What is it about the writing in this show that is so unfunny? It feels almost like a robot wrote it

What is it about the writing in this show that is so unfunny? It feels almost like a robot wrote it.

This can't possibly the same team of writers that did Furturama can it?

Attached: disenchantment-part-2-netflix.png (864x486, 434K)

What about it is unfunny?

That is what I want to know. Not a single line makes me even smile a little bit. Something about the jokes seem so manufactured. Most other big name animated comedies are least funny some of the time. This was not funny even a single time. Not a single line.

>This can't possibly the same team of writers that did Futurama can it?
Futurama was garbage once they moved to Comedy Central, as the writers got so obsessed with showing off all they could get away with on cable that they forgot to make it actually funny. This show is just the same thing.

So later futurama is the same writers as early futurama? I only watched the initial run that ended with that episode where Fry was falling off a roof.

Everything with God was sort of funny.
>Jerry, what if I told you all of that was to make you stronger?
>I'd say you're a sick bastard.

Attached: yixifdmrfqn11.jpg (720x1503, 141K)

DAE aetheism? Religion sure is dumb amirite? I am euphoric

Ripping on religion can be very funny, but the joke has to, y'know, actually *be* funny. Not this kindergarten crap. They might as well have just said, "Religion is smelly!"

That's kind of the vibe I got from everything. Every "joke" was the equivalent of "What's the deal with airline food?"

They should have just made it an action show or something.

Attached: 1568944744232.jpg (480x336, 25K)

I feel like maybe it's just the execution, the timing, etc. I like this show more when it focuses on the plot rather than the humor. They should just write the story instead of trying to fit a joke in every scene.

What's this? Yea Forums complaining about a female lead cartoon? DAE think women are inherently unfunny whores?

Are the writers woman or something?

I liked the bits between Jerry and God.

The timing kills any jokes the show has. I have no idea what the fuck is up, but every exchange has a weird pause that defuses any punchline.

Imagine being this upset at a joke. Go to church.

is pretty bad really,is interisting, it has some nice ideas and nice worldbuilding,but is no funny,i guess i can handle that tough, i never watched adventure time back ion the day because it was funny

It feels like minimum effort was put in. I feel the creators are all old bastards now so don't have the same passion. A lot of the best jokes are ruined by bad timing or awkward editing. If the directors demanded more takes for lines the show could be improved, but they're just lazy. Also the creators seem to have no limits or producers saying no, a lot of stuff that should have been cut was not. I'm pretty sure the only writer there under Fifty is Adam Briggs who I only know about because he's a big celebrity here in Australia.

I don't know why this show gets so much hate?

Jokes and plot are pretty much futurama tier. What the hell are you expecting?

It reminds me of early Mike Tyson Mysteries where a lot of jokes were awkwardly timed so wouldn't make you laugh. It doesn't make sense here because it's made by seasoned professionals. Are big TV networks the difference?

Good characters and jokes that land.

They do.

First couple episodes was establishing the world, so you can't really make throwaway jokes if you're trying to establish setting.

After like like 2nd episode the show is pretty funny. I think you just lost your sense of humor.

>What the hell are you expecting?
dopamine and/or seratonin

>you can't really make throwaway jokes if you're trying to establish setting
I'm sorry, did you never see Futurama? Also the first 2 episodes had some of the show's best jokes. I chuckle every episode (except 9 and 10) but at 30 minutes a pop I expect more consistency and the main problem in that the main 3 characters are really hollow, boring and rarely funny. Most of the humor comes from side or gag characters.

>I don't know why this show gets so much hate?
>pretty much futurama tier
Futurama's main character wasn't a woman. This is modern Yea Forums after all.

Yeah nice argument asshole. Leela was a main character who hung out with 2 dopey guys yet she was way more well-rounded and interesting. She was also the straight-man which made for better comedic set-ups. Disenchantment's straight man is Zogg but he is barely in the show.

I think it’s how a lot of times they will explain a joke instead of using subtlety. It ruins the punchline if you state why it’s funny.

>Futurama's main character wasn't a woman
you always say that, is your only defend of the show"this show is great you dont like it because you are a misoginist",no one is buying that pal

i always liked amy,especially in the first seasons,she was so dumb and funny,and accident prone,i really like silly comedy like that

I liked it.

The slow pace & super awkward timing
Like if they had kept the same plot but fit more gags into the run time it would have made it way more watchable

>nice argument
Name one female led cartoon this board doesn't hate. No clue how closely you're watching either, Zogg is in practically every episode.

