Is Steven’s new attitude a step forward or step back for him...

Is Steven’s new attitude a step forward or step back for him? I can dig him being frustrated but he also seems rather cold.

Attached: 082893CA-0C2B-4ACC-B6C2-E9943A9C36BA.jpg (1280x717, 108K)

I'd say forward, at least because he won't be naive enough to think that nothing bad will ever happen again.

It's something he learned that Rose didn't, that the future can hold bad shit you aren't expecting and you need to be able to deal with it.

I don't think there was anything regressive about it, maybe if he went completely bitter then sure, but as it was, he just seems more realistic but also hopeful now.

He's just getting frustrated with still cleaning up Pink Diamond's leftover bullshit after he thought he was done.

Steven now knows he and his friends are going to be paying for Pink's mistakes for the rest of their lives. He realized that he can't get complacent because every time he does, another gem Pink wronged in some way comes knocking at his door for revenge not knowing Pink is long gone.

He'd probably have to worry less about endless threats if he were a threat himself. If he actually killed his foes I think far less would spacefags would be willing to just come by to curb stomp his shit in.

The fact that he didn't hug Spinel is inexcusable.

Attached: 1567693071107.webm (1920x1080, 401K)

he just wants five minutes alone wth connie to finally smash her puss

yes. a good, tight 5 second or so hug would've been great

Attached: animecrazy.png (490x440, 123K)

Considering how he learned he was being used for most of his life, he took it pretty well.

Attached: E119D179-CDD0-4AA5-A695-BDD487D34F84.jpg (1280x1185, 392K)

If he actually killed his foes, he'd be only a few short steps from falling into the same insanity that governed White ("Everyone is a potential threat, and they need to submit to me in order to curb said threat!") It's not a good idea.

He's not seeking out people to kill, he'd just be defending himself and his loved ones. You don't become a murderous psycho just because you defend yourself.

What about Superman?

Attached: 09EC1AFE-AC52-4419-956D-EA94360D8C74.jpg (1064x770, 137K)

>I can dig him being frustrated but he also seems rather cold.
How? He still helped Spinel even though she wanted to murder him. That´s classic Steven.
What, do you mean because he´s sick of dealing with the diamonds? Of course he is, the diamonds suck. They are horrible people and he only deals with them because there´s no way to defeat them in a fight. They can´t even be poofed.

>What, do you mean because he´s sick of dealing with the diamonds? Of course he is, the diamonds suck. They are horrible people and he only deals with them because there´s no way to defeat them in a fight.
They're also horrifically clingy, even knowing that he's not Pink.

>why didn´t Steven hug someone who almost killed him, all his human friends and all life on Earth
It´s already bad enough that he literally hands her a happy ending despite her crimes. Seriously, why isn´t there a gem prison on this universe?

Attached: EDhEVZLUUAAQSZi.jpg (1000x933, 59K)

Isn’t gem prison poofing and bubbling them?

he is less naive
like it or not he will always be roses son and he will spend his life fixing her shit
its rather bleak but hey at least now he doesnt have to live on her shadow or pretend she wasnt a cunt

>Steven now knows he and his friends are going to be paying for Pink's mistakes for the rest of their lives
to be fair, pearl, amathyst and garnet seemed perfectly fine with that

if he tried to kill white diamond he would have been instantly shattered

>why didn´t Steven hug someone who almost killed him
That's literally something he does all the time.

Pink Steven could have done it.

no, no way. White isnt just white she can also mind control everyone, there is no way pink steven can defeat the entirety of homeworld

Bismuth could have shattered white

Shes baby?

Yeah for the CGs which is pretty merciful.
Gem harvesting is a more horrifying experience.

Attached: 0kojruj8zue31.png (1800x2387, 1.84M)

That doesn´t solve anything because it just puts gems in stasis. It´s like pausing their lives. They don´t learn anything with that, they must live imprisoned so they can better themselves.
Yes, which is very stupid, so I´m glad he didn´t do it this time.

Attached: EDfTvuAXoAAqMPX.jpg (1106x1200, 161K)

what a stupid comic

You mean like Peridot, Pear, Bismuth, Lapiz or Pear again?

Attached: maxresdefault[1].jpg (1280x720, 82K)

>so I´m glad he didn´t do it this time.
You're glad he didn't do it the one time it was actually necessary?

Not every boy needs to act like a 10 year old for the rest of their life.

Being "cold' is simply him being masculine.

She might have suffered but that doesn’t mean she should get hugs and kisses when she was willing to kill people she knew were innocent.

Don't forget good ol' Centi

Attached: Centipeetle_animated2.gif (500x300, 1.9M)

You people forgot she tried to kill all life on his planet?

Who doesn't in SU?

