graduate portfolios?
vimeo.com/channels/calartscharanimfilms2019

Attached: 1561253176051.jpg (1600x1095, 937K)

It would be easier to compare all the meddling kids shows of the 70s. It's all just Shaggy, Fred, and Daphne over and over and over again.

Attached: 12.jpg (974x821, 145K)

Yea but animators in 2014 were kids drawing 80s anime in 2003 when they were in middle school. Back when all things old anime was fucking huge and popular. They all went to art school in the late 00s hoping to make their own anime some day.

Whatever happened to Bauhaus user? He was spreading the real truths about the world.

Ever since the popularity of Adventure time you've been able to see a rise in anti-2010s cartoons. Cal Arts is a forced meme same way Yea Forums turned >Fun is a buzzword
into a real thing. With the popularity of these shows and the growth of Yea Forums (pre 2010 Yea Forums was one of the slowest boards until a certain horse show made it blow up) you've gotten a higher number of newfags who repeat what is given to them, most of the time they have no idea how the industry works and their knowledge on anything about it comes exclusively from here.

Patient Zero was Flapjack. Everyone left that series to keep on doing the same thing everywhere else. And now in 2019 it's just being repeated because of popularity.

Attached: 1539613760628.jpg (1280x1920, 505K)

>some turbo autist made this
>signed it
Sometimes I forget people like that exist.

bravest warriors was made by the adventure time dude?????

that explains why bravest warriors turned to shit after season 2. what a bummer.

You brought this on yourselves

Attached: Johnny_large.png (293x462, 23K)

>Summer Camp Island
>CalArts
Sure, you can make the case for every single other on the list, but you must be retarded to think SCI is anywhere NEAR the style of the other shows.

Attached: Reviewbrah.jpg (480x480, 15K)

youtube.com/watch?v=P-rU2nPAIQc

I find the bigger issue with western cartoon is the lack of diversity. It is like everywhere you look you either get retarded kiddie light hearted comedy slice of life or brainless fighting superhero. Like holy shit, two fucking flavors guise, how the fuck you niggers manage to stuff this shit down your throat is beyond me

Meanwhile in anime / manga we have : brainless fighting shit, am i kawaii uguu shit, pretentious 2deep4u shit, mysterious murder shit, sport shit, NEET shit, gamble addicts shit, sport shit, superior japanese food cooking shit. And this is just off the top of my head

Attached: easy mode.png (600x453, 179K)

hanna barbara is one guy tho

i really dont give two shits but anime does more than what you posted below. Bean head or cal arts is closer too amatures style if anything.

Anime may have a generic style, but if you go check out anichart, you'll still see a range in styles and premises. Not to mention use of color and shading.

joseph barbera and william hanna were one guy?

They clearly copied Crayon Shin Chan.

what a terrible take

>Why is this called calarts style again?

Dont take their boogeyman away from them

Older cartoons looked samey because they had to cut corners, but it was never with evil intent.
Everything new is being made cheap not because it has to, but because no one gives a shit and it is with EXTREMELY ill intent.

No, I want to be like those Star Trek episodes where Kirk sees a fucked alien society and then just shows them how stupid they were, worshipping a mircrowave or whatever retarded shit.

>Old cartoons were pure, LIKE WATER!
>New cartoons are bad, like them POKEMON CREATURES!

the amount of hate this post got really affirms its message.

Social justice
Proving my point. The "calarts style" is just a cheap industry standard seen here
No one would care so much if it wasn't associated with leftist bullshit.
Name a anime as preachy as star vs. or Steven universe.

a completely original character that was never reproduced.

Attached: angry-ozzie.gif (220x234, 5K)

That's the stupidest thing a faggot has said all day.

>Everything new is being made cheap not because it has to, but because no one gives a shit and it is with EXTREMELY ill intent.
it’s all still extremely cheaply made because it can be. Why would a studio executive pour money into a higher budget show when they can get more money from a show that piggybacks on current trends.
Your problem is with execs who don’t take risks and don’t care about the medium, not the artists that would LIKE to make something new, but are forced to reboot some 80s property with a $5 budget because that’s what the higher ups want.

>"All these people telling me not to pour gasoline on myself and set myself on fire really reaffirm that it's the best thing to do."

every american cartoon is the same.

the same stock characters

the same "random" humor

the same calarts art style

sounds like anime

every japanese anime is the same

the same boys with funny hair fighting other boys with funny hair

the same “there are boobs in this shot” and “this character likes food” humor

the same cold, lifeless designs and style

>close enough
>2018
l o l

both correct

>Close Enough
>2018
I'm sad now.

Vale, shut your ass up and go the fuck to sleep

Correct, stutter-user (you should get that checked, speech impediments are no laughing matter).

Yea Forums would be a better place without the lame ass edgy alt-rightism
we might actually be able to discuss things

It's not as hated as much as it should be.
Comics and cartoons should be a medium to be cherished.
The artform was sacrificed, now we're here. Knee deep in shit threads and retarded posters

Weebs. They're projecting their anime sameface onto a superior art style.

Anime has action cartoons, comedy cartoons, romance cartoons etc.

American cartoons are just endlessly remaking the same episode of the Simpsons. if you've seen one american cartoon you've seen them all.

>Name a anime as preachy as star vs. or Steven universe.
Persona 5 the Animation

he meant the actual design artist retard

Felix the Cat with rabbit ears

>Anime has action cartoons, comedy cartoons, romance cartoons etc
Sounds like American cartoons as well. You can't say The Amazing World of Gumball is like Cannon Busters.

>Cannon Busters
>An anime original net animation by Satelight and Yumeta Company was released on Netflix on August 15, 2019.

>action cartoons, comedy cartoons, romance cartoons etc

US has those too

but keep covering your ears tho

Made by the artist of The Boondocks senpai

Forgot pic, here's your writer bro

Attached: https___blogs-images.forbes.com_olliebarder_files_2017_09_lesean_cover.jpg (960x640, 43K)

That needs to go way further back to include all the Nicktoons and Cartoon Cartoons that people worked on as well.

First, both this image and the OP image are super misleading. The real reason Calarts sucks dick is because of the incredibly boring-looking noodle limbs and the lack of detail to everything which (in most, though not all) cases is not made up for by animation quality. Gumball and Gravity Falls generally get away with it because they have pretty decent animation to make up for the relatively derivative designs. Steven Universe has fucking nice background art, but the actual characters look boring and the animation is usually fucking stiff as a board. I'm not familiar enough with Star to make a call on that one, so whatever.

Darling in the Franxx

I also love how you cut out the part where it says it's American
>>Cannon Busters is an American fantasy comic book series by LeSean Thomas, launched in March 2005. An anime original net animation by Satelight and Yumeta Company was released on Netflix on August 15, 2019.

Darling in the FranXX was critically panned like the total fucking flop it was, though.

Considering how much anime is produced, it's easy to see why they have to use simplified art.

Read A Centaur's life.

it's an anime clone animated in japan.

Attached: 1561303837786.jpg (477x268, 18K)

>all the retards taking this seriously when it's literally from some flash dressup game

Made by an American writer and adapted from his American comic book that was sold in America.