The show has a lot of problems. The sound mixing in the first season was godawful. Still about as good as season 1 Futurama (which also wasn't that good until later season 2/season 3).

None of the jokes in futurama were ever used to establish setting.

Remember the world of tommorow?
Remember that future citizens dress in censor bars?
Remember suicide booths?
Remember that police officers are violent and useless in the future?
All this shit was jokes that made the episode funnier because of its fish out of water gags, they were never meant to be taken seriously

>Name one female led cartoon this board doesn't hate
Amphibia

this is a weird complain but i really dont like the voice acting of the main three,especially elfo

Why does Rick and Morty's in your face atheism get shit, but this equally obnoxious shit is okay?

>Name one female led cartoon this board doesn't hate
we use to like star vs until third season,man third season was a mistake,sometimes i think im the only moron on this place who hates hilda,but i have problems,them again most of the borad has,also Yea Forums is starting to warm up amphibian,i really want to watch that but im afraid it will be great and them they will ruin it,like with star vs,or adventure time, i have been burned too many times, i dont wat to be hurt again

Disenchantment isn't an autism magnet.

Have they ragged on bikini armor yet?
It's just not a tired, obvious fantasy trope deconstruction until someones starts crying about chainmail bikinis and nipple armor.

You literally excused the first 2 episodes of Disenchantment for being low on jokes because the writers were too busy world-building yet you've given me a bunch of memorable jokes there from the first episode of Futurama which also contained a lot of worldbuilding. So you're either agreeing with me and moving goal posts.
>all the jokes were fish out of water gags, they were never meant to be taken seriously
>jokes not taken seriously
Were no shit, they're JOKES. Jesus, figures a brainlet like you would enjoy the sanitized lazy writing of Disenchantment.

Let’s just look at facts instead of ad hominem. The show is mediocre the jokes don’t land for both male and females. Show isn’t terrible but being only barely watchable is worse.

im so tired of that,i love bikini armor

>Is true. I was class clown.
>Is joke. Or is?

The only thing I can remember from season 1 that made me laugh.

>Name one female led cartoon this board doesn't hate. No clue how closely you're watching either, Zogg is in practically every episode.
If people hate Disenchanted because of sexism, why is Elfo by far a less popular character here than Bean?
We loved Star vs the Forces of Evil for the first 2 seasons, and also loved Daron Nefcy. The writing dropped off HARD and our opinions of the show and, for some, the creator, changed. So it wasn't about gender.
We like Amphibia. People only shitted on Infinity Train/Amphibia/Owl House in the context of the tribe wars meme, because they preferred one of the other shows about a girl. Miraculous Ladybug has a lot of fans here.
Steven Universe may have a male title character but all the other gems are female and Sugar is female; it's one of the most popular shows on here. Going back further, I think Kim Possible was well-liked. The original Power Puff Girls was liked. Nobody likes the new one, but not because they're girls. Everybody loves Totally Spies. People like Daria. Most people here liked the Wonder Woman movie.
I don't think you have a leg to stand on here. EVERY show gets shitted on by some, but female led shows don't get it harder than anyone else. Some female led shows have irritated people for political reasons aside from the lead characters gender (She-Ra because of some things Noelle Stevenson has said, High Guardian Spice because they released a trailer which was just them praising their own diversity for being mostly white women). No bias involved.

Infinity Train

I think the difference is that these are writers and directors used to the strict format of television and haven't adapted well the the greater flexibility streaming gives them.

They literally could rip off Adventure Time and Bob's Burgers wholesale but they're too fucking lazy to

Imagine being so sensitive that you consider criticism the same as being "upset" at the joke.

I do wonder if the show is too self-conscious to be funny. It was marketed as Matt Groening's most feminist show, whatever that's worth. But Homer is a lovable bumbling idiot, and Fry is a lovable bumbling idiot. That's the kind of humor and character they know how to write around, but they wouldn't or couldn't go that direction with Bean.

I guess Elfo fits the bumbling idiot role, but they forgot the lovable part.

I haven't watched season 2 yet but I thought season 1 was serviceable. Certainly not trash, there are far worse shows. Doesn't stand up to early Simpsons but that's an impossible standard nowadays, the conditions that led to that level of quality simply can't be replicated.

Not him but that was barely "criticism". If you don't bring substance, don't expect to get substance back.