Peridot was not a victim of this because she only joined the crystal gems to ensure the survival of both parties. The world was going to explode, and both Peridot and the CGS wanted to live, so they joined forces. They only started hugging each other once they started to know each other.
Lapis is a horrible character and I agree that it´s bullshit she was accepted by Steven. But keep in mind that Steven didn´t hug her in Ocean Gem. He healed her and said "bye". She was a threat at that time, so it wouldn´t have made sense if Steven hugged her.
Bismuth at least apologized and realized she was wrong almost instantly. It´s still bullshit how they handled her, but she wasn´t nearly as despicable as other villains in the show.
Steven only hugs the villains way after they don´t want to kill him anymore
>Pear
Ah yes, truly the most heinous SU character

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 19K)

>Steven only hugs the villains way after they don´t want to kill him anymore
user, they usually have way less time with Steven and way less exposition than Spinel did.

Andy?

I’d forgive her, wouldn’t you?

Steven Bunter
First episode:
>"Alright Steven, are you ready for an adventure?"
>"Yeah-"
>They froze as they heard a microphone boom out, "this is the police. We have your house surrounded. Come out with your hands up and nobody gets hurt." They looked out the window and saw masses of police cars, a SWAT team, even a news helicopter circling over the shack.
>"Well girls," Pearl shook her head, "looks like we gotta scare them again."
>"Uh, guys-" Steven was nervous, "I don't think that's a good idea-"
>"Oh Steven, they're just little humans. What could they possibly do?" One by one the Gems left the shack with Steven watching nervously out the window.
>"You ready girls?"
>"Yeah!"
>"Lets-"
>"She's got a gun, she's got a gun!" Before they could fuse, bullets ripped across the beach, tearing into the three like mince meat. "Go, go, go! Git da kid outta heah!" Officer Ruckus shouted, his gun still trained on Pearl or rather what was left of her: a vaguely humanoid shape with a torn mouth with little gem stones sprinkled around her.
>"No!" Steven cried, "WAAAHHH!"

Attached: 1147344c0b1ce4087434e57f05b043f5.jpg (480x360, 43K)

Second Episode (gotta go to bed, so stay tuned):
>Greg's funds were frozen as he was investigated for fraud, shortly afterwards getting sentenced for child neglect leaving Steven pennyless. Onion murdered his brother and made his old room his pet's, Ronaldo's, room where he kept all the BDSM gear. Peedee was never able to get over his fear of mascots and died midway through a McDonalds commercial. And, it turns out most of Greg's money belonged to the mayor and Kevin got a fat payout but there was just enough to send Steven away.
>And Steven? "Hey, Flashy, it's the new kid." Gary had his arms crossed as the wretched little figure made his way to the dormitory. His scarred eye looking bemused, "looks like easy pickings to me."
>"Indeed," Flashman chuckled, his knuckles craning for a beating. "I could use a little sport." The bully gang approached Steven who was slowly making his way, his backpack slung around him. When Steven looked up, the upperclassmen encircled him and Flashy cracked his knuckles. "Well, well, what do we got here? A freshman!"
>"And a particularly tubby one at that," Gary added, noticing the girls were all coming out to watch.
>"Well freshie, any last words?" Flashy towered over Steven, his ruggedly handsome features reminding Steven of his own pudginess.
>"I know bull-" in a, heh, flash, the bully's fist hit Steven right in the eye. Steven fell onto the ground, unable to react to Flashy climbing on him, pounding his face. "No-" Crack, "please-" another, "help me-" he tasted blood, "bleh-" one of his front teeth flew out. When Flashman was done, Steven was battered and blue, the other freshmen gaping and laughing at him.
>"No honor among thieves I guess," Gary tsked as Flashy dusted himself off and the gang left in a huff.
>"Ew," three girls walked on by. "What a pussy," the blonde one spit right in Steven's face, "now a real man would've beaten them down."
>"Yeah," said the Asian, "we can't be seen with him." Steven groaned.

She’s baby.

Just take her out as fast as you can,

Attached: 5E81FDEC-142F-49CE-B6BA-F111FAE86C82.jpg (776x598, 164K)

All the bad guys try to do that, it's nothing new. At least Spinel had an actual reason to be pissed AND talked herself down.

Episode the third:
>Steven was struggling to adapt to his new school, teachers always after him for his uniform, and the students were never happy with him. Steven smelled, he farted all the time, threw temper tantrums, but most of all: was a rat. The students were barely able to hold in their disgust as Steven was in the cafeteria line.
>"Man, all that is going to kill you someday. I wouldn't eat that." Gary remarked, observing Steven's tray packed full of donuts, cookies, ice cream, the most unhealthy stuff you could possibly imagine. "There's a reason you're rather fat."
>"Shuttup Gary, I can eat what I want!" Steven didn't like the strange boy with the scar. When Steven was done, his face was covered with frosting, maple syrup, his uniform stained from all the crap food. His brother freshmen looking on in disgust while the upperclassmen burst out laughing. But that wasn't the worst part, that was when Steven's enormous size walked up the tower, the wood straining under his massive weight.
>Professor Nelson's mouth was agape when Steven walked in with his massive sausage legs and blubber. "Kid, you know what we're doing today... Right?" Steven just grabbed his broom and walked over to the ledge.
>"Ah man, I feel an earthquake!" The other students burst out laughing at Flashy's comment. Even more so as Steven looked out the school grounds, ready to take flight. Only for the wooden board at the end to break at Steven's enormous weight, sending the fat kid flying to the ground. Steven screamed but his fellow students pretended not to hear him, "ah Flashie, you're so funny." Sasha traced Flashman's chest.
>"Yeah," said Annie, coming up to Flashy. "So strong and handsome too." The kids could not be more disinterested.
>"Holy fucking shit!" Nelson looked at the broken body on the ground, it's arms mangled like a ragdoll, Steven's face staring and the sky with several teeth lying around and a pool of blood. The fact Steven was still alive was a miracle.

