I wish Laura Powers appeared more on the show after her initial appearance...

I wish Laura Powers appeared more on the show after her initial appearance. New Kid on the Block is one of my all time favorite Simpsons episodes, and it kind of sucks how they discarded this character after one appearance, especially because she's still canonically Bart's neighbor (as far as I know, then again there's a lot of zombie Simpsons I haven't seen).

What are some other Simpsons characters that deserved more screen time?

Attached: New_Kid_on_the_Block_36.JPG.jpg (576x432, 130K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kz_vh50XrHg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Should've been Bart's future wife.
1. None of the future episodes matters. None of it.
2. Bart has always been good with older ladies then girls his age.
3. Could've beat Phineas and Ferb with the joke

Attached: 090.png (1173x747, 499K)

I find it a bit odd they'd bring Ruth back 2x but not Laura.

farmer #1 and farmer #2

Bringing back grunge would probably point out how shit Lisa Tumblr feminism is.

>Should've been Bart's future wife.
Yep.

Only cucks marry women older than themselves anyway.

you know if they brought her back they'd make Lisa have a crush on her, right?

Why are Lisa's love interests so boring and forgettable unlike Bart's?

The nineties had a thing for boy protagonist having an episode with this specific type of young woman.

Attached: Debbie_by_darkvigilante-d51y8gg.png (400x935, 302K)

The joke is they never come back

Virgin animators made waifus of grunge girls they knew in college.

Laura was based on someone's daughter in all likelihood.

Animators don't design characters. Character Designers don't write their personalities. This was just the in-thing for men back then. Girls who didn't belong to any clique.

Jessica Lovejoy could have been used more.

Jesus fucking Christ!
I really don't know what the plan for her was. She just fucks up Bart's life, and leaves the show.

If she stuck around and had a back and forth with Bart, that could've been something.

Both Jessica and Laura are great girl characters that played off Bart so well. Instead now we get Cletu's inbred daughter and fucking Shawna.

Shauna is the worst character ever.

>Cletu's inbred daughter
I'm so glad I don't watch Zombie Simpsons.

FUCK. YOU. ZOOEY. DESCHANEL.

go to bed Cordless

thats the problem with celebrity quest stars, they either suck ass and ruin the ep or they're good and they never return

They should just do like on Bob's Burgers and get comedians who are friends of the writers to voice Bart girfriends that they can get back whenever they want instead of Hollywood actresses.

I can't even remember what season that was, saw it randomly on tv.
Just awful. Cletus tries to get Bart to marry his TEN YEAR OLD daughter.

Something that Really Really pisses me off about early season Bart to the current season is the way he's written.

Early season Bart comes off as a coming of age story. Where Bart being a trouble maker comes from him navigating the world and his place in it.

Currently Bart feels like a mental regression where he cares way more about pranks and fooling around. Even when he learns a lesson is different, now it's like hitting a dog so they don't pee in the house. Where it's less about teaching and more about punishment.

>What are some other Simpsons characters that deserved more screen time?
I thought every scene with Karl was gold.

youtube.com/watch?v=kz_vh50XrHg

Attached: Karl_screen-shot-2015-11-14-at-11-10-36-am.png (896x670, 357K)

Early season Bart was Matt's insert. Late season Bart is all of his most recognisable traits boiled down and then blown up for marketability.

I also hate how they changed Bart from being averagely intelligent to straight up retarded, even making it canon that all male Simpsons are retarded.
I feel like the Sideshow Bob episodes were perfect for showing off Bart's creativity and sparks of intelligence, and now he's just the routine punching bag.

Even as a kid i felt he was gay
But he was one of my favorite characters

did they bring back either of the VAs?

what story could they possibly tell that isn't a retread?

and no, there were some hipsters who moved in years ago and haven't been seen since either

that mansion over the street that GHWB lived in isn't there any more either

the prison and the school are both on the same hill behind the kitchen window, and I think the Kwik-E-Mart and the Krustyburger might be as well

>Just awful. Cletus tries to get Bart to marry his TEN YEAR OLD daughter.
Bart is also 10. If he were 25, we'd have a problem.

It's easier and lazier to write Bart as a spastic animal.

Bart shouldn't of given her an engagement cow.

Wait, why is Mary a writer in NYC for Saturday Night Live? She's like 10?

Don't forget about Sneed. An episode about how Chuck's Fuck and Suck became Sneed's Feed and Seed (formerly Chuck's) would be pretty kino.

>Early season Bart comes off as a coming of age story. Where Bart being a trouble maker comes from him navigating the world and his place in it.
Lisa as well, although maybe a little less so since the (male) writers understood Bart's travails better.

but Springfield isn't in Tennessee

They do it because it looks prestigious to have Meryl Streep's name on the credits.

Attached: Bart girlfriends.jpg (1254x1262, 228K)

Shauna is the absolute worst of all.

I don't think they needed to focus specific episodes around her, but she could have been brought back if an episode called for a joke about the neighbors, teenagers, or babysitting.

The show has plenty of characters that only got one episode about them (Otto) but pop up all the time.

Or like the other user said, bringing her back for a future episode is ideal.