It's called formula,
And after almost thirty years of the Simpsons, it should be pretty robotic by now

Interesting theory. There are lots of older writers putting out good books but maybe something like comedy is just harder to do right past a certain age. I doubt their age would be an issue if it was just a straight fantasy drama.

This is literally a stolen Sarah Silverman hot take.

Attached: 1561714875843.gif (500x280, 496K)

A lot of the time the show feels like an adventure/drama show first and a comedy second. I actually like it better for that, but the comedy could use some more fine-tuning. I like the slower pace too but I don't think they've totally gotten their footing on that. There's plenty of pauses that feel like they're appropriately placed to let a scene breathe, but other times it feels awkward.

Attached: boomhauer elf.png (226x275, 82K)

Briggs is most likely the reason it's not funny.
>fat abo manlet
>hates white people
>is an abo supremacist
>I have never heard him be funny once

Attached: 220px-Briggs_at_Robert_Hunter_Cup_2012[1].jpg (220x306, 20K)

and she is quite brilliant, if I do say so myself

Attached: 2019-09-22 05_43_35-58a215a8bc95914652855b96 (695×431).png (566x428, 268K)

We call them "Spastikas", and they're all over Western Sydney.

She is joking , right?

Nah I think the show is actually critical of organized religion, like all Matt's shows are to an extent. Remember all those god episodes of Simpsons

It would have been good if they'd actually got her to do the voice.

If you correct her she'll tell you yes and call you stupid for not realizing it.

Main character is just extremely unlikable when compared to Fry.

95% chance it's marking communications cable under the sidewalk.
5% chance it's a Jewish false flag.

Attached: oyveywhodidthis.jpg (1058x598, 62K)

I want Disenchantment to be better than it is. As of right now, one full season in (apparently) it's just mediocre. Twenty episodes and I've had a handful of chuckles, a handful of belly laughs and a handful of "oh shit" moments spread out over 10+ hours.
And the worst part is the show doesn't know what it wants from itself. Is it a straight parody? Is it a drama with humor elements? Is it woke or woke satire? Are we making this for kids or families? Thirty year old boomers or zoomers? Why doesn't the staff know?
I feel like it could turn the corner and be something worth while but as of right now I'm off the disenchantment ride.

They have more male writers than the third season of rick and morty.

It's a pretty disjointed show. The overarching story stops and starts with no warning, but you can disregard the self contained episodes that revolve around Bean having some problem, usually of her own making. A lot of the humor is obvious and repetitive too, they'll keep going back to
>Religion is stupid
>Medieval life was suffering
>We don't know how disease works
>Anything we don't understand is magic
Character motivations also seem to fall off a cliff.
Elfo get to heaven after fulfilling his dream of exploring the outside world, but why would he come back to life? Luci wanted to get a demon promotion for more power, but gave that up. Then he started running a tavern so he'd have something to do for the season. Zog goes between depression over his kingdom falling to ruin (then getting restored) and his wives leaving him, but he also wants to be "Kingly" to the point that he purposefully gets gout. The reason the elves come to Dreamland is because Leavo said they'd found what they were looking for and it's somewhere in the castle, but they don't say what and just drop that plot. Derek befriends a one eyed octopus and mistakenly gives it growth potion he found in the castle. The octopus forms an attachment to him but doesn't show up again. Oona decides to become a pirate captain and just leaves. Why did the steampunk people want to kill Zog in the first place?

The whole show seems like a collection of unfinished ideas punctuated with bad humor, characters we've seen before because Groening can't seem to create anything new and recycled jokes. If his name wasn't attached the show I can't imagine it would have been renewed.

>twenty episodes and I've had a handful of chuckles, a handful of belly laughs and a handful of "oh shit" moments spread out over 10+ hours.
thats an above average score

Yea Forums sucks and hates everything. If Futurama premiered now, you'd all bitch about it.

If you’d like we can break down an episode of each show, compare them and show that Futurama is objectively funnier.

Post princess feet please

the humor

>Image

That's such a lame version of that joke. So broad.

The only defense of this show anyone has mounted is to attack Yea Forums rather then actually say the show itself is good.

I like bad things on occasion. Stuff like Family Guy, American Dad and South Park get the occasional chuckle out of me. Disenchantment on the other seems to have managed to make something so unfunny that I am genuinely impressed. It's like they tried to make it this way, but I guess it would make more sense to compare to something like The Room.

Attached: 1566002904599.jpg (960x720, 99K)