Take that, Disney!

>Genndy Tartakovsky’s new adult series, Primal, is receiving a limited seven-day run at the Downtown Independent LA (251 S. Main St.) from September 20-26th.

>The theatrical release will come ahead of its Adult Swim debut on October 7. It’s not clear whether the entire series is being shown or if a theatrical cut of certain episodes has been made.

>Could the theatrical version of Primal make an Oscar run?

>It’s a real possibility, though it’s not clear if Adult Swim, a subsidiary or Warnermedia, will run the feature version of Primal for the Academy Awards. However, the format of this theatrical run — public exhibition in Los Angeles County for at least seven consecutive days, with at least three daily screenings — meets the qualification requirements for the Oscars. Adult Swim previously submitted Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters for the Academy Awards.

cartoonbrew.com/feature-film/genndy-tartakovskys-primal-is-getting-a-theatrical-run-in-los-angeles-179442.html

Attached: BFC110E8-3095-483D-9832-247529C9B75E.jpg (750x780, 406K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=i4tNuM9XttM
youtube.com/watch?v=rDCt7Wi04SI
youtube.com/watch?v=x6zFGio6kRg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What an absolute unit

Based.

It won't win but it'd be absolutely wild if it was even nominated for an Oscar.

Fucking IMAGINE.

The Good Dinosaur with balls.

I don't want to drive to Fucking LA
Show it in Orange County somewhere

>Adult Swim previously submitted Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters for the Academy Awards.
This is very funny

CN also submitted the Regular Show movie to the Oscars.

Bad Dino, bad!

Anyone have a gif of the clip of the caveman punching an ape into mush?

That is also very funny

RRRRAAAAGGHHH, WHY CAN’T IT HAVE A NATIONWIDE LIMITED-TIME RELEASE?

Attached: 7164DF0C-C0D7-4CCD-B529-BAFB0041B689.png (250x250, 94K)

Ask William Street

*Williams Street

Attached: DA8E1344-B127-4906-8B26-94671E5C6457.png (300x223, 23K)

Imagine if it had won Best Animated Feature.

>beating Kinotouille
kek

How does the madman keep doing it? WB really fucked up by letting him be signed on theatrically to Sony.

Is Genndy still making those two R-rated animated films over there?

Attached: 9589D57D-B35E-4022-8945-FEFA166DCEC4.jpg (2500x405, 496K)

Yeah, pretty sure they wrote him a blank cheque after he literally helped save their entire studio with the Hotel Transylvania franchise. Still no Popeye though

This. Why not do a fathom events for it one night only deal or even put it in multiple major cities. Just LA is bullshit.

This. I would GLADLY pay to see caveman Kino on the silver screen

Attached: C62DDB84-DD32-4E03-9136-DE5612639744.jpg (1576x671, 552K)

Reminder that they chose to make a movie about fucking emotion balls instead of letting Genndy finish the Popeye movie: youtube.com/watch?v=i4tNuM9XttM

And THEN they went and threw salt in the wound by making kiddied-down cheap Popeye shorts: youtube.com/watch?v=rDCt7Wi04SI

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 82K)

>Genndy Tartakovsky: Basically, we did a screening, and it was great. Internally, everyone was super happy with it. I think it was also exactly what King Features wanted. We had a great reaction.

>But this was also during the culmination of the Sony hack, and I could feel that something was going to happen soon. So after the screening, I didn’t get an answer from them, which was weird because everybody was so positive. Usually, we meet and talk, and get notes. But they had a meeting on their own, and that was it. I just got a phone call afterward telling me how great it was, which always makes me suspicious. If they just call to tell you it’s great, there’s something going on, because they didn’t offer any notes. Later on, I personally went to see Amy Pascal, and said, “Look, I’m a big boy. I can take it. I just need some information.” And she said, “Look Genndy, we love you, but we just don’t like Popeye.”

Popeye is literally his dream work since his first animation teacher was a 90 year old Gordon Sheehan who worked on the original Fleischer Popeye shorts. It's his destiny to make the movie and Sony robbed him of it to make the fucking Emoji movie.