Oh Harry Potter, now I get it.

now that the dust has settled
who was in the wrong here?

Attached: you can almost hear her heart break apart.png (1280x1436, 1.05M)

Steven

Steven for not getting with Spinel

they all looked stoned AF in the movie

Episode 4:
>Steven had spent a week in the infirmary. He was an orphan, and with Greg pennyless and homeless as all his money was now funding Kevin's spring break, there were no lawsuits. When he got up and went to class, he was walking with a limp as he permanently mangled his right leg.
>Which became his new nickname, Pete facepalming, trying to ignore the smelly fat kid who sat next to him in Arithmetic. Mr. Robinson trying to teach the class, "now this is how you do basic-" Steven belched, "now this is how you-" Steven belched yet again which made the professor turn red with rage.
>Turning and glaring at Steven, "THAT'S IT! Stay after class." Suddenly there was another one, but this time it wasn't Steven. It was another pack of bullies that targeted him, Petey reflected, looking at the Magnificent Three who claimed to defend the student body from Steven.
>"It wasn't me!" Steven rose his arm, "it was Amanda!"
>Petey hissed, "Steven, you're only going to make it worse." But the Rat was unditurbed leading to Robinson turning and hitting his desk.
>"THAT'S IT! All of you stay after class!"
>"Goddamn it boy, your parents let you slide to the wayside but I sure as hell won't!" Wack, "what were you thinking dragging all that food in here?" WACK, "AND, it was stolen!" The ruler kept hitting Steven's behind.
>"I'm sorry!"
>"That's not the true kind of sorry," WACK, "that's the fake kind of sorry horrible children make to get out of trouble." WACK, "we here are going to make a man out of you whether or not it kills me!" WACK, Steven cried, lost balance, falling off his desk, his rump bright red. Making the other nerdowells snicker.
>Mr. Robinson glared, the old school arithmetic professor wasn't anyone to be messed with. "Alright, since you three have been snickering the whole time- you get to pick rulers. What will it be? Metric or imperial? Starting with you, Constance." All three glared at Steven with unbridled hate. "PAY ATTENTION!"

Steven for being a stupid idiot who forgot social skills for one minute.
Seriously, that part of the movie made no sense. They finally fixed everything but the writers just had to pull something out of their ass so they could get a third act.

Steven for pawning off Spinel to the diamonds instead of spending time with her

Spinel for not raping Steven

Well Spinel just came down from a rage high and Steven was operating on 20% gem power for the last 18 hours.

Spinel for being too paranoid and clingy

Steven for not hugging her

>After that, Steven was assigned to one of the top students to help him better accumulate. Unfortunately for him, Diana was no Petey, "No, you don't do it like that. Again!" Diana fired off her wand at the straw target.
>Steven tried, only for his shirt to catch on fire, sending his tubby little body flying to the ground. "Sigh, AGAIN!" Steven tried and tried and when he stumbled into his dorm room, Petey trying his best to ignore the smell of smoke and ash, Steven completely collapsed.
>"Hey, look at the fat kid!" Annie called, and the entire dorm boomed with laughter. Among them one of the old alma matter who came to pay a visit.
>Steven recognized a familiar mocking laughter and turned, "oh no-" Kevin stomped his face right into the wooden floor. Steven shrieked as Kevin's innumerable medals, awards, and other such memorabilia shaking.
>"Kevin, is that..." Steven craned his face and saw Connie looking down at him, disgust flowing from her like vomit.
>"What? Just breaking in the dork. He's gotta learn."
>"I know, it's just..."
>"What?"
>"We were going to get dinner, remember?" Connie rolled her eyes.
>"Oh yeah!" Kevin laughed, "just gotta-" A few more kicks, the last one breaking more teeth. "Come on, bitch!" The two walked away laughing.
>And then Diana walked in, looked down at Steven then at Petey, "what happened? Crap, how am I going to explain this... Alright fatty, we forgot to do broom training. Clean yourself off."
>Steven groaned, he couldn't ride a broom! "I don't wanna!" Steven started throwing a temper tantrum which made Diana only roll her eyes. "I don't wanna-I don't wanna!"
>"Do it or Kevin will be the least of your worries. You don't wanna piss me off."
>"Steven, just do it." Petey couldn't stand Steven, looking down on him in disgust and pity. You would think Steven was an olympic tier runner by how fast he moved after that.

Steven, he basically just manipulated her emotions.

Spinel was suicidal, she didn’t care whether she lived or died.

