Guardians of the Galaxy #9 Storytime

Good morning... Grab a cup of coffee and come get your dose of EDGE in SPACE, courtesy of Cates.

Attached: Guardians of the Galaxy 009-000.jpg (1192x1833, 973K)

Other urls found in this thread:

desuarchive.org/co/thread/109655076/
twitter.com/MichaelMoreci/status/1174398102540865536.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bumps are appreciated.

Attached: Guardians of the Galaxy 009-001.jpg (1192x1833, 565K)

Attached: Guardians of the Galaxy 009-002.jpg (1192x1833, 623K)

"Thanos Wins" future...

Attached: Guardians of the Galaxy 009-003.jpg (1192x1833, 792K)

Whoops, sorry, I posted a page from Absolute Carnage by mistake!
Wait, no...

Attached: Guardians of the Galaxy 009-004.jpg (1192x1833, 591K)

Attached: Guardians of the Galaxy 009-005.jpg (1192x1833, 601K)

Damn, there goes the trip again.

Attached: Guardians of the Galaxy 009-006.jpg (1192x1833, 524K)

Oh no, a twist!

Attached: Guardians of the Galaxy 009-007.jpg (1192x1833, 551K)

This is probably the most "appreciation" J'Son has ever had for Peter in forever, not sure where this is coming from, but whatever.

Attached: Guardians of the Galaxy 009-008.jpg (1192x1833, 601K)

Attached: Guardians of the Galaxy 009-009.jpg (1192x1833, 566K)

>The highest single concentration of life energy in the universe
That... Can't be right.

Attached: Guardians of the Galaxy 009-010.jpg (1192x1833, 470K)

Oh no, another twist! How could he possibly do that!

Attached: Guardians of the Galaxy 009-011.jpg (1192x1833, 707K)

Attached: Guardians of the Galaxy 009-012.jpg (1192x1833, 633K)

Attached: Guardians of the Galaxy 009-013.jpg (1192x1833, 543K)

Bump-ski

No seriously... How exactly did he break conditioning?
Danke.

Attached: Guardians of the Galaxy 009-014.jpg (1192x1833, 624K)

Meanwhile in some other place, doing some wheel-spinning to pad the arc...

Attached: Guardians of the Galaxy 009-015.jpg (1192x1833, 820K)

Attached: Guardians of the Galaxy 009-016.jpg (1192x1833, 768K)

... And he makes his official return in this run, though if you've been following the Thanos miniseries and the covers, you knew he was showing up here.

Attached: Guardians of the Galaxy 009-017.jpg (1192x1833, 782K)

>That caption on the first panel

Attached: Guardians of the Galaxy 009-019.jpg (1192x1833, 828K)

Attached: Guardians of the Galaxy 009-020.jpg (1192x1833, 588K)

This is extremely decompressed, not sure if you've noticed by now.

Attached: Guardians of the Galaxy 009-021.jpg (1192x1833, 826K)

Dun dun dun!! The fourth and last twist of the issue!
Congratulations to the guy in the preview thread from yesterday who figured out who could've been the blacked out guy in the cover for #12.

Attached: Guardians of the Galaxy 009-022.jpg (1192x1833, 716K)

Letters page...
Some details:
1) Beta Ray Bill / Lockjaw miniseries coming soon?
2) According to this, 616 Moondragon is still alive, contradicting Duggan who said she was dead off-screen (and that's fine because it didn't make sense)
3) Lockjaw a "permanent member"? I guess the Inhumans are off the table for good in this run.
4) Confirmation that the Nova Corps are dead again, thank you Hackes, I mean Cates.

Attached: Guardians of the Galaxy 009-023.jpg (1192x1833, 707K)

And that's it for this month. Rocket sure is taking his sweet time to die in this arc, huh...? Anyway, 9 down, 3 to go... Hopefully.

Attached: Guardians of the Galaxy 009-024.jpg (1192x1833, 415K)

Art looks like a manga. I liked the previous artist.

