Doctor Strange #19 Storytime

The penultimate issue of this run...
... And the beginning of the next. Get in here!

Attached: Doctor Strange 019-000.jpg (1192x1833, 549K)

Attached: Doctor Strange 019-001.jpg (1192x1833, 552K)

Attached: Doctor Strange 019-002.jpg (1192x1833, 532K)

Attached: Doctor Strange 019-003.jpg (1192x1833, 664K)

Attached: Doctor Strange 019-004.jpg (1192x1833, 588K)

Attached: Doctor Strange 019-005.jpg (1192x1833, 723K)

Attached: Doctor Strange 019-006.jpg (1192x1833, 540K)

Thanks OP

And now we see the seeds of "Surgeon Supreme"...

Attached: Doctor Strange 019-007.jpg (1192x1833, 562K)

Attached: Doctor Strange 019-008.jpg (1192x1833, 604K)

This is what, in my opinion, Saiz excels at: the creatures. Some Hellraiser/Evil Dead kinda shit going on here.

Attached: Doctor Strange 019-009.jpg (1192x1833, 620K)

Nothing's free, Strange... You know that better than anyone.

Attached: Doctor Strange 019-010.jpg (1192x1833, 634K)

Thanks Rodstvow, i was waiting for some Strange greatness

Attached: Doctor Strange 019-011.jpg (1192x1833, 594K)

Attached: Doctor Strange 019-012.jpg (1192x1833, 480K)

>hiding his dick
Cowards

You dun' goofed, Strange!

Attached: Doctor Strange 019-014.jpg (1192x1833, 521K)

Sike...!

Attached: Doctor Strange 019-015.jpg (1192x1833, 763K)

Attached: Doctor Strange 019-016.jpg (1192x1833, 633K)

I saw Idle Hands! I know how this ends!

This an IT: Chapter 2 crossover I wasn't expecting today.

Attached: Doctor Strange 019-017.jpg (1192x1833, 567K)

Trusty cape.

Attached: Doctor Strange 019-018.jpg (1192x1833, 692K)

:(

Attached: Doctor Strange 019-019.jpg (1192x1833, 582K)

Attached: Doctor Strange 019-020.jpg (1192x1833, 606K)

Give him Penance, Tonya.

Attached: Doctor Strange 019-021.jpg (1192x1833, 559K)

And there you have him, folks: Stephen Strange, Surgeon Supreme.

Attached: Doctor Strange 019-022.jpg (1192x1833, 468K)

That's it for this week! Next issue: Kanna will return for the end of this run, and now that we know where it's going, maybe it means Kanna will lend her assistance to the born again doctor.
Go support it!

Attached: Doctor Strange 019-023.jpg (1192x1833, 530K)

So how long till the status quo returns?

After waid’s run is over. I actually don’t see why he couldn’t keep it though

Thank you for the storytime. Great issue

2 issues?

>I gambled and I won

Oh Strange, never say that.

Yo, whatever happened to Topaz?

Oh ew

That's some of the most irresponsible shit I've ever seen.

Hopefully for as long as possible. I wonder if they're counting this run as part of Volume 4 Strange, which they shouldn't, since this is a whole different take. If the new ongoing does well (and let's hope it does), this should stick for at least two more years...
How long did hobo Strange last?

Reminder that Strange once directly caused shuma gorath to return because “muh innocents”

This is very tame compared to that

Pretty neat cover

Thanks Rodstvow!

This is honestly the sort of status quo change that could be solidified as permanent. Given the scale in which Dr Strange operates (no pun intended) his damaged hands are almost inmaterial. What difference would they make when fighting Dormammu or Shuma Gorath, as long as he retains the ability to cast spells? This change can only bring more storytelling possibilities and those positive status quo changes in the big 2 are rare and worth keeping.

