Adventure Time first time watching

I'm not sure of how much interest this will be to anyone but I just started watching adventure time for the first time as someone who doesn't really watch cartoons and wanted to share my thoughts and have a discussion with people who have watched since it was airing.
So obviously I've heard of it and seen random clips throughout the years just by being on the internet, but I just now picked up a few blu-ray sets to check out what all the craze was about.
Not much to say on the surface, the style and animation are simple and nice with some bright colors, the intro and outro songs are very charming, I assume some of the staff made them up on the spot.
As with a lot of cartoons that I know I both like and don't like the episodic nature with no real plot, it's both nice to have random adventures but having little to no continuity between them is jarring, I'm guessing it's done mostly for kids who just want new and shiny each episode with no knowledge needed so any episode can be your first episode.
I'm currently near the end of season 2 and I think overall I like the first one much more, it felt a bit more focused, some of the one off episodes in s2 feel really out of left field, especially the endings.
The endings are extremely weird, half the time I'm left dumbfounded as to what the hell happened at the end, the tree trunks episode is a great example of that.
I'm amazed that this wasn't a late night show, the way they slice and dice monsters, talk about death and killing and use words like "sexy" is honestly crazy, I'm not sure there are other cartoons that could do that.
The Bubblegum/Finn relationship is very strange, it seems like they show that they both have some interest in each other but I think she's much older than him? Same with Marceline. But it looks more from Finn's side and like one of those unattainable kind of crushes they do in fiction, where you know it will never happen on screen but they keep pushing it.
1/2

Attached: s2e21ss.png (1920x1080, 1.22M)

2/2
A lot of the lessons in the episodes seem bizarre too, whenever I expect it to be about one thing it turns it into something completely different, maybe the abrupt endings are to blame, but even without them the show has a lot of bizarre, like that bird that got turned inside out one time.
I heard this show has a serious side but I'm guessing much later. I wonder if they will explore some things I've questioned thus far, like the whole deal with the land of Ooo and humans (a lot of the things seem like potential set up for lore/almost creepypasta like stories a-la it's the world after nuclear war hook or something), maybe the romantic side. I feel like that can ruin things though, it would permanently change the story from light-hearted adventures in weirdness into something entirely different, but there's potential for both.
I think this show is really special for many and I can see why already, it definitely stands out as something strange and unique.
Also as a random side note I just noticed that Finn's sword changed from a golden broken one into a pink one with a tree-like handle and I can't tell if it's random or I missed an episode or something.

If you're looking for more plot stuff it's coming up quick in season 3/4. I personally think season 2 is the best season.

So soon huh.
>I personally think season 2 is the best season.
Why?
I don't dislike it so far but like I said some of the one off episodes just fell kind of flat for me, the train murder one, the one about finn finding humans (fish) underground etc.
It had good ones too and maybe the last 5 I have left are great but so far it feels like a more diluted s1.

>picked up a few blu ray sets
Imagine being this pleb

It's cheap and I was afraid I'd find a censored version online or something.

Hang out there

It gets super bogged down in lore, shipping bullshit, and muh female empowerment down the road.

Watch it for the solid first 3 seasons, then watch as the show peaks with the Christmas episodes and i remember you before being dragged down by the shadow of these episodes, trying to capture what made them work in every episode instead of just being fun with occasional dark episodes.

Also

Yeah I can live with that.
Really interested in what the plot could be about.
Kind of surprising the show went on for so long if it peaked so early.
I also heard the ending was great, so there was at least something, eh?

It's just a Yea Forums meme that it peaked that early. Season 2-7 are almost all top quality, good to great level episodes, and only the last season was more misses than hits.

This. I fucking hate when Yea Forums‘s hive mind bashes the majority of AT when only the last season sucked as a whole. And even then, Season 9 still had a few gems amid its garbage attempts at lore.

Attached: 76F0FD12-6162-442E-9BC3-5C6C44578E6E.jpg (1280x720, 434K)

Have you not seen season 6 7 8 and 9? They're almost as bad as 10. 9 i'd argue is worse than 10, being the season of elements, and fionna and cake and fionna. the only 10 episode that even gets close to as bad as these is really gumbaldia. And at least gumbaldia had the decency to be preceded by Blenanas, an actual decent episode, while 9 had fucking none.

