How important is a character's ethnicity to storytelling?

How important is a character's ethnicity to storytelling?

Attached: screenshot.jpg (500x211, 53K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.li/ZK7pD
youtube.com/watch?v=TuCYqyHg9E8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It depends. If you want your story to be historically accurate then you can't write Little Women with people of color, sorry.

There is literally no reason for non-whites to be cast in lead roles

>you can't write Little Women with people of color, sorry.
How long have you been an alt-right Nazi

Since today apparently

About as important as a woman's role in the workplace

Because OP is a turbofaggot:
>a TV pitch video (feat. Randall Park) of some no-name graphic novel co-written by Marie Kondo's interpreter and her husband who is a commercial and music video director and drawn by one of the artists who worked on Voltron: Legendary Defender caught the eye of the producers of the Twilight film series to be placed under development
archive.li/ZK7pD

Not very

What do you do user? where do you work?

Here's the pitch video in question:
youtube.com/watch?v=TuCYqyHg9E8
Since its maker is a literal who, no one will care about his work, his upcoming Netflix series which he successfully video-pitched being one of them.

I was expecting "El Chicano" Asian edition.

Depends on the story.
If it's about a black guy looking into his family history, it's very important.

It's it's about a black guy who invents a machine that can turn water into gold, than it's not.

There is literally no reason for whites to be cast in lead roles either

their money pay the products.

While I do appreciate they didn't just take the easy route and do generic CGI for the fox, I feel they don't have the budget to pull of the Live action as the gag they want to do look too cringy in live action. It's a shame we couldn't get a 2d animated series, she looks cute in 2d form

Attached: cute witch.jpg (1066x646, 145K)

Depends on the story. Stand alone? Not very. Commentary on the conditions of this and that ethnicity? It would certainly be weird starring a white guy in a story about the difficulties faced by the African American community, but you could probably make it work if you were creative about it.

Depends on the story. Maybe it add something to the plot, or you just want to be more accurate to the setting, or other stuff like that.
You could just slap some vaguely brown gay character and you'd have some happy people from the media/twitter/sjws. Of course those same assholes would complain like you did nothing and keep demanding more though.

Good fuck this just scream "I'm not like any other girls" written on the wall

Attached: stickman-cartoon-of-man-tired-and-bored-of-long-vector-17686202.jpg (1000x1024, 121K)

Ethnic characters are nice as long as you don't make a big deal out of it.
Black female hero? Nice.
Outrageous fierce BLACK oppressed FEMALE HEROINE? No, fuck off please

I'm in the military

Taiwan #1

It dependes. If some element of its history, culture, or background is going to be an important part of the story, then it is important.

This is grasping at straws to say something is progressive, asians have never been rare in media so they have to specify chinese-american. Imagine if white people did the same for every white ethnicity or combination.

Of course!
How are people going to be racist if there isn't a scoreboard tallying the achievements of peoples genetic origin instead of the achievements of the people themselves

>How important is a character's ethnicity to storytelling?
According to libshits? If you are white then your ethnicity isn't fundamental to the story. Any other then omggodlikeya ya ya it's like super important and must never be erased under any circumstances.
Fuck. That. Noise.

Speaking as a white man, I would refuse to give my money to any Mortal Kombat adaptation where Liu Kang (or Sub-Zero if they adapt Mythologies) isn't the main character. Both those guys happen to have being Chinese as a fundamental part of their backstory.

That was an intelligent response, has Yea Forums finally started growing brain cells?

Attached: EBFSRYxXoAEkrEP.jpg (394x398, 17K)

Well, people ate up Last Samurai, despite being utterly ridiculous and grossly historically inaccurate.
Like, fuck. Samurai fighting for traditionalism because they love swords and honor so much?
Yeah, no. This was a Japanese power struggle between the Shogunate and the Imperial court who both tried to modernise as fast as possible to gain control.
The Samurai hadn't had a decisive field battle in 250 years at that point and the sheer existence of star forts on Japan would indicate that their sword fighting days were considered long over.
Because star forts are built to withstand artillery fire.
And of course there needs to be the one white guy stumbling right through the fucking boshin war like he belongs.
Goddamn, I hate that stupid movie.