An interesting angle could be seeing how having the cumulation of his arrogance as a surgeon corrected affects his personality, I wonder if that’s actually going to happen

Yawn

Oh yay Kanna, I really liked her

Is that smug fucker drinking while being banished

I love it

You could try possssing the lady and using her to operate, but yeah it didn’t work well the last time you tried it

A big part of surgery is operating on muscle memory

...muscle memory is not LITERAL.
Muscles might be better tuned for a type of movements, but the movements themselves are stored in the brain

I'm just going to guess possessing somebody causes a input lag too high for such an operation

I have never realized how much I want to see actual medical drama mixed with traditional Doctor Strange shenanigans until this issue.

I'm pumped for Waid's follow up.

Last time he tried directly doing it he froze up. The only way he saved himself was by guiding an already experienced surgeon

Attached: Doctor Strange (1974-1987) 080-016.jpg (1988x3056, 2.03M)

Thats it? No bargains?

>Thats it? No bargains?
PFFFFTTT HAHAHAH

Never mind. Of-course there is a catch.

I am happy strange is sacrificing this much not for something big like World end. Its for a Child.

Weighing lives is something he always really really sucked at

Book of Even Chance, man.
The risk is already its own price... also, getting exactly what you wish the way you wished it always comes back to bite your ass.
Too much of a good thing and all.

>Topaz
Now that’s a name I haven’t heard in a long time

Carefull, user. You are talking about the guy who sold his soul to demons thrice

>5 people or causing many demons to be released, eventually resulting in Shuma-Gorath?
>the 5 people of course!
>The return of vampires or some random lady?
>some random lady of course!
>wong or everyone with incurable diseases?
>wong it is!
Don’t ever trust this guy with making the best decisions

Is it only three times. I swear there was more.

Stephen, you absolute fool

I quite like this change, but if this status quo is kept after waid’s run I would eat my hat

So how is this going to bite him in the ass?

He gets into a car accident again

He is going to choose between sorcerer and surgeon.

But the next series is him doing magical surgery so he doesn’t need to choose this time

You dont know what will happen at the end of that series.

I’m just happy the next relaunch won’t start with yet another power loss but instead a power up

Good lord magic IRS must be fuming right now

They need to make a comeback.

Attached: Doctor Strange 010-009.jpg (1192x1833, 494K)

Attached: Doctor Strange 010-010.jpg (1192x1833, 528K)

Also, Invaders #9 storytime here:

Strange
Strange, teleport him to a hospital

>Only one, ONLY ONE, spell can POSSIBLY be of use to heal this child in a car accident
This bothers me. Strange can outright warp reality and I'm 90% sure he's quick healed other Avengers before, but he can't do surgery without this forbidden eldritch spell?

Damn Nemesis got fat

>Kanna returns
>As an enforcer for the magic IRS

It's dumb as fuck. The literal power of psychosomatic medicine in real life is more powerful than a lot of the healing magic in the Marvel universe. They all have to act like they're retarded and it can't be done, otherwise Doctor Strange's broken hands gimmick won't work anymore.

This feels dumb. I'm all for trying to save everyone but this feels like a lesson Strange should have learned better of decades ago.

These days Status Quo for Strange is he lost all his magic and has to go on a 6-8 issue long quest to see what happened to magic.

I suspect that will be the next major story arc again.

Jesus Christ I fucking hope not. They need to put a god damned end to this fucking bullshit.

Thank you for the story time, and I'm warming up to the new costume, but still don't like this story. This feels like a Strange story that we've seen a dozen or more times before.

Christ, this makes me miss Witch Doctor. That was such a good comic.

moar like sturgeon supreme

She'll chop off his hands, right?

praise Jesus

Can’t move him, teleportation is a bad choice

This issue is standard but what it’s setting up haven’t really be done before

He never learns when to let go and when not to. I like this about him desu

Yeah it’s always weird no one has ever tried healing him. The only explanation I can think of is that he never really needed to be healed before so he didn’t want to take the unnecessary risk that comes with reality warping etc. But then again this is the MU where a fucking bullet wound cannot be healed, so who knows

Not even mad if this actually happens

That works for Spider-Man, maybe even Iron Man, I don't think it works for Doctor Strange myself.