Attached: 912GwIy+XrL.jpg (1301x2065, 641K)

Cartoons are better than anime because Cartoons have yet to have a moment THIS bad.

Attached: 9tp0zWw.jpg (1200x675, 115K)

I don't get it

who hear likes both anime and cartoons and just wishes that cartoons can be treated more serious in the public eye beyond the stigma that is Disney?

My favourite episode was the one where they talked the whole time.

Over here nigga

Attached: Madam_bride.png (425x425, 199K)

Count yourself fucking lucky.
TL;DR The most loyal girl fiction has ever known gives the MC a love confession that uses a Japanese "I love you" type phrase that carries the same sort of weight and passion as an 80 year old saying it to her husband of 60 years on her deathbed. Ten straight minutes are spent on this love confession, a confession which brings the MC back from utter hopelessness and despair.
AND THE RETARD TURNS IT DOWN FOR HIS ONEITIS WHO HAS SHOWN HIM ABSOLUTELY NO AFFECTION WHATSOEVER IN THE PAST TEN EPISODES

Attached: 1470002330462.jpg (587x663, 76K)

It's kind of funny when you think of Western thoughts when it comes to Japanese things.

We think of Anime as more serious than cartoons. This is of course the stigma left by stuff like Disney not being taken serious, while we do get certain anime that wouldn't pass off as 4kids garbage.

While with superheroes, the west finds western superheros more serious than japanese superheroes. this is mainly because of the Power Rangers stigma.

No you don't get it what you do is you project yourself onto the main character as Rem gives the speech then when car-kun tells her to fuck off you stop relating to him and wish for him to die.

What, you didn't like when it when FLYING OFF THE RAILS AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT?

Don't know about you guys, but I'm enjoying

Mission: Yozakura Family

I really hope it stays awhile.

I dunno, but bless him.

Attached: 1525901237616.jpg (1233x4254, 3.65M)

the moral of the story is that cartoons have always been shit.

Art is bad now because it is too focused on what is, rather than what could be. People are either unable to see past the present, or are unwilling to. Such is why we have mediocrity both in design and story; the only thing that now matters is the present. Why sacrifice effort to make a good character design, write a timeless story to crystalize the abstract? Why dream? You are going to die. And your death is the only thing that matters.

Pathetic, it is. Fucking pathetic.

>slight variation of cal arts
>SEE GUYS??? ITS DIFFERENT AND NOT TOTALLY ASS

You don't even know what Calarts means, do you? It just means "thing I don't like" in your mind, doesn't it?

>"""THE""" anime style
Retard alert.

Attached: 1564240744457.jpg (2108x2921, 2.16M)

Just because animes contains politics you don't know about doesn't mean they aren't political.

The designs didn't tip you off?

He deleted the post
web.archive.org/web/20170710034228/http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/2010/01/cal-arts-style.html?m=1

>this is your brain on anime
Stay in school, kids.

Except they weren't always shit.
See: the 30s to early 50s and the late 80s to early 2000s

How is this that preschool shows continue to kick ass stylistically while 7+ shows are stuck in the calarts comedy rut?

Attached: tablet-character-splash.jpg (800x546, 116K)

Bottom-right isn't a preschool show you stupid cunt, it's the Protegent anti-virus software mascot.

Attached: kids-mezzannine-16x9_379.jpg (1920x1080, 141K)

Did he delete it for any particular reason?

I AM PROTO, YOUR SECURITY IS MY MOTTO

No.
John may have coined the term, but nobody gave a shit about his autistic rant over the Iron Giant because it happened to be a movie beloved by a lot of people, despite flopping really badly.
The current cartoon trend of having thin lined, noodle arms and potato faces started exactly in 2010, where Adventure Time was premiered in Cartoon Network.
Why Adventure Time in particular? Because for the first time in years after the dark age of CN, they struck gold when AT got big. AT popularized minimalist designs, whimsical settings+DEEPEST LORE and made up words for humor (i.e; what the bleep blop are you bleeping about), that every network wanted their hands on their very own version of AT. Why do you think so many cartoons of the 2010s visually look similar to each other?
>but this has nothing to do with Calarts
Yes it does. Pen Ward, Alex Hirsch, and J.G. Quintel all studied at CalARTS, and they were responsible for making three of the most popular cartoons of the decade, it’s no wonder that other networks took cues from their work and have been wanting to strike lightning before the decade ends.
Sabrina Cotugno and Matt Braly also went to CalARTS and the former is getting her own cartoon, from what I’ve heard.

Warning: mind blowing
In anime, every time the camera pans towards the sun, it's referencing the greatness of Japan (the Land of the Rising Sun). It's the equivalent of a US cartoon showing the flag or a bald eagle.

Western cartoons != Cartoon Network (and other TV networks)
Once you expand past TV execs you get true diversity.

Attached: shadow comfy.jpg (1920x1080, 297K)

lmfao

>lesbian cat breakup on netflix
>gay cat parenting on cn
!current_year is online good for cats user

Murder at Makeout Point is great though.

Does he think Iron Giant is okay now that cartoons have sucked for the past six years?

You weebs sure are pathetic.

Yeah, and it sucked then too

Ugly

Cute

That's the difference.
Also, anime actually comes in different art styles (obviously ignore Disney in this image), but this is a bait thread, so I know reality is not that important to you.

Attached: 58f.png (960x525, 601K)

Depends but usually no.

waifulabs.com/

when are we getting calartslabs?

Attached: 2019-09-21_01-37-54.png (1277x740, 1.43M)

The only ones with actual differences are DragonBall, Disney and JoJo.
All the rest are those bug-eyed, noseless aliens.

but pokemon IS bad

>(obviously ignore the thing that doesn't fit my narrative in this image)

Bug eyes, dot/comma nose, gumdrop mouth with optional mono-tooth.

My mistake, Disney is obviously an anime studio.
Are you fucking retarded, user?

Probably never, because CalArts style is ugly, like I said. Even that generator seems to have its own style. You wouldn't mistake the character in your image for a Naruto or Lucky Star character, for example.

>actual differences
>all subtlety in art style/form is false and everything looks the same unless it's exaggerated, I have face blindness please be patient with me
True power. Still far more diversity than , either way

Attached: anime_art_styles1.jpg (366x455, 78K)

didn't mean to quote in this post, but

They once had a Japanese animation department but they have since split off and was renamed into The Answer Studio in 2004.

this

Literally any fucking Gundam.

>meme vs reality
>no difference between the two
Consider my almonds activated

cope

Turn down girl that has killed you several times for girl that hasn't killed you at all.

have sex

Okay, nigger

Attached: 1516978515748.png (644x285, 32K)

The Calarts era is over.

Attached: calarts.jpg (3750x2400, 1.75M)

>blue checkmark opinions
Cope

Infinity Train is the only decent one.
Twelve Forever is just an upgraded version of the style of The Replacements.