Republic of China is best China!
Hong-Kong should defect.

Don't delude yourself. This is just a fluke.

Can you even imagined the plight of those quarter-Italian Germans who get slightly teased by their friends every few years during the world championship?
They deserve ALL THE REPRESENTATION!

The Shogunate for example loved the British and consistently pushed for more British trade so they could have more delicious guns.

It was the Imperial court that decided to go all reclusive and limit western influence.

Or Street Fighter/Ryu.

unironically yes

Let's be honest here. They wanted to modernise on their own terms and not get fucking colonised.
The Shogunate didn't love having foreigners running around, either. They just needed all the guns and support to face the Emperor deciding he's back in power now.
Japan despised the position of weakness they were in and had to navigate their situation without getting conquered like Africa and India or broken like China.
They had to catch up to the West and become a power in their own right or get fucked by the West forever.
This would always lead to them limiting influence and becoming nationalist as a defensive move.
The only question was how and when they would get rid of the unequal contracts and the European vultures.

Incredibly important.
Hispanic American Rick never would have filled the car with diesel. Unlike Latino Australian Rick.

Attached: 1523049389498.jpg (825x464, 97K)

It depends on the story, but nowadays it's probably something about how white men and America are evil ...

This. It's no different than any other element in a character. Do we know what Tony Stark's favorite candy is? No, because it's not important to his story. Do we know what the Ed boys favorite candy is? Yes, because the goal of their story is to get jawbreakers.

The people who think we need to know a character's entire DNA family history and if they have a circumcised dick or not even if it never plays into the story come across as high school writers who are just filling out a "character creator template" document than actually writing a story.

The fact that this is a question shows how deep the lie goes.

When are we going to get an honest movie about being an Asian American or Hapa male?

Attached: alex buckner, killed entire family and burned down the house.jpg (636x382, 58K)

Liu Kang is so fucking boring.

This is true though.

>It's it's about a black guy who invents a machine that can turn water into gold, than it's not.
I can think of ways it probably would be.

>According to libshits? If you are white then your ethnicity isn't fundamental to the story.
So Spider-man *can* be black?

Apparently, yes. The race you're born is the entire framing device for your whole personality, all of the members of a race think the exact same things, there's no different views and opinions among one race, we all must think alike, like a hivemind.
How dare you not think like a minority, you fucking Uncle Tom Juan Oreo blah blah blah...
You fucking bigots don't understand that pigment in the skin says more about you than any thoughts or actions you could ever hold.

Attached: EExfn2OW4AgOoVb.jpg (259x167, 5K)

Street fighter I feel is different. There's two story paths there. One is the whole Shadaloo thing and that's gotta be about Guile/Charlie/Chun-Li. You can tell a good story there. It hasn't been done yet, but it's possible.
The other is the Shotos and their history together, specifically Ryu trying not to become another Akuma.

Depends on where the story's from.
If it's from the US it's pretty damn important, because your show isn't even going to get greenlit unless the people funding it know who it's "for"
Japan, it seems to vary. Like off the top of my head, the character ethnicities are really damn important in Fullmetal Alchemist and Attack on Titan, whereas in One Piece it doesn't matter.
From what I've seen, France doesn't give a shit.

>So Spider-man *can* be black?

Attached: 1_YI09-wQXPKJpPRUvayeXNg.jpg (488x750, 63K)

>The people who think we need to know a character's entire DNA family history and if they have a circumcised dick or not even if it never plays into the story come across as high school writers who are just filling out a "character creator template" document than actually writing a story.
If you don't care enough to really understand the character, then you don't really care about the character, and that will come through in the lacking writing. So why would the reader (or whatever) care? That's what worldbuilding is all about. Otherwise everything is poorly thought out and one-dimensional.

>How can you possibly enjoy a story if you haven't though about the race percentage of your character whose main story is, "Trying to find his lost dog"?

By that logic, every author should have a character's entire fucking lifespan written down somewhere. I want to know whether or not George and Lennie ever got diarrhea when they were kids and whether or not they prefer boxers or briefs.

BTW you're fucking stupid.

How the fuck did people convince themselves that "X race must behave in Y manner" isn't racist as fuck anyway? It's racist as fuck.