I think it’s more interesting for me when he does it because the consequences are far greater and him being unable to is a good flaw, but you can argue that’s why he should know better so I guess it just boils down to preference.

Doctor Strange has stated multiple times that healing magic basically isn't a thing. More or less. Which is FUCKING RETARDED.

>The only explanation I can think of is that he never really needed to be healed before
Did you forget his hands, literally the thing his entire comic revolves around?

Usually he does fine without them, but jesus so much of the medical ailments plaguing heroes in marvel or dc don’t make a lick of sense

Oracle is a good example before she got healed

We have? Huh

The really dumb part is I’m pretty sure only heroes have this problem, VILLAINS and side characters get all the regen and healing and empowerment they could ever want. Even the fucking Necrosword seemingly gave Gorr a good bit of regen, the Serpent (an allegedly Allfather level Asgardian) healed himself while feeding on Earth’s fear, and FUCKING Knull seemingly heals symbiotes by technicality when doing his assuming direct control shit.

We have literal proof daredevil can be healed and no one bothered after that

I said this before, Strange should just straight up try to ascend and become a god. Would solve a lot of his problems

Yeah, but writers are always inherently fucking lazy. Doesn't matter if it's comics, cartoons, tv, what have you. Any character that becomes a god MUST be returned to their everyday form because being a god is too hard for pea brains to write elegantly about.

Soon...

Attached: Devil's_hands.jpg (384x288, 22K)

Healing magic is almost nonexistant in Marvel for some reason. It only ever really happens for some big plot device and usually it's pretty stupid (like resurrecting Jane Foster, cause somehow that's ok but healing cancer is bad)

This. I’m glad he’s helming the relaunched series

More effective than the Penance Stare.

>not a single enchantment
bullshit
you can literally
- magic him into stasis until you bring him safely to a hospital or bring a doctor back
you
- magic the blood from his brain back into his body while putting a magic barrier around the ruptured vessel
- magic a portal into the boy's brain to be non-physical temporarily

There's literally a bajillion things he can do what a fucking bullshit forced situation this garbage is

It is forced, but he really hasn’t done any of that before in this context. One method I can see working that he HAS done before is shrinking himself so he can directly go in to the brain, but even then that is insanely risky. As far as events prompting status quo changes go, it isn’t that bad

Yeah it was bad.

There's no reason he can't whatsoever.

well see even you can imagine another way he could do it
it's like if you needed to wipe your ass, and instead of just getting a toilet paper right there and proceed to wiping, you chose instead to build a futuristic automated machine to do it for you but you also sold your soul to the devil for the blueprints

I get that many are upset because magic has been treated for a long time as "it just werks" kinda power, and are forgetting magic is a system in Marvel, with its own rules and complexities, and the reason why there's no "healing" magic is because you first need to know how and what to heal in first place, not just move your hands in a way and miraculously fix things. Treating magic as an "everything goes" solution absolutely lessens the stakes and neglects that quite often, fixing small things takes way more than fixing the biggest, because for the grander stuff all you need is a lot of energy, while the smallest require precision, that only a surgeon (in this case) could have.
Spells to heal bones, patch skin, simple tasks like these already exist. But stuff like removing the pressure out of a skull, removing a tumor or yes, curing cancer aren't easy or there can't be a spell because every human is different and the intricacies of the human body aren't gonna be laid out in a spell. For that you need charts, X-rays, guidebooks... They wouldn't exist if humans could cure everything with some sage and candles. Spells are procedures by themselves, not just the magic words on the screen, or else anyone would do it, and they wouldn't need large tomes to house them.
And yes, villains can regen and do all sort of bullshit feats that give them "healing" but you'll notice those who do that are pretty much inhumane, very detached from the conditions that allow them to empathize with a more grounded world, and as abominations as they are, their "healing" processes are vastly different. More than a simple plot contrivance, it's an existential approach a writer must conceive before even tackling such thing. That's my take on it and what I've seen in other media when fantasy and real life collide in this specific topic.