Attached: MV5BOWFhMDVhOWUtYzJjNS00MDgwLWJmN2QtMzliMmRhMTE4N2VlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDgyODgxNjE@._V1_.jpg (900x592, 110K)

Press S to spit on CalArts grave

Attached: 1569122796584.png (1368x766, 1.27M)

>Infinity Train
>Decent

it's also over three times as many examples, real salient fucking point you have there

What show is middle far right?

aka. Krazy Kat but less good

But were still suffering through still and stilted animation from Korea.
This (if successful enough) will stop it.
youtube.com/watch?v=KK541L5x_IY

You said
>anime actually comes in different art styles
which means that you think Japanese animation has different art styles while western animation doesn't. Then you provided evidence against you and asked to ignore it when you said
>obviously ignore Disney
in the very next sentence.

>he watch LN adaptations
>he watch isekais
>he watch seasonal shit
Its your fault for watching shit

>comparing anime from different time periods to cartoons from the same time period

Also at least cartoon characters in the same show look different, a typical anime has all waifus having the same face, and only distinguishable by their hair.

Okay

>which means that you think Japanese animation has different art styles while western animation doesn't.
This is a complete strawman. This thread is about the stereotypical "CalArts style", not western animation as a whole, you dunce. Don't get involved if you don't even understand the topic.

>he wants normalfags to invade us
>he cares about the opinions of other
Kek, faggot

How many anime from this time period look exactly the same, down to heads, mouths and eye shape? Please post a chart so we can compare to .
>a typical anime
From when, with which directors, artists, etc?

It's not a strawman, it's literally what the post says.
>anime actually comes in different art styles
It's also what people who fall for the calarts meme always say in the first place.

>(obviously ignore Disney in this image)
Why, because it’s the only one besides Dragon Ball that actually has a distinct and unique look?
It all looks the same. You just say it’s good because you’re lonely and horny.

What post? The OP? It literally reads "Why is the "generic" calarts style so hated here?", not whatever you imagined about all western animation ever. I also never mentioned western animation as a whole.
>It's also what people who fall for the calarts meme always say in the first place.
>Other people say this, so it must be also what this completely different person is saying here (even though nothing they said indicates that)
More strawmanning

>lonely and horny
>projecting this much
See Sorry about your face blindness, but not everyone suffers from the same problems as you

Manga adaptation?
A lot of them have their own style, so there isnt that much "calart effect" going on
LN adaptation?
It depends on the studio, theworst the studio is the more generic it looks
waifu bait and seasonal garbage?
It all looks the same, they are cheap to make

c h a r t

The show however was produced in Japan based off a western source, like with Sherlock Hound and Powerpuff Girls Z.

>What post? The OP?
No? Why would you think I'm talking about the OP when I'm linking and directly quoting ?

>Other people say this
You're right, that's not fair, let's go by what the post itself says.

>even though nothing they said indicates that
Let's analyze the post. First it compares the two images. One is stated to be ugly, the other is stated to be cute. Nothing wrong so far.
Then it proceeds to explain what he thinks is another difference: anime comes in different art styles. What is he comparing anime with? Anime means Japanese animation as a whole, he's not talking about a specific art style. The only way for this sentence to make sense would be if it was comparing Japanese animation with western animation, claiming that all western animation looks the same. The only other interpretation makes no sense, because it would be a comparison between anime and one specific art style.
>anime comes in different art styles, unlike this specific art style!
See? That doesn't make sense. It's not a fair comparison. It would be extremely stupid for him to seriously say that.

This is just you rationalizing your reading comprehension error, and it's pathetic.
I was responding to directly, because they compared this specific art style to anime as a whole. They created this pretence, and I responded directly to it. Your beef of "making no sense" is with them, not me.
Make your own thread about the entire western animation industry, you're clearly too low IQ to post in this one on good faith.

>Anime means Japanese animation as a whole, he's not talking about a specific art style.
OP explicitly says "copy and paste anime artystle" when most anime look vastly different in both artstyle and animation. This applies to most Western shit too, of course, but it's still a stupid fucking comparison.

Fuck, you're right, I'm retarded, you completely fucking destroyed me, great job user, I'm on your side now, can't wait for OP's comeback

Really says a lot about our society.

Yeah, exactly. Do better next time and think before posting so you won't embarrass yourself, user.

>any form of social commentary is brainwashing

I fucking hate you people.

Reminder about whenever the down fall of cartoons always gets brought up this will always explain everything.
>TLDR; Blame Avatar:TLA for the death of funny animals.

Attached: hope-v3.jpg (1991x6543, 2.1M)

>Symbionic Titan, ATLA, and LoK
>"shows noone with half a brain cell will even touch"
Bad bait

Not bait, fact.

Oh no
It's THIS guy again

Attached: 5226642.gif (353x234, 1.22M)

Per your own definition, every PI in the world and the CIA are autists.

Not even close, this chart was originated by Jerry Beck.

When all these Californian bozos with an axe to grind against Da Patriarchy talk about the rampant homelessness, the trillion dollar debt, the increasing wealth disparity in their oh so progressive, inclusive state, then we'll talk social commentary. Meanwhile, these are corporate stooges worshiping Disney.

We need another Vietnam, then we can out their ranks a llittle.

t. Came here to troll after watching one episode of Uncle Grandpa

Outside of Primal, I'm still not optimistic about where we're going

Uhhh.... Read Also this.

Attached: 1498509109469.jpg (1931x1887, 3.2M)

>the increasing wealth disparity in their oh so progressive, inclusive state
Oh man you're seriously going to pretend you give a shit when I can guess exactly who you voted for?

>Mao Mao: Heroes of Pure Vore
>Badger is chosen as the example
kek

Attached: Maokek.gif (253x270, 314K)

Which still looks like shit due to using shitty ass Rough Draft.
Now this is where it's at, look at all that detail, use of actual colors and most importantly of all, construction.

Attached: sub11_fixw_750_lt.jpg (428x609, 63K)

I see this and my need to murder every character in there rises

posts rise on the board with the amount of comments. gee i wonder why is everyone such a contrarian. it'd sure be better if everyone was encouraged to pander to most popular opinion like reddit

Attached: 1568279266311.png (750x1334, 187K)

Attached: barf.jpg (750x501, 56K)

be careful! that's the pedophile poster again

>close enough
>never ever

>actually
If you hadn’t included this, you may have had a point.

Nothing makes Yea Forums seethe more than their inferiority complex with anime.

Attached: iiotwHi.jpg (960x540, 35K)

underrated post

Attached: thumbsupdude.gif (141x141, 481K)

looks based

>The story begins when a middle SCHOOL girl named Yume sees something fall from the sky, and meets a pale violet-colored kitten named Mew. It turns out that Mew has the power of "Yume Synchro" (Dream Synchro), the power to enter dreams. In the dream world, the girl and Mew collect Dream Stones.
>ultra generic and its only a way for Sanrio to dip their feet into waifu obsession market since their main products are chibi animals
>animated by jcstaff
so this poster will be the only highest quality thing about it

> inferiority complex with anime.