Poor Boy

Attached: 9B20B8C2-C894-41F8-8519-A766974750C6.jpg (1054x1438, 284K)

I think you had Pink showing herself for a sec there Steven..

Attached: SU_He's wearing the dress alright_02.jpg (854x480, 80K)

He did nothing wrong

>I can dig him being frustrated but he also seems rather cold
Then he is becoming a real man.

Little edgy

Forever one step forward, two steps back.

>realizes his work will never be done
>too stupid to realize that he's causing more problems by ignoring the underlying issues and passing the buck to someone else

Besides that being exactly what he does pretty much the entire series?

She sums it up herself. Asking why she wants to hurt him when all she really wants is to be his friend and not be left alone again. The rejuvenator threat was basically non existent because he just kisses the poison away anyways, and the only real harm she did was make his friends forget who he was so he had to suffer like she did when pink forgot about her. But even then, she lets herself also get reset because she hates who she became.

It's the red shading on their eyeballs.
Not a good look.

Steven being out of character for that one moment which forces the third act, the one poor moment of the movie.
I'm autistic and even I could read the emotions of Spinel better than Steven did here.

People spent years complaining that Steven was 'too soft'(a valid argument in the first two seasons).

Now that Steven has matured, people are complaining that he's become a jerk(ignoring the fact that he was 100% justified to be cold with Spinel).

Thinking about it, Steven should have been more harsh on her for doing what she did, a normal person would threaten Spinel with violence anyway, if the whole planets at stake.

He was more mature. That can be both good and bad. On one hand, he won't come up with as many silly ideas. On the other hand, those silly ideas often had a funny way of working out as intended. In a way puberty has made him a bit dumb.

just wait until he has to deal with a rebel group of gems who don't like the changes he's made to the empire.

Who's ready for another 6000 year civil war?

On a third hand, he’s grown strong enough so it evened out.

Pink did nothing wrong. The movie taught him to always dump incel girlfriends unable to grow and keep up with you.

Old Steven would have had the idea of jogging the gems memories on his own. New Steven had to be told the idea by Spinel.

that was naive chubby little kid steven, not slightly less chubby slightly less naive teenage steven

Old Steven would have stayed at Homeworld based off the Diamonds’ guilt trips.

It would have been the right decision.

That would just repeat the cycle of Pink.

We might have enjoyed Steven The Conqueror.

not everyone wants to be smothered emotionally and physically by three clingy giantess aunties

I think a lot of people are pinning on Steven what was really caused more by circumstance. The plot didn't really allow them much room to talk or get to know each other. By the time there is an opportunity for it, the diamonds show up and whisk her away. It would be nice for Spinel to get to hang out with Steven when he doesn't have a bunch of other stuff on his plate.

Steven's one fuckup was pretty much admitting he was using her and then failing to give a good explanation about why he still had the rejuvenator. He really could've deescalated that.

Probably

>Steven has gained more Gem powers
>He's regressed socially and regularly blows off other Gems like the Diamonds and Spinel
It's almost like he's lost some of his humanity. Really makes you think.

Good because it shows him growing up and losing his naivety about life. He's still the kid who loves schmaltz and love itself but it's tempered by exhaustion and caution now. The Diamonds needed a firm hand when it came to reeducating them and the younger Steven would have just gone in circles trying to get them back on the right path.

I think it made sense for Steven "I just want my happy ending" Universe to act this way, cause that's kind of his arc for the movie I guess, but not with the way they wrote Spinel. There's definitely a dissonance present when Spinel gets done describing her 6000 years of isolation and accumulated abandonment issues and Steven's first response is like "Haha wow... that's fucked up." It's too extreme for a cartoon like this. If I was in his position I would be terrified of her spontaneously shattering into pieces in front of me. Nigga should be handling her with soft fucking mittens. But ah well, I guess we need our emotional climax, don't we?

It's in character for Steven. Even up to CYM he had problems dealing with the future and consequences and would constantly repress shit.

He already went through that with Lapis.

>Why didn't Steven hug someone who almost killed him
He literally did that with Lapis, Peridot, and Bizmuth. Peridot didn't even have a reason to kill him at first other than she thought she was gross looking as if squashing a bug.

Not to mention Spinel was the ONLY one who actively tried to be Steven's friend whereas all the others he basically hugged them until they started to like it. Why is it that Steven wants to be friends with those who never expressed interest in it, but not Spinel who very much expressed interest in friendship?

Attached: EDvnN1aXUAAV1fc.jpg (800x800, 91K)

Gaz had more emotional understanding and was a better comforter in the Invader Zim movie than Steven was in his movie. We're living in the Twilight Zone.

Steven is a wealthy white male. That appropriated female culture. Then destroyed the Matriarchy by Mansplaining.

Spinel has a toxic understanding of friendship, he had every right to be cautious. Younger Steven was hilariously naive about the levels of danger he constantly found himself in and it eventually compounded into giving him fucking PTSD.

Like with Peridot. If it had been Jasper there instead, she’d have crushed him.

