Why are Americans so anti-EDM and obsessed with rock?

in Europe back in the 90s already all the kids wanted to be DJs and not play a guitar. yet Americans are so hung up in idea of EDM being gay/European/not real music. why is that outside like brief moments in early 2010s when dubstep was popular.

Attached: 565.jpg (474x268, 31.34K)

because you touch yourself at night

No idea since mainstream rock in America is basically creatively dead and has been for years.

dubbi is a diamond in the rough

Rock is coming back now after a lull of some years.

To answer OP's question EDM is the perfect music for the modern technocrat SocDem German or Scandinavian--plastic and mechanical with any human element removed from it. Since Americans have actual souls it didn't take here.

>To answer OP's question EDM is the perfect music for the modern technocrat SocDem German or Scandinavian--plastic and mechanical with any human element removed from it. Since Americans have actual souls it didn't take here.
/thread

This is half correct but not for his gay reason.

In America, music (and well, all popular art) is merely a vehicle to push a person, or some kind of icon. If there isn't a face attached to the song it just doesn't work. It's why Americans can't listen to a single thing without someone singing lyrics. Why Robert Downy Jr face needs to be on screen all the time even when he is in the suit in the "American equivalent to the Iliad", Marvel movies. Americans have no appreciation for art, they only know how to worship idols. Any popular art in America is just an excuse for them to worship the face behind it.

In other countries people can actually appreciate art, even art without some rich guys face plastered all over it

That's just a needlessly obtuse way of saying American culture is individualistic and Sweden is collectivist.

There might be a very remote and indirect relation between what i said and how individualistic and collectivist the cultures are... but that's not at all what I described.

even their metal was always kind of that way and didn't have any element of blues in it

HoTD will never be finished

bump

Imagine listening to any kind of pop or electronic music. Absolutely soulless garbage for npcs.

Fatboy Slim had an occasional moment but that was his British zanyness.

Nobody in America is obsessed with rock, it's a gay white boy genre for boomers

Because clubs are for homos. House was originated by gay black men in Chicago.

Not necessarily, I'd argue that being anonymous and reclusive and making music discretely is just as individualistic as someone who desires fame and. Individualism and egotism aren't the same.

>inb4 libertarianfag btfo

Don't gay dudes just listen to female pop singers or something?

In Europe in the '70s you had artists like Vangelis & Jean Micheal Jarre that ingrained "electronic" music into the consciousness. Then w/ the advent of Punk & then New Wave where artists liķe Gary Numan, Ultravox & The Human League really got all of that music started much earlier than in the States.

So he was right.

Rock is inherently grounded in the South and Midwestern US where it originated, it never had a really solid cultural rooting in Europe and was treated as a passing fad there in the 60s-70s.

no wonder europe is shit and gay

but people there today just listen to buttcountry if white and Southern rap if black

for some reason American music has always had a lot of that mmuh soul mmuh blues maymay like you can't sound ironic or cheeky, everything has to be passionate and soulful.

have you considered that edm really is gay and european?

The music industry in the US is run by rockist boomers who don't particularly like EDM or even know how to market it (they tolerate hip-hop since it can be more easily fit into the rockist paradigm).

The American soul is too chaotic for that music to appeal here. It works in the very clean collectivist society of Sweden.

The corporate suits in the US music industry get all twitchy over the association of EDM with illicit drugs.

it was never really NYC or LA's music either although they bandwagoned it for a few decades

but not hiphop?

They're successfully able to market lyrics about drug use as part of "the culture."

you solved the puzzle about why we haven't gotten so much mainstream rock lately

>rock was always kind of the heartland states' music
>but for a while coastal bougies thought roots music was cool and they bandwagoned it
>eventually they stopped thinking roots music was cool and decided...I guess EDM or whatever was cool instead
>so rock kind of disappeared back to the club scene in flyover states
answer: you want rock or blues to be on the charts again, you need to find some way to convince rich hipsters in California that it's cool like happened in the 60s unfortunately nowadays they're all bugmen who consider the South/Midwest a hellscape of Trump-voting homophobic racists so want nothing to do with it or its music

Both genres are dying anyway so who cares

It was like that in the 50s. The bougie class back then listened to GASB pop and thought rock and country were hillbillly cousin-fucker shit. Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra led an ASCAP attempt to get the FCC to ban them from the radio for being degenerate music.

maybe live here before commenting? the top 100 for the last 10+ years is all electronic, its just either rap, latin or...well yeah just those two. edm is in the dna of all modern productions. even country is very edm'ed.

rock has been dead. even the few mainstream modern rock releases that aren't part of the "lo fi bedroom indie" regional circles uses modern production with sample replaced machine gun drums and automation up the ass.

I just covered that two posts above. the problem isn't that people don't play rock, it's that our elite class nowadays does not so they don't fund it like they did in the 60s. actually our elite class nowadays has pretty godawful tastes from what they do fund.