Says the weeb who requires constant validation by inserting anime into discussions that dont warrant it

>I have no example but racist and hive mentality and laughing LAUGH WITH PICTURE makes me a genius you know.
lmao

Peg + Cat

Don't need validation when your shows and comics are better.

it's like nepotism but cooler (-ish)

>get called out for sameface
>"BuT IT HAS no POlITIcS"

you fucking nigger

Threads like these are why literally no one should take Yea Forums or Yea Forums seriously
Why do you people even complain about animation if you don't even like it anyway

Attached: 1552736512922.png (683x1024, 555K)

The retard said that anime has no politics. That's just plain wrong.

People who are in need of validation dont go around trying to ~failingly~ convince others

retard

I like anime but hate weeaboos

Thats all

You have no idea what you're talking about, Onegai My Melody is the only reason why My Melody is even remembered in the first place (all the way to the point that it was the only reason why My Melody was in Super Mario Maker, it was that huge), while Jewelpet (especially Tinkle) is still remembered just as fondly as Tiny Toons & Animaniacs.

Never underestimate Sanrio's TV output.

This will be light years better then Primal, thats a fact.

Yea Forums always bashes cartoons for having politics in them but I feel like if a calarts cartoon came out that was full of alt right pandering and praised Trump, Yea Forums would suck its dick and call it based and redpilled

Because cartoons don't have to be shit. The 90s and 2000s proved this.

Only tourists hate CalArts here

Have you seen the million SU, Gravity falls and STarVs threads here

youtube.com/watch?v=lLc44Kmq8qc

Most of the time it’s just anons getting offended based on what a show’s creators/staff say on Twitter.

Uhhh.... Thats anime, you're thinking of the 40s & 50s.

I'm talking about TV animation.

See picture.

Attached: japanese_animation.png (1302x1314, 2.43M)

You poor innocent thing. If you only knew.

Different eyes. different expression. Different haircut, yet all so generix and boring.

Don't know don't complain and don't really care. People who complain and unironically thing arguing about "le ebin meme style" is worthy actually don't watch cartoons. Guess what, all of these cartoons are from CN and one from Disney.

>One from Disney
I meant two from Disney, sarry.

These are pervert expressions, yo. I don't see the correlation.

CalArts is big name and it's the school you want to go to when you want to work in animation. The problem with being such a big name with a small program is that it gets highly selective, and only the cream of the crop end up actually attending and graduating. This results in a high concentration of exceptionally talented people being calarts alumni and they inherently end up in good positions. It only gets worse as more the alumni become concentrated in more executive positions and become they persons that hire artists and approve projects, and of course they're going to go with the calarts alum over an equally talented applicant that didn't go to a prestigious art school because they'd get along better with the person who went to their school or at least a school they know about. You can work really hard, do a ton of a awful work, have a solid portfolio, and maybe get lucky enough to sell a pitch. But the competition has never been harder with the internet, and if you didn't end up going to calarts or at least a solid art school, the most you can probably hope for is a revisionist monkey. All the good jobs require experience you have to buy and compete for, and the people who hold onto those jobs don't have to work half as hard to keep them as you have to acquire them. So, "CalArts style" is a hit designed by people who will never be able to climb over the fence into the country club and participate in creating popular animated cartoons. It makes them feel better that even though they're successful, respected, and prosperous, their style is generic because they all belong to the same affluent, elitist hive mind, but it doesn't really hurt CalArts alums and their accepted peers because they will continue to receive more opportunities and money.

Their world is a leftist distopia disguessed as a leftist utopia.

>Cartoon Network != western animation
>Les grandes vacances
>LDR
>Undone
Get into actual good shit, you dingus.

Attached: IMG_4764.jpg (500x500, 46K)

I bet you might be feeling dumb now.

Attached: IMG_4765.jpg (182x268, 5K)

Neck yourself, samefag.

These all look the same, dude.
>Disney threw randomnly right in the middle
Lmao.

PROTIP: When someone says "politics" in regards to entertainment media today, they usually mean identity politics. This involves messages of social justice: diversity, issues of race, ethnicity, gender, tolerance of fringe sexuality, immigration, the normalization of transgenderism, anti-white and anti-Christian talking points. These topics tend to lean toward one side (the far Left), and usually with zero subtlety and zero nuance. You can say that "______ was always politicial" but you would be arguing in bad faith because you know how identity politics are treated in current year. You just want to sound smart on the internet.

>E vs W threads
>Avatarfag ban evader shows his ugly face
Like clockword

That chart originated by Jerry Beck, it did not originate from here.

then why is it turning people into trannies

No, thats a whole nother story.

They can emote

Attached: anime girl type.png (1400x8697, 3.44M)

I feel so indescribably sorry for whoever made that image

GATE begs to differ

The era of Scooby.

At least Japanese have the excuse of bordering on slave labor for their shit to look bad. Niggas just need to admit that aside from genndy and a handful of other creators, US design just doesn't look as appealing as anime or even French animation.

*WHIPCRACK*

Why are you lying?

It does. Though usually not leftist

It’s not political if they agree with it

This image is fucking dumb. Ian JQ didn't get his start on Steven Universe, he worked on AT too, Venture Bros and other shows before that even.

Attached: changed.png (700x615, 123K)

Based. SJWs trigged nippon doesn’t give a shit about being politically correct.

fuck yeah let's do this
fresh grad
equal height
regular weight
average breasts
average behind
can't decide between noble and cute
long and straight
caramel
receptive
equal or pub. traditional
laid-back, kind-hearted, smug, feminine/tomboy mix, romantic/pragmatic mix, maybe pure
cuddling, being on top, maybe lewd rp. i'm pretty vanilla
tv, gardening, vidya, anime, painting

except jojo these all look the same

Weep

only k-on and haruhi looked the same to me

Yee, they merged to create Hanna Barbera. The unstoppable killing machine whose thirst could only be quenched when he was locked in a room with a couple of papers to draw/write his shit.

Lmao Add hajimite no ippo, franken, Fran, anything junji ito, one piece, fist of the North Star, baki, and kengan ashura to the list.

Ok fuk it
College Student
Fun size
athletic
washrack
Tight
Andro
Bob cut
fair
Asexual
pubicly traditional
Possessive, stoic, cynical
cuddling
Reading, running, shooting, lifting, writing

What did he do on Adventure Time?

Storyboard supervisor and revisionist

Don't forget isekai.

On the bright side they got together in the manga

don't talk to me about cute weeb

Attached: 1559153057462.jpg (500x500, 34K)

There is a generic style to most of the really popular anime but there is at least one or two visual standouts a season that try something different as opposed to cartoons which maybe have something ambitious every few years.
That being said I don't think the Calarts meme is as bad as people like to say since the only real visual similarities between them tend to be the head shapes.
Go watch Now and Then Here and There or Darling in the Franxxx and then try telling me that.

/thread

With the exception of Jojo, Pokemon, and Ghibi that all looks the same

Ironically enough the character in that image looks far more distinguishable in her own show's style

Attached: SakuraHarunopartii.jpg (150x307, 18K)

I think the limited innovation visually here in the west is more of a marketing thing. Cartoons with unique visual styles do get approved and do pretty well, but only the most most popular anime get a second season and basically everything gets it over here.

