At what point did Nightwing become such a beloved character?

At what point did Nightwing become such a beloved character?

Maybe I'm the weird one, but to me Robin always sucked. As the prototypical sidekick, he was nothing more than an audience insert for boring kids. Then as Nightwing he turns into a melodramatic himbo who is obsessed with BEING HIS OWN MAN, in spite of the fact that he was literally running around doing the same shit his surrogate dad did, Basically a worse version of Daredevil.

But then... At some point, between the late 90s and the early 00s...

Now all of a sudden he's DC's most eligible bachelor, the socially functional, less-angsty version of Batman. Now everybody loves Nightwing. What exactly happened? Was there a specific moment where this changed? Did he go through a redemptive run, like how Mark Waid made Wally West not terrible? Was it the arrival of Damian and the revival of Jason to take up the mantle of "pain in the ass Bat-sidekick"? What exactly happened?

Attached: scott-mcdaniel-9e39f0f7-b7d6-44fc-8330-c79de9c761b-resize-750.jpg (551x600, 95K)

Other urls found in this thread:

comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/1995.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You just have shit taste.

He led the team that was neck and neck with the X-Men for like a decade. He's a nice guy. His butt. Also he's not that beloved in that while he's well liked, his comics have been terrible save for a couple runs.

he's cool. you don't think dick is cool?

Which volume does the "Ric" shit start for the rebirth stuff and when does it end? I've only read up to vol 3 or so and was planning to buy the physicals as I have all the grayson runs

Dickbats, son.

Attached: batmanandrobin.jpg (1280x1024, 200K)

Characterfag is a hell of a drug, OP.

Late 90's Batfamily stuff was great.

Nightwing only got his own comic in the mid 90s.

Priest was right, Dick is a shit boring character that is undeservingly powerful. I hope Priest writes Nightwing after Deathstroke so he can make him a character worth reading about .

Dick makes a better Batman than Bruce. Also Dick and Damion are the prefect Batman and Robin.

I really hate Damien and all Batfamily introduced after Infinity Crisis.

I hate all batfamily introduced after Jason died.

Damian is actually my favorite robin of all time. I like Dick better as Nightwing or Batmen then Robin personally.

the novelty of damian has worn off for me desu. is he really going to be robin forever?

Do we really need another Robin? Do we really need to add anyone else to the Batmam?

Has it actually ended yet? Is it safe to come out of the bomb shelter?

What said, another Robin would be fucking terrible, Tim is already a almost non existent character, just how there was one too many batgirls, there's only so many different spins you can put on an established position before you're just changing things from a cosmetic point of view

He's literally always been popular

Grayson sucking as a character and Grayson being popular can both exist.

can describe bruce the same way

i dont hate dick he just my least favorite robin because his stans basically shit on tim and jason, espically jason fans just for loving someone thats not dick or damian

Tim was actually relatable teenager, Damien is that edgy kid everyone hates and Bans still is awful as Batgirl.

But then he wrote a good dick in the crossover and I may be imagining it but I feel like he also said something since like, " I get him now"

Robin is more relatable to the youngins

>Dick makes a better Batman than Bruce
Ok you're retarded.

He’s a witty ninja acrobat who fights crime and fucks bitches. What’s not to love?

>a worse version of Daredevil
Daredevil didn't become a grim and gritty street avenger until early 1980s and Frank Miller's run - which happened at about the same time as Dick becoming a full-time leader of Teen Titans and adopting the Nightwing persona. Your complaint is anachronistic.

I think a comic where Batman makes Damien train under Tim to learn how to be a truly good Robin could be neat. I'd also love to see Tim run an Outsiders team with Cass.

>the socially functional, less-angsty version of Batman.

You answered your own question, fucktard. He's Batman without the emo bullshit.