Well alright then?

>It's a comic book artist just traces some GunPla he has lying around for a mecha and doesn't even bother to hide that it's a toy episode

are you serious?

Rod you gonna do HoTMU?

I don't know, I like this one more because they don't look like smudges.
Yes, I'm going to do it in a moment.

When did J'son become a cultist space wizard?

History of the Marvel Universe #3 storytime here:

He doesn't recognize Cosmo?

Okay but
Of all the people he could’ve gotten back from the dead to fix this dark future WHY Drax? What’s he supposed to do, fucking body Death herself?

Maybe Death's Champion in the future is gonna be King Thanos? A retread of old plots, among them Thanos Imperative, where Drax fights Thanos once again with the edgy twist that they're all equally evil, and shit.

>kill the earth to save the universe
Has Cates wrote any original ideas so far, or it's all rethread of better writers?

Isn't Thanos currently about to fist The One Above All to death because he stole his regulators and used them to pull an Infinite Zamasu on all the Cosmic Abstracts? Seems like it'd be a little above Drax's paygrade

I came to this thread just to check if they actually used the literal Gundam and I must say that is entirely correct.

Kid Magnus is just going to be a rerun of Kid Loki isn't he?

Well to be fair, Starlin's Thanos is happening out of continuity... But Drax was always below Thanos anyway, he was only able to kill Thanos when he allowed to be killed in first place (even that one time when he ripped his heart out). So no idea who this other "champion" might be, unless Cates is planning to resurrect Mar-Vell just for this.
Both Kid Magus and Warlock are currently running around, so it's going to be interesting if they meet each other... Not under Cates' pen mind you, but still.

I was expecting Rocky’s Gundam to have more of an immediate impact than immediately pivoting to filler action.

He has lottle faith? They mention that in the next page and it's the name of the story bit honestly Ewing really explained ot better om his story and when he had the Church go to Quasar instead of Nova.

>Edging closer
Kek. Also Peter telling his dad he doesn't jabe it in him to kill him, yeah I am pretty sure we seen before that he has it in him.

>I am pretty sure we seen before that he has it in him.
That's what I'm saying, I'm not confident that Cates actually understands the relationship between them, it's completely OOC for either of them to care about the other.
>They mention that in the next page and it's the name of the story bit honestly Ewing really explained ot better om his story and when he had the Church go to Quasar instead of Nova.
This might be it, I suppose. Except it's never really stated, so he just goes from mind-controlled to punching his father. If it all hinges upon the "lack of faith" then I guess it's obvious what Rocket's role is going to be in this (since he thinks himself hopeless), but Quill breaking the mind control is an asspull.

Poor Drax's happiness in that otjer universr couldn't last, oh well.

Also these writers (or is it the editors) can't fucking let go the MCU GotG roster can they?

Oh look a rehash of that plot thread from Hickman's Avengers run.

>Kill Death
Cancerverse has shown that's a horrible idea.

They really should stop bringing the Nova corps back, at this point they only just die. It also really drives home why Rich was so hesitant to bring them back post-Annihilation.

I just know Drax was suppose to be the avatar of life in Thanos Imperative but they didn't do much with that.
In the fact that he's a villain that comes back as a kid and helps the heroes out and possibly wants redemption from his past acts while also wanting to be his own person. But Kid Loki really benefitted from Guillen's writing and I don't see anyone at Marvel being able to give him that.

I guess Ewing but he's too busy with his event and with Hulk.

Cates is just a shit writer but what gets me is that he doesn't give a shit about Guardians like he does Venom.

My guess is that this was a Bendis situation in which someone convinced him to do GotG just so enoigh for a fee trades and then have him move on. Or maybe he saw that Aaron left Thor and wanted some of that, it's my fear that him and Asron are just going to switch titles.