If networks decided to do the Japanese way of making several 12-episode miniseries per 6 months i'm sure we would see more innovation.

>That CG Bob the Builder

Attached: 1564639231106.png (720x480, 442K)

>With the exception of Jojo, Pokemon, and Ghibi that all looks the same
how are you people this fucking blind

That Touhou one really doesn't do ZUN's drunken art justice, God bless him.

Attached: Th14Reimu.png (512x915, 292K)

Small differences don't mean they're not the same, retard

Anybody saying all of these styles look the same is either lying or completely blinded by their arr rook same narrative.

>small
are you fucking for real right now, is this just me being an artfag and picking up on this shit easier or are you ACTUALLY this blind
>don't mean they're not the same, retard
that's EXACTLY what it means, holy shit

i didn't even recognise it was bob the builder until i saw this
what the fuck

Attached: 1459969976101.jpg (318x325, 10K)

>Rick is an example of calarts
Rick and Morty is a lot of things but I never thought I'd see it compared to OK:KO.

I think one reason is it causes fatigue when every show is visually similar. Of course this is also just people consolidating what works and also what's easier for underpaid animators to draw over and over without fucking up too much

Wow... None of them are cute/natural at all, except for maybe the SH one. Most of them are pretty tryhard though.

>doesn’t give a shit about being politically correct.

oh how cute praising a country that has a snowflake fear of tattoos and tip toes around not wanting to offend koreans

Thank you for proving that anime/manga shippers are as cancerous as cartoon/comics shippers

>fear of tattoos

Only criminals and the mentally ill get tattoos it's perfectly justified to discriminate against them.

Not fact, opinion
grownups.pbskids.org/arthur/games/factsopinions/index.html

Attached: fo_splash.gif (607x426, 32K)

Umm this chart is completely wrong. Ian JQ started on Adventure Time, Sean Szeles also worked on Over the Garden Wall, and Close Enough did not come out in 2018. You need to remove this now because it is nothing but disinformation.

That sounds unironically based and shows a lot of personality, wanting every character to do what´s "good" is fucking boring

>implying it's shipping
It literally happens in the show. This isn't even a "THEY HELD HANDS ONCE IT WAS TOTALLY SUPPOSED TO WORK OUT" thing, there's literally an entire HALF AN EPISODE devoted to him breaking down, the next half of the episode is her love confession, and then the last four minutes he rejects her.

>Only criminals and the mentally ill get tattoos

MOOOOOM , Gramps forgot his meds Again!

No one on this thread can win this game

Reminder

Attached: cal arts.png (510x549, 240K)

>being afraid of fucking ink

Ur a snowflake

Then again I do like 80s anime art style more than modern.

>t.people with spongebob bending over on their stomach so their belly button looks like his asshole

Calarts myth is just that, a myth

Attached: cartoons.jpg (2689x4862, 2.9M)

>t. never heard of gag anime

maybe modern anime should use more 80s aesthetic

Attached: op is a tard.jpg (6391x3771, 2.87M)

You're on crack

Weebs don't realize animators exchange better comedic writing, more interesting story, and more distinct backgrounds for a more simplistic character model

This entire thread is filled with faggots generalizing other faggot’s pastimes, discussion is dead.

Attached: modern cartoons.jpg (6920x8920, 2.94M)

famuhamu how the hell are you even able to post your drivel all the fucking time

Not option, Jerry Beck said so.
Reminder that John K hates the Japanese for being better then him.

Attached: 1b0.png (2625x1106, 381K)

Just look at all this same style calarts garbage
vimeo.com/333447138
vimeo.com/332805663
vimeo.com/332912270
vimeo.com/333183021
vimeo.com/266164100
vimeo.com/265376326
vimeo.com/259026673
vimeo.com/11544212
youtube.com/watch?v=4V5ryctuddk

Yea Forums isn't stupid at all.

Attached: Spring Herald.webm (2048x864, 2.84M)

>Bland
>Uninspired
>Lazy
>Conforming

These four words describe this artstyle.

Better this than discussing the stupid meme for the umpteenth time

College Student
Towering Giant
Regular Weight
Average Breasts
Child Bearing
Gloomy
Long and Straight
Pale
Receptive
Erratically Dom
Feminine, Lightweight, Cynical, Hygiene Averse, Laidback
Cuddling, Pet-Play, Feet, Frottage, Smothering, Territorial
Movies, Anime, Painting, Hiking, Sleeping

calarts trash this is

Attached: little bandits.webm (720x405, 1.61M)

this is unfair to John, he didn't let the industry to do awful things for kids at all, he entered it to draw epic gross cartoons pitifully seeking validation from his hillbilly father

This at this terrible shit by a calarts graduate and steven universe storyboarder

Attached: eat.webm (720x477, 1.4M)

Robin Byrd & Kate Rice will like to have a word with you.

>Brother of Junichi "I ran the series into the ground from 2013 onwards because nonbody brought the Gen5 games" Masuda
That makes him worse than John K

>candel
>extreamly

I like how there is no proper argument in this thread against anime beyond "Well, you're a weeaboo faggot! KYS!"

Says a lot.

calarts bad

Attached: tinynomad3.webm (1280x720, 2.65M)

correlation is not causation

>words words words words
this is a shit emem

If it were not for Pokemon Go it would of been dead as the last thing Satoru Iwata said to him was "Even Yoshi's New Island was better then this" when reviewing ORAS.
Toshihiko did nothing wrong in that regard.

are leaves the only sharp angles here?

Why are there such a large number of animators who do the 'epic fight' animation thing? It's so hackneyed at this point and there's never any tension because it's always the protagonist who wont fucking die.

hehe his style isn't incredibly angular so it bad
You're not a brainlet, you're a smart guy

Yes but SM, USUM and LGPikaVee are still trash because of Masuda's horrible handling of the mainline games.
And SWSH are shaping up to be the lowest point of the franchise

>Disney did anime once so everything Disney is anime

Better dead than soulless. The success of Go is now making them focus more and more on phone games, which is the last thing we need right now.

And now Pokeautists are fighting for some reason.
This thread is retarded.

I agree, it's pretty lame at this point. I'd like to see different styles of action

With SWSH Game Freak moved away from Pokemon and started to focus on games like Giga Wrecker and Town plus Mobile is now The Pokemon Company's main focus, that is untill....
Gachagenden is coming so they might move back to Switch once that happens.
youtube.com/watch?v=GBueZGyXJ-s

yeah that'll show em

That was not drawn by a Japanese artist.

>animators exchange better comedic writing
Then that sacrifice was definitely in vain
>more interesting story
Give me 5 examples nigga
>and more distinct backgrounds
Plenty of anime have beautiful backgrounds without sacrificing anything though. None of these things require any sacrifice in quality

>Give me 5 examples nigga
I mean, muricucks would probably disagree for whatever reason, but for me, the serialized storytelling of calarts cartoons was a breath of fresh air and better than the randumb formulatic format.

The problem is that most animation that is actually pushed in the US is just plain unappealing, while stuff in the style of genndy and others rarely get big pushes.

But is also written by the creator of the comic

If you check great western animators they take Japanese animation in high regard.