Steven didn't distrust Spinel because she had a "toxic understanding of friendship" or whatever, it's because she wasn't in his envisioned "happy ending." aka Steven's a fucking retard jerk. He hears this heartbreaking song about this abandoned gem and he just replies with
>Typical mom!
Obviously this only happens so she can relapse and yadayada more conflict, also so she's not a part of the main cast after the movie's done.

So is this the last SU "thing"? like is the show over?

Attached: 1550702860195.jpg (714x1000, 356K)

Rebecca says there’s more so no.

Is Sugar Redpilled?

>officer ruckus
>"get them fuckin' gems! They'se worse than the niggas!"
>"dontcha worry little white boah, ya safe now."
>"just a couplea lesbian rock niggas off the street, job well dun."

Attached: 9dcf8fe882a3c9b6d67cb912ed6156a9.jpg (280x210, 14K)

Also his dad laid n' slaid a super mommy tier matriarch from an all woman society and then when her lesbian friends tried to raise him his father figure remained and has remained the single most stable, rational source of information and advice in his life, with he himself bringing an entire lez society to its knees through the power of his manly love.

I think he is less naive but he was also too focused on being mad he had to clean up after Mom again and it made his "perfect" ending not work. Spinel did try to kill them all but she was more justified in being pissed than most of the other gems he tries to befriend and yet he's the coldest to her out of everyone when she was more willing to try to be friends than someone like Peridot or Lapis. It's out of character and why people in this thread are mad about it.

I'd say it's a solid step forward. Steven is beginning to understand that there will always be things to do and conflicts to settle, and it's good to see him growing out of his innocence and into a more mature mindset.

i love this couple

Attached: StevenxSpinel.jpg (1676x2039, 343K)

Lovely

Nu-Steven is unironically based. Rational and more of a realist while still being kind.

It has a season 6 coming up, somehow. As far as I know, no-one knows what it's about.

Well, fuck Andy

I kinda hope for more fights in season 6

I sort of excuse the stuff with the diamonds when you consider he’s 16, and the diamonds are like his doting aunts that occasionally say something racist, he not gunna want to be around them that much.

That's something I noticed being played out in the movie. It's a crack in Sugar's philosophy she had to include to make the story coherent.
Steven was only able to convert spinnel because she couldnt beat him. His martial power was superior and if he wanted to he could have shattered her.
Because of his superiority he is able to grant mercy, and he always will because he's good. Steven has a moral imperative to always be the superior martial force in any conflict because he will always be merciful to his enemies. The same isnt true for any of his enemies though. Is spinnel won the fight, obviously, she wouldnt have been redeemed. As long as she believed she could beat him she wasn't open to his offer of peace. It was only after she realized that fighting was hopeless that peace became an option for her.

Thanks to the narrative he's never had to confront a truly unreasonable enemy he had no choice but to destroy. It's the show's goal. but the same lesson is still being learned in the context of familial relationships. Steven can't be everyone's friend. Some people simply have conflicting values and are intolerable to each other. Steven is practicing diplomacy and patience with the diamonds, but while he'll make peace with them he does not want a relationship.

why is Say Uncle considered the worst episode of Steven Universe? Uncle Grandpa was a great show

Attached: 1278803808990.jpg (486x359, 17K)

Somewhat Might Makes Right

>laid n' slaid

Attached: smugmarine.png (225x225, 3K)

Spinel tired herself out and came to reason. She would've fought until Steven poofed her otherwise.

this is some next level autism

all political authority derives from violence

I like this new Steven, its a good progression, as far as being... 2 years older. The thing that really bothers me about this show, is that Steven gets everything he wants to some degree. Im hoping with the realization that he "always has work to be done" that he will eventually not get his way.

Season 5 ended with Steven practically pulling a Goku and saying "i win" and then he won. I have a bad feeling this show is going to turn into a power up anime.

Attached: 1370748097648.png (500x375, 251K)

It’s literally inspired by shonen anime

He didn't end up being friends with Spinel. I count that as a pyrrhic victory.

well that's the same result as what I said. She fought until she was out of fight. Like fighting a war till you run out of ammo. It stands to reason that, if you lose the ability to fight your enemy, and they still have the ability to fight you, that you are at her mercy.

And sugar's inability to write this out of the narrative shows that. Even though this is counter to the underlying philosophy.
But that's GREAT. because had she contrived the story to push her narrative it would have been tedious. She had a choice between good story telling and her messaging and she chose the story.
A+

no shit. that doesnt mean it has to get watered down like a bad one

It’s kind of a superhero staple to be fair.

If you identify with him then he most certainly isn't a based character anymore. He's a cringe character just like you are.

Found Heinlein

Attached: 1565652966894.jpg (500x818, 73K)

>Ima head out: the movie

I get that, since the show is all about Steven making everyone his friend. It doesn't really feel like enough to be a pyrrhic victory though

She did walk away twice, hiding the latter time to be fair. Steven hands out hugs like candy, if she held out her arms for one, she would've got one.

oh no man. Steven Universe definitely has a message and a philosophy which is distinct from like a "no kill rule".
Batman isnt going around teaching people to be like him as a solution to his conflicts.