Dick has always been tremendously popular, the call-in Robin killing was much more on diehard Dick addicts than DKR inspired edgelords. Keeping a B-list batbook since the 90's is just a cherry on top, Dick's main claim to fame is leading the NTT, during it's heyday the number one selling DC title outselling Marvel.
40's and 50's and 70's kids love him for being their POV character, 60's kids love him because of the TV show, 80's kids love him for Wolfman NTT, 00's kids love him for the pseudoanime cartoon, 10's kids love him because of TTGo!.
Only disgusting manchildren misreading DKR 90's kids diss the Dick, and they're all greasy fucks who still buy Liefield variant covers, so they can just fuck off and die.

90s ongoing
I remember it well

he's cool
he's cooler than you

The only people who hate Dick are the fags that believe the meme that Batman works alone.

It's always interesting to see revisionism from anons too young to remember

Chuck Dixon and Scott McDaniel's 40 issues of Nightwing was one of the hottest runs in DC at the time and completely changed Dick's story from "guy that normies aren't even aware is no longer Robin" to "the first Robin who eventually graduated"

There's a reason all the other media around that time was referencing the Greg Land suit

New Teen Titans and writers and artists lewding him plus comic fan autism.
No one makes a better Batman than Bruce but Dick makes a pretty good Batman and he's the best partner for Damian.

>184th
comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/1995.html
Wow, Dick was absolutely SIZZLING! Dixon is an anti-draw and it's MUH TAS 90's shitters that hate the Dick the most.

Yea Forums's anti-Dixon stance has always baffled me. The man gave Nightwing an identity and rogues gallery , introduced one of the few new Batman rogues to stick around (Bane) and NML continues to print money as a TPB. Now compare him to Snyder or King and tell me what he did wrong?

There's no anti-Dixon stance, Dixon is just a never has been never will be. No one likes Dick because of King Snake, and he can't claim Bane over Moench and O'Neill either.

Oh you sweet summer child

>There's no anti-Dixon stance
Then what are you posting?
>Dixon is just a never has been never will be
Punisher run wasn't good enough so he had to spend a decade on Batman? Yeah ok buddy.
>No one likes Dick because of King Snake
That's a pretty specific complaint. Not Blockbuster or Torque or Nitewing or his past with Two-Face but you pull out King Snake.
>he can't claim Bane over Moench and O'Neill either
Dixon's name is on the page, nobody is claiming anything over anybody else, his name is on the page right over Moench and I find it interesting that there's no anti-Dixon stance on Yea Forums put you're trying to revoke a writing credit from the man. Where did he touch you?

Cursed Quads. Dixon is fine, if now washed up. Punisher and Batfamily stuff was good back in the day.

Not happening apparently Priest pitched a new Nightwing series and it was rejected.

>I hope Priest writes Nightwing after Deathstroke so he can make him a character worth reading about .
One user that met him at a con said that Priest pitched a Nightwing run, but DiDio shut him down.

anons, esecially female anons, what are your opinions on Nightwing's butt?

Attached: mgid ao image logotv.com 251180.jpg (1500x843, 105K)

Really? when was this?

Way too oversexalized, Nightwing is more than just a sex object!!!!!!

>One user that met him at a con said that Priest pitched a Nightwing run, but DiDio shut him down
I was in that thread, Didio needed Dick off the table (for what we now know was going to be King on Batman who wanted Batman isolated from the Batfam) and Priest wanted Dick to be "the father Bruce couldn't" which meant significant interaction with the whole Batfam.
>we will never get priest using Dick to show an example of a competent Batman
Fucking hurts bro

How has there not been more articles decrying this?

Attached: Devin Graysons fucks Nightwing.jpg (613x960, 78K)

Men can't be raped

*so he had to spend a decade on Batman related low selling titles

>Dixon never wrote Batman
I smell a casual

should’ve been raped by a man and see how much people would care

Dixon co-wrote stupid events and one or two loose issues/annuals related to his B-books. He's not compared to King or Snyder because he doesn't belong in the same conversation, he's compared to Tony S Daniels and Devin Grayson.