A lot of guys in our crew and some of the directors that worked on the first series of Batman that we did way back when--very, very heavily influenced by Japanese animation.
Bruce Timm

"The Japanese do the best action films in animation, so when you're studying animation, you look to the best sources you can for whatever you're trying to be inspired by."
Craig McCracken

Or how pixar have an absolute boner over Miyazaki, how everybody make an homenage to Akira (from Batman to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to Adventure Time) etc.

Only you guys go on this shit argument every time.

Attached: Evangelion Fanart by Bruce Timm.jpg (1214x1591, 628K)

But they are terribly animated.

Arthur especially got worse.

Most of these are wrong on how they started out; Ward, quintel, allegri, page, szeles, dennis, ian j.q, braly, pott, burnett and levin all had work before the shows you listed them coming from. What are you trying to prove exactly anyways? That they make sure to hire people with experience? You aren’t that autist that thinks nepotism only exists in the art world right?

>reality looks the same
Lmao

So he happens to love another person
Boo fucking hoo

>From when, with which directors, artists, etc?
My personal pet peeves are Yuru Yuri and Love Live, both have disgusting copy paste artstyle and yet very popular for some reason. But here's a helpful Jap thread listing various examples: girlschannel.net/topics/571489/

Attached: wake-up-girls-beyond-the-bottom.jpg (924x541, 111K)

If you could exploit US animators the same way the Japs can exploit theirs maybe we could get somewhere.
It would also help if cartoons where the main source of entertainment and not having to compete with big name movies, pre-established IPs and live action tv, get rid of those.
Hell, start pandering to people with dicks for brains and shill lootbox apps with waifus instead of games, don' forget to buy ten blu-rays! For your girl of course!!!

Attached: Ultron-MCU.jpg (650x390, 68K)

is there somewhere i can find a ton of images like this?

/tg/ and /trash/ CYOA threads if you mean the whole thing. boorus and pixiv if you mean the individual images.

I don't think the actual designs are the problem, it's that modern cartoons don't understand depth (compare how old Ducktales is drawn/animated vs new Ducktales) and don't care about backgrounds or detail. Pretty much all these shows care about is having a snappy script. That applies to both kids/family and adult cartoons. Part of it is a lack of budget but I also think the craft has slowly deteriorated over the past few decades. It's not like companies like Disney are wanting for money.

This. Tattoos are cringe

Forced animation + very poor depth.

>Forced animation

Attached: 1478475890190.gif (670x648, 1011K)

Love Live (original) at least has The Flintstones going for it, Yuru Yuri has nothing.
youtube.com/watch?v=9VP5oZMYzIE

Attached: 1563080365875.jpg (1642x900, 261K)

calm down, user. it was a joke.

Love Live is absolute bottom-tier garbage, but it's absolutely not the standard either.
Haven't tried watching Yuru Yuri, so I can comment on that.

If you can't handle every stupid thing that gets posted, big or small, you don't belong here. Learn to roll with it otherwise you're probably looking for a different website.

I'm a heavy western cartoons fag who wants to get into some Japanese stuff. My favorite genre is comedy, and I'd prefer the animation be at least half-decent.
What do you recommend me?

This.

Hence why Fred & Barney had to fix it.

See

Nichijou, Hinamatsuri, and Azumanga Diaoh are all pretty great.

>appeal to authority

But DuckTales'87, Tiny Toons and Animaniacs are much better.

>tiny toons
>good

Attached: 1486912135698.png (405x405, 153K)

Tiny Toons is the Laputa of television animation, it's a masterpiece.

Yuru Yuri is a legitimately fun and funny show that isn't afraid to get a little weird or change styles for a gag. Really it is one of the only CGDCT shows out there worth watching if you can get over a few annoyingly tropey anime moments and the yuri themes.
youtube.com/watch?v=l6vCdFriZbY
Sexy Commando Gaiden
Nichijou
Azumanga Daioh
Osomatsu-san
Panty and Stocking (Personally I only really like the way it looks and find the humor lacking but a lot of people like it)
Inferno Cop (Part of the joke is that the animation is bad in this one but it is still a fun watch)

>DuckTales'87
Was Ducktales even good? I just remember it as that show I tolerated reruns off while waiting for Darkwing Duck or Chip and Dale to start.
>Tiny Toons
Doesn't really hold up.
>Animaniacs
Meh. The jokes are incredibly dated at this point.

No, none of those shows are good, if you want good shows (besides Tiny Toons) watch...
Animaniacs
Cardcaptor Sakura
Ojamajo Doremi
Hamtaro
Mirumo De Pon
Onegai My Melody

DuckTales'87 was a masterpiece, Disney however butchered it with it's reboot.
Whatever dated jokes Tiny Toons & Animaniacs have are only because Looney Tunes did the same thing, those shows are masterpieces and art the gold standers of television animation.

Seething.

>nichijou
>not good
Absolutely fucking abhorrent taste.
Aside from Doremi and Hamtaro, anyways. Those're both good.

If you didn't need validation then you wouldn't have made this shitty bait thread.

Okay I really don't get this. Just what the fuck is with Yea Forums's just fucking weird to almost fetishey obsession with a single anime studio from the 80s that it needs to be brought back up over and over and over again in half the threads here.

You people act like that's some cornerstone of the entire medium that might as well have invented the common concept of a cartoon.

Attached: fil1.jpg (236x197, 13K)

Thats because they are the cornerstone of the entire medium that might as well have invented the common concept of a modern cartoon.
We lost that when they left.

Sakura is good.

Because TMS is one of the single greatest animation studios that had the single greatest effect on animation in both anime and western cartoons. Most of the greats that are still watched in high numbers to this day were animated by Tokyo Movie Shinsa. Nothing else has ever managed to reach the same levels of skill ans detail, nor even made the attempt.

Umm, have to made even a quick glace at their work and compared it to literally anything made by anyone anytime ever? There are worlds of difference between TMS and any other studio in history. Plus they were the main studio behind the Disney Afternoon and Spielberg Warner afternoon giants of the 90s. So Western animation has a lot to be thankful for from them.

They ARE the cornerstone of the entire medium.

Thank you

Modern anime is shit. So is the generic garbage from Calarts that have ruined the American cartoon landscape.

>Cardcaptor Sakura
>Ojamajo Doremi
>Hamtaro
>Mirumo De Pon
>Onegai My Melody
user asked for comedy not a bunch of mostly pretty good girly bullshit.

>Using Hanna-Barbera as an example...

Hamtaro is a uni-sex show.
If you want a comedy go watch Tiny Toons & Animaniacs which are the gold standers of TV animation.

HB was just as dominant as””””Calarts””””” is today

faggot

But HB was based on UPA in terms of designs.

>Well, you're a weeaboo faggot! KYS!"

Thats the proper to engage with braindead weebs

Into the Scoobyverse

HB is a major western cartoon animation studio and one of the leading ones at that which dominated the industry for decades. It's a perfect example of lazy, half-assed western shit

Usually at the expense of the story at that. The show just sort of degrades into preaching at the viewer, and no plot happens while that is going on.