>Look Genndy, we love you, but we just don’t like Popeye
Must be nice being paid to be a goddamn moron.

A theatrical run for... a twenty-three minute episode?

>Los Anngeles
so they're going to complain that it's problematic and try to shit this down
I know your game Disney

Sony was involved with this shit?

Attached: 35F8D025-A95E-43FA-A86E-0C21535EA7DF.jpg (1280x640, 109K)

>It’s not clear whether the entire series is being shown or if a theatrical cut of certain episodes has been made.
The full miniseries is 10 11-minute episodes (basically a 110-minute movie). Those exclusive LA screenings will either be the whole show or at least a hefty excerpt.

Over the Garden Wall could also be interpreted as a feature film.

Attached: 1DB5A9A9-D014-4A08-A6AD-37246E183EFD.jpg (1200x600, 215K)

God, imagine if it actually does get nominated for Best Animated Feature. It would blow the minds of the Academy, think of all the old farts who think animation is just for kids.

Just checked, the theater's an hour away from me. Should I go?

Attached: IMG_20190910_123636.jpg (2047x1326, 467K)

Of course user

Think of all the old farts who think 2D feature animation is a lost cause. Hopefully, Klaus will be able to set them straight.

Attached: D42B0C32-0D84-46C6-94A7-1D71E120332F.jpg (1296x730, 94K)

Anomalisa was the first R-rated film to be nominated for Best Animated Feature.

What's the status on this?

I could only be happier if I was in LA without other commitments.

Attached: 1435542060718.gif (194x293, 2M)

I thought Klaus was dead as fuck.

so it's actually a mini series? Huh, okay.

I call Primal "Ooga Booga Overload"

Haha

Netflix revised it and there's a legitimate chance that they are trying bid for a nomination in for an academy. If this is the case then I hope it signals the shift of more 2d animated film being made.

Attached: beautifulday.jpg (600x614, 71K)

Amy Pascal needs to be fucking destroyed. Ground down to atoms.

Okay unless i'm wrong, isn't Popeye in public domain? So theoretically s studio other than Sony can make a Popeye film with Genddy attached to it?

Remember to expect disappointment.

Hopefully he'll one day have the clout to just do whatever he wants at sony (he still works there right?)

>tfw I live right down the street

Attached: IMG_20190912_144304.jpg (427x407, 17K)

> adult swim theatrical release, OP brings up disney

Absolute rent free idiot

>Take that, Disney!
Take what?

You two do know that disney are notoriously the oscar winners, right? The implication is clearly that gennedy's cartoon is so good he's going to beat disney and win the oscar

Oh I know, but those two didn't seem to get the joke.

I personally doubt it'll be "oscar bait" even if it's good.

>I personally doubt it'll be "oscar bait"
How come?

Odds that Primal gets a blu-ray release? Adult Swim are usually pretty good about that right? Especially if it's as good as they're hyping it up to be.

I'm honestly willing to get excited about this. Primal is not burdened by Genndy's longstanding dream of animating his childhood waifu, which Samurai Jack was. I'm gonna give him a mulligan on Samurai Jack Season Five.

That’s nice and all but
Just GIMME THE DINO PUSSY

Since Genndy works at Sony, they could help him win, especially after getting the Oscar for Spider-Verse.

DING

No feathers no Oscar

I want sexy cave girl tits!

Attached: jesus owl.jpg (275x226, 34K)

Cave woman will be just as rectangular and sticky as grug there

based and dinopilled

stay mad flyover fags
nah but seriously it seems dumb not to do a wider fathom-ish release. drum up a bit more groundswell, earn a few more bucks. i mean knowing the lazy piece of shit that i am, i'm either gonna see it in that theater, or i'm just gonna stream it illegally. and i imagine others are similarly inclined.

Attached: YNfuDXo.jpg (960x720, 95K)

I doubt there will be only one lady in the whole thing.
Genndy's got a history of diverse, compelling females.
Something for every taste.