Ive got a high tolerance for rehashed concepts in cape comics but god-damned if this doesn't feel like I've read it before

>Purple Evil Church obsessed with life and defeating Death.
>They have tentacles that grab people.
>Drax as the life avatar and being back in his purple outfit.
Pretty sure Cates is stealing shit from Thanos Imperative and I wouldn't be surprised if the Many Angled Oned are behind this too.

Is Star Lord still a dweeb in this book?

He's an alcoholic loser that really doesn't do shit and just watched as events unfold around him.

Attached: Peter_drinks_his_miseries_away.png (611x522, 560K)

This comic has been shit but I do like Peter being visually portrayed as being gruff as opposed to a pretty boy (or a semi hairy hunk when Anka draws him).

okay I'm up for it

Seriously how did they get by the ripoff of Gundam?

>reviving Drax
>as your messiah
>in his original purple costume
Weird flex but ok.

Some information on the upcoming Annihilation Scourge event here tl;dr, Cates isn't attached, Rosenberg will write 3 out of 6 one-shots, Dan Abnett and Christos Gage are returning.

We’re really storytiming this but not Absolute Carnage

>his official return in this run
You are talking about Magnus in general or this version of Magnus? Because i haven't seen this shota anywhere's else besides in the covers for the solicits

Hey, Drax got his best design back.
Those last two issues have been better than the other ones, but i still hope Cates will be removed from the book soon, i enjoy him in stuff like Venom or AC but his Guardians have been mostly garbage so far.

Search more carefully

ffs. Marvel cosmic is such a goddamn joke, they just keep resetting to status quo

Any bets on how long before Drax gets his tattoos back? Or if they'll look like MCU's Drax's tats now?

>this version of Magnus?
This version was last seen at the end of Duggan's GOTG, and then he showed up again in the Thanos miniseries, issue #5, which I storytimed... But no one was around to see it: desuarchive.org/co/thread/109655076/
So yeah, he was expected to appear here as per the covers for #11.
I think this is less to a reset to status quo (which was clear after Infinity Wars: Fallen Guardian) and more that Cates lifted this right out of Thanos Imperative, instead of pushing things forward. Dumb, of course.

I don't think Drax has tattoos in the comics it was just war paint AFAIK, also he wore this outfit in Thanos Imperative, might be a temp thing.

Cates is still a hack though.

>1) Beta Ray Bill / Lockjaw miniseries coming soon?
No, Lockjaw will just be in Bill's Annihilation: Scourge issue
>>twitter.com/MichaelMoreci/status/1174398102540865536.

How did Savage Dragon become a member of the Gotg?

Cates has read Blackest Night

Attached: blackest-night-7-the-entity.jpg (887x699, 184K)

Yep, that much is certain now. Which means... No miniseries, and nothing in the future for Cates in Cosmic aside from co-writing that dumb Cosmic Ghost Rider miniseries in December.
Yay?

Understandable I guess the two are friends.
>3) Lockjaw a "permanent member"? I guess the Inhumans are off the table for good in this run.
They kinda already said that when Lockjaw first showed up in the comic.

Attached: Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Beta-Ray-Bill-Lockjaw.jpg (738x909, 223K)

This whole run has been a whole stupid joke. They promised new things, back to basic, new direction and for what? To go back to the same old shit the fucking movies have for fucking five years now.

That's it. I'm completely done with this shit. You people enjoy it if you like it but I'm fucking done. Call me when they actually get rid of the fuckers from the movie for good.

>You people enjoy it if you like it
I don't think anyone here enjoys it and seems to be taking the piss on it, even the storytimer.
>Call me when they actually get rid of the fuckers from the movie for good.
Probably won't happen for awhile or at least until a writer that actually knows and likes these characters outside the MCU starts doing the comic.

Cates is probably going to focus on Venom related shit for now on and possibly going to Thor to unload all of that pent up Knull wank.

I guess JMS' Thor and Gillen's JiM were the last time I enjoyed any Thor related stuff.