But that was not the case until the 70s as their 60s and late 50s stuff was excellent.

Identity Politics as dreamed up and defined by weird angry upper middle class, to wealthy white women from California who somehow came to the conclusion that they are the single most oppressed group of people in all of human history.

Does not matter, Hanna Barbera still stands as one of the major american animation studios that dominated the industry for decades. So they can perfectly count as an example of shitty anerican animation techniques.

In as much as really lazy near stick figures standing perfectly still for long periods of time can laughably be called animation

>So they can perfectly count as an example of shitty American animation techniques.
That was Filmation, not HB.

An example would be the two part "Feat of Clay" episodes of BTAS. Part I's animation by AKOM looked like dogshit, while Part II's animation by TMS was one of the best animated TV episodes ever.

Real niggas know Ian JQ boarded for Secret Mountain Fort Awesome before Steven Universe, so technically it got connected from that show. The pilot for KO came out before Steven Universe.

>Social Justice

Not politics

It launched an entire series of Warner shows that lasted a decade, and then continued in rerun for another while inspiring how animation was going to take form throughout the 90s and continues to have fans to this day, yes it was good.

Doesn't matter, HB existed and was the largest studio in the west for 30 years. You cannot discount it because you personally do not like it.

>legitimately thinking that Jojo isn’t the most unique looking style in the image.

If we're going to be posting 'oh shit' moments that trumps cartoons then at least give one that either isn't waifu focused or the eclipse. I'll start.

Attached: arE8nEL.jpg (640x460, 47K)

False.
Joshiraku literally shat on Japanese politics.

Attached: 1`3`1.jpg (2288x1600, 1.93M)

Now and Then Here and There has a scene where a child soldier dies and before he dies he walks up to the audience insert and explains that being a child soldier is bad. There is also a 13 year old rape victim who was knocked up by a bunch of soldiers and wants to abort the baby and go back to her home dimension but another character makes an anti-abortion speech while making a dramatic sacrifice and she decides to keep it and stay.
Also every Gundam series besides G Gundam/the ones about model kits and Darling in the Franxxx.

Such as....

GATE

any miyazaki movie

Miyazaki is not preachy, his movies are the opposite of that.

>Every bland kid's show I used to watch is masterpiece
Okay retard.

>Alfonso

Those are not bland, they're jam pack with flavor and excitement.

if you say so

I read this and heard the Ghost in the Shell choir

>Now and Then Here and There
Oh no, the politics of ISEKAI BAD and WAR BAD

>Have you seen the million SU, Gravity falls and STarVs threads here
Implying this is a good thing.

The only animator that does it right is Genndy because he doesnt pretend like there's actual tension and focuses on making everything else enjoyable.

>WAR BAD
yeah right wtf is this sjw steven universe politics shit doing in my animes?????

>I'm into 9 things in the fetish category
Sweet dude

Section 9 is pretty fascist, but that's the point I guess.

WAR BAD
You forgot the ABORTION BAD part.
Either way that is way more political than western shit like Steven Universe that has messages like 'friendship is good' and 'gay people exist'.

Cringe.

Fuck off.

unironically cant wait for the reboot

Girl that barely acknowledges him as a friend, has the mind of a twelve year old and mildly retarded, and turns his ass down hard. Can't even use the excuse of leading him on either, which makes it more pathetic.

My Love Story's pretty good. Not full balls out absurdity, but pretty lulzy at times.

For more absurd shit there's Excel Saga. Which is basically just Crack cocaine.

user Calarts heralded the end of serialized storytelling in the US. Outside of micro arcs worse than ones made in the fucking 80s, it's mostly gag-a-day shit.

It's one guy. TMSfag is one of the most dedicated autist on the board

They're all stylistically diverse and are animated no worse than these calarts shows.

Way to be just as misleading as the calarts meme. Also anime is still has more appealing designs anyway so make a better argument.

I have never seen the Iron Giant and I do not want to see this kid's design in motion

It actually looks far better in motion, that screencap is of a very forced, fake grin.

Who are they? what series?

Attached: 1569170453003h.png (1302x1314, 3.18M)

That's Batman Beyond. It's a sequel to Batman: The Animated Series

Those are Harley Quinn's granddaughters from Batman Beyond.

It's a lot of people that recognize one of the greatest animation studios in existence.

TMS is a good studio to this extent: if you don't want to watch every episode of Rescue Rangers, Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, BTAS or SWAT Kats, you should at least watch the episodes that TMS did. However, shows that were entirely produced by TMS themselves weren't that great -- nobody ever brings up Mighty Orbots in these discussions.

That is a fact mind you, Byrd & Rice really did show us the light of why only the Japanese can make good cartoons since the 70s.
Excluding Tad Stones, Tom Ruegger (under Spielberg) and Bruce Timm/Paul Dini of course.

SWAT Kats was done by Studio Mook not TMS.
Yea Forums will also tell you to watch the episodes they did of Aikatsu (most of season 1) as their own anime never gets brought up except for Lupin III & Conan.

What about Chowder?

Go back to mal faggot

>I don't see it as being any different from the copy paste anime style that everyone loves so much
The fuck are you talking about? Moeshit has been hated long before calarts. Hell, many believe the moeshit artstyle inspired beanmouth.

But user, that costs money

>costs money

lmao what money it shouldnt be an issue since weebs are telling me the japs can make masterpieces out of a shoestring and a paperclip

A big part of what made that style work was the cell animation. I miss cell animation.

On a purely visual level, it's still possible to pull off. See Megalobox.

>Yea Forums is one persona and that person is famicon

Attached: 1565677107768.png (489x371, 367K)

Mighty Orbots was actually pretty KINO, it's just that Tonka sued the fuck out of them because it sounded too much like Gobots and was yet another show making Gobots look like shit.

fuck off famicom

>Hamtaro
this shit again

There are definitely a few people defending the shit out of TMS in this thread alone.

Do not blame Famicom's autism on all of Yea Forums. He's been spamming any animation thread for a decade.

TMS RE-invented modern animation after the ghetto ages from the UPA shit of the 50s's to the Hanna Barbera crap of the 60s through 80s. All of a sudden TMS was outperforming even Disney feature animation of the era and revolutionizing everything. which led to the revivals of classic animation in the disney afternnon and later the Warner afternoon. But then led to several feature films which are still unmatched today.

That's true, it's uglier

Steven Universe and Gravity Falls creators did NOT go to calarts. Most of the SU staff didn't. It's a trend of the times.

Dragon Ball, JoJo, and Ghibli look unique. the rest of them look too similar to each other.

Attached: 1559976098784.png (600x599, 280K)

MGS and Bioshock are executable programs, thats a png
This is fun. I love spot the difference

But only She-Ra, Twelve Forever(cancelled) and Primal aren't CalArts there

calarts trash and most american cartoons lack details. everything is oversimplified. so you need to clarify each part as a design. these are actually lazy as hell designs.

nonsense. you are basically saying every capeshit character looks like the same. capeshit "realistic" characters are actually as uniform as these moeshit faces. however, unlike calarts trash, both work when they get emotional. these can have detailed emotional expressions.

