I get that Tony has to be in the suit so that fight scenes can have some tension but is there an in-universe reason why...

I get that Tony has to be in the suit so that fight scenes can have some tension but is there an in-universe reason why he can't pilot it remotely?

Attached: 3596556138fb560f-600x338.jpg (600x338, 77K)

>wirelessly hacked
>lag
>wifi device could get damage
>public reception would be through the shitter if anyone found out hes saving lives from his couch
>his ego cant handle not being in the limelight and doing his heroing in person

I figure there’s two reasons one all you need is some kind of jammer and you beat Iron Man and two some kind of lag which could cause problems in a fight

not a good idea to send out empty suits into the wild that can and have been hacked before and retooled into high tech bombs with starks name on it
not to mention all the other issues with wireless connections

He does and has a lot of the time. Especially lately. I think he did quite a bit in Captain Marvel's current comic. But more often than not Tony does better when he's there in person.

The answer is 'No, not really'. The very logical objections that are raised on this thread have never occurred in the comic when he did in fact use a remote-controlled unit.

He's done it more than a few times. The suits seem to fall apart more easily if nobody's inside them.

The suits seem to be pretty smart on their own. AI. Even less tech-savvy outfits (like the US government) can build Sentinels.
Pseudo-random frequency-hopping pulse-modulation defeats most jammers. Heck, my key-fob communicates with my car with a "rolling code", so recording the signal and trying to break in by playing it back doesn't work.
Time lag _is_ a problem, but only IRL. Characters in the Marvel Universe hold face-to-face teleconferences across lightyears. Signals go through hyperspace or some such BS.

That leaves only "who would care about a bunch of machines beating the snot our of each other?"
Sorry, Transformers fans.

Incidentally, do they ever explain how, however invulnerable the armor is, Tony isn't a drooling idiot from Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy. Like pro football players.

>not controling multiple robotic drones simultaneously with a chip implanted in your brain and your superhuman multi tasking ability

Can Tony even touch Robot?

Attached: 4958018-0950172106-latest.jpg (831x960, 164K)

tony would shit on robot

>But is there an in-universe reason why he can't pilot it remotely?

Ego.

None now really. It used to be that he needed the suit to keep him alive. Another arc made it so that remote controlled suits were inferior to direct control. Nowadays, he is able to control multiple suits remotely with no noticeable decline in capabilities.

He did that in the mid 90s

>but is there an in-universe reason why he can't pilot it remotely?
You really can't trust an AI.
Also he used to do it when he was in space and he piloted even more at once, but he simply isn't as effective as when he is inside. He probably would have been able to do it more easier if he had the extremis

It's not the smartest idea around when half of the villains in Marvel are genius scientists looking to steal or adapt some new piece of technology.

Every hero has at least 2-3 evil genius villains, most X-villains are evil geniuses, most Iron Man and Ant Man villains are evil geniuses, and AIM is a big collection of costumed evil geniuses.

Someone between Wizard, Leader, Thinker, Tinkerer, Mandarin, MODOK, Osborn, Zola, Zemo, Dark Beast, Arcade, or Doc Ock would eventually hack into the signal and control it.

I remember a big part of the Extremis arc was Tony fussing over the reaction time of the suit. I figure that's the reason he never relies on remote control.

I think he has done that before in the comics, piloting one of his suits from afar like using some kind of Gigantor type system.

The suit was remote controlled during the 90s when Stark was paralyzed. It had serious issues with lag.

The reason he doesn't use AI is because he's scared of creating something like Ultron, dunno if that's retconned.

Attached: telepresence armor.jpg (338x536, 70K)

Ego.

There’s a billion “No U” bullshit tactics that have been pulled over the years to justify bullshit after comic book science bullshit- but ultimately nothing could ever trump his will to prove himself.

One of the most interesting concepts that barely gets touched on is what happens when the suit reaches a point where Tony can't keep up with it anymore.

The coolest Iron Man story is Hypervelocity, where an incomplete AI copy of Tony is uploaded into an suit. Once you take the human pilot out of the equation Iron Man is suddenly speedster level.

>Hows Angry Joe gonna get out of this one?

The Batman comics are better though, I don't think he controls his suits like puppets the way Ironman can.

Doesn’t 616 Tony already have Speedster level reaction times? At least mentally?

This. Tony has issues with feeling like he isn't enough at times, especially when compared to other geniuses in the Marvel universe. Putting himself in the suit to physically be there in a battle while potentially putting his own life on the line makes him feel like he's actually doing something of worth with his life. The guy is pretty self destructive.

All of these are correct, especially number 5

this seems like a good compromise story wise even if the physics doesn't techically make sense

>is there an in-universe reason why he can't pilot it remotely?
Any telepresenece rig he can come up with risks neurological damage. If he turns the feed down to a point that he isn't risking that, or tries for a more 'traditional' telepresence system performance in the field drops precipitously until he's no better than any of the disposable MU robots.

Plus the risk of having a remote-operated suit be hijacked or an autonomous/semiautonomous one go rogue.
(All of this got multiple storylines in the 90s. The reason Marvel isn't addressing it now is because the ground was thoroughly and repeatedly trodden 20 years ago to the point that there isn't really any place to go with it unless you want more transhumanist bullshit -- which no one but Ellis wants.)

616 superscience is leagues above Invincible's.

He absolutely wouldn't, especially because robot has access to teleportation
>tony could rig that up
then he should do so more often in more comics for it to be a part of his powerset

He can. And has.

Writers just don't want to have him do it, I guess. For some reason, the average comic book writer has a real problem with dealing with powers that aren't basic as fuck.

My question with Iron Man is, why isn't every marvel hero teamed up with iron man not wearing an iron man suit at literally all times? Why do spiderman and Cap even bother with their unitards when an iron man suit would be so much more effective, plus if the suit got damaged or whatever they could jump out and still be way better then iron man.

The go-to answer for that is that the armor gets in the way or dampens their individual skillsets. It's why Tony makes equipment for them that boosts or complements their abilities instead. Ignoring that, Tony has made Steve several armors over the years and he just refuses to use them unless the writing calls for it.

Fpbp

pretty good answer, user