It clicked

It clicked.

Attached: Metallica_-_Master_of_Puppets_cover.jpg (300x300, 101.96K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/qdlQyNe_9tE
youtu.be/xeK1E1HaMdY
youtu.be/V6Dfo4zDduI
youtu.be/qp9fqO4etHM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

pretty immediate for me but nice

Leper Messiah and Thing That Should Not Be are so boring

bump

It sure did

Attached: 93ff81b26d86267816bbb1d7e1f228d4.jpg (1366x2048, 653.9K)

Wtf I want to fuck Lars

congratulations, now you can join the club of the millions of other people who also enjoy this mediocre album

me in the back

I'm sorry for you

>photos taken moments before disaster

>one of the greatest metal albums of the 80's
>"mediocre"
contrarian retards will never stop being pathetic attention-seeking faggots

ask me how I know you've listened to like 10 metal albums

I care not for what you pretend to know, retard. I'd rather ask you to jump off a bridge, that'll really get people's attention

what's your favorite Manowar album?

>one of the greatest metal albums of the 80's
Not even one of the greatest albums of '86
Not even close

I'm convinced the god-tier artwork is half the reason people consider this boring piece of garbage to be so great.

>Leper Messiah
it sounds like it was written by AI

The one where their schtick is being loud.

what a shocker

people who don't like leper messiah don't like music, unironically
kys yourselves

Liking Metallica doesn't mean you don't also like other metal bands. Truth is all your less popular heroes would tell you that they loved Metallica in the 80's.

>Liking Metallica doesn't mean you don't also like other metal bands.
I never said that.

BOW TO LEPER MESSIAH

Trad thrash has aged like shit. Trad death was strictly an improvement in achieving the intensity these bands were obviously going for and prog/tech thrash was a strict improvement in using the weak, thin sounds that they actually got to an end that suits them better.

Two different styles with two different appeals. When I'm in a thrash mood I don't want to hear death metal and vice versa.

bad production therefore bad, i am a massive faggot

And what would you say Metallica executes for that mood better than, say, Watchtower? For me, that answer is nothing.

Childhood is idolizing Master of Puppets.
Adulthood is realizing ...And Justice For All makes more sense.

Metallica (and the big four really in general) got big because their appeal transcended the thrash audience, and not all of their music even is thrash, but something more accessible

For the "thrash mood" I don't really even think of Metallica aside from Kill Em All and select songs from their other albums, but I still like what Metallica did even if it's not all pure thrash. I don't really know how to explain it but I'm sure you know what I mean, there's no real word for thrash metal that isn't always thrash or sort of evolved from thrash...you couldn't just call it "heavy metal" because it still sounds nothing like that either, and it's also not "groove metal" either

leper messiah is a fucking banger
AJFA is fucking shit
RTL is objectively their best album being the perfect blend of their early thrash sound and their later too-refined sound

RtL>TBA>AJfA>MoP>KeA

leper messiah is a fucking banger
AJFA is the greatest metal album of all time
RTL has Escape and ends with an instrumental which is completely anticlimatic.

this is your brain on metalcore

metallica is thrash metal, period. they invented the fucking genre ffs. the existence of Slayer and Sodom does not make Metallica less thrash.
In fact it this exactly this mindset which killed thrash because every fucking thrash band founded after 1990 is just a garbage Exodus clone.

Escape isn't filler just like leper messiah isn't filler.

escape isn't filler, it's just a slightly less shitty version of Seek and Destroy.

it's very good.
but also, I play guitar, so anything with shredding clicks for me

call of ktulu > orion

Attached: 1647882199709.jpg (630x634, 60.96K)

>metallica is thrash metal, period. they invented the fucking genre ffs
But if thrash metal is defined by speed and aggression, what do you call For Whom The Bell Tolls? That's certainly not thrash by that definition. What do you think defines thrash?

>what do you call For Whom The Bell Tolls?
kino
youtu.be/qdlQyNe_9tE

it's funny cause guitar players love to shit on Metallica and Kirk especifically.

It's like the moment a student learns what a pentatonic scale is, how easy it is to use, and that 90% of Kirk's soloing uses that, they instantly begun to hate the man. It's fascinating.

(I imagine this is some unconscious envy at the realisation that no matter how many scales and arpeggios they learn they'll never get anywhere without God given talent)

like, it's not wrong
I play jazz improv and everyone loves a good pentatonic lick
very simple so when you get better you start getting amazed instead at how artists make it not sound like the pentatonic scale
eric johnson, great example

>metallica is thrash metal, period
MoP and Justice are progressive thrash and I will entertain no arguments to the contrary

>metallica isn't thras-
youtu.be/xeK1E1HaMdY

Is South of Heaven not thrash then?
Find me a song from before 1984 that sounds as aggro as For Whom the Bell Tolls. It's not fast, but it's definitely something new, something that had not been done before.
I should've stated this earlier, but Metallica is the only thrash band that had a proper understanding of dynamics early on.

