Is it even worth making a web comic in the 2020s?

Is it even worth making a web comic in the 2020s?

Attached: ED1087B0-995B-4FB3-8642-F6F0E946826B.jpg (500x596, 40K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/merryweatherey?lang=en
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The art is dying just like the people who made them and it's unfortunate.

Attached: nigel.jpg (567x425, 47K)

only if you have balls

Merryweathery is doing well twitter.com/merryweatherey?lang=en

Can you market yourself? Are you funny? Can you meme? Can you make comics that trend in social media? Can you make characters that people waifu/hasbando and shit like that?

Attached: patreon.png (468x234, 28K)

Also lackdaisy cats - 20k per month

One Punch Man, Homestuck and Hetalia are free webcomics that turned into huge franchises

So here's the heart of the matter:

If you want to use it explicitly as portfolio material while you crony up into the art industry? It's a necessity these days, especially for storyboarding work.

If you want to make it a career, its more competitive than ever but you're realistically only going to get an audience by pandering. This isn't limited to lgbt stuff, you HAVE to pander to an audience. Cumbrains, Fujoshis, Smashfags, you can't actually make something original and expect it to be real financial success. You have to branch off of a previous existing community and more than likely cowtow to the korean mobile overlords. Even if you're being a purist comicsgate person you still end up pandering to them in the end.

If you actually give a shit about comics as a medium, or have something genuinely artistic you want to express? It's a lost cause, because there are so many other mediums that objectively reach more eyes and are more effective forms of communication. Comics are unironically only effective as propaganda due to the short form comedy format that suits mobile device distribution.

I'm not gonna sugarcoat it, user, the odds are stacked against you from the start and its just... its just not good enough to be "good" and call it a day. You have to have a strong enough hook to make people give a shit, and sometimes that means controversy, or experimentation, things the webcomics scene desperately needs and nobody is willing to do. It's been corporatized into a scene that brain drains people into an industry that compels them to conform to trends.

>inb4 people point out exceptions that prove the rule, who all just barely subsist off their die hards but have no impact anywhere else

Attached: 1468699835472.jpg (800x533, 219K)

Yeah you pretty much just described the things that made me ponder this question. It seems like the only things that play anymore are sterile #relatable shit that is adaptable to meme "culture" by design and characters that are meant to be fap fodder from the get go, either that or shallow edgy smartassed political commentary.
It was a different scene when they started though
fug. It really is that bad, is it. Guess it's time to start drawing smut. I wish zines were still a thing. Sigh

>Can you market yourself?
>Can you make comics that trend in social media?
The other points are a little subjective, these two points are the ones that matter the MOST.
I'm completely fucked on these parts desu

Well, if you are asking here, you wouldn't make it anyway

Be a scientist
Take different pen names, make multiple 'anonymous' social media accounts. Try different approaches and stick with the one thats ends up being the most successful after a year.

If you haven't started now, then you should give up entirely

I don't care if you've just turned 18--you're only going to keep putting it off, scribbling away but never actually making it

100% of the people who say "should I make a webcomic" never make a webcomic--I've checked the stats, people who want to make webcomics actually make webcomics
people who want to be popular ask random strangers for permission to do something they say they want to do, but never do

just fuck off OP, you're never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever going to make a webcomic
so stop asking if it's worth it--if you have to ask, you're not worth it

Just make friends with an up and coming youtuber, twitch streamer or cosplayer in hopes theyll become big and advertise your work

Anyone who posts any iteration of pepe (that isn't from a panel of Boy's Club) or wojak deserves to be doxxed, hunted down, and murdered for being a blight to the collective intelligence of the entire human race.
Also they're breaking >>>/global/rules/10 and should be reported as much as possible and as soon as possible.

I'm not asking for anyone's permission to do anything, my question is more about what audiences are receptive to these days and that's a perfectly fair thing for a prospective creator to ask.

Announcing a report is a bannable offense, you know

t. projecting failed "how's your webcomic" poster absolutely SEETHING that no one cares about his fetish comic.

>posts a single OP image
>COOL IT WITH THE SPAM BRO

>Can you make comics that trend in social media?
not even western corporate comics can do that

What about those reddit comic posters like shitty watercolor or the Grafo guy?

Its damn sure more worthwhile than shitposting here.

You do it for the love of the comic

The field is incredibly crowded and difficult to be successful in.If you're passionate about it and want to do it as a hobby then go ahead, if you want to make money off it then you shouldn't bother, and probably wouldn't have been invested enough to stick with it anyway.

They don't all the time with shit like Hydra Cap and Batman's wedding.

They just don't get people to actually read the books.

Attached: 4760B8D6-CDD0-4B4C-8382-B6049F913E31.png (480x390, 159K)

Do the sane thing and get a real job to support yourself and make a web comic for your own personal artistic fulfillment.

I work a day job that covers my bills and mortgage, and spend my evenings relaxing by doodling strips for a web comic that I post on tumblr for 1 or 2 likes by bots.

i'm doing it anyway. part of me hopes we'll see a new generation of small-creator online media once again in the 2020s with things like satina, but i doubt it

Of course. I'd never advise banking on comics even if the scene weren't a creatively bankrupt circlejerk