Eww! Ew ew ew! Those layers look cheap af, especially at the bottom.
Someone was slacking on that page.

Actually I’m mistaken, the time he did the shrinking thing was with hulk when he could afford to be much rougher, so that’s out. I think Brian K tried to explain it before too, but it always boils down to “he hasn’t exactly done it before, thus he can’t”

Literally my first thought was "Why doesn't he just teleport the blood out of his head?" We god damn well know he can do it. But somehow he can't figure out how conveniently. Last issue was cool, this issue makes me mad because fucking Marvel needs to get its magic metaphysics shit together.

>wong or everyone with incurable diseases?
>wong it is!
ugh, I liked The Oath (esp getting shot with a Hitler gun), but that was a bad ending.

There is plenty of healing bullshit in Marvel though. Starks nanotech could heal, Elixer had healing powers.

There is unironically explanation of this. His hand shit actually causes his spell to be less precise than they could be, and imagine if he teleports a bit of brain out

Yeah tech and mutant shit. Not magic apparently. Which doesn't even make any sense.

Maybe. Is there a source for that?

It’s perfectly in character as much as I’m annoyed at his choice

The one time he chose the many over the few he sold his soul to unspeakable demons, brutally murdered the justice league, and ended up destroying countless worlds for nothing since the multiverse died anyways

Flight of Bones iirc, and some older Strange issues I forgot. I think Waid’s run with Casey touched on it too which his spells being extremely unreliable when his hands were further crushed by Hulk

I'm kind of scared. All this "You'll pay for this Captain Strange!" bullshit we keep getting is giving me flashbacks. I'm afraid this series is going to have a meltdown and become vol 4.

I can't go back man. I can't.

Personally I really can’t see it returning to vol 4 unless the team changes? And EVEN IF he loses his magic again (which I really doubt, the payment will likely culminate with a showdown with the accountants’ boss and not another loss) his character won’t drastically change like last time because waid actually gets him unlike Aaron. Chill bro

The hand wringing about why he doesn’t fix it with his own magic is weird. Since when could he do extremely specific brain surgery with his magic or freeze someone in time?

>Since when could he do extremely specific brain surgery with his magic or freeze someone in time?
In fact... If he could do that, he wouldn't have left practice even with his newly found powers. That alone says he just can't do magic surgery, it's an irreplaceable skill.

I mean he did literally possess the time stone a few issues back, but I'm sure there's some alternate means. Marvel Magic's extremely specific limitations strikes again. He can go up against fucking Super Saiyan Galactus and recreate the universe but he can't create a magic band-aid.

Hah, yeah these limitations are extremely specific. But I also detest “anything goes” magic so I like it when his limitations get some focus, it’s not like it’s a new limitation either

It's not just anything goes, it's that most writers don't have the correct understanding of magic to make it work so they keep making up spaghetti code rules all the fucking time and then all the writers have to work around everyone else's magical spaghetti code until you get Doctor Strange.

I'm just wondering why he didn't put him in statis like the one user said

Drama. Doctor Strange's abilities work like this:

What can Strange do?
Whatever the plot demands.

What can't Strange do?
Whatever will add drama.

if the living tribunal and eternity are helping he could definitely fix the kid

Wait, did he stasis someone before? Weird thing is with all the shit he had done I can’t recall a single case where he actually froze someone in time

That's another thing. Most of Strange's magic comes from powerful entities. None of them know how to heal? The fucking PHOENIX doesn't have restorative powers???

Huh, right he has never ever drawn on the Phoenix before. Guess it’s not a magical entity? And thinking more about it, all of his entities are fucking warlords or dictators, or cowardly asshats. Guess one of the requirements of being an entity is being an asshole

Shit thinking about it has he ever called on an entity to heal before? Why are they all so bloodthirsty?

Which is ironic since canonically it's a literal wizard who worshipped the Phoenix as a bird that gave it its form as a fire bird.

Good questions to pose to Marvel.