If thrash is "heavy metal meets hardcore punk", then it seems like albums like Bonded by Blood are simply "hardcore punk meets guitar solos". 0 dynamics, 0 songwriting, 0 understanding of how to make something aggro at less than 200BPM.
Obviously I'm not trying to be one of those annoying "DUDE SAD BUT TRUE IS THE HEAVIEST SONG EVER, YOU DON'T NEED TO BE FAST TO BE HEAVY" bastards, but it's pretty clear to me that For Whom The Bell Tolls, while not being "thrashy", is definitely not something that you would find in a Judas Priest, Iron Maiden or Black Sabbath record. And given the fact that Ride the Lightning was like the 3rd thrash metal album ever released, it doesn't seem like too much of a stretch to think of thrash metal as comprising not only the fast tracks but also the slower ones.

I think there's plenty of tracks both before and after the release of RTL that are metal, and are in the same tempo, but definitely not in the same genre as For Whom the Bell Tolls.

And this notion of thrash metal as something a bit more fluid than simply "speed" is visible on an album like Painkiller, for example. This is clearly the same band that put out Stained Class, but also it's clearly not the same band. It's still traditional heavy metal, but also not - something happened between 1978 and 1990 - namely the release of a couple of albums by a couple of bands in California.

>It's like the moment a student learns what a pentatonic scale is, how easy it is to use, and that 90% of Kirk's soloing uses that, they instantly begun to hate the man. It's fascinating.
I feel I'm about two weeks away from reaching that point. I hope to not be too disillusioned.
It's still entertaining music though regardless of tools used, otherwise you could forever keep falling down the prog and math rock faggotry.

youtu.be/V6Dfo4zDduI
best track comin through

I just can't stand how the lead singer says CHYEAH at the end of every word.

based take
youtu.be/qp9fqO4etHM

>i hope to not to be too disillusioned
as long as you keep in mind that "DUDE STEVE VAI AND YNGWIE AND GUTHRIE GOVAN CAN PLAY MUCH HARDER STUFF" isn't valid criticism, you'll be fine

Most guitar players wish they could have an album so filled with solos as simple yet so memorable such as the Black album

Damn I remember crying to this when I was 12 one day after school

It clicked for me when I was 10 years old, I remember talking about it with some lanky greasy older kid at recess

Attached: 778634542.jpg (474x284, 21.05K)

>crying to the weakest metallica ballad
can't relate. i've only ever cried in *that* part of To Live is To Die.

YE-HEYEAAAHHHHH

I think it's like a dunning-kruger thing. Pentatonic scale is only five notes, sure, but you can abuse it in so many interesting ways
people are quick to shit on it like a solved puzzle without getting their mileage on it, it's a strong tool and you should learn how to use it

i think it's both a dunning-kruger thing and also market saturation. I mean people shit on Zakk Wylde for only using pentatonics, when in reality Zakk consciously chose to use only pentatonics to distinguish himself from the new generation of shredders in the 80s that were inspired by Randy and Yngwie and wanted to shred 3NPs modal stuff.

But sometimes i'm listening to Hardwired and I think to myself, "gee, I really wish this faggot Kirk would play something interesting instead of the same 3 pentatonic licks over and over", but this is more about his personal decline as a player rather than the pentatonic itself.

Ride the Lightning was better

best Metallica album is the black album and their best song is Enter Sandman and I'm not trying to be funny it's the god damn truth

The truly "great" Metallica album. Every other one can fuck off.

People like you make no sense
>i like ONE ALBUM, not other ones that are similar enough, just ONE

>it doesn't seem like too much of a stretch to think of thrash metal as comprising not only the fast tracks but also the slower ones.
I mean most people do view thrash as only being the thrashy sound though, that's the thing. And wouldn't you say about 90 percent of the thrash style sounds similar? The big four are outliers, exceptions to the rule, that's how they got bigger than every other thrash band

I mean really, thrash remained for the most part a fairly niche genre, most bands hardly have any fame at all

idk why but it just brought back a memory of coming home from a shitty day in school, came home and my dad was pissed off at me too and by 4pm it was super dark already and I had this on with no light in my room

Deaf

metallica is just rock on MoP

The most brainlet take I've ever heard, good job retard.