I was thinking more that the heroes usually tend to be the more powerful and are who decide what goes in the world. Look at stuff like the Authority or Injustice, where those with the power make the rules .

Got something against Axolotls?

Oh yeah. It's a common trope, but thats also kind of exactly what SU is trying to subvert. I'm masking the observation that even though the show is trying to present an alternative point of view to this idea, it can't completely escape it without sacrificing quality of the story.

That's the good shit

Attached: EDu3OwDXUAAa5yk.jpg (680x383, 31K)

Spinel the character design really bothers me, with how she behaves in the movie. She's a funny clown girl that was totally oblivious to how obnoxious she could be, Pink Diamond and Steven both plainly dislike how in your face and bouncy she would be, to the point of tossing her away out of stress. She's like a person who cant read the fuckin room ever. Also a pet essentially. Though as a "reverse gem" she can sniff out slights against her like a hawk. Steven "used" her and she gets upset, but she couldnt figure out that Pink Diamond was tired of her bullshit? it took her 6000 years? I know this show loves its rush writing, but Spinel's story kinda sucks and seems absolutely tacked in there.

She's programmed to be a best friend like Pearls are there to be servant. You're also judging an alien AI based on human behaviour which is where the argument falls apart.

It’s sort of like when a person has a child go missing, as long as there is never proof the kid is dead, they’ll hold hope for years and years.

the "programmed" and "ai" argument barely holds together with this show, bro

You can bet your ass that the main villain of Beyond is going to be someone who just shatters gems that are too dangerous to be left alive; even if they could be reformed.

I just gave you two examples of confirmed servant castes, keep up.

Beyond is a meme based on nothing and not confirmed by actual insiders.

True, it’s just very hard to escape especially with the influences Sugar takes. Steven over the series grows as a person and in power, and was eventually going to surpass anyone around him to the point where the villains can’t hurt him so they’re not much a threat to his existence.

the show is clearly trying to make comments about the real world and real people, but it uses a fantasy mechanism as a metaphor. The gems are born indoctrinated with their purpose, and can't do anything else. Spinel's purpose was to be unconditionally loving. She wasn't stupid she was delusional. The only thing holding back her potential was her adherence to her programming. That's how all the gems were. She had that same transformative moment all the CGs had on earth. Except hers was negative and it made her resentful.

The show isnt written by aliens. The gems are stated to be "made" to do a job, but obviously have their own free will when given permission. They arent AI. Anyway, Spinel still barely holds ground, and suffers for it. Its so convenient a reason to be mad

>The gems are born indoctrinated with their purpose
Correct
>and can't do anything else.
Incorrect

No, that's Mao

>The show isn't written by aliens

Direct, personal orders given by a Diamond to certain castes of gems cannot be circumvented. These include Pearl not being able to spill the beans about PD without going through modern technology which took thousands of years to appear on Earth and Spinel standing in place for all that time.

He didnt have to if they didnt write it that way. He beat white diamond while being demonstrably weaker than her. It was via rhetoric and fact that he did it. Not through a show of superior force. That is the whole show's philosophy brought to its apex in the final battle between steven and white diamond.
But white diamond isnt unreasonable. The show contends that all people would, if guided correctly, arrive at peaceful conclusions. Different villains were converted by steven in different ways, but white put up the strong ideological defense.
This philosophy doesnt have an answer to the question of people who are not guided by rationality. spinel (imo) is an exploration of that question. What do you do with someone who will simply never allow themselves to choose peace? Their answer is to overwhelm them with force, bring them to despair, and then offer peace. In the end spinel is brought to rationality, either because she lost the will to fight over time or because she saw she could not beat steven and surrendered (they're the same thing). In the end the answer they assert is that there are no truly irrational people. An irrational person will lose their will or otherwise return to reason when faced with a hopeless outcome.

I meant to say the gems cannot conceive of anything else. Not till they're shaken out of their indoctrinated state by some exceptional experience.

He beat her with Pink Steven, showing her not only was she wrong but she and the other Diamonds were outclassed.

Attached: 4F68E5FA-AA99-4F63-B8B3-B0D0E6842016.png (1600x1200, 1.7M)

I dont quite agree. Whether or not it's true white couldnt beat steven with violence it didnt appear to me that she believed that at the end. It was being proven wrong, and this imperfect that demoralized her.
Spinel actually did allow herself to get talked into turning, but then talked herself back out of it. she needed to be demoralized because as long as she believed she could beat steven she'd choose the option. If she were just tired, but still thought she could win she would have retreated. Jasper did that several times and for the same reason.

This is what bugged me. Suddenly Steven is stronger than White Diamond who is co sidered an ominous threat just an episode earlier? Just who IS Pink Diamond if White is every color combined and still weaker than her little sister? Who made WYBP diamonds? Why were they expected to conquer and manifest more of their kind? A lot of questions are still left unanswered, especially about Steve but all the show focuses on is how Steven makes friends

White isn’t weaker than Pink. She’s weaker than Steven. It’s sort of like a Gohan situation in that while Gems are strong, humans have more potential, and a hybrid will be able to surpass both species.