>calling the Phoenix to earth
oh yeah, that's something you want to do...again.

Does he call the Faltine to Earth every time he sets something on fire? Also, the Earth could use a good cleansing. If the Phoenix actually represented the interests of life it would have wiped out humans long ago.

The Pheonix isn't like other gods, it's just a fundamental force and half the time it is somewhat unaware of what it does. And it lives in the 616, Strange siphoning power from it to heal is a fucking terrible idea.

If you agree to a system where whatever help you give you need to take it back somehow, the actually nice ones are probably filtered out

I mean, I'm sure every fucking character playing host to it for shenanigans and Scarlet Witch trying to literally destroy it were probably worse for it. But I'm sure there's some entity with healing powers. Also, only in the Marvel universe does magic have a limited battery like that. Life begets life.

Man maybe strange should go on a search of nice helpful entities someday. Even the vishanti are useless dicks

Given how the entity power system works, you need cult dedicated to sacrifice in order to increase power. And all the ones who are nice enough not to do so will get conquered by the ones who do. Even the vishanti demand worship and sacrifice. So it’s basically l natural selection where the evil bloodthirsty ones are selected for

Strange has healed his hands before. I recall that he's been capable of doing so since he first became a sorcerer supreme in the first place. Why is it treated as being so difficult nowadays?

What? When has it happened? All I remember is the injury not touched on much once he got magic to make up for it, but it was always there

There’s also precedence that the operating thing is not physical but mental to an extent. Gillis basically made him unable to operate even in someone else’s body

I'm pretty sure he's healed before too. But they must've had some limitations over the years because of muh busted hands.

This is how stupid healing magic is in the Marvel universe (so far as I'm aware) - and keep in mind, this is the same universe where Magneto can fucking heal people by dressing in drag. In the real world, the placebo effect is so powerful that it has to systematically be removed as a routine from all medical research, because it's often much stronger than the treatment. And placebo doesn't just refer to how people feel, it also refers to actual PHYSICALLY DETECTABLE changes in the body.

This means that when it comes to healing magic, Deepak Chopra is a stronger wizard than the Sorcerer Supreme.

His hands needed to be repaired to even make the hand gestures he uses for magic.
Even if you discount his own backstory from his original run saying that he's been capable of healing his hands from the get go, the reason his hands "currently' didn't work was because the Hulk had personally crushed them during World War Hulk. They were fine before that since he had cured them at some unknown (to me) point in time.
Strange's hands working properly is just one of those things the universe keeps on forgetting like Emma Frost never actually being capable of being anything but rich.

How are you even going to placebo an unconscious person lmao

But holy shit you did make me think about how useless strange’s magic is at healing. He can’t even fucking seal a wound, like damn Rintrah had goddamn bandages on when he was injured. Voodoo suffers from the same thing too

He can't currently do it to a conscious one so far as I know.

>He can’t even fucking seal a wound, like damn Rintrah had goddamn bandages on when he was injured.
You'd think with the 400 types of bands he can summon, one of them would be cotton.

>His hands needed to be repaired to even make the hand gestures he uses for magic.
That isn’t true. His hands weren’t so injured they lose motor function entirely, he just can’t hold his fingers steady enough to do operations (or very precise spells)
>even if you discount his own backstory of healing his hands from the get go
Since when? When he gave up magic entirely once he didn’t even heal his hands, he just became a consultant. Are you sure you aren’t confusing it with the movie?

The WWH thing is extra weird. My interpretation is that his hands got even more injured then which resulted in his magic going even more haywire, but they slowly healed until he’s back at his current state.

I seriously don’t remember him completely curing his hands at all

Not confusing it with the movie. There could always be some sort of Mandela effect going on since i'm not double checking that at 1 am, but i roughly recall the ancient one telling Strange that he could already repair his own hands.