*in asia

ftfy

although america is becoming a close 2nd

>actually our elite class nowadays has pretty godawful tastes from what they do fund

like this bullshit

nah, we listen to kpop because we're incels

its the american way

>its just either rap, latin or...well yeah just those two. edm is in the dna of all modern productions. even country is very edm'ed
interesting how the result of that is absolutely boring elevator music

Country started to become synthetic shit since the 80s and George Strait, though.

musk. not in the sense that he made it happen, but in that her association with him has secured her coverage til the end of time.

which is still electronic rooted. so OP really just lived under a rock in europe all this time and still thought posting this thread was a good idea.

Classic nymn answer

There will be a reaction against the trends that got set in motion in the Obama years, in fact rock is starting to come back to the charts by now. Happened once before in the 80s when everything was slick synth sounds and got btfo by grunge and whatnot.

I think people underestimate LA's influence, most of the big acts of rock's golden age weren't from LA but it was where the big studios and labels were, the biggest promoters and producers, etc., and it was the number one place to move as a band if you wanted to get noticed and make a record deal. This was particularly obvious in the 50s Wrecking Crew era and the '80s hair/glam era but it was true to some degree through the whole period. LA was also the epicenter of the whole indie rock movement and personally I hate the shit but there are still tons of bands and clubs for them to perform at in LA, my younger brother is lead guitarist in a reasonably successful indie band and they manage to draw pretty decent crowds by modern standards.

my sister's been to a lot of local rock shows over the last decade. the working class white guy culture that rock was rooted in never went anywhere, but the stuff pushed in the mainstream is the music of plastic Silicon Valley techbros who drive a Tesla. That's what Imagine Dragons's audience is and living in an area of mostly lower middle class whites that music has never had any relevance to me, it's not what you "feel" at all.

The music industry didn't fully consolidate in LA until the 70s, it was more scattered and regional prior to that.

perhaps but the modern edm style audio production is here to stay. and that will completely coat whichever rock artist gets pushed into trying to chart on the top 100/200.

modern daws all are tailored for the edm production style, you kind of have to break it down to approach it in a more classical sort of way to recording/mixing. and no one bedroom rocker nowadays is going to spend his advance money on renting an overrated/overpriced analog studio that still will record everything into pro tools anyway.

i hate to say it but demarco and the likes were the last to basically do it in a simpler less glossy sort of way. if you want that 'reaction against the trends' you'll find it in your local scene or regional at the most. the mainstream is not going to change anytime soon.

It was still a huge part of it though, like I said just look at all the shit the Wrecking Crew played on and that makes up a huge chunk of the American rock industry in the early days.

This is some butthurt wannabe EDM producer. Yeah sorry. You suck, Skrillex sucked, ID sucked, Grimes sucked, and Chvrches sucked. Thankfully most of them peaked 8-9 years ago and are no longer relevant.

true but now its just influencers and the usual actor types that continue to move to LA in droves. music can be done anywhere now and you can sign, record, mix, and perform anywhere without having to set up base in LA.

the part where he dismissed analog recording is where I stopped reading.

lol is that how i come off as? my music is usually described as 80s inspired synthrock. i don't have any dogs in modern music fights or whatever. i'm just relating what i've observed over the last 15+ years i've been at this.

someone ought to link Thunder and ask him if he considers that a listenable song or even music at all

Because EDM is faggot shit. No one wants to listen to faggot techno beats. How about you pick up a guitar like a real man. Fucking fags.

you read pretty far then. i didn't 100% dismiss analog recording, but you should know in case you don't, 100% of the top 100 is recorded/mixed, at the most, 50% in an analog studio with the rest (and sometimes entirely depending on the artist) in the box.

why did you deliberately ignore the post above?

I wouldn't exactly say that, a lot of people come to LA looking to work in lower-key film/TV jobs or they've just been suckered by the Hollywood image of what LA is and move here to do whatever job they already have qualifications for. They are however pretty much all the exact same sorts of sheltered naive liberal types and they've driven pretty much everything else that isn't "ethnic" out of LA, including a ton of the good venues and most of the decent musicians since they can't afford to live here anymore, even the successful session guys - I know one guy in particular who's played in some pretty major bands, done tons of session work, is a signature artist for several gear companies and plays at their NAMM booths every year, etc. and even he can barely afford to live in a shitty apartment in a shitty part of the San Fernando Valley.

>why did you deliberately ignore the post above?
I didn't read any other posts. I came here to call OP a fag for listening to faggot technobeats. Anyone who else listens to fag technobeats is well a fag.

I was on a 50s binge lately and the thing I like about 50s music is on even the dumbest songs like Mr. Sandman there's always an actual band on there and people singing naturally without any autotune or ProTools editing.