Like there are a few decent episodes in 6 and 7, but even the best ones don;t compare to 1-3

I think the show had its ups and downs regarding some things like the adherence to the status quo and some of the relationship drama, but yeah, I think it was a fun ride overall, and it paved the way for a lot of shows that wanted to be more than just another slapstick gag of the week style series.

Attached: Big D.gif (600x338, 493K)

>it paved the way for a lot of shows that wanted to be more than just another slapstick gag of the week style series.
This is a bad thing. This is exactly what ruined SU, WOY, and SVTFoE. AT was fuvking perfect and they changed it into some shitty lore shit

>10
Gonna have to stop you right there, senpai. Adventure Time never had a tenth season. CN just divided Season 8 into two seasons—“8 and 9”—to try and make the full series feel whole with a more “complete” number of seasons. The show only had NINE seasons before getting cancelled. That’s how the AT Crew wrote it, and they intended the series run to be viewed as such. Don’t fall for the CN execs’ bullshit.

Attached: 3B327C26-8E50-493F-A6D6-E96EE125DC96.jpg (751x785, 107K)

>*This is exactly what ruined SvtFoE
FTFY. One of SU’s greatest strengths is its lore and god-tier worldbuilding/continuity. Wander Over Yonder S2 was a great mix of lore AND slapstick comedy. McCracken and his team were near perfect at balancing this, and I would’ve loved to see what they had planned for a third and final season.

Only Star vs suffered from forced lore because it tried to follow in AT’s footsteps: making up lore out of thin air and magically having it all connect and make sense. The AT Crew miraculously made it work for most of its run, but Daron Nefcy and her team were utterly incompetent. The show would’ve been fine just remaining a silly magical teen comedy with minor continuity.

Attached: 06168DF2-FE50-42A2-897B-2354DF79000D.png (420x237, 119K)

I thought the actual lore in Star vs. was fine.

It was just a mess in trying to wrap everything up while balancing it with all the constant love triangle drama.

Judging by the ratings season 5 was the last good season with ratings of 2-3 million per episode.

Seasons 6 had average ratings of 1.5-2 million.

Seasons 7-8 had average ratings of 1 million.

Seasons 9-10 had average ratings of 0.5-0.7 million.

They really screwed up in 2014-2018.

Attached: adventure time finn jake zelda.jpg (1032x774, 208K)

It's the funniest of all of them. I'll tie it with season 3 because both had the funniest episodes imo. The plot stuff can get kind of up it's own ass at times and I feel the real essence of the show is lost in taking the focus away from Finn and Jakes adventures.

>made it work
>with all the shit with PB, FP somehow maturing at breakneck speeds and Marceline turning into the feelz handbag, not to mention how horrible Martin, Betty and Orgalorg among others were handled
No.

>The Bubblegum/Finn relationship is very strange
If they like each other there’s no reason why PB can’t wait until Finn gets older to snatch him up to answer that paragraph.

Yea Forums will forever deny it, but Adventure Time's comedy hasn't aged very well. It's still worth watching, though. I'm wondering what you'll think of the later seasons.

>my subjective opinion overrules all

Its not worth watching.

But your opinion of being as amazing as you remember it isn't? AT will be remembered, but there's no way we'll look back at it as one of the greats. Hell, we don't even do that nowadays.

Yes, it is. At least the first four or so seasons. After that, I’d tell anyone to just keep watching until they no longer enjoy it.

There’s a lot of good that came out of AT, even some of the romance drama included.

Attached: EB550574-5D75-428C-8E2C-CED97C2564B0.jpg (1233x689, 68K)

I think people know deep down it isnt that amazing, but because Adventure Time is so expansive, so versatile in a multitude of plots, ideas, and timelines, it fuels the imagination much better than other shows. I would argue it has set up the viewer to very easily and manageably create their own interpretations and scenarios in the land of Ooo, something other shows have a hard time doing. This is why you see people always coming back to Adventure Time, you can find yourself dreaming of adventures and laughs, struggle and epic stories. Its a place to escape and enjoy, and its why Adventure Time wont just be forgotten.

Attached: adventure time sadder gayer.jpg (600x1024, 82K)

Didn’t get gayer if you cut it off before the cringe starts image shitposteranon

the problem is they didn't balance lore with "quest of the week" eps and the lore didn't go anywhere

I actually liked Finn's dynamic with both FP and Huntress Wizard.

I was just bummed that there wasn't much of a happy ending with either of them.

Attached: Playing with Fire.png (388x394, 229K)