I can’t remember him saying that in the comics. The AO did say it in the movie though, word for word. Or maybe Steve Englehart(or was it Roger stern?) forgot as well and it stuck from then on

>but i roughly recall the ancient one telling Strange that he could already repair his own hands
Wut

As much as the system is fucked up, marvel magic never worked like this*

You can’t just wave your hand and everything magically, automatically repairs. It always has to be a guided process, either by the user or the entity. With imprecise guiding the boy is dead, and magic in its nature is unstable. Time stopping is also not possible without tons of prep or an infinity stone handy

*under a semi-competent writer

To elaborate, fast anaesthesia is possible because there are spells from entities that directly place targets into deep sleep (i.e entity guided). Sterlising is possible because all killing microoganisms on a surface is a simple command. There isn’t an entity that guides brain surgery, and him trying to build a shield or portal in a child’s brain with his fucked up hands might as well be killing him outright. That’s why a lot of his own spells are blasts or flat shields, becuase that shit is simple, and many of the entity spells are damaging, because causing something to burst into flame is simpler and much more generalised than stitching nerves together

If only more writers actually remember this aspect so magic doesn’t devolve into a fix all

How about stitching a universe together in minute detail?

If you're talking about #17, it was guided specifically by Eternity and TLT. If Strange did it himself or did it by simply invoking would be total bullshit, but with two conceptual entities actually present and actively helping makes it acceptable, at least to me

The closest he came to doing it himself in this run was a relatively small gash in reality, compared to the entire universe. It's not really the same. Fixing a broken vase isn't the same as fixing a clock, anyway (smaller, complicated things opposed to bigger, spacious things).

Attached: Doctor Strange (2018-) 001-006.jpg (795x1222, 312K)

>Midstate New York
Boooo! Everything north of the city is Upstate.
>no NY license plates or window stickers

All these pathetic apologists going so hard to make it look like this isn't crap writing
>N-no S-strange can't do that see, he needs to have done it in a previous issue or he can't do it at all, or he has to make a deal with something or else he can't do it, or-or he can't make up his own spells, it has to have existed already!!!
He's supposed to be the fucking SORCERER -SUPREME- you dumbasses, he's defended the Earth and the Universe on this and other planes of existence for thousands of years in what has just been a blink of an eye.
You guys have reduced his power so much with your explanations that you make him sound like he's just the Dr. Doolittle of otherworldly or otherdimensional cosmic entities and can't do anything on his own without asking for their power.

I mean yeah? That’s how it always worked, even his title comes from a cosmic being granting him that. His power has always come mainly from entities, he does have some on his own but it isn’t that much

Mentality like yours is the problem with magic writing, magic is not supposed to be able to do anything perfectly or solve every problem just because the writer can bullshit their way out of everything because is magic lol, especially when what it cannot do was previously established

I'm not expecting him to be able to do everything
but when a problem comes and he cannot solve it when all it would require is one of many possible simple magical solutions, is when I get bothered.

I have always thought making up shit on the spot to solve a problem a character previously did not have is lazy. Not to say this run doesn’t suffer from this too, I wasn’t happy with how Dormammu was gotten rid of so easily in the second arc

I would be very bothered if he did manage to solve it before but he suddenly cannot for whatever reason, but since there is no precedent I am much less bothered. I think the tripfag made a good point of if he could do this shit all along he would have continued being a surgeon on the side like what voodoo did, which is what he’s doing in the new series
Could this be done better? Sure it could, but I am not seeing a big problem here

There was a moment in Lee/Dikto Strange I think where he made his body intangible. It came out of nowhere, would have been useful many times before that specific situation, and was subsequently never used again. I was both confused and slightly pissed off as it made him look like an idiot in prior and subsequent situations.

Are you referencing some AU story?
I don't remember this

Nigga the problem is that if he could suddenly do now it would retroactively make many situations make no sense. So many times some idiot with him got injured and he did no magic to help, if he could suddenly do advanced magic healing now with nothing building up to it boy was he a dick to so many people around him

Bump

Attached: donde_esta_el_bano.jpg (917x967, 150K)

you'd have to retcon most of Strange's existence to have him suddenly heal the boy.