As a Dickfag I've never even once participated in characterfagging shitpost wars. I'm convinced it's just Camp A and Camp B relentlessly flinging shit but once they get caught they blame it on me all the way over in Camp X.

Because straight men dominate the journalism sphere. They only complain about Batman's dick

What the? Have you actually read early Daredevil?

First of all Robin, the kid beating up adults with Batman. The premier sidekick.
Then leading the Teen Titans.
Then going his own way, not being a fucking neet asshole.
Then he changes his crime fighting persona and leads the New Teen Titans into some real gangsta shit.
In between all that, fucking Batgirl and Starfire.
Then streamlining his image and carrying his own book. Putting down tropes like utility belts and capes.
THEN fulfilling his destiny, as the only one who could fill Bruce's shoes and single handedly redeeming Damian, then a shithead whom everyone justifiably wanted to kill, through sheer badass example.

>At some point
Youre an asshole casual, thats all.

Attached: 1379020658361.png (240x331, 114K)

Nightwing exemplifies something DC has done very well compared to Marvel; they've successfully grown a character, and the universe is all the better for it. Marvel has never given us a legacy such as Robin, that pushes forward the narrative of passing the torch.

I wish I could be Nightwing. Nice ass, gets laid, perfect body, part of the Bat family. What's not to love about that lifestyle?

>He led the team that was neck and neck with the X-Men for like a decade
here is your answer, when he was perez/wolfman teen titans leader

Not really followed the comics. More of a cartoon person and slight dabble of comics that seem cool. To me, Nightwing is the first Robin and it's cool to see his soul grow up throughout all the separate cartoon series.

And he somehow pulled off having an alien girlfriend as a batman character and got away with it

And they gave him such a nice ass, and drew his asscrack multiple times.

And it's adorable how good he is with shit awful kids

>beloved
When Dick became fuckable

Attached: Beefy Dick.jpg (1165x1800, 606K)

Not enough scars.

dont be a dick

>96 issue Tec run
>h-he's Devin Grayson t-tier
Please kill yourself

And the run was shit, even during NML he sold around 50K, sometimes less. He is a mediocre writer that hold grip of the franchise far too long.

DC has always had a soft spot for Dick and he's been in mostly relevant comics, like Batman or Teen Titans and every now and then DC just gives him a Nightwing comic that it always blows ass but they still keep him relevant. From an artists perspective it must be fun to draw him since he's supposed to be acrobatic and fun, so he's like DCs Spiderman and from a writer's he has a lot of possible bits that you can explore, he's a leader so you can put him in any team, he's Batman's original son so he has that story going and he's lighthearted and funny so he can easily be in a more fun comic as opposed to Batman's eternal scowl.

He's just an all around good character and the best thing that happened to him was becoming Batman with Damian, that was a fun run.

Stop moving the goalposts faggot, first he only wrote b titles and crossovers, now it's that his main title run was just bad? Go fuck yourself retard.

It was bad. Just crossover that keep making the franchise more and more convoluted.

All the hard work, aka the only reason you aren't like him. Stop wishing and start working towards your goals.

Well yeah, 'Tec is a B-book.

I'm at least trying to work on my abs and get rid of this skinnyfat pudge. Getting laid is a whole other issue, but for now I can at least work on not looking like a schlub when I lie to myself in the mirror every morning.

Speaking of exercises, does anybody know how to exercise your wangalicious outside of the usual kegels?

Didio wanted to kill Dick in Infinity Crisis, Bludhaven gets nuked after all.

Abs are 99% doing a hard cut then being super strict with your diet. You can do all the crunches and dragon flags you want, if you don't have a spartan mindset you won't get nevermind maintain abs.

Yeah, the diet is one thing I need to work on. Never mind eating right; half the time I'm not even eating at all.

I think if I learn how to /ck/ for myself it'll lead into me getting /fit/.

>At what point did Nightwing become such a beloved character?

Attached: Disco Dick.jpg (758x598, 209K)

>ywn rape dick

In america it's pretty much impossible to maintain a healthy diet without being a total faggot