Why even make this for 8 examples when you can only find 4? And it's not like this is anything new.

Attached: all rook same 2.png (480x318, 102K)

Attached: 1d6.jpg (330x309, 24K)

if i copied tumblr's recurring style choices but posted it on twitter instead, does that mean it's not tumblr style anymore?

Calarts = lazily animated cartoon with forced political messages, the style that people associate with it is just the cheapest and laziest possible one.

Gravity falls uses the calarts but since it's not forced bullshit it's not really a calarts cartoon.

It’s official. Calling something CalArts has lost all meaning.

Yeah, SCI has a fairly unique art style, very pleasant to look at. The animation in the show is pretty good overall, and matches the soft themes of the show.

>The anime doesn't come with politics that I don't like or am otherwise too uneducated to actually pick up on*
ftfy
you're one of those dense faggots that hates how politics are being shoved into video games now but bioshock and Fallout are some of your favorite series of all time

Yeah really giving western society the finger with their universally censored premium priced pornography

>this discussion topic again by the 100th time
Im gonna cherrypick this example
>hurr durr dr stone looks exactly like jojo which looks just like saint seiya which looks like a copy of dragon ball
Fucking retard

Hello centaurfaggot, tired of the mbti threads in r9k?

t.

Attached: 1568692133485.png (1179x742, 911K)

>all those games
>only 2 of them were any good

Impressive, the picture really manages to capture a smooth brain's taste in games.

bump

>Joshiraku
fucking based

Attached: mariikek.gif (226x300, 1.4M)

Is Netflix our only hope now? They sure make much better stuff by taking bigger risks with different projects

Attached: изображение.png (1045x801, 1.12M)

Shut up verdis joe

A popular cartoon reviewer complains alot that there's no thick outlines in current cartoons anymore and complain that everything is calarts until thundercats roar steps in in which he defend it

You're the same person

>romance cartoons
Name one. (Don't say star vs, it's barely even romance to begin with)

>used by people who are sick of debating semantics
then maybe they shouldn't words they don't actually know the meanings of, or rather words that hold no actual meaning
but can we really expect anyone who does that to be able to carry an actual argument?

Those all look the same, autist

The only one that doesn't look the 'same' is dipper and he is close.

Attached: A happy indian man.png (618x471, 248K)

What a dumbass

Attached: Rock, paper, FUCK.jpg (1920x1080, 164K)

It's actually jpeg sir, twitter automatically converts all images.

Is the joke that the top and bottom are the same?

>Defending HB garbage unironically

see

Don't listed these retards: It really depends what you want and what you look into a new cartoon, but if you haven't tried nip toons before I suggest you to start with something with heavy western influences, like moomins or animatrix, specially this last one.

>like moomins or animatrix
Neither of those are Japanese at all you stupid fuck. Moomins is literally finnish.

you really missing out, user

>Moomin (Japanese: 楽しいムーミン一家 Hepburn: Tanoshii Mūmin Ikka, Delightful Moomin Family) is a Japanese-Finnish-Dutch anime television series produced by Telecable Benelux B.V.. Based on the Moomin novels and comic strips by the Finnish illustrator and author Tove Jansson and her brother Lars Jansson
>The Animatrix (アニマトリックス Animatorikkusu) is a 2003 American–Japanese animated science fiction anthology film produced by the Wachowskis. It is a compilation of nine animated short films based on The Matrix trilogy, which was written and directed by the Wachowskis
You might be feeling really dumb right now.

>produced by Telecable Benelux B.V.. Based on the Moomin novels and comic strips by the Finnish illustrator and author Tove Jansson and her brother Lars Jansson
It's Finnish, you stupid fuck.

90s moomins is based on Tove's comics, but aside from artistic consulting and music composed by a american guy (I guess) it's a japanese animation; the rest of the production was done in japan (I think I should remind you Anime is just japanese animation)

Then again, that's why I'm suggesting those cartoons to user, they are made by nips, yes, but the target demography is not only japanese, not to mention plenty people from other countries worked there.

Also, Stella 5555 is also pretty good and is a France-Japan coproduction.

It's funny to me that you think you're making a flawless point.
Do please tell me how this proves that anime doesn't have politics.

Do you know what "based on" means? There are many anime series based on western material. You know, like these en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Masterpiece_Theater

It's really annoying when characters are just cookie cutter stand-ins to preach about race, sexuality, or immigration. And they have literally no other characteristics or traits other than immigrant guy or gay person meant to teach the viewer in the least subtle way imaginable.

Even more so when it's something like aliens or robots that are nothing but a poorly made tool to refer to Mexicans for the sake of making a message about immigrant lives.

Based. Thank you.

as much as I HATE the motherfucking copy paste anime style, it's nowhere near as bad as calarts. Also your post pic does nothing to disprove the "stereotype." Try again.

>all this individuality will get grinded down into cookie-cutter styles in order to appease the cost-cutting standards of burger animation once they realize they'll only get hired by making their portfolio appeal to the 3 cartoon companies that still exist

Attached: 1555780518439.png (757x679, 373K)

The sarcasm in this is profound

but that's fucking wrong. there is no cookie cutter styles, you're just an ignorant fucktard who spews memes about things he knows nothing about

Attached: cartoonss.jpg (2635x4765, 2.83M)

>youtube.com/watch?v=-1rdIWlf8uI

>Why are you booing him? He's right!
or
>Why would you say something so controversial yet so brave?

Either one works here.

i fucking hate comics and i hate cartoons

and that's why Yea Forums is my favorite board

i am addicted to the rush of pure rage that i get when i see either of those things, and calarts gives me a rush like cocaine

> Yea Forumstumblr worked into other seething shoot

Attached: 1564902752437.gif (500x375, 317K)

there's a difference between using politics to tell a narrative vs politics to SHOVE an agenda.

not really, once you get smart enough (like me) you start to realize all media has some batshit stupid political agenda to push.

Are they gonna bust user?

There genuinely is not, it's just a matter of whether you agree or not. If you don't then you see it as being "shoved" in your face.

>politics to SHOVE an agenda.

Its only shoved because you dont like it

>animatrix
He asked about comedy anime you fucking retard.
Also going in with two things based on western properties is not a good way to familiarize yourself with Japanese media

Destroyed.

>why do people hate this hideous style?
Because it's ugly, user. How can you stand to look at it?

Attached: 1559098435299.jpg (480x448, 16K)

dipper does make the face in the first picture, so does gumball depending on the season
steven is so fucking inconsisten its impossible to tell when a picture is fake or not
star is literally making the same face in both pictures

anime characters are allowed to be older than 12 and know what sex is, checkmate.

To be fair like a good 80% of them are 14 to 18.

Television animation has always been a dead end. 95% of all the TV cartoons ever made are shit and you're delusional if you think otherwise.

the thing that sticks out the more for me is the color choices

i just don't like pastel color chocies, primal and infinity train look like they'll have plenty more muted tones instead of really cold blues all over.

I feel like heavy pastels only work with either a really painterly look or a full on Y2K Vector Art look. Using it the way it has been is just sort of bland.