I see that, but I didnt take that scene to imply that once the steves were back together that steven was still as powerful. It took it to mean that pink steven is powerful without the human half holding him back, but had no will. while meat steven had all the feelings, but was helpless and dying without steven.

I dont think if white weren't so overwhelmed with embarrassment she couldnt have just stopped playing and killed steven.

I don't think its a rainbow thing. Pure diamond itself is white/colorless. Its the addition of other minerals (and different temperatures) that makes for other color diamonds.
I don't think WD had the powers of all the other diamonds she was just in possession of an ability that let her "purify" other gems and thus be under her control.

Could be similar to psychological barriers, Steven has the power but his insecurity/humanity holds him back and only when acting without his humanity can he unleash his full power.

Was Steven slowly dying throughout the movie?

Sugar was never against strength, it's all about how you use it. If someone doesn't abuse or get drunk off their power like what happened with Sugilite or Jasper then it should be fine. Steven was made to be a tank so he can talk people down while they tired themselves out.

he needs to be cold in the position he is in.

Just exhausted for the most part, pushing his weakened body to the limits.

If Steven didn't win so consistently, Earth would be dead.

IIRC, Sugar stated that White has done fuckall for the thousands of years since the Rebellion, and has basically been sitting inside her own he's for all this time. Meanwhile, Steven actually had to struggle and develop more and more to stand against the things coming his way. It's because of this that Pink Steven could overpower her and the other Diamonds.

Why?

hes basically a new diamond. thats a lot of responsibility even now. if he wants to keep things peaceful than hes going to have to be a little cold so he can focus on what matters.

They'll just excuse it as a crit charisma fail

Attached: Speech 0.jpg (2548x1149, 198K)

He still should have hugged and/or fucked Spinel.

man spinel is so great to look at

Problems Stephen won't be able to hug away:

The "lower life-forms" on the other planets that the diamonds have conquered and destroyed, seeking Revenge upon the diamonds now that their Empires are being disassembled/weakened

The gems creators wondering why their Creations stopped functioning correctly

His eventual death, and pink being forced to come back

Bam! next three movies
You're welcome Sugar, you hack

>Stephen
Wtf auto correct

Stephen Galaxy?

Stephen the male Lesbian.

Attached: maxresdefault[1].jpg (1280x720, 105K)

Well he was tired as shit, wounded and still had to deal with all the poison in the ground.

Give the nigga a break.

All of this shit could have been neatly tied up at the end with them chatting for two minutes.
>”Sorry I upset you. I was fucking tired and maybe dying.”
>”Yeah it’s cool. Sorry I freaked out. I really have some shit to work out.”
>”It’s cool too. Just know that we are here if we need you.”
>”Shucks, even after all this?”
>”Of course! What are friend for, eh?”
>”Huh... yeah. Friends.”
>*hugs*
Becomes instant 10/10 movie

SU doesn't do the best job at times of scale of time. Like, the gems being cool with the people who turned them into rabid beasts for 2000 years, lot of them not even Crystal Gems is swept under the rug. Is Jasper just okay with things now? What about the Frankenstein monstrosities walking around? The planet cracker in the Earth's mantle.

It's no wonder the gems developed tech to factory reset gems.

Attached: N10.png (1426x2048, 2.28M)

>unfounded statement
Say Uncle is a damn good episode. The show may be fun, I do not doubt it, but I also don't think anything the show has to offer isn't exhibited by other modern shows with more visually appealing characters to draw viewership via advertisement.

We have all of season 6 and maybe some books for that sacred hug.

some day.

Both

>she can sniff out slights against her like a hawk
Only because she's literally been jilted in the worst way possible once before and is completely wary of that shit now. She realized she trusted Pink Diamond way too hard before and even though she very much wants to get over it she can't stop being paranoid that the next person will probably leave her too.

she is rightfully mad, but instead of being mistaken and freaking out, she is right on the money and freaking out. It shows that Steven is also an asshole

Stevens big thing is bitching about his mom being selfish when the movie's whole point is how selfish Steven actually is in wanting his happily ever after.

Then when you think hes grown up and realized things never stand still, and even mentions it, he starts singing about his happily ever after again.

Shows gonna get darker when Steven becomes more selfish like his mom when he realizes that he just wants to be himself while the whole everything wants him to constantly save everything.

he already did some of that in season 4, then lars dies

>Shes baby
First it's "She's" and there should be an "a" after it.
I'm willing to overlook no punctuation after "leave her alone" for stylistic reasons but that's no excuse for the missing apostrophe and a whole missing word for grammar's sake.

Baby is a nickname, stupid.

Pearl and Garnet were taught that eternal servitude are exptected, and Amethyst is an idiot. Steven's upbringing and his human nature means he seeks complacency, even if it will always be out of reach.