Because you wanna fuck Bart's girls

He would have eventually driven her away like the rest. His desire to protect/monopolize her would have become smothering and it would have been inevitable that she would find someone her age or older worth a damn to date. That said, a one off episode about this probably would have been good back in the day. I doubt they could pull it off now though.

Literally every female character based off of an IRL woman is based off of someone's daughter retard. Bitches and hoes don't just spring from the ground fully formed.

Nelson is boring and forgettable?

I think because the writers are male, they write Bart's love interests more compellingly than Lisa's since they're probably based on women they've known/been with in many cases.

bad post

watch gravity falls, wendy is obviously based on her

This, men marrying older women are far more common. Especially if those boys were more mature for their age.

>irl = your MILF fap fantasies

>Karl was slated to re-appear as one of Homer's two gay roommates in "Three Gays of the Condo", but Fierstein declined to reprise the role.

It's a shame, really.

What was his reason? I can imagine he might have felt it wouldn't add to his character.

I kind of wish that they had done more with Homer's brother.

He said the episode was just lame gay stereotypes and said nothing of substance.

Herb was supposed to only be in one episode, but the writers decided they didn't like how OBWAT ended, so they did a second episode to give Herb's story a more satisfactory conclusion.

I wish they didn't bring Lurleen back and we had to hear Beverly D'Angelo's dying throat cancer patient voice.

i can't believe they brought back krusty's daughter (who has a different voice actor) before any one of bart's love interests

i don't remember the middle girl in ok tier
what was that episode again

She didn't have a speaking part though (?)

Jenny, The Good, The Sad, and the Drugly. Voiced by Anne Hathaway who failed pretty bad at sounding like a 10 year old.

There's no R34 of her that I know of.

Very bland personality and her character design isn't particularly easy or fun to draw.

Attached: Simpsons_20_16_P2_640x360_338449987927.jpg (640x360, 109K)

That's a whole lot of bland

It also bugs me that they couldn't seem to get her design consistent from scene to scene.

Attached: 11135093595_8fa0802580_b.jpg (1545x717, 388K)

Whereas if you were to compare, Laura looks a lot more consistent. Her outfit and facial shape/hair doesn't change every other scene.

Attached: img89.jpg (1547x741, 371K)

Yeesh, even Doris Grau sounded less decrepit and aged than her.

>Could've beat Phineas and Ferb with the joke
Explain.

>He said the episode was just lame gay stereotypes and said nothing of substance.
To be fair, he wasn't wrong. The only good things in that episode were Weird Al and "C'mon, take your medicine!"

She's appeared at least twice within the last couple years and had lines and stuff

I'm sure she was just voiced by Nancy Cartwright or something and they didn't get Drew Barrymore back.

Ferb and Doff's daughter are dating. She's like 5 years older than him.

>he shocked that Season 4 had better quality control than Zombie Simpsons

I like that there are characters who show up once and are gone. Springfield already has a pretty full group of regular characters. Any time they try to make a minor character into a regular they just beat whatever might have been funny or interesting out of them.

Bart too young for a teenage girl, by the time he's an adult the age difference isn't that big of a difference so the hook up.

Ferb from Phineas and Ferb made some playful passes at doofenshmirtz daughter vanessa who is around their older sister age. Vanessa also seems kinda interested.

Attached: Vanessa_And_Ferb_Duet.jpg (1280x720, 124K)

The finale had a time skip, and we find out they're dating.

Attached: 5691f429469f12e7e46f67ef6b3982f9.png (1280x720, 534K)

prove it

But seriously, why bring back Krusty's daughter of all things? I can think of five or six one off characters I'd have rather brought back than her.

They wanted a gamer girl. Also she was introduced in zombie Simpsons

Attached: D1tVfkNVAAEVSZ8.0.jpg (1200x800, 158K)

She's never been popular with fanartists anyway.

GIMME MY BLINTZES

of all characters
i guess since they brought her back once they thought it wouldn't be THAT weird
if anything i would have gone with one of lisa's rivals

Honestly fuck Simpsons. Sherri and Terri never did anything of importance. The skip rope and in the later season texted on their phones.

Attached: 0513b9355ef04a3f9f264c69695e832e.jpg (1275x1650, 348K)

simpsons fanart is shit anyway

Honestly I'd have brought Jessica Lovejoy back instead but then a lot of Simpsons fans probably would.

>New Sneed on the Chuck is one of my all time favorite Simpsons episodes

And now Russi is kill. ;_;

Most fanart from any show is shit because it's not drawn by trained artists.

I wish they had done more with Allison Taylor. She's still in the background, and I think she's had a couple of lines (not by Winona Ryder, obviously), but Lisa having an intellectual equal at Springfield Elementary could have been an interesting dynamic.

And this is the problem with getting a guest star as the new kid in town. Like Lard of the Dance. It ends with Lisa teaching Alex she doesn't have to grow up so fast, they're friends, but we're never going to hear her again because she's Lisa Kudrow.

Yes Allison definitely had a lot of potential as a character. That was one of the many squandered opportunities they had.