ABSOLUTELY BASED

>Genndy Tartakovsky
well, he's already got a couple of emmies, so not that huge of a stretch.

Pretentious like always. Haven't you guys learned anything from Samurai Jack?

>Watching anything made by Genndy after the spit in the face that was Samurai Jack's ending

Yeah Yea Forums deserves every shit it gets

Disney's ambition is endless. They will gut him in their sleep and all under Heaven will praise Disney for it.

>>Could the theatrical version of Primal make an Oscar run?

Not unless it's a feature, no.

They don't watch those nominations user, they just pick what's popular

Popeye is public domain in most of the world. It's idiotic they got as far as they did in making a movie at this stage.

In order to be considered for Oscar nominations (which are made by Academy members based on what they've seen, not on what a studio "submits" - studios only have to submit an official credits form to be included, which is a union requirement more than anything else), movies - not tv shows, which aren't eligible - have to play for at least 7 days of their first year of release within LA County. Multi-part and limited series *documentaries* are ineligible as of last year, so releasing what is clearly a multi-part animation is pushing the spirit of the rules, but whatever.

Features must be at least 40 minutes long to qualify except for short-form works. Again, nobody's going to be fooled that this is a movie unless they show all 110 minutes.

It won't be exclusive screenings - that's against the rules. To qualify it must be open to walk-ins. Contrary to popular belief, it's also against the rules to buy up all the tickets (which is expensive and pointless anyway) so that people can't just walk in. Being in the middle of LA County, being a cartoon and being shown in a shitty theater in the middle of some parking garages will be enough to keep people away.

Members of the Academy *do the nominating*. It's a members' institution award.

Klaus is getting a November Netflix release. If it doesn't also release in LA County this year, it will be ineligible in any year.

Yeah, and that means it either plays as a disjointed 110-minute movie, cuts out a lot of recap scenes, or plays as a terrible miniseries which just starts episodes randomly within scenes. Not a good look.

Disney are the only major animation studio, which is why they tend to win Best Animated. Because nobody much else is making them.

>being shown in a shitty theater in the middle of some parking garages will be enough to keep people away.
hey i like the downtown independent though, it's an okay space.

Honestly it speaks volumes that a barely over 1 minute preview for a film that never released has over 16 million fucking views. Sony would have made BANK with that movie.

Downtown Independent is a great historic theater, I try to go every time they do anything for free in those but it's not that great a space for movies (and it's a theater that somewhat fairly projects). If they had done it at the new Alama drafthouse in downtown LA it would be a bigger deal.

Sadly Fathom charges a chunk for those plus the theaters get a cut.

It would be nice if they did more of it but without knowing there is demand, there's no reason for the distributors to do it.

DING...

It’s not fair, Yea Forums.

Attached: 03E7EF22-1775-47B2-8B43-20DAE873BF9E.png (240x240, 32K)

I consider Genndy to be a hack after that shit of a last season of Samurai Jack.
I have no hopes for this.

Okay, Retard.

Is that news worthy?
I mean I've seen plenty of shows get premiere screenings in theater.
Hell my local theater did one for season premieres of Venture Bros, Doctor Who, and even Game of Thrones.

youtube.com/watch?v=x6zFGio6kRg

The Oscars are getting tired of Disney.

Attached: 4489C74F-5F6D-4091-9E1F-09B8A80EEE1E.jpg (1334x1180, 359K)

well I like you but we both know that's not enough to bring the crowds in

>it almost felt like live-action
Yikes... I’m sure the voter meant well, but is this really what makes an animated film “good”? Can’t an animated film just look creative or—dare I say—ANIMATED and still be a damn good film? I can tell that guy subconsciously only views live-action as “true cinema.”

Attached: D3CF2629-58C5-4A57-BFFB-0877BDB30F2C.gif (398x498, 2.02M)

Maybe he/she meant “live-action” in terms of story. Most American animated movies are either about fairy tales or animals/things behaving like people.