The thing I don't like is that Steven just acted uncharacteristic of himself in the movie. He was a lot more selfish, and a lot more unfriendly to Spinel than I believe he would have been in the past. He tried befriending Peridot and Lapis even though they've tried hurting him for much less reasons. Peridot especially so since the reason she tried killing him at first was because he looked gross and was like a bug to her. Spinel had a good reason for her actions and seemed incredibly regretful when she got burnt out on her anger and all Steven really seems to say to her is "You'll make friend again but lol not me." It's just weird. Why is Peridot and Lapis more forgivable than her?

Attached: 1469136860872.png (952x875, 601K)

They never intended to murder a planet out of spite. Lapis took the ocean because she felt she had no choice and Peridot has no control over the Cluster.

Did you watch the movie?
The whole time he's pissed off because he thought he was finally done with all the gem bullshit and that he'd be able to live the rest of his life in peace, when out of fucking nowhere, another gem shows up trying to kill him over something he had nothing to do with.
His friends all got mindwiped, he lost his powers, his character growth, and the world was literally dying, all because some bitch he didn't know was being pissy over his mom (how many times has he dealt with that?).
Look at him when he says that he'll "always have work to do". That is not the same Steven from the show.
He's older, he's tired, he just want to live his life, and Spinel killed any idea he had of him getting a happy ending.
But, even after all that, he WAS willing to forgive her. He tried to finish dealing with all the problems, then she relapsed and fucked him over, then when he tried to talk to her again the injector blew up, then when he tried AGAIN, the Diamonds showed up. He saw a chance for the 4 of them to heal (and get out of his hair), and he took it. As much as I would have liked for Spinel to stick around, I don't blame Steven at all, and it made perfect sense in the context of the movie.

I think the fact that he was still making any attempt to help Spinel says a lot. He's suddenly dealing with a ton of shit specifically because of her but he still wants to help her. Plus even Spinel made the point several times that she'd done too much to just stick around and become another face in Beach City. I never even saw Steven's willingness to push Spinel onto the diamonds as an actual attempt to get rid of her so much as recognizing that staying on Earth wasn't really in her best interest.

>When you're consoling your ex over breaking up with them and they try to sneak in a kiss.
Don't fall for it Steven!1

I also feel the n3ed to point out that Spinel is the only villain in the show who knew that Steven wasn't Pink, that he wasn't his mom just playing a game. Said so herself. She just came to Earth because she wanted to kill an innocent planet and everyone on it to vent her frustrations a bit, and damn all those who had already suffered long before her arrival.

Steven was entirely justified in how cold he was. It speaks fucking volumes about him that he was STILL willing to give her a second chance. Twice, even.

He still got Pink's Diamond, they're NEVER leaving him alone.
They're not planning on it, but they can get it back from his dead body and write off "Steven Universe" as yet another phase.
Remember, 6000 years is nothing to them and nobody can hide it from them.

>They're not planning on it, but they can get it back from his dead body and write off "Steven Universe" as yet another phase.
Yeah, but then that just leaves Pink Steven. And you can't really call him "Pink, but just in a different form!" He's also almost entirely emotionless, and lacks 99% of the traits they enjoy in Pink and Steven.

The kid who literally cries and talks his enemies into submission is trying to act edgy?

Attached: babs.png (429x353, 210K)

>trying to act edgy
What? No, not in the least. Did you even watch the movie?

No I prefer not to torture my eyes

Attached: 1563706713450.jpg (2200x550, 335K)

Why are you in this thread?

Shitty things are always happening to Steven though and he gets over it pretty quickly. In fact he hasn't cried once this entire movie!

>edgy
I do not think that word means what you think it means

Attached: 5891b0edf2d24055b79dd29fcad837f3.png (363x394, 353K)

Steven just represses the fuck out of his own negative feelings and anger over this shit. He's not really getting over it. Not truly.

They'll probably overwrite the gem back to pink's shape(it still has that one), then remove Steven's data and his and Rose's shapes, then add some default settings and then raise said gem to become pink again by playing the: "you were nearly destroyed but it's a good thing that you now only have amnesia".jpg
That's my hypothesis on it.

Maybe, depends if the gem stays intact if he dies.

>When somebody says your co-dependent relationship is toxic as fuck.

Steven, Spinel should have lived with the other gems in little home world learning to become less needy and clingy over time.
Steven just chump and dumps Spinel after she stopped her revenge plot for him.

Fucking based and Uncle Ruckespilled, checked

It should be both, she is for both.

This assessment is too black and white. Spinel didn't stop fighting cause she came to a realization she couldn't beat him, she stopped fighting cause she reasoned things out with him and realized she no longer wanted to. I'd say its up in the air as to who the victor would be if they kept going at it.

Indeed.
If the gem gets destroyed maybe there will be a 'Spinel's Universe' spin-off, where she basically becomes a Diamond Authority approved stand in for PD and recolonises earth lol.

Forgot to add.

Attached: 1568147973230_0.gif (498x278, 2.1M)

Its not rushed writing, a naive person only needs to be betrayed once to develop trust issues. The more severe the betrayal, the more severe the trust issues. Spinel is a fucking wreck at the end of that movie.

Attached: uh3.png (547x475, 319K)