>1st and 2nd born twin magazine
I admit I kek'd a bit

Attached: LOLsinestro.jpg (1262x735, 408K)

>Yes Allison definitely had a lot of potential as a character. That was one of the many squandered opportunities they had.
Man, on the DVD commentary Yeardley Smith said something about Allison wasn't really a character but a plot device.

Yeah who cares? Yeardley is an idiot.

Attached: 11924378.jpg (500x663, 105K)

Lisa Kudrow sucks anyway.

Most likely they were digging through old character model sheets and decided hey let's reuse Krusty's daughter.

Greta was cute but I couldn't see any real reason to use her again.

You could do some fun things with her, for example have her bounce off of Lisa/be Lisa's recurring bully because of how Lisa blew the lid on her stealing the church collection money.

isn't she like 50 now or something?

>he shocked that people get older with time

Paheal has about 2-3 pics of Krusty's daughter IIRC.

How would Bart be as a boyfriend (in general)?

Better than that Jenda bullshit anyway.

Disco stu

They got nothing of Jenny.

Ruth was voiced by a regular, Laura was a guest VA and recasting is verboten despite the time Allison? was revoiced for an episode to give Lisa a posse to turn back on her.
My Headfanon is that Laura's Dad got custody while Ruth remained a fuck up in Springfield.

>Ruth was voiced by a regular
Pamela Reed was a regular cast member?

>and recasting is verboten despite the time Allison? was revoiced for an episode to give Lisa a posse to turn back on her

1. Allison got a speaking part in LOTD because the writers for some reason wanted to ram it down the viewer's throat that the episode was a retread of Lisa's Rival.
2. Recasting is only a no-no if the voice actor dies, otherwise they can recast them any time they want.

Are you sure she wasn't talking about Lisa?
>Lisa is not a character, she's just the reason I get a big fat check every episode and drag down the series as a whole

Lisa isn't a character, that's true, she is merely a vessel for the writer to express his beliefs with.

forgot about that

I wouldn't really call it a retread. There are obvious similarities, but thematically there's a big difference. Lisa's Rival deals with Lisa's insecurity about an intellectual equal, whereas Lard of the Dance is about the other girl being more popular and grown-up.

Ruth was such a good character. It would have been great for Marge to have an actual friend instead of how they just kinda occasionally throw her in together with the other women for no other reason than that they're all women.

>what story could they possibly tell that isn't a retread?
The show had a huge handicap in that it really didn't have many teenagers/young adults. And most of the ones they do have go to Springfield Elementary. There's plenty they could have done with Laura.

Attached: ruth powers and marge run from the police.png (539x409, 285K)

The second and third episodes of that saga really annoys me. It felt like the writers were shoehorning their failed 500 Days of Summer ripoff screenplays with adult characters into The Simpsons.

For that New York episode the whole plot is Bart having a crisis because as a 10 year old, none of his relationships have worked out so he's afraid no one will ever love him. They retcon one or two of his previous relationships to make the girls hate him, and then they retcon his relationship with Mary to make it romantic even though the two were never actually in a romantic relationship. It was just a sham marriage to keep a cow from being killed.

Then they age up Mary's design to make her look way older and now she's a more modern Simpsons design that clashes with classic Simpsons design. Her being an SNL writer in NYC isn't funny or anything, it's just bullshit.

And the next episode is more adult relationship drama. All revolving around Bart being a bad boyfriend because holy shit, a 10 year old boy would rather play video games than act like a responsible adult romantic partner. How riveting!

Attached: MV5BMjEzOTk0OTI3NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODI2NjM0OA@@._V1_.jpg (653x367, 150K)

Karl made me gay. To this day I can only be gay with gays who say today that the way he spoke was gay with how I may stay gay or not be gay at all.

Same for Janie. I'm not one of those waifu fucks but Lisa should have had a consistent best friend who were fleshed out as much as Milhouse.

Wasn't she just lying about being an SNL writer?

No

Honestly, I kinda dug it, bringing back the character and continuing the thread. They don't do that a lot so it felt special. The Breakfast at Tiffany's thing was also interesting.

So is right. They don't have teenage characters but it's not gonna stop them from doing teenage romance stories anyway.

I don't for the life of me understand how this can happen. Why does nobody grab them by the chin and say "Yo, they're 4th graders." That would be the first thing I'd do if I was in the writing room and saw a script like that.

I don't get why you're assuming Zombie Simpsons writers care about anything but an easy, lazy paycheck.

Nikki has a surprisingly high amount of fanart.

Attached: Simpsons_21_15_P5_640x360_332217923923.jpg (640x360, 102K)

yikes thats an atrocious design

I actually like the design, it's a little bit of a throwback to the more cartoony Season 1 look instead of the overly realistic designs usually used in the HD episodes. Nikki is pretty easy and fun to draw which is likely why there's a bunch of fanart of her while Jenny and Cletus's daughter have like nothing.

I tried, I couldn't draw her that it didn't look awful. Way too many details to memorize. Not a good character design--one of the first things they teach you in animation school is keep it simple, stupid.

Attached: 6704.jpg (1280x720, 192K)

whos the girl second down on the right? dont remember her.

Gina

i guess i missed that episode, because i dont remember shit about her.

based.

They made a